The Kids (Aren't) Alright - World Happiness Report

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, so…fuck you.
There are a shitload of people in those contemptible “government jobs” who deeply care about their job, what they are supposed to accomplish, and the people they serve. Sure, there are some shitty and lazy people - just like there are in the private sector. But you just shit all over all the people who make sure you have water to drink, your toilet flushes go somewhere to be treated, your grandpa gets medical treatment, your neighborhood’s kids learn to do multiplication, all kinds of shit. I can tell you from firsthand observation that a metric shit ton of those people care about their jobs and try damned hard. And many of them are super frustrated that they have to scramble to do more with less because pieces of shit like you have managed to so denigrate all types of public service that they constantly lose funding and support…but they keep on keeping on.
Your fucking asshole attitude is exactly what drives good people out of any public service job (and yeah, I’ve seen that happening in real time). The problem is you, asshole. “ASSHOLE” is the biggest problem we face as a society, and you are clearly one of their gaping examples of that.

Do you know why most people go work at the VA Brisket? So they won't have to work as hard. Won't have people pushing them to get things done faster.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 10

37 minutes ago, Cum Rocket said:

Lol this is the correct answer. Captain should work for a DPS office. Or maybe at a VA hospital. He’ll be surrounded by people putting a lot of effort Into doing the bare minimum. With predictable results. It sounds like the kind of work culture you would thrive in

He actually seems extremely competent when discussing his field (comp sci/tecH iirc) in other threads.   How you can work for a for profit company, and invest in for profit companies and then also believe everything you feel is overpriced is gouging or should be provided by Washington has got to be one hell of a struggle. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, I’m under the impression we have a bunch of folks between 12 and 30 who are having a hard time figuring out what 10’s (hundreds?) of millions around them have.  Even after (presumably) being raised in a better house, in a better hood, while receiving a better education, and having more opportunity and technology at their fingertips than any preceding generation, they cannot find “happiness”, however that’s personally defined.  

We should all remember that if the children are more like fatty, they too can experience wage growth which outstrips the rising cost of hamburgers and thereby achieve happiness.

6 minutes ago, Cum Rocket said:

I didn't say every government job. I know there are important ones.

I mentioned the DPS office and VA hospitals. I haven't worked at a DPS office, but they seem to be lazy af with little accountability. Next time you go, notice how they're talking about they just got off break or when their next break is while they're checking you out.

I've worked at a VA hospital. They're notorious for being staffed by some of the most inefficient, lazy, unmotivated people you could imagine. I stand by that. Not everyone, but if that's your goal you'll fit in great there.

I'll throw in the TSA. They fucking suck and never accomplish anything safety wise. Unpleasant, doing the bare minimum. If you want to Stan for the TSA, then have at it Brisket.

Pay people shit, treat them like shit, get shit.  Shocking how that's universal, across the private and public sector.

You are a champion of treating people like shit.  You get what you ask for.  Personally, I'm glad that your experience with public service employees is shitty.  You're exactly the kind of person who deserves every shitty outcome you get.

Be a piece of shit, get shit on.  Seems right to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Celery Man said:

We should all remember that if the children are more like fatty, they too can experience wage growth which outstrips the rising cost of hamburgers and thereby achieve happiness.

Exactly. And as a bonus, I don’t even cry myself to sleep thinking about potentially losing electricity for 12 hours during a once a decade storm, or the price of a bag of Doritos going up 35%.  Dreaming about how we can force people to drive cars we feel are sensible, and pondering why there aren’t any builders that want to leave money on the table to build shotgun houses for anyone and everyone who deserves a roof, in town of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

government jobs.  

Can confirm. Shit you're lucky to get the bare minimum from most.

In my experience it breaks down like this:

20% actually give a shit and want to make a difference 

40% can't get a job anywhere else.

20% Contractors

20% completely fucking useless.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t even cry myself to sleep thinking about potentially losing electricity for 12 hours during a once a decade storm

Try 5 days.

Hundreds of people died.  People.  Fucking.  DIED.  Many of them froze to death in their own fucking homes because they couldn't get elsewhere (either had no transportation, or transport was impossible due to icy roads).  Jesus.  Way to find even more ways to be a giant piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

20% Contractors

Now......tell me how that differs materially from most every other workplace -- Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Initech, etc.

It doesn't.  The 80/20 rule applies fucking EVERYWHERE.  Private sector, public sector, church committees, all of it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, so…fuck you.
There are a shitload of people in those contemptible “government jobs” who deeply care about their job, what they are supposed to accomplish, and the people they serve. Sure, there are some shitty and lazy people - just like there are in the private sector. But you just shit all over all the people who make sure you have water to drink, your toilet flushes go somewhere to be treated, your grandpa gets medical treatment, your neighborhood’s kids learn to do multiplication, all kinds of shit. I can tell you from firsthand observation that a metric shit ton of those people care about their jobs and try damned hard. And many of them are super frustrated that they have to scramble to do more with less because pieces of shit like you have managed to so denigrate all types of public service that they constantly lose funding and support…but they keep on keeping on.
Your fucking asshole attitude is exactly what drives good people out of any public service job (and yeah, I’ve seen that happening in real time). The problem is you, asshole. “ASSHOLE” is the biggest problem we face as a society, and you are clearly one of their gaping examples of that.

Yeah, this was discussed in the first responders thread.

People just don't have an appreciation for all of the work that goes on behind the scenes that is done by civil servants. They really do keep society from plunging into chaos.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Now......tell me how that differs materially from most every other workplace -- Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Initech, etc.

It doesn't.  The 80/20 rule applies fucking EVERYWHERE.  Private sector, public sector, church committees, all of it.

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Can we please fast forward to the point where this iteration of GRUHorn is banned, so I don't have to be a supposed adult reading posts from a "Cum Rocket"? What the fuck are we doing, man?

Doesn't GRUHorn work at SAMMC/BAMC a government hospital?

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

City parking enforcement pretty much anywhere I have been are some ruthlessly efficient bastards.  They and Chic Fil A are the gold standard of efficiency.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cum Rocket said:

Lol this is the correct answer. Captain should work for a DPS office. Or maybe at a VA hospital. He’ll be surrounded by people putting a lot of effort Into doing the bare minimum. With predictable results. It sounds like the kind of work culture you would thrive in @Captainant

At least you're consistent with absolutely misrepresenting my point. Personal growth is good for the sake of your own personal growth. But being forced to grow and produce more and work harder for the sake of working harder is not some noble path forwards - it's being exploited.

Hard work is not rewarded. Networking and "working smart" is rewarded. I've watched many of the adults in my life growing up work themselves to death in dead-end jobs believing that if they worked hard enough, they'd get recognized and finally get that promotion to director. But it turns out that it doesn't make a shit how hard you work, and it's really about if you're drinking buddies with the hiring manager.

I think it's important to do good work for your customers.

I do not think it's important to meet arbitrary goals that are purely driven by an outside group's demand for a piece of your work's profits. Fuck em. Those assholes get the minimum from me because I'm already going above and beyond for the people that are ultimately providing the money for my salary. 

EDIT: And also, you completely ignored the second half of what I was saying in that if we're all calling out "never enough" as a symptom of the reason why people are unhappy, shouldn't we be examining why there is a deeply instilled notion of "never enough"?

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

20% Contractors

I will confirm the percentages for the private sector.

80% completely fucking useless

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Bingo.  Public sector.  Private sector.  Church committees.  Your boy scout troop.  You name it, that's a common experience.

I do think it's perhaps exaggerated by those of us who have some pretty damned high standards, but the point remains that in any given situation, the group of "meh" is always much larger than the group of "these dudes get shit DONE."

41 minutes ago, Cum Rocket said:

I haven't worked at a DPS office, but they seem to be lazy af with little accountability. Next time you go, notice how they're talking about they just got off break or when their next break is while they're checking you out.

I hate when they take too long with my order at the DPS store!

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Equating public and private sector efficiency is so obviously stupid, it's not surprising that you're doing it.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  Public sector.  Private sector.  Church committees.  Your boy scout troop.  You name it, that's a common experience.

I do think it's perhaps exaggerated by those of us who have some pretty damned high standards, but the point remains that in any given situation, the group of "meh" is always much larger than the group of "these dudes get shit DONE."

It's exceedingly hard to get fired from a government job. Any idea what effect that has on performance? 

that's the difference in your supposed 20/80 split. As MIA pointed out, a large amount of government employees could not get comparable jobs in private sector and are unfireable. Again, guess what happens?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

20% Contractors

Y'all remember that next time you're sitting in the ass end, and I'm talking to air traffic control in the dark of night with snow blowing sideways.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 minute ago, Cum Rocket said:

Equating public and private sector efficiency is so obviously stupid, it's not surprising that you're doing it.

Yes.  My customer service experience with (fucking name it.....ordering food?  Tech help?  Insurance issues?  Retail sales?) in the private sector has been stellar, and demonstrates that the private sector is the end-all, be-all.

Jesus fucking Christ.  Simply regurgitating tired right-wing talking points, ignoring the log in your own eye.

People in jobs that treat them the worst - low pay, subject to abuse from the public/their superiors - tend not to perform at a high level.  Shock and surprise.

When it comes to the public sector, attitudes like yours are a self-fulfilling prophecy.  What person in their right mind would want to go into teaching right now?  People like you are going to hate on them as "indoctrinating kids" when all they're fucking trying to do is teach the basics, shit on them as lazy even though they will give much more of their own time and effort than the job actually requires, demonize them at school board meetings, and vote for officials who gleefully starve them of pay.  And you wonder why the quality of our teachers declines.

You're a piece of shit, who treats people like shit, and then wonders why they don't all bend over backwards to serve you.  

851edc6bab183ca54bafdead3d8a5eba.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Y'all remember that next time you're sitting in the ass end, and I'm talking to air traffic control in the dark of night with snow blowing sideways.

You know what their solution is, right?  Pay ATCs even less.  Treat them even more like shit.  And demand 2X the work out of them that they're currently doing.  Oh, and call them crybaby pussies when they have to hang it up because all their hair is falling out from the stress.

• Prepare your anus 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  My customer service experience with (fucking name it.....ordering food?  Tech help?  Insurance issues?  Retail sales?) in the private sector has been stellar, and demonstrates that the private sector is the end-all, be-all.

Jesus fucking Christ.  Simply regurgitating tired right-wing talking points, ignoring the log in your own eye.

People in jobs that treat them the worst - low pay, subject to abuse from the public/their superiors - tend not to perform at a high level.  Shock and surprise.

When it comes to the public sector, attitudes like yours are a self-fulfilling prophecy.  What person in their right mind would want to go into teaching right now?  People like you are going to hate on them as "indoctrinating kids" when all they're fucking trying to do is teach the basics, shit on them as lazy even though they will give much more of their own time and effort than the job actually requires, demonize them at school board meetings, and vote for officials who gleefully starve them of pay.  And you wonder why the quality of our teachers declines.

You're a piece of shit, who treats people like shit, and then wonders why they don't all bend over backwards to serve you.  

851edc6bab183ca54bafdead3d8a5eba.jpg

Good God you're dense. I've never once said anything about teachers yet you keep bringing them up.

And I'm not saying all government employees are assholes. I've focused much more on them being lazy.

You get so hung on what you want to say, you're not even paying attention to what you're responding to. Take a deep breath. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

18 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Government job often misses the biggest motivating factor out there: going belly up.  DMV gonna shut down soon?

DPS centers are being defunded so probably.

"Nobody needs a drivers license these days" - Texas Legislatures

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cum Rocket said:
2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

government jobs.  

Lol this is the correct answer.

Fuck off, you lying piece of shit.  

And they're not the assholes.  YOU ARE.

"Gee, I wonder why, when I go through my life treating person after person with scorn and contempt, they don't bend over backwards to please me."

You're a piece of shit who gets what they deserve, every time you have a bad experience.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

I tried to create an appointment to renew my drivers license 3 months before it expired. The earliest appointment they had available was 7 weeks after it expired. Fuck the DMV.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck off, you lying piece of shit.  

And they're not the assholes.  YOU ARE.

"Gee, I wonder why, when I go through my life treating person after person with scorn and contempt, they don't bend over backwards to please me."

You're a piece of shit who gets what they deserve, every time you have a bad experience.

That was in response to places you could work and do "just enough".

Work on being less consistently wrong. Love your passion though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Well, they don't.

Know why?

Because you need one to VOTE.  And we can't have that.

Took my daughter -- with a funny-sounding "not American" name -- forever to get a damned TDL, and THREE FUCKING TRIES to register to vote.  ME?  I got my TDL with minimal effort and was able to register to vote without much effort either.  Yeah, no idea why her generation thinks there's fuckery afoot.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Cum Rocket said:

That was in response to places you could work and do "just enough".

Yeah....and I was on the phone with gov't officials and employees at 1:00 in the morning as COVID was crushing their local resources, and they were tearing their hair out trying to figure out ways to save lives and care for their community.  Guess they were doing "just enough" as they broke down on the phone with me.

So, I'll repeat it, because it can never, ever, ever be said enough: FUCK YOU.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cum Rocket said:

Good God you're dense. I've never once said anything about teachers yet you keep bringing them up.

And I'm not saying all government employees are assholes. I've focused much more on them being lazy.

You get so hung on what you want to say, you're not even paying attention to what you're responding to. Take a deep breath. 

He's a lot of things, but he ain't dense.  There are lazy people in all walks of life.  It's the nature of our society/civilization.  Having worked in government and politics and all across a broad spectrum of private sector jobs from startup to Fortune50...there are lazy people in every facet of our planet because our technology and food-sourcing enables it.  I don't have to be the fastest, smartest guy out in the field to avoid getting eaten anymore.  I just have to be faster and smarter than you.  And that appears to be a very low bar.  

Many a morning my oldest girl tells me about what she wants to do when she grows up---astronaut, veterinarian, or writer