2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

Winner: The Texans' defense

While I'd expect Houston to add a running back to replace departed free agent Devin Singletary, general manager Nick Caserio added two of my favorite free agents to the roster Monday. Both deals appear to be reasonably priced and even take a pair of free agents away from a division rival in Tennessee.

The Titans weren't a great team a year ago, but two things they did well were stop the run and generate pressure up the middle. Some of that was star tackle Jeffery Simmons, but he was aided by the wildly underrated Denico Autry, who posted a career-high 11.5 sacks in his age-33 season. Autry was never going to have a wild market given his age, but I was surprised to see him sign for two years and $20 million this early in free agency. That's a great deal for a player who has been remarkably consistent and can play outside on early downs and rush from the interior in passing situations.

Houston added to the mix by upgrading at linebacker and signing Azeez Al-Shaair on a three-year, $34 million pact. Al-Shaair has always been rangy, but he never seemed to get his just due in San Francisco behind Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw. Given a chance to lead in Tennessee last season, he had his best season as a pro. He posted one of the NFL's lowest missed tackles rate for an off-ball linebacker and recorded nearly 25% of Tennessee's tackles on run plays when he was on the field, the second-highest rate of any player. In reuniting with former 49ers coordinator DeMeco Ryans, Al-Shaair gives Ryans some much-needed speed and quickness at the position.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39633029/2024-nfl-free-agency-grades-signings-trades-latest-best-worst-deals-draft-outlook

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, I want it on the record as well that I don't want Joe Mixon. Good for him for having a successful career in the NFL, prefer he continues it somewhere else. 

Also assuming the Texans are aware of that incident, I doubt they try to acquire him. 

Yep. Mixon isn’t a good culture fit. While they have somewhat backed off the Bible thumper requirement that was present during the Easterby era, good character is still highly valued in the Texans organization. 

They avoided character issue guys way before Easterby discovered what football was. They backed off some smaller issues like guys who've been popped for weed, but I doubt cold cocking a female will pass muster 

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So, the Texans just traded for a massive character issue who was about to be released?

Fucking Christ, man.

They risked losing him to a team offering more money. It's probably a 7th rounder or a pick swap. No big deal

• Hook 'Em 3

If Houston comes across a RB they love in the middle rounds in this draft and they don't see Pierce as a long term starter, they could easily draft him to be their RB2 this year and then be a three year starter after that 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

If Houston comes across a RB they love in the middle rounds in this draft and they don't see Pierce as a long term starter, they could easily draft him to be their RB2 this year and then be a three year starter after that 

Exactly. I wouldn’t be surprised they draft Corum in the 3rd.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

They risked losing him to a team offering more money. It's probably a 7th rounder or a pick swap. No big deal

Okay, fine -- they paid a reasonable price for a complete piece of shit.  Cool.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Fuck Joe Mixon.  Do not want.  Some lines can't be uncrossed, and I refuse to believe he will ever be anything other than a gigantic piece of human fucking garbage.

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Any stipulations about not smashing in a girl's face or pulling a gun on someone?

he can live in the 5th ward, that’s just a normal day over there 

• Like 1

So $5.2-$6.0MM and a 7th rounder for a one-year deal; I can live with that. Pick up a RB in the draft and hope that Dameon Pierce is more productive in Year 2 in the system, and that’s a solid RB core. Still would like to sign/draft a potential starter at G or C….

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

+/- 3.7 YPC for Sooner trash this season? Who besides Icono thinks he'll hit the over?

He was 8th in the league in rushing behind a below average line on a team missing Joe Burrow for most of the season. Also, he is a good receiver for the RB position.

Edited by Macklemore

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he can live in the 5th ward, that’s just a normal day over there 

Plus they have 260,000 other things to clear up if he does pull a Mixon. Thanks Art.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I want to like the Texans. I've always wanted to like the Texans. Problem is, time and time again, they cannot get out of their own way. Winning or losing, how in the fuck do you make a move for Joe Mixon? He's a known piece of human shit and he's a sooner. Foreman is still unsigned, no? Henry just inked with the Ravens and was available. There were other options. The Texans can't help themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

I think Mixon will be dynamic in this offense. Need to take pressure off CJ and he’s a threat in both phases of the offense. 

Yeah, he'll definitely be a threat in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

One of the best parts of the Texans' resurgence is how likable Demeco, CJ, and WAJ are off the field as well. Good vibes everywhere after the Deshaun and Easterby fiascos. 

Mixon better be a revelation on offense next year. Just not worth the risk otherwise. Wish we could have gotten Aaron Jones on that 1 year deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Macklemore said:

That happened 10 years ago when he was a 17 year old. 

Lulz. He was piece of shit 10 years ago, he's a piece of shit now,  and he'll be a piece of shit until he's pushing up daisies. But go team!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Caserio needs to get this done.

Armstead is the other potential difference maker on the DL, although SF hasn't officially cut him yet, which means they're fishing for a trade

Houston will also sign a safety, although there are options there

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Pro and college are different. You can’t cheer for a pro team with your Texas goggles on. Mixon is a great pickup if you view it through football and production with this offense. Get another one in the draft and we will have great depth. 

It has nothing to do with the fact that he went to ou.

He punched a girl in the face.

He can be lit on fire as far as I'm concerned.

• Hook 'Em 2

Its a good football move vs Henry getting 9M and Barkley getting 12-14M.   I also like it as it means we are no longer only looking at boyscouts like when Daddy was alive.

All that being said, it feels gross and hope it is just for one year. And if he snaps his ankle on the last play from scrimmage next year, that wont bother me at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck Joe Mixon. I hope on his first play he puts his knee on backwards while scrambling his brain and has to eat through a tube for the rest of his life. Casserio might as well go see if Ray Rice has any more carries left in him too. 

• Fuck You 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

All that being said, it feels gross and hope it is just for one year.

200w.gif.6bb12d460332617b2eff719301b9e161.gif

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Which would be a better fit, Dobbins or Foreman?