2024 Oscar Nominees

BigDHornfan

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Reddick and Treat Williams were major motion film actors. Somers, God bless her, was a TV star. 

When the lead on you is The Wire you were not a major motion picture star. John Wick aside there is nothing else that pops out from motion pictures and they only have so much time. 

I will allow on Williams being in several things but again his television resume is longer and where he was more recognized for performances (Emmys GG) and the motion picture part generally peaked in the 70s/80s   Maybe the one most on the edge  

Lear was by far more meaningful than any of them but that’s TV all the way

Suzanne had nice thighs and Chrissy was fun  

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it was so small on the screen nobody could read it anyway. 

14 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Yeah, they fucked that whole segment up with the people dancing and singing live and the camera shots of the screen in the theater showing the deceased.  

I was so mortified that somebody decided that segment was about singers and dancers instead of the actual fucking content. It's better with a simple accompaniment often by a single instrument. Historically, it's been one of the best loved bits on the show.

I was surprised to hear Glenda Jackson and Piper Laurie. The former is famous. Laurie was in The Hustler, Carrie, and Twin Peaks among other things. Always loved her. She was unique.

Because I kind of love her:

piper-laurie-everett.jpg

piper-laurie-dead.jpg

piper-laurie-carrie1.jpg

75aecffcbfcee1a741abad06780e57d3?impolic

Beautiful and interesting at every age. RIP

Hair, Once Upon a Time in America, Smooth Talk (my personal fav), Deep End of the Ocean, 1941, Prince of the City,  Devil's Own...i mean he was in quite a few movies. pretty glaring omission imo. 

On 3/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, DixonHur said:

Watching it now.  I find it fascinating.

At first I thought like you, but then I realized that was the point and power of the story.

How people can live "normal", seemingly boring lives while unspeakable horrors are being carried out, literally next door.

It's an amazing character study, IMO.

I am sure it is a well done movie. I had several chances to watch it, but decided not to. I have had my fill of movies about nazi Germany. I want to see movies that are uplifting in nature. Again I am sure it is well done, but I prefer to not see films like that one. Perfect Days was and is what I hope to see in a film and it is who I would have voted for in that category. 

On 3/12/2024 at 11:04 PM, Surly Bevo said:

When the lead on you is The Wire you were not a major motion picture star. John Wick aside there is nothing else that pops out from motion pictures and they only have so much time. 

I will allow on Williams being in several things but again his television resume is longer and where he was more recognized for performances (Emmys GG) and the motion picture part generally peaked in the 70s/80s   Maybe the one most on the edge  

Lear was by far more meaningful than any of them but that’s TV all the way

Suzanne had nice thighs and Chrissy was fun  

The fucking issue is that they used prime time ad screen real estate to lament marketing execs and admin assistants that no one besides studio employees knew or cared about.

regardless of how small or stupid the font was, it still should fill the tv screen at home.  it didn't.  it was basically a concert with stuff going on in the background.  matthew perry, arguably the guy you end on, was barely given a moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, RomaVicta said:

Watched Anatomy of a Fall last night. WTF? It's average. It's also way too long. 

Just watched and agree. There was never any plot twist or even a climax really. Just sort of a semi sad courtroom drama.