American Fiction
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Killers of the Flower Moon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Best Original Song

"The Fire Inside" from Flamin' Hot, music and lyric by Diane Warren
"I'm Just Ken" from Barbie, music and lyric by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt
"It Never Went Away" from American Symphony, music and lyric by Jon Batiste and Dan Wilson
"Wahzhaze (A Song for My People) from Killers of the Flower Moon, music and lyric by Scott George
What Was I Made For? from Barbie, music and lyric by Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell

Best Sound

The Creator
Maestro
Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
The Zone of Interest

Best Production Design

Barbie
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Best Cinematography

El Conde
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Golda
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Society of the Snow

Best Costume Design

Barbie
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Best Film Editing

Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Best Visual Effects

The Creator
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One
Napoleon

Academy Honorary Awards

Angela Bassett
Mel Brooks
Carol Littleton

• Hook 'Em 1

Japan didn’t submit Godzilla Minus One for pretty much anything but the visual effects category because they didn’t anticipate the kind of reception it got at all. Would’ve been a lock for best international film at least. Whoops. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Oppenheimer bout to run train on these fools 

I don't think it's the best movie of the year or even in my top four, but I am glad it's a movie of some substance and very well made. 

I'm also happy that some of the movies that I prefer are at least nominated. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the movies admired on this bulletin board, particularly The Zone of Interest.

There's not a single movie nominated that makes me roll my eyes. I've yet to see Barbie because I, evidently errantly, thought it would be just such a movie.

A great variety in scale, subject matter, and commercialness. Couldn't ask for much more.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Japan didn’t submit Godzilla Minus One for pretty much anything but the visual effects category because they didn’t anticipate the kind of reception it got at all. Would’ve been a lock for best international film at least. Whoops. 

I liked Godzilla Minus One.  It is an excellent Godzilla story and well made.  There is no way in the world it would ever sniff the best international film.  

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’ve seen 8 of the best picture noms. Past Lives is easily my favorite but I’m sure Oppenheimer will win. 

I've seen 8 as well (need to see American Fiction an Maestro).  My personal ranking so far.

Past Lives/Anatomy of a Fall/Poor Things

The Zone of Interest/Oppenheimer/Killers of the Flower Moon

The Holdovers

Barbie

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I’ve seen 8 of the best picture noms. Past Lives is easily my favorite but I’m sure Oppenheimer will win. 

I loved Past Lives. I'm really surprised that Celine Song didn't get nominated for best director and that Greta Lee didn't get nominated for best actress.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Leo and Margot both missed out, interesting.

love that I'm Just Ken got a nod! 😆 though I don't see it beating Billie.

Supporting Actor might be the strongest category. i called Deniro getting his third Oscar, he was incredible in a beneficent sociopath way. but RDJr was great as well and it just might be his turn...🤔

having said that...Gosling absolutely stole the show and i would love if he took it 😆

good year for movies imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Leo and Margot both missed out, interesting.

love that I'm Just Ken got a nod! 😆 though I don't see it beating Billie.

Supporting Actor might be the strongest category. i called Deniro getting his third Oscar, he was incredible in a beneficent sociopath way. but RDJr was great as well and it just might be his turn...🤔

having said that...Gosling absolutely stole the show and i would love if he took it 😆

good year for movies imo.

My money is on Robert Downey, Jr.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

I loved Past Lives. I'm really surprised that Celine Song didn't get nominated for best director and that Greta Lee didn't get nominated for best actress.

Wow, Greta Lee not nominated is really shocking to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Greta Gerwig not being nominated best director for Barbie shocks me.

Christopher Nolan and Martin Scorsese don’t deserve theirs, but I’m not surprised by either, even though  KOTFM is a very bad, poorly directed movie. 

It does drive home the point of Barbie, though. 🤷

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, someguy said:

I liked Godzilla Minus One.  It is an excellent Godzilla story and well made.  There is no way in the world it would ever sniff the best international film.  

I've seen 8 as well (need to see American Fiction an Maestro).  My personal ranking so far.

Past Lives/Anatomy of a Fall/Poor Things

The Zone of Interest/Oppenheimer/Killers of the Flower Moon

The Holdovers

Barbie

Swap AoF and ZoI and I agree with this list.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Greta Gerwig not being nominated best director for Barbie shocks me.

Christopher Nolan and Martin Scorsese don’t deserve theirs, but I’m not surprised by either, even though  KOTFM is a very bad, poorly directed movie. 

