2024 Oscar Nominees

BigDHornfan

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

I kind of think for the movie to work within the grander vision Robbie had to play Barbie pretty straight.  The character + performance didn't really lend itself to being Oscar nom worthy.   She's a hot 33 year old with strong to quite strong acting chops....she's gonna get other opportunities.  

Agreed she’s a solider. They asked her to play the straight man and that’s exactly what she did. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 6:28 PM, DDD Dad said:

Anyone else seen American Fiction?  Jeffrey wright was fantastic, and the whole movie was very entertaining. I laughed out loud several times. 

Purely based on how much I enjoyed the watch I would give it the nod over the other nominees I’ve seen (Oppenheimer, Barbie, KOTFM, Maestro)

American Fiction was terrific. It's not going to win, but it is certainly a worthy nominee.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, RomaVicta said:

Watched Anatomy of a Fall last night. WTF? It's average. It's also way too long. 

Damn that’s disappointing to hear. We do all the best pic noms each year and this is next for us after American Fiction. Of the movies I’ve seen this year this is my top 5. I imagine American Fiction will bump out my number 5.

1. Ferrari

2. Holdovers

3. Opp

4. Poor Things

5. The Killer

37 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Damn that’s disappointing to hear. We do all the best pic noms each year and this is next for us after American Fiction. Of the movies I’ve seen this year this is my top 5. I imagine American Fiction will bump out my number 5.

1. Ferrari

2. Holdovers

3. Opp

4. Poor Things

5. The Killer

We do the same every year and then watch the awards with friends. I've seen your top 3. Gotta get busy on the rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

1. Ferrari

2. Holdovers

3. Opp

4. Poor Things

5. The Killer

47 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We do the same every year and then watch the awards with friends. I've seen your top 3. Gotta get busy on the rest.

Still need to watch:

Zone of Interest

Past Lives

Anatomy of a Fall

Poor Things

My Current rankings:

American Fiction

The Holdovers

Oppenheimer

Maestro

KOTFM

Barbie

Who I think will win:

Oppenheimer

29 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Still need to watch:

Zone of Interest

Past Lives

Anatomy of a Fall

Poor Things

My Current rankings:

American Fiction

The Holdovers

Oppenheimer

Maestro

KOTFM

Barbie

Who I think will win:

Oppenheimer

I still need to see Zone of Interest also but gotta be in the right mood to watch that. Oppenheimer is going to win basically everything imo.

My top ten for 2023 was:

1. KOTFM

2. Past Lives

3. The Zone of Interest

4. Oppenheimer

5. Anatomy of a Fall

6. Passages

7. The Killer

8. When Evil Lurks*

9. May December

10. A Fire

Of the remaining Best Pic noms, my order would probably be Poor Things, Maestro, Barbie, and The Holdovers. Have not seen American Fiction yet. 

*As an aside, what a mediocre year for horror, as I usually have more than 1 in my top 10. Talk to Me, No One Will Save You and Skinamarink were in my Top 30, and Sick, Huersa, Birth/Rebirth, Perpetrator and Cobweb were all ok. Scream was fine. I thought Evil Dead Rise sucked, but maybe I'm just tired of the plot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm preferring the smaller movies I've seen thus far: Past Lives and Holdovers. Their both more memorable to me than Oppenheimer or Flower Moon. 

Seconded. Enjoyed Past Lives and Holdovers more than Oppenheimer of KOTFM. But I did like all 4.

On that note, Past Lives was really, really good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Of the ones I've seen I'd rate them:

Oppenheimer

Poor Things

Holdovers

American Fiction

Killers of the Flower Moon

Barbie

I haven't seen:

Anatomy of a Fall

Past Lives

Maestro

Zone of Interest

I'm not sure if I'll see the last 2 or not.

I’ll make a more full throated post on the Oppenheimer thread, but just watched it last night and it left me scratching my head thinking why does everyone think it’s so great. I mean it’s fine, but it’s not excellent in any means, and maybe it’s because I saw it months later outside of the hype cycle, but it felt like a marginally better Napoleon with worse costumes.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

My rankings/choices after seeing them all:

Past Lives

Zone of Interest 

Oppenheimer 

American Fiction

Killers of the Flower Moon

Poor Things

Holdovers

Anatomy of a Fall

Barbie

Maestro 

Best Actress - Lily Gladstone

Best Actor - Cillian Murphy

Best Supporting Actress - Emily Blunt

Best Supporting Actor - Mark Ruffalo

Best Director - Christopher Nolan

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I’ll make a more full throated post on the Oppenheimer thread, but just watched it last night and it left me scratching my head thinking why does everyone think it’s so great. I mean it’s fine, but it’s not excellent in any means, and maybe it’s because I saw it months later outside of the hype cycle, but it felt like a marginally better Napoleon with worse costumes.

Vine Ok GIF

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

My Oscar Nominated rankings 

1. Oppenheimer

2. Barbie

3. Killers of the Flower Moon

I haven't seen:

Anatomy of a Fall

Past Lives

Maestro

Zone of Interest

Poor Things

Holdovers

American Fiction

So you haven’t seen most of the best nominees. 

On 2/10/2024 at 8:18 PM, nycHorn said:

Holdovers was excellent. Feels like a movie that doesn’t get made much anymore.

Agree, unfortunately. Well written, great story, terrific acting and directing. American Fiction was like that, too. We need more movies like those 2. 

• Like 1

I got Past Lives, KOTFM, Poor Things, Oppy & American Fiction in order. Anatomy was good, but not really good-to-great like the others. Just need to see Holdovers. Been meaning to catch it.

Saw Poor Things today and was thoroughly entertained. That director has some films I really like, this might be the best.

• Hook 'Em 1

After years of saying I was going to do it, I finally did the Shorts screening at the Alamo.  I just had time to do the Animated this week.   To me, the two best were probably Pachyderm and Ninety-Five Senses.  Pachyderm was interesting and then really got rough when you realize what's happening.  Just a brutal final line.  Ninety-Five Senses was fun and they lull you into it until it hits pretty hard in the end.  Both were really good and I have thought a lot about them since.

I actually really liked one of the extra ones they showed, Wild Summon, too.  I don't necessarily agree with the stance (eating animals is cruel) because I like meat, but it was great visually and could be effective if I was open to it.

I'll do the Live Action next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Stringer said:

After years of saying I was going to do it, I finally did the Shorts screening at the Alamo.  I just had time to do the Animated this week.   To me, the two best were probably Pachyderm and Ninety-Five Senses.  Pachyderm was interesting and then really got rough when you realize what's happening.  Just a brutal final line.  Ninety-Five Senses was fun and they lull you into it until it hits pretty hard in the end.  Both were really good and I have thought a lot about them since.

I actually really liked one of the extra ones they showed, Wild Summon, too.  I don't necessarily agree with the stance (eating animals is cruel) because I like meat, but it was great visually and could be effective if I was open to it.

I'll do the Live Action next week.

those were my two favorites as well, though I liked Nine-Five Senses significantly more.  

Wild Summon was so strange - I didn't particularly like it or not like it, but it was certainly memorable.  

I thought War Is Over was insipid and only nominated because it is backed by John Lennon's name.  I'm already annoyed it is probably going to win.

Zone of Interest was the most disappointing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It was literally “guy that works at Auschwitz lives next to it with his family”. That’s the entire fucking movie. 105 minutes of watching grass grow would’ve been less boring. 

45 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Zone of Interest was the most disappointing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It was literally “guy that works at Auschwitz lives next to it with his family”. That’s the entire fucking movie. 105 minutes of watching grass grow would’ve been less boring. 

Looks like Zone of Interest will be winning Best Picture.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Thanks for the rec. I'll have to check it out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

What were you expecting exactly?

21 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What were you expecting exactly?

Something with at least an interesting story. That’s not what it was. Not one character develops or changes throughout the movie. The biggest (only?) conflict is the wife kind of not wanting to move to a new town. The entire movie is the family doing boring mundane shit around the house and the dad contemplating moving locations for work. It was terrible.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

I got the point. Banality of evil. Evil people can be otherwise normal. Wow what an edgy and incomprehensible concept. Would you want to watch a 90 minute documentary about Bin Laden making a sandwich to understand that? 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Something with at least an interesting story. That’s not what it was. Not one character develops or changes throughout the movie. The biggest (only?) conflict is the wife kind of not wanting to move to a new town. The entire movie is the family doing boring mundane shit around the house and the dad contemplating moving locations for work. It was terrible.

I think you maybe missed the point of the movie.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I got the point. Banality of evil. Evil people can be otherwise normal. Wow what an edgy and incomprehensible concept. Would you want to watch a 90 minute documentary about Bin Laden making a sandwich to understand that? 

Well why did you watch it then? It’s not like the pretended it was about something else. It’s pretty clear from trailers and reviews that the movie is very simple.

I saw WW2 & best picture nomination and wanted to check it out. I was not expecting the most boring movie I’ve ever seen. Maybe that’s my fault. Should’ve paid closer attention to that critic score/audience score gap for the reviews online.

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I saw WW2 & best picture nomination and wanted to check it out. I was not expecting the most boring movie I’ve ever seen. Maybe that’s my fault. Should’ve paid closer attention to that critic score/audience score gap for the reviews online.

If only Hedwig had confiscated a motorcycle from the Jews, she could have taken it on some sweet jumps this movie could have been a big hit! Glazer, you buffoon! Give the people what they want!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Some movies hit you over the head with an anvil.  Some use a scalpel.  Some movies like to preach at you and some like to ask questions and invite reflection and examination.  Most people are either plot driven, character driven, or vibe/setting driven.  I'm a character guy myself, but ultimately you like what you like.  No shame in that.

Sure - Zone of Interest wasn't introducing a brand new concept.  But what I liked about the film is how it went about showing its point.  The sounds of Auschwitz were going on constantly - did you key in on them, or did you eventually find yourself adapting and tuning them out?  We know Nazis are evil - but that evil is presented in a different way.  The family is otherwise ordinary, but for the absolutely confounding fact that they seem totally unfazed by what is happening all around them.  Grandma only lasts a few days before having to bail, so we know that the awfulness of what is happening is perceptible to others.  So why are these people so immune?  Dad is consumed with advancing his career.  He wants recognition for his work, more titles, more respect, more worth.  Mom is invested in her kids and is willing to go to great lengths to ensure they have the best environment to live in, according to her eyes.  Wouldn't you agree that the pursuit of professional success, and the way parents get myopic and absorbed by what they perceive to be the best for their children, transcend Nazi Germany and would be in operation today?  If so, what are some things that your are absorbed in?  What is distracting you from the presence of evil around you?

I get why this film might not be liked or leave someone feeling it is lacking in plot, but to reduce it "banality of evil, I get it" is to do a great disservice to what makes the film worthwhile.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, someguy said:

Some movies hit you over the head with an anvil.  Some use a scalpel.  Some movies like to preach at you and some like to ask questions and invite reflection and examination.  Most people are either plot driven, character driven, or vibe/setting driven.  I'm a character guy myself, but ultimately you like what you like.  No shame in that.

Sure - Zone of Interest wasn't introducing a brand new concept.  But what I liked about the film is how it went about showing its point.  The sounds of Auschwitz were going on constantly - did you key in on them, or did you eventually find yourself adapting and tuning them out?  We know Nazis are evil - but that evil is presented in a different way.  The family is otherwise ordinary, but for the absolutely confounding fact that they seem totally unfazed by what is happening all around them.  Grandma only lasts a few days before having to bail, so we know that the awfulness of what is happening is perceptible to others.  So why are these people so immune?  Dad is consumed with advancing his career.  He wants recognition for his work, more titles, more respect, more worth.  Mom is invested in her kids and is willing to go to great lengths to ensure they have the best environment to live in, according to her eyes.  Wouldn't you agree that the pursuit of professional success, and the way parents get myopic and absorbed by what they perceive to be the best for their children, transcend Nazi Germany and would be in operation today?  If so, what are some things that your are absorbed in?  What is distracting you from the presence of evil around you?

I get why this film might not be liked or leave someone feeling it is lacking in plot, but to reduce it "banality of evil, I get it" is to do a great disservice to what makes the film worthwhile.

Forget about it someguy it's helobious

17 hours ago, someguy said:

I see that someguy gets it.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:54 PM, Helobious said:

So it's definitely gonna win the Oscar.

23 hours ago, someguy said:

I agree with most of this, but disagree on the bold.  She doesn't give a shit about her kids and basically ignores them most of the movie.  She shows more interest in her garden than she does her children.  There are multiple times where she alludes to or flat out says that she enjoys the status that being the wife of the warden of Auschwitz affords her.  Her wanting to stay is 100% for selfish reasons and uses her kids as an excuse/leverage to stay.

Trying to squeeze in a few more before the awards - watched Oppenheimer again yesterday afternoon with my mom who hadn't seen it.

There's virtually nothing to criticize about it. It's some of the most flawless 180 minutes anyone's ever put on screen. The acting is just fucking ridiculous - like Godfather/Goodfellas/Shawshank level. Murphy and Downey Jr. both got noms and I'm not sure Damon wasn't better than both of them. Blunt is a powerhouse.

I think it takes home 6 or 7 on Sunday.

I mean these odds are absolutely insane. I've never seen anything favored like this.

Screenshot_20240304_125224_Chrome.thumb.jpg.db83505d5b19b2f6451ca27b1515ea11.jpg

I think Zone of Interest might have a chance at snagging best picture, and not because I think it should win, but for the Academy to make the statement on complacency in the midst of immense suffering and genocide. I hope Oppenheimer wins it, but I could see them wanting someone on stage to bring up Palestine and make headlines.   /no CR, but we know this is an actual thing their voters do care about and sometimes elevate above recognizing the best. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

but for the Academy to make the statement on complacency in the midst of immense suffering and genocide. I hope Oppenheimer wins it, but I could see them wanting someone on stage to bring up Palestine and make headlines.   /no CR, but we know this is an actual thing their voters do care about and sometimes elevate above recognizing the best. 

You think they're going to vote for a Holocaust movie to make an anti-Israel statement?

You think Hollywood is going to do that?

• Haha 1