Selection Sunday

Pancho

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Best 3 weeks of the year. I love selection Sunday and filling my bracket out in pencil, been doing it since I was 12. 

Plus the first weekend is just all day basketball. Ready for my productivity at work to tank a big one 

It’s my Christmas. Now that kids are grown and we don’t go away for spring break, I take Thursday and Friday off.  Toke up before doing a swim in the spring fed rivers in the mornings and then make a nice breakfast before games begin. 

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

echo all the sentiments, i fucking love thursday-sunday of week 1.  college football is my favorite sport, but opening weekend of the ncaa tournament may very well be  is unquestionably the best sports weekend of the year.  

FIFM

• Hook 'Em 1

I dk why I was way excited about other years than this..even take Texas out of it and it still seemed like other years I was more pumped for. Also still see no way of us going further than, let me look..carry the one, further than one game so that sucks but 8/9, take a swing at a 1 then watch Houston or some team within a few hours win it. 

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Found this article interesting last year.  The 2024 teams that meet all (3) categories: UCONN, HOUSTON, PURDUE, AUBURN, ARIZONA.  Schools that meet 2 of 3: Iowa State, Tennesssee, Duke, UNC.  Only (8) more schools only meet one: https://www.on3.com/news/ncaa-tournament-bracket-pools-here-is-some-help/

Good article, but I'm not sure I like this last take at compiling possible champions:

Four teams: Houston, UCLA, Alabama and UConn.

+ So we’re left with teams from four different leagues – and none from the nation’s best conference, the Big 12. (You may be surprised that Danny Hurley’s UConn team is still standing in this group. But don’t let the Huskies’ No. 4 seed in the West Region deceive you; they are formidable.) But wait, there’s more: The No. 1 team in KenPom’s pre-tournament rankings has won just three times in 20 tournaments. Given that trend, let’s cross off Houston. Who’s left?

I would have considered how often the #X teams (whatever UCLA, 'bama, and UConn were) won the tournament.  They might not be all that much better than 3 out of 20, or even better at all.  It's a tough run.

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good article, but I'm not sure I like this last take at compiling possible champions:

I would have considered how often the #X teams (whatever UCLA, 'bama, and UConn were) won the tournament.  They might not be all that much better than 3 out of 20, or even better at all.  It's a tough run.

Well I’ll say this…….there’s absolutely that I’ll be crossing current KenPom #1, UConn, off

Interesting graph to ponder whenever KU fans or ESPN tries to push the narrative that they've had more injury problems than anyone else. Texas at about the same line as them, UH even higher.

Looks like Tech has had the worst injury luck of the top 25 by a mile and among the worst in the nation, and we still managed to tie for 3rd in conference.

Really a testament to how tough this conference is and what a battle each game is.

Graph is interesting, but it isn't weighted at all by the importance of the players who are injured (beyond whether they are a "top 8" player or not).  

More interesting would be injury minutes combined with win shares or some other metric to understand the likely wins that were missed due to injury.

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Graph is interesting, but it isn't weighted at all by the importance of the players who are injured (beyond whether they are a "top 8" player or not).  

More interesting would be injury minutes combined with win shares or some other metric to understand the likely wins that were missed due to injury.

The graph is based on minutes per game lost which to me seems like a pretty damn good indicator of how important a player is to a given team.

• Like 1

Lunardi's last effort before he can take the next 8 months or so off. 

image.thumb.png.694546c553b80ee27f5596f9a9719c9a.png

Its probably a pipe dream, but seeing aggy somehow get fucked again would be 

borat-borat-very-nice.gif.dbeeace1215835c9739edc5bf4d2313b.gif

I'll settle for the sooners getting fucked instead. Its the least the committee can do. 

working from home this week and next.  I am on the road about half of the time, so it's  pure luck of the draw, but damn it worked out nicely.

Just now, Pancho said:

And I think that’s a bad matchup for A&M. 

I like that Nebraska team. They shoot the 3 well (shocking, a Hoiberg team shoots it well from deep), which is a weakness of A&M’s defense 

Posted (edited)

Kentucky always has the talent.  Can they execute?

UH under Sampson,  more often than not does both.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Damn I like Houston to get through that region.

My give a shit factor about Cougar High could not be lower.  They can get bounced early, they can win it all, I don't think about them unless we play them.

• Pancho unpinned this topic