Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

ford just announced plans to develop an all electric f-150: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/16/ford-f-150-electric-pickup-truck/2595515002/

Ford Motor Co. confirmed plans to build a fully electric F-Series pickup, which industry observers called an unexpected move that protects the truck franchise against Tesla and other competitors.

“We’re going to be electrifying the F-Series — battery electric and hybrid,” Jim Farley, Ford president of global markets, said Wednesday during a presentation at the Deutsche Bank Global Automotive Conference in the MGM Grand in Detroit.

In framing the company’s redesign, Farley said a move toward all-electric and hybrid would “futureproof” the billion-dollar F-Series franchise, which he called a “global juggernaut.”

John McElroy, a longtime industry observer and host of “Autoline This Week,” said, “When he says ‘battery electric,' what I’m taking that to mean is a battery electric vehicle. Pure electric. They’ve said they would have a hybrid plug-in version of the F-150. But this is different than what they’ve talked about in the past.”

Creating an alternative to the combustion engine is crucial if Ford plans to protect its pickup franchise.

“Tesla is talking about coming out with an electric pickup. And look what Tesla has done in the luxury segment. They’ve clobbered just about everybody,” McElroy said. “You can’t pooh-pooh that people won't be interested in an electric pickup. Rivian Automotive is coming out with an all-electric pickup. These are the crown jewels for Ford Motor Co., the F-Series. Ford has got to react to competitive threats.”

Can't ignore competition

Even if a company can’t make money on electric vehicles initially, a truck leader like Ford cannot ignore potential competitors in a segment driven by the government requirements in California, China and elsewhere, he said.

A "battery electric" vehicle means one with no internal combustion engine and no emissions.

Michelle Krebs, executive analyst for Autotrader, said she is looking forward to more detail.

“They’ve said they’re going to electrify all their sport utility vehicles and F-150,” she said. "And they’ve said that’s a hedge against higher gas prices.”

During this busy week of Detroit auto show activity, carmakers typically participate in panels and financial presentations in addition to unveiling new vehicles. Remarks from Ford on Wednesday were accompanied by a big-screen display and analyst discussion.

Farley was preceded by CEO Jim Hackett and followed by CFO Bob Shanks.

The Dearborn-based car executives noted that they’re crushing the competition in the highly lucrative truck segment.

“Ninety-percent of our capital now is allocated toward trucks and utilities,” Farley said. “We have the F-Series, the world and America’s best-selling truck. More than a million units were sold last year. F-Series core strength at the end of the day is: There’s a truck for every customer and we know those customers really, really well. From the F-150 all the way to the F-750. They all matter to us.”

He continued, “The best is going to get even better. We’re going to be launching a new Super Duty later this year and showing it to everyone in a few weeks.”

$70 billion a year

If Ford’s truck and van business broke away, they alone would be a Fortune 40 company with more than $70 billion in annual revenue. “That’s a tremendous global business,” Farley said.

And despite all-new pickups from Ram and Chevrolet Silverado, the F-Series continues to hold and grow its lead as the best-selling truck for the past four decades.

“Our F-150 still delivers the best fuel economy, towing and payload even with brand new competitors,” Farley said, attributing the product strength to its technology and efficiency investments.

“We plan to continue to serve these loyal customers with our upcoming next generation of 150,” he said. “We recently market-tested this new truck against the new competition — Ram and Silverado and GM products — and we won hands down. It’s a highly profitable and iconic vehicle for us and it’s going to get even better.”

He added: “The F-Series is second to none. … When you think about Ford, we have a dominant truck franchise globally.”

An all-electric strategy is a big part of plans outlined by Volkswagen this week during the North American International Auto Show. In discussions about a commercial truck and medium size pickup alliance, Ford and VW said talks continue on collaboration involving electric and driverless vehicles.

Edited by jofus

9 minutes ago, jofus said:

I’m more worried about the charging infrastructure. There are plenty of charging stations for a few luxury brands (Tesla, rivian), but a bunch of new electric f150’s is going to be too much. 

First blush, I’d guess an electric f150 would be best used as a fleet vehicle, where they stay local and get charged at the fleet hub at night, or at the homes of those issues fleet vehicles. Like at&t or time warner or similar. 

17 minutes ago, jofus said:

I’m more worried about the charging infrastructure. There are plenty of charging stations for a few luxury brands (Tesla, rivian), but a bunch of new electric f150’s is going to be too much. 

Just throw a generator in the bed, and charge as you go.  Or tow an site generator and get a quicker charge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LebongJames said:

I’m all for a hybrid or all electric F150 if it can tow 8-10k and have a decent payload.

For a full electric, I suspect the towing RANGE would be the problem.  It's not unusual for me to tow over 300 miles in a day, and right now I think only a couple of Tesla models have that kind of range, and that's while NOT towing a load.  But a hybrid would definitely have some potential.

28 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, no desire for full electric, but hybrid, absolutely.

Totally agree.

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

First blush, I’d guess an electric f150 would be best used as a fleet vehicle, where they stay local and get charged at the fleet hub at night, or at the homes of those issues fleet vehicles. Like at&t or time warner or similar. 

