2024 NCAA Baseball

WBT

My prediction of Washington being scrappy seems to be unfounded.   they are 0-3-1 on the year.

Stanford is 1-4 on the year getting whooped by pedo state in palo alto this evening.

Edited by petscii

Hagen Smith of Arky tonight against Oregon State: 6 IP  3 H  0 R  1 BB  17 K

Arkansas left-hander Hagen Smith made history on Friday, striking out 17 batters in six scoreless innings to tie the Razorbacks’ single-game strikeout record in a start against No. 7 Oregon State.

Facing off against the Beavers, Smith recorded 17 of his 18 outs via strikeout. Three of those strikeouts were of Oregon State star Travis Bazzana, expected to be one of the top prospects for this year’s MLB Draft.

Smith, a likely first-round pick himself according to The Athletic’s Keith Law, needed just 78 pitches to get through those six innings. He touched 99 mph with his fastball and averaged 96.7 on the pitch, while throwing a devastating slider that sat in the mid-80s. Smith induced 25 swings and misses out of his 78 pitches thrown.

Edited by Beau Vine

11 minutes ago, petscii said:

My prediction of Washington being scrappy seems to be unfounded.   they are 0-3-1 on the year.

I watched some of the series last weekend and thought they looked pretty decent.  Not supposed to lose to Pitt, though.  

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I watched some of the series last weekend and thought they looked pretty decent.  Not supposed to lose to Pitt, though.  

Yeah, the extra inning thing was crushing to end in a tie. 

I thought 32-5 Tech over TSU was a real shit kicking, but losing 18-1 as Clemson to Kennesaw State is really shitty too.....Xavier mist feel really shitty because Clemson stomped them in 3 games to open the season

the Tech game there were really not any out of control innings (well 6 runs is pretty out of control I guess), but there were several 6 run innings

and just looking aggy has one of the shittiest OOC schedules I have seen in a long time

3 games with See You Later McNesse State

1 Incarnate Word

3 Wagner

1 Lamar

2 ASU

1 USC (this and the above ASU in a tournament)

1 Texas

1 TSU

3 Rhode Island

1 Sam Houston

1 PVAMU

1 Houston Baptist

1 Texas State

1 UTSA

1 Air Force

1 UH

1 Tarleton

1 Rice

if you say that Texas State, Rice, and Sam Houston are "good opponents" (they all three can be) other than that you have Texas, ASU, and USC.....and out of all of those only ASU is more than a single game none are a series......hopefully a bunch of those teams are able to rework their pitching to have one of their better starters face aggy for those single games that would be really funny....of course the alternative is aggy wins most of those, gets the shit kicked out of them in conference, and falls on their ass being unprepared for the NCAAs

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Only 78 pitches? They wouldn’t give him the 7th? That seems…odd. I know it’s early in the season but 6 innings when you’re dealing like that…

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Fletch said:
11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Only 78 pitches? They wouldn’t give him the 7th? That seems…odd. I know it’s early in the season but 6 innings when you’re dealing like that…

Someone tell that young man that strikeouts are fascist.

In all seriousness, pretty incredible statline. What's his story? Is he the second coming of Stephen Strasburg?

Creighton 9-hole hitter had a decent day in a 22-1 win over HCU.

Grand slam in the 2nd

Grand slam in the 3rd

The Jays batted around in the 3rd and he came up again with the bases loaded.  Plunked by the first pitch.  Nice job, Huskies!

RBI triple in 4th

3-4, 10 RBI, 11 total bases

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Someone tell that young man that strikeouts are fascist.

In all seriousness, pretty incredible statline. What's his story? Is he the second coming of Stephen Strasburg?

On 2/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, Horny Bull said:

Arkansas ace Hagen Smith pulled after just one inning against mighty James Madison. 

It think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petscii said:

Washington got their first win of the season against Whataburger Aggie in Corpus Christi.   

Stanford is 1-5 to start the year and has been outscored 58-24 in those games.

5 hours ago, WBT said:

Our buddies the Toreros just hit a grand slam in the 7th to go up 6-3 over Arizona.  They already beat them in Game 1 last night.  Should be good for the rpi.

That’s astonishing. Zona wasn’t exactly a powerhouse but they were a solid ass program since 2000 or so. Stanford is a huge WTF there. Could be they are taking the David Pierce rout of “who gives a fuck before conference play…” but shit, being outscored like that is fucking insane. Then again, our ‘21 team looked like ass through the first 6 games and we were a cunt hair away from playing for it all. Who knows with this beautiful, crazy ass game 

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

That’s astonishing. Zona wasn’t exactly a powerhouse but they were a solid ass program since 2000 or so. Stanford is a huge WTF there. Could be they are taking the David Pierce rout of “who gives a fuck before conference play…” but shit, being outscored like that is fucking insane. Then again, our ‘21 team looked like ass through the first 6 games and we were a cunt hair away from playing for it all. Who knows with this beautiful, crazy ass game 

“Arizona wasn’t exactly a powerhouse but they were a solid ass program since 2000 or so.”

So did you just start watching college baseball around 2000 or so? Or what?

21 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Watching Loyola Marymount @ Fullerton.  The latter has a player named Schardt, which I find humorous. Also, there can't be more than 100 people in the stands.

That is just how it is for a lot of the country, unfortunately.

13 hours ago, zlavydra said:

LSU is steamrolling Rice at Reckling. 16-4 in the 7th 

I don't want to shit on Rice after last nights LSU game, but can we agree that the ASU / Rice plan of hiring a coach with no actual coaching experience was a failure?  Bloomquist is around .500 but Cruz is stinking up Reckling.

On a side note I bit on the +3000 Texas money line for winning the College World Series.  If it doesn't happen it was me.  

