2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

If accurate, if Diggs leaves after a year the Texans might get a 3rd Rd compensatory pick per Pelissero.  So this trade may end up being even less expensive than first thought.

Talk on Diggs restructure 12:45 min mark

NFL Insider Tom Pelissero Talks NFL Draft, Stefon Diggs, More | Full Interview | The Rich Eisen Show

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

T’Vondre picked up a DWI this afternoon. Though I’m not sure he’s an ideal fit for the Texans, this could make him available at #59. 

Damn, TSweat might be available at:

• Round 3: No. 86, or

• Round 4: No. 123

On 2/1/2024 at 7:49 AM, Fud said:

Someone who I'm interested in as a mid-round RB is Ray Davis from Kentucky. This year they ran a similar offense to Slowik's, and he excelled in it 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:19 AM, Fud said:

In the second round, best player available at anything but QB, RB, or C. AD Mitchell won't be there in the second. Sweat probably won't be there in the second. Sanders might be. 

At RB, I think you sign a cheap vet (re-sign Singletary?) and draft a RB mid to late (I like Ray Davis)

On 3/12/2024 at 7:56 AM, Fud said:

There isn't a first round RB in this class, but there are ~9 good RBs who can be in rotations as rookies. Ray Davis played for a McVay guy at Kentucky, so he should be able to step in day one, for instance

Were people freaking out last year before Caserio signed Singletary for $3.75m? How did that turn out? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2024 at 12:09 PM, Planet Houston said:

I heard on the radio that once the Texans restructured his deal, they forfeited their right to a compensatory pick if he walks in FA. I have no idea which one is right, that guy clearly believes they get the pick. 🤷‍♂️

I think that’s the case any time you specifically shorten the length of an existing contract vs just restructuring it but might be wrong…

The Sweat news probably does move him down or off the board for the Texans, but someone else will pick him up in the late 2nd or early 3rd. Jalen Carter was drafted by the Eagles last year, despite having pending legal issues with street racing that killed 2 people. He was runner-up to Will Anderson for Defensive Rookie of the Year voting. I'm sure some teams wish they hadn't passed on him over character concerns.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Added a couple more visits for Houston, along with Brugler's rankings

Houston's picks

4th

4th

6th

6th

7th

7th

40- Kingsley Suamataia- OL

46- Edgerrin Cooper- ILB

53- Javon Bullard- S

60- Michael Hall Jr- DT

65- Adisa Isaac- Edge

72- Spencer Rattler- QB

99- Christian Mahogany- OL

4th rounder- Javon Baker- WR

4th- Ray Davis- RB

4th- Jaylin Simpson- S

4th/5th- Jordan Magee- ILB

4th/5th- Isaac Guerendo- RB

5th- Matt Goncalves- OL

5th- Luke McCaffrey- WR

5th/6th- Mohamed Kamara- Edge

Not ranked- Qwantez Stiggers- CB

Nine picks for Texans if I counted right.  May need to combine a couple and move up if the right player(s) are available.

@Fud is there any talk about strengths and depth in 2025 and 2026 drafts?? 

Just seems with more QBs and extra year COVID players in this 2024 draft, gonna be more value available in later rounds in this draft than other drafts???

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Nine picks for Texans if I counted right.  May need to combine a couple and move up if the right player(s) are available.

@Fud is there any talk about strengths and depth in 2025 and 2026 drafts?? 

Just seems with more QBs and extra year COVID players in this 2024 draft, gonna be more value available in later rounds in this draft than other drafts???

I don't think forecasting the ends of future drafts is a particularly accurate exercise. At best you can maybe have an idea of who some of the super blue chips are 

A consolidation trade could make sense, or they could just draft their picks

• Like 1

Updating the 30 visits list. "Local visits" which are either prospects who went to high school or college in the area don't count against the 30. I'm including the "local visits" who reportedly visited solo with the 30 visits, while I'm putting those who did a Texans local camp in italics because I think that shows a slightly lesser form of interest from Houston

image.png.a238cdc4a8a76c9c1cc677cdd9c53458.png

Quick mock draft through their 4th round picks

42- Michael Hall Jr (Ohio State DT)

59- Javon Bullard (Georgia S)

86- Christian Mahogany (Boston College OL)

122- Ray Davis (Kentucky RB)

126- Jaylin Simpson (Auburn S)

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Another guy who's in the second round range. Very skilled, but below average measurables and has some medicals

Can’t say I watched a lot of Mizzou this year but Rakestraw appears on a lot of ‘high propensity for bust’ lists….

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Can’t say I watched a lot of Mizzou this year but Rakestraw appears on a lot of ‘high propensity for bust’ lists….

That’s easier go swallow the farther you get into the draft 

I think they need to get 2 starters in the second round. 

It’ll be too early for safety at 42, and I’m not sure there’s value for a safety at 59 either. I’d go corner at 42, and best available iDL or OG at 59.

They can’t depend on Kenyon Green to do shit other than medically retire. Guard needs to get addressed in the second or third rounds. 

Texans picks from Brugler's 7 round mock

42) Mike Sainristil- CB- Michigan

59) Ruke Orhorhoro- DT- Clemson

86) Kamren Kinches- S- Miami

123) Brandon Coleman- OL- TCU

127) Will Shipley- RB- Clemson

188) Jaylen Harrell- Edge- East Michigan

189- Nathaniel Watson- LB- Miss State

247- Willie Drew- CB- Virginia State

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Texans picks from Brugler's 7 round mock

42) Mike Sainristil- CB- Michigan

59) Ruke Orhorhoro- DT- Clemson

86) Kamren Kinches- S- Miami

123) Brandon Coleman- OL- TCU

127) Will Shipley- RB- Clemson

188) Jaylen Harrell- Edge- East Michigan

189- Nathaniel Watson- LB- Miss State

247- Willie Drew- CB- Virginia State

All over Sainristil; he’s a total DeMeco guy. My Clemson co-workers (live in ATL) are split on Ruke; all agree he’s a leader and effort is there, but may be more athlete than football player. Dudes universally love Shipley, especially on 3rd down….

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

🤔

Looks badass to me for one of our uni combos. They pulled off a unique NFL helmet. Can’t wait to see the jersey it pairs with.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rip76 said:

This would be killer minus the red shoes.

IMG_4811.jpeg

I would lose the shoulder pad stripe or make it red because it’s a little too Chargers but like it otherwise. That white helmet is tight…

Astros will need to get right asap. Texans trending in right direction. We all know how fickle houston fans are when it comes to supporting non winning teams. Entertainment dollars only go so far. Sure Texans will get a few prime time games in 2024 also. They are expanding the brand

• Hook 'Em 1