Good point, that's a great use case.  City of Cedar Park has a large fleet of mostly pickups.  I could see switching those out one day for electric vehicles.

16 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Just throw a generator in the bed, and charge as you go.  Or tow an site generator and get a quicker charge.

Ha!

Or better yet, build an on-board gasoline generator motor right into the engine compartment and have it charge the battery bank consistently whilst driving! ;)

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

Wonder why it's taken so long to go hybrid. Makes more sense with trucks than with compact cars. Less weight and cost increase on a % basis, torque at 0 rpm, and a handful mpg increase means more at 18 mpg than it does at 45.

Probably a don't fix what aint broke mentality.  F150s have been a best seller for some time now.

49 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Probably a don't fix what aint broke mentality.  F150s have been a best seller for some time now.

i imagine there's more than a pinch of "truck guys are super conservative and don't want change" (see: the hubbub about ford's aluminum bodies)

there's also GM's shitty hybrid attempts from a decade ago, i guess.  poison the well, GM. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

I always thought mail trucks would be perfect for electric.   It's mostly start/stop and little highway so they could take full advantage of regeneration .  no air conditioning.   But I have no idea how many miles they actually drive per day .  

47 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I always thought mail trucks would be perfect for electric.   It's mostly start/stop and little highway so they could take full advantage of regeneration .  no air conditioning.   But I have no idea how many miles they actually drive per day .  

UPS ordered electric trucks with just 100 miles range:

https://www.pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/ContentDetailsViewer.page?ConceptType=PressReleases&id=1519225541368-230
i'm going to guess that a mail truck probably drives fewer miles since the depots are much closer to delivery.

I'd definitely consider an all electric F-150. I lease the one I have now and never intend to pull anything with it. I drive a grand total of 54 miles a day and putz round town on the weekends. This would be right up my alley. I'll have to ask my uncle, who's a die maker for Ford if he's seen or heard any of the specs. 

Edited by BabaBooey

You guys with the 5.7 Tundras don't think they're geared too low in 1st and 2nd? I got into one coming out of a 5.7L Ram back in September.

Towing about 4500lbs of bay boat it feels like the Tundra is more capable from 0-25mph. Feels like I'd rather have the Hemi when passing traffic between 45-65.

You guys with the 5.7 Tundras don't think they're geared too low in 1st and 2nd? I got into one coming out of a 5.7L Ram back in September.

Towing about 4500lbs of bay boat it feels like the Tundra is more capable from 0-25mph. Feels like I'd rather have the Hemi when passing traffic between 45-65.

I pulled a 12ft Uhaul full of furniture and thought it was fine. I have no clue the weight I was pulling though. I don’t pull anything enough to really notice.

Had my beater Suburban stolen over the holidays.  I basically just used it to get the boat on and off the water so I figured I'd just replace it w/another beater.  Did some looking around and stumbled accross a 4X King Ranch F150 down in SA for $14K.  140k miles, but in really, really (/Tom Herman) good shape.  Went down with my bag 'o cash and brought her home.  I wanna lift it and put larger, slightly more aggressive tires on.  Suggestions on where to go locally for such an endeavor?  All the places I know and trust are down in SA and I don't want to deal with that trip.

thumbnail_IMG_2130-30-12-19-02-40_zpsp06

thumbnail_IMG_2134-30-12-19-02-40_zpsfrl

Edited by Cajun

20 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

That leather looks so much better than the new King Ranch leather.

Yeah, it's thick, and that dark shade I dig the most. (that's what she said)  The guy I bought it from had the center console stocked up with leather conditioner.  He must have bathed that interior in it religiously.  No crack, no fade (well, a tiny bit), no nuthin'.

Having done a lot of my growing up on a ranch I could tell right off that rig's tires had probably never touched dirt.

Looking at the odometer and sitting in it just doesn't match up.  Drives a lot like my old F250 w/o the diesel rumble and sound.  It's the old 5.4 liter, so the power is "down low", which I like for the towing.

Edited by Cajun

23 hours ago, Cajun said:

It's the old 5.4 liter, so the power is "down low non-existent", which I like for the towing.

FIFY.

Nice truck.  I've seen quite a few on of those gen KR's for some good prices.  I was helping a friend look for his 16 yo for a bit, and put him on several.  The kid ended up with a loaded 6.0 (soon to be bulletproofed - probably).  Really makes you think with the prices of the new stuff on the lots.

I'm not following FF.

I towed my boat with a friend's 6.0 and it wasn't bad at all, but bringing it up the ramp & out of the water this 5.4 is better.  It's a lower rev, steadier pull that feels more "down low".  Maybe power was the wrong word.  It definitely doesn't have the get up and go on the roadways that my buddy's does

Again, perhaps my terminology is flawed.  Probably should have said I like the torque curve better.

Edited by Cajun

57 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'm not following FF.