Edited by petscii

On 2/24/2024 at 1:27 PM, Beau Vine said:

Creighton 9-hole hitter had a decent day in a 22-1 win over HCU.

Grand slam in the 2nd

Grand slam in the 3rd

The Jays batted around in the 3rd and he came up again with the bases loaded.  Plunked by the first pitch.  Nice job, Huskies!

RBI triple in 4th

3-4, 10 RBI, 11 total bases

200.gif

Did you see the other day someone (may have been softball now that I think about it) hit the HR cycle?  Slam, 2 run, 3 run and then i believe solo shot to round it out. 

On 2/25/2024 at 3:47 AM, Fletch said:

Was it Ole Miss or am i mis-remembering, had to win SEC tournament to get in , won it and then won? the CWS.

Edit: haha , just looked it up, beat the land thieves for the natty as the last team to make field, won 10 of 11 in post season to claim their first and only title; got to love college baseball

https://olemisssports.com/news/2022/6/26/baseball-ole-miss-wins-the-2022-national-championship

Edited by jdhorn92

3 hours ago, petscii said:

I don't want to shit on Rice after last nights LSU game, but can we agree that the ASU / Rice plan of hiring a coach with no actual coaching experience was a failure?  Bloomquist is around .500 but Cruz is stinking up Reckling.

On a side note I bit on the +3000 Texas money line for winning the College World Series.  If it doesn't happen it was me.  

You just wait till gritty gutty Willie Bloomquist stocks his roster with guys just like himself.

Then you'll see some losing!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:37 PM, zlavydra said:

Watching Loyola Marymount @ Fullerton.  The latter has a player named Schardt, which I find humorous. Also, there can't be more than 100 people in the stands.

19 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

That is just how it is for a lot of the country, unfortunately.

Years ago (early 2000's) we were living in the PNW and we went to the Cal series as my daughter lived just east of Oakland. It was a cold weekend but still, high school stands not much bigger than what my 2A high school outside of SA had in the 70's. Definitely less than a 100 fans total there (UT alum and parents mostly) and those that were in the stands for Cal were players keeping stats. 

I alway think about the smaller schools (like St Johns the other night) and wonder what their players think when they come into the Disch (even on a Tuesday night).

Glad that we have such good support and facility for the Horns and TEXAS baseball.

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Did you see the other day someone (may have been softball now that I think about it) hit the HR cycle?  Slam, 2 run, 3 run and then i believe solo shot to round it out. 

That was women's softball. I saw that highlight of her but forget the team she played for.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 12:50 PM, WBT said:

ECU-UNC in a split series, UCLA @ TCU, and Indiana @ Baylor this weekend look interesting.  Arkansas vs Oregon St in Arlington tonight should be good

TCU swept the series against UCLA, including run ruling them in the final game.  Went on to beat Washington State in 12 innings, then came back the next day to beat Arizona.  TCU pitchers struck out 19.  Good start for the year.

6 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Was it Ole Miss or am i mis-remembering, had to win SEC tournament to get in , won it and then won? the CWS.

Edit: haha , just looked it up, beat the land thieves for the natty as the last team to make field, won 10 of 11 in post season to claim their first and only title; got to love college baseball

https://olemisssports.com/news/2022/6/26/baseball-ole-miss-wins-the-2022-national-championship

I was there. It was fun watching the Sonners have their dreams crushed.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2024 at 8:30 AM, closetojumping said:

“Arizona wasn’t exactly a powerhouse but they were a solid ass program since 2000 or so.”

So did you just start watching college baseball around 2000 or so? Or what?

Well, I turn 31 in March. So yeah pretty much. My first Texas baseball memory was going to an alumni game in like ‘98 or something. Followed the next 3 teams closely. Then I had a family friend playing for us in 02 so I went to an ocean of games while he was there from ‘02-‘04. And an ocean of games since then. 

So basically yeah. My dad filled me in on UT baseball history from the 50’s to the end of the Gus days. That’s a lot of where my college and Texas baseball knowledge comes from 

22 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Well, I turn 31 in March. So yeah pretty much. My first Texas baseball memory was going to an alumni game in like ‘98 or something. Followed the next 3 teams closely. Then I had a family friend playing for us in 02 so I went to an ocean of games while he was there from ‘02-‘04. And an ocean of games since then. 

So basically yeah. My dad filled me in on UT baseball history from the 50’s to the end of the Gus days. That’s a lot of where my college and Texas baseball knowledge comes from 

This is an old callback, but it’s Tuesday and I am coming down from coaching a tight 9U-10U late game, so okay. 

Arizona was a power for a very long time. They won multiple CWS and have one of the winningest programs in CBaseball history. They’ve put more guys in the majors than like 6 programs. Sadly, they’ve won a CWS more recently than us. They can be a giant in the sport any time they give a shit enough to hire someone worth a damn.  

They’re far more than a kinda power for a spell this century. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is an old callback, but it’s Tuesday and I am coming down from coaching a tight 9U-10U late game, so okay. 

Arizona was a power for a very long time. They won multiple CWS and have one of the winningest programs in CBaseball history. They’ve put more guys in the majors than like 6 programs. Sadly, they’ve won a CWS more recently than us. They can be a giant in the sport any time they give a shit enough to hire someone worth a damn.  

They’re far more than a kinda power for a spell this century. 

Thanks for the history lesson. After I posed that I went down Wikipedia and was like “oh shit! Didn’t realize they were that strong of a program.” Lice and learn. Thanks for the history lesson, ctj. Truly appreciate it. I’ll soak up anything college baseball. 

Speaking of do you, @BillyGoatHill @Beau Vine or any of the other college baseball crew over here have any good books on college baseball history?