It does drive home the point of Barbie, though. 🤷

does it? Because Barbie is the one movie that sticks out as a sore thumb for being nominated.  It was definitely a cultural phenomenon and might have been fun, but it was an absolute trainwreck from a writing/directing perspective.  If there is one movie people will look back on in 20 years and wonder what the heck people were thinking, it will be Barbie.  That being said, I am also shocked Gerwig wasn't nominated.  

I'm really happy to see Triet nominated.  Anatomy of a Fall is such a well written, well acted, well directed movie, and if even one facet was subpar the entire film would have collapsed.  Incredibly well conceived and constructed.

I'll save my outrage for Song (and Greta Lee for actress).  I know it is a deeply unpopular opinion, but Nolan has incredible strengths as a director/film maker but also some massive weaknesses.  There was much to admire about Oppenheimer, but I thought the direction held the film back.  I'd kick Nolan out and put in Song (and bump Bening for Lee while we're at it).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

White hot take here. What makes you say it was poorly directed?

Weird casting, bad pacing, poor storytelling, you name it. It’s the same set of problems that he had with Gangs of New York. 
 Scorsese is great at taking a small story and making it into the story of a world- Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Italian American, Pretend it’s a City, even The Aviator. But when he tries to tell a big story it ends up being less than the sum of its parts because he’s just too precious with all the pieces, even when they don’t fit.. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Barbie should absolutely not been nominated for Best Picture. 

It was pretty good for what it was, but definitely not an achievement in film making.  Maybe a nomination for set direction, but that's about it.

I'll join the chorus for Past Lives.  Really good character study...I also really liked Holdovers for the same reason.

But Oppenheimer will most likely win...even if it was much too long, and dragging IMO.

But Oscar gonna Oscar.  Best Picture has become the Heisman of film awards.

56 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Weird casting, bad pacing, poor storytelling, you name it. It’s the same set of problems that he had with Gangs of New York. 

Funny, I tend to agree about Gangs of New York but see KOTFM completely differently. Generally thought the cast and performances were great (aside from whatever Brendon Fraser was doing) and the pacing wasn’t a problem. I felt the 3.5 hrs, but not in a bad way if that makes sense. 

More so, I really push back that it was a poorly directed movie when there are a few sequences that were so well done and memorable that only a handful of people could have pulled them off. Specifically the ending, which was incredible. I don’t know if anyone else alive could have made it work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

going into the golden globes, lilly gladstone and cillian murphy were locks, and they both won.  then in the critics choice, the 2 that won for comedy (emma stone and giamatti) both overtook the 2 that won for drama - that rarely happens.  will be interesting if that trend continues.

downey will win and should win.  funny that he made a speech at critics choice about the critics panning several of his earlier performances, because it seems that while his personal life was a mess (pre iron man obviously), his work was usually solid, if underappreciated.  unless it was a review of back to school or johnny b goode or something dumb.

I had to chuckle when I saw KOTFM got nominated for best editing.  Scorsese is a legend, but he and Thelma Schoonmaker have fallen off badly in that department, IMO.  I liked KOTFM in general, but thought it was bloated with unnecessarily drawn-out scenes as well as scenes that didn't advance the plot much.  The Irishman had the same problem -- even worse, actually.  I guess I'm in the minority with this opinion. 

4 hours ago, someguy said:

does it? Because Barbie is the one movie that sticks out as a sore thumb for being nominated.  It was definitely a cultural phenomenon and might have been fun, but it was an absolute trainwreck from a writing/directing perspective.  If there is one movie people will look back on in 20 years and wonder what the heck people were thinking, it will be Barbie.  That being said, I am also shocked Gerwig wasn't nominated.  

I'm really happy to see Triet nominated.  Anatomy of a Fall is such a well written, well acted, well directed movie, and if even one facet was subpar the entire film would have collapsed.  Incredibly well conceived and constructed.

I'll save my outrage for Song (and Greta Lee for actress).  I know it is a deeply unpopular opinion, but Nolan has incredible strengths as a director/film maker but also some massive weaknesses.  There was much to admire about Oppenheimer, but I thought the direction held the film back.  I'd kick Nolan out and put in Song (and bump Bening for Lee while we're at it).

image.png.41013d3bd61fe07a0f8d1243a3269bb2.png

4 hours ago, someguy said:

lol, did I accidentally open Reddit?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

More so, I really push back that it was a poorly directed movie when there are a few sequences that were so well done and memorable that only a handful of people could have pulled them off. Specifically the ending, which was incredible. I don’t know if anyone else alive could have made it work. 

If you haven't, you really need to watch The Zone of Interest

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

downey will win and should win.  funny that he made a speech at critics choice about the critics panning several of his earlier performances, because it seems that while his personal life was a mess (pre iron man obviously), his work was usually solid, if underappreciated.  unless it was a review of back to school or johnny b goode or something dumb.

Strongly disagree that he deserves it for Oppenheimer. It was biopic acting in a biopic, and that's fine, but he's going to win for his whole body of work instead. 

I would be fine with any of the other nominees winning over RDJ, and I'm a fan of his. 

Also I'm honestly not that mad about the Greta and Margot "snubs." I love Barbie, but the direction, while not as dire as some dudebros like to say it is, doesn't compare with any of the other nominees. I feel the same about Margot's performance. Sorry, she was great, but doesn't compare to any of the other nominees, and Ryan Gosling stole every scene he was in and had to display a great range of doll emoting. 

"I'm Just Ken" should also beat out Billie Eilish. Sometimes it just be like that. 

My favorite thing about this year's Oscars is Bradley Cooper not being nominated for Best Director because lol fuck that guy and his ever more desperate grasping for artistic validation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, safe sex said:

Strongly disagree that he deserves it for Oppenheimer. It was biopic acting in a biopic, and that's fine, but he's going to win for his whole body of work instead. 

I would be fine with any of the other nominees winning over RDJ, and I'm a fan of his. 

Also I'm honestly not that mad about the Greta and Margot "snubs." I love Barbie, but the direction, while not as dire as some dudebros like to say it is, doesn't compare with any of the other nominees. I feel the same about Margot's performance. Sorry, she was great, but doesn't compare to any of the other nominees, and Ryan Gosling stole every scene he was in and had to display a great range of doll emoting. 

"I'm Just Ken" should also beat out Billie Eilish. Sometimes it just be like that. 

My favorite thing about this year's Oscars is Bradley Cooper not being nominated for Best Director because lol fuck that guy and his ever more desperate grasping for artistic validation.

Also, let's not forget that Greta and Margot were both nominated for other Oscars for Barbie

7 minutes ago, safe sex said:

i thought cooper the director was better than cooper the actor or maestro the movie.  technically the movie was very good to great.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Also why was Maestro nominated for Best Makeup, when they put that monstrosity of a prosthetic on him

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i thought cooper the director was better than cooper the actor or maestro the movie.  technically the movie was very good to great.  

I also don't think he should be nominated for Best Actor

15 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Also why was Maestro nominated for Best Makeup, when they put that monstrosity of a prosthetic on him

I also don't think he should be nominated for Best Actor

Weird. I saw this movie called Napoleon that kicks all these movies in the ass. Directed by some guy named Scott. I think he's got potential

31 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I told mrs. sunshine that Barbie had Best Picture potential after the first hour or so and then had to walk it back sometime during the last hour or so

it's not like RDJr has been nominated as many times as Leo or Pacino or Paul Newman were before they finally won...i mean talk about 'bodies of work'! 

Gosling and RDJr have both been nominated 3 times, including this year. i'm not necessarily saying Gosling deserves to win more, just that it wouldn't be a travesty if he did. he killed that role.

and yes there is some irony that he's the one that got a nod lol. oh well...Hollywood's always been full of horses 🐎 😄

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

it's not like RDJr has been nominated as many times as Leo or Pacino or Paul Newman were before they finally won...i mean talk about 'bodies of work'! 

Gosling and RDJr have both been nominated 3 times, including this year. i'm not necessarily saying Gosling deserves to win more, just that it wouldn't be a travesty if he did. he killed that role.

and yes there is some irony that he's the one that got a nod lol. oh well...Hollywood's always been full of horses 🐎 😄

I suppose by "body of work," I really more of his life story, which includes some great acting. But he went from a young star to a pariah to one of our biggest and last remaining movie stars. The Academy eats that kind of shit up. He "deserves" an Oscar as he's a great actor; I just don't think he should get it for Oppenheimer, which I really enjoyed. But his section of the film was the weirdest and least necessary, and his acting wasn't anything we haven't seen before in plenty of other biopics. The women fuckin' crushed it tho. So hard to choose between Emma and Lily and Sandra. I haven't seen Annette's film, but I love her to death. Carey Mulligan is lovely, but I just irrationally don't care about Maestro in any way whatsoever.

Edited by safe sex