Yes: Pools are worth it....

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

He’s doing a lot without charging bc he likes my MIl and she is elderly. She gives him fresh eggs. They’re neighbors

I bet it’ll be fine.  I’m just jelly because my wife and I couldn’t agree on the quartz and she won :(   But at that price I bet I could have gotten her onboard.   Good luck, sounds like it’ll be a complete transformation. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still having great fun with my DE Filter.  You might recall my posts from a month ago about the shell burst and replacement.

I had the system running great for several weeks.  However, the pressure spiked again (DE powder was likely too clogged with dead algae from when I got it working again) and water started leaking on the DE filter between top and bottom shell.  We shut off the pump and there is no visible damage to anything.  I drained the filter, opened it up, removed and cleaned the fin assembly and reinstalled it.  I put the filter back together and when I run the pump, it leaks water from the shell joint (where top and bottom shell meet) just above the inlet pipe to the bottom shell.  I have tried numerous times rotating the top shell, rotating the clamp, rotating the O-Ring and always the same result - water leaking out in the same spot.  I ordered a new O-Ring (factory part).  I tried that out today and same result.

I'm not sure what else I can do to troubleshoot/fix this issue.  Leslie Pool Supply suggested trying a silicon based lube/grease on the O-Ring.  I'm not sure that would make any difference.

Ideas?

Love it, keep'em coming. I hear about redo's all the time but never really see them. It seem there are builders that know how to do them and others that don't...but pretend to. This looks great so far.

I hope so, just kind of took him at his word for it…couldn’t find any online presence for his company.

If you are trying to build a kid-magnet it’s going to take more than a pool. Our teens 8th and 12th grade rarely use ours after living here five years.

You’re better off making a badass basement setup (or equivalent if you live where they don’t do basements). TV’s, comfy couches, snacks, good music playing setup. Build an arcade style multiple-Xbox setup and the teen boys will never leave. Good conversation pits for the girls. Add a spot for whiffle ball so you can kick them out from time to time.

That’s my experience anyway.

I have a pretty large cedar elm near my pool. It has starting to shed leaves and about to drive me nuts cleaning them out of the pool. Any ideas other than putting a cover over the pool or tree removal?

I got a big net and pull it tight with bungee cords staked in the grass or attached to furniture. That at least keeps the leaves off the bottom. But it’s a workout scooping them all out from now until January.

So it looks like the deck joists are not pressure treated lumber. I’m told this is a critical issue and I need to take it up with the guy. I’ve done some research and if untreated wood is the only option given the budget, then I have a few things going for me: (1) the deck shouldn’t be exposed to too much water bc of the roof, (2) the joists are a few inches above the ground, and (3) untreated spoiled needs to be prepared with some chemical and then sealed every so often.

I’ve read that a pressure treated deck will need maintenance in 10 years but untreated may need maintenance in 2-5 years.

I’m also feeling some regret bc I probably could have done a slab instead of deck but at this point the materials are bought.

20 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Not meant to be snarky, just curious more than anything, but are lanais a thing in TX like down in FL?

Seems like a ton of residential pools have them. (Referring to the pool screen type, not Hawaiian type meaning deck/patio space.)

North Texas (DFW) not common at all. 

I'd say if it is common anywhere it would be Houston area due to mosquitos, but I don't recall seeing many when I've driven around down there.

So I talked to him about replacing the sealed joists with pressure tested and we’re going to work that out.

And today they did the replastering, and they finished installing the new drains and the things that hold the jets, and the hand rail, and now the pool is filling. They will put in the light and the jet eyes once the pool is full I guess? But the quartzscape is supposed to stay west I think.

The thing is the hand rail isn’t centered. I think he did it on purpose bc the top stair isn’t too wide so if we center it there won’t be much on either side, but the wife and MIL worry about people trying to get in on the wrong side and getting hurt and so they want it centered. What do people think?

b5ddd28bf1487f0aca676d58754d5b40.jpg
59f56844913f08070ece3a9cffa44db0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any recommendations for ways to kill weeds popping through newly installed turf?

It sounds like regular weed killer will do, but want to make sure before ruining the turf and putting green.