I towed my boat with a friend's 6.0 and it wasn't bad at all, but bringing it up the ramp & out of the water this 5.4 is better.  It's a lower rev, steadier pull that feels more "down low".  Maybe power was the wrong word.  It definitely doesn't have the get up and go on the roadways that my buddy's does

Again, perhaps my terminology is flawed.  Probably should have said I like the torque curve better.

No, I wasn't comparing the two, just finishing my story.   

5.4 was always just known for being sort of a gutless motor.  Reliable, got you around, whatever, but dogs.    Especially compared to their Dodge/GM counterparts at during that time period.  It obviously will do what you need it to, just the first time I've ever heard anyone speak of the positives wrt towing and a 5.4.   Bad joke, will Homer Simpson myself back into the hedges.

Edited by fattyflattie

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Gotcha FF.

I'm probably way off on my assessment, but in the end, it'll do what I need it to do.

Certainly pummels my previous beater Suburban.  2WD pos.

Oh yeah.  Nice truck, one hell of a  "beater".  

Like I was saying, it just sounded funny - they are definitely not incompetent or anything and there's millions of them around.  Do check if it falls into the years that were impacted with difficult spark plug removal.  If it is, take that serious and have someone do it, so at least they can pay for it when they break them off.  I've known a few people who got screwed on that deal.

From the Googles...

Spark Plugs Breaking Off. When it comes to Ford 4.6 spark plug problems, the years 2004 through 2008 were troublesome for the F-Series. Likewise, Ford 5.4 spark plug problems have been common on models from these years as well.

This one's a 2010.

Thank you for the heads-up though.

Edited by Cajun

On January 11, 2019 at 1:41 PM, TankedBevo said:

If you're willing to drive down to SA head over to Blackjack Speed Shop 35 location, the manager is my brother and can get you a great deal on parts and labor with a quick turnaround time. PM me if you want his info.

They did the lift/tires on my '15 Sierra

so26nc.jpg

Thanks for the info.  One more question -- the suburban came with after-market wheels.  They're nice (black, low profile, maybe 20's or so but don't allow for more off road higher sidewall tires I want) but don't really fit with what I'm going for (which is more like your truck above).  Any thoughts on the best place / method of getting the most I can for the wheels I'm getting rid of?

Your truck looks great by the way.

18 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Thanks for the info.  One more question -- the suburban came with after-market wheels.  They're nice (black, low profile, maybe 20's or so but don't allow for more off road higher sidewall tires I want) but don't really fit with what I'm going for (which is more like your truck above).  Any thoughts on the best place / method of getting the most I can for the wheels I'm getting rid of?

Your truck looks great by the way.

Best bet is 5 mile app, Craigslist or something similar would be my guess. 

Edited by TankedBevo

Yeah my truck came with 20s and a relatively low profile tire.  I'd like to put slightly more aggressive-looking tires with more sidewall on the truck, and I'm planning to level out the front to make some room for that, but am I going to be screwed because the wheel itself is already so big?  I don't want anything that's crazy-huge for off-roading because it's on streets 98% of the time, but I do want something that looks a little more truck-ish than what I've currently got.

This isn't my truck, but mine looks almost identical to it.

242437.jpg

242438.jpg

242439.jpg

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah my truck came with 20s and a relatively low profile tire.  I'd like to put slightly more aggressive-looking tires with more sidewall on the truck, and I'm planning to level out the front to make some room for that, but am I going to be screwed because the wheel itself is already so big?  I don't want anything that's crazy-huge for off-roading because it's on streets 98% of the time, but I do want something that looks a little more truck-ish than what I've currently got.

242437.jpg

242438.jpg

242439.jpg

That's the exact question I've asked the guys at discount and they're telling me that if I want more sidewall and the more traditional truck off-road look that, yes, I do need to get different wheels.  They showed me what they say is the closest to what i want with my current 20's (I think it's called the grappler all terrain) and, while a bit closer, it still isn't what I'm looking for.

Anyone here knowledgeable enough in this area to confirm or expand on what the guys at discount are telling me?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

242437.jpg

242438.jpg

242439.jpg

I have the same truck, but 2018, with the 20s, I leveled it 2" and put 33s (275/60/20) on it and they fit fine. I know guys with my set up that easily fit 34" (275/65/20) on it, but those are E rated, which I didn't want.

• Like 1

Cool thanks all.

Yabr, any "after" pics of your truck with the leveling kit and 33s on it?  I really love the ride of my current setup, especially whilst towing, so I don't want to get too far away from it.  But then there's that "look" thing, right? :)

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

242437.jpg

242438.jpg

242439.jpg

That's where I'm at.  It's not bad, just a bit granpaish.  Would like to go from the first pic to the second.  Nothing crazy, just a little different...

thumbnail_IMG_2134-30-12-19-02-40_zpsfrl

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Funny the difference between men and women.
Surly crowd -That would look cool!
My daughter and girlfriend just now - that's the same truck, I don't get it.

This is true. My wife thinks I'm insane. I told her this (suburban w/ level kit and big tires) is my midlife crisis and as far as those go this one's pretty tame so she should be grateful.