It’s nothing crazy, just here and there from the seeds and weeds that grew through the construction of the pool. I’ve been pulling the root best I can, but it’s hard as I don’t want to pull any of the turf itself.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So I talked to him about replacing the sealed joists with pressure tested and we’re going to work that out.

And today they did the replastering, and they finished installing the new drains and the things that hold the jets, and the hand rail, and now the pool is filling. They will put in the light and the jet eyes once the pool is full I guess? But the quartzscape is supposed to stay west I think.

The thing is the hand rail isn’t centered. I think he did it on purpose bc the top stair isn’t too wide so if we center it there won’t be much on either side, but the wife and MIL worry about people trying to get in on the wrong side and getting hurt and so they want it centered. What do people think?

b5ddd28bf1487f0aca676d58754d5b40.jpg
59f56844913f08070ece3a9cffa44db0.jpg

Given the width of that top step I think the builder made a good decision. If would be my preference as well seeing my inlaws use theirs with bad knees, the need to comfortable put both feet on same step as they get in/out.

57 minutes ago, TTU13 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for ways to kill weeds popping through newly installed turf?

It sounds like regular weed killer will do, but want to make sure before ruining the turf and putting green.

It’s nothing crazy, just here and there from the seeds and weeds that grew through the construction of the pool. I’ve been pulling the root best I can, but it’s hard as I don’t want to pull any of the turf itself.

@cactusflinthead

1 hour ago, TTU13 said:

Turf as in fake grass? Round up won't do anything to plastic. Fire away.

Actual live grass requires knowing a couple of other things. What kind of weed? How long has the sod been down? What sort of turfgrass?

Pulling nutgrass can make it worse. Any latent tubers get a hormone signal to sprout leaves when a nearby stalk is pulled. Some stuff like prostrate spurge has a super fast life cycle. It can go from germination to producing seed in as few as 14 days. I still pull weeds, but I use pre-emergents and post emergents as needed.

I don't give a damn if it's 'organic' or 'chemical'. I want it to work. I'll use vinegar or glyphosate. I won't use corn gluten because it's a fucking waste of time and money. 

Know your target and the environment it's in and you're halfway there.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

Given the width of that top step I think the builder made a good decision. If would be my preference as well seeing my inlaws use theirs with bad knees, the need to comfortable put both feet on same step as they get in/out.

We put it in primarily for my mother in law bc she has bad knees and balance these days. I agree with you, they just see someone trying to use the wrong side without looking.

Turf as in fake grass? Round up won't do anything to plastic. Fire away.
Actual live grass requires knowing a couple of other things. What kind of weed? How long has the sod been down? What sort of turfgrass?
Pulling nutgrass can make it worse. Any latent tubers get a hormone signal to sprout leaves when a nearby stalk is pulled. Some stuff like prostrate spurge has a super fast life cycle. It can go from germination to producing seed in as few as 14 days. I still pull weeds, but I use pre-emergents and post emergents as needed.
I don't give a damn if it's 'organic' or 'chemical'. I want it to work. I'll use vinegar or glyphosate. I won't use corn gluten because it's a fucking waste of time and money. 
Know your target and the environment it's in and you're halfway there.

Yup, artificial! Appreciate the quick response, most things said good to go but I’d then come across the random blog saying don’t do it. In retrospect, it was probably a more “do everything natural!” blog.

Then today they had the deck boards in and started working on one of the rock walls that will become flower beds or somethingcae346c7a7171e05368bb855f396fe4e.jpg
603b932a75a1841da866878df5140b35.jpg
0599d2f8c986032a4e56053f268d8ef7.jpg
a15763d433376900269a9618b6f42541.jpg
edc290d211ad2783ce004cb089818875.jpg
e57d0328feefed474d19f33cc3643fe9.jpg

Also, Gonna trade out the sand filter for a DE filter. Supposedly it will help me keep the pool clean and algae free. Was told it “Takes the maintenance out of the water and brings it to the filter system. “ hopefully that’s true bc the chemical fight was a pain with the sand filter. Anybody know if swapping the sand filter for a DE filter for $700 sounds about right?

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

My brand new Pentair Heater is already not igniting. At least everything is under warranty.

Should I fire up the heater once a week or so in the off season?

Shouldn't need to.  Has heater been working and just stopped?  Ignition usually either not enough gas supply or water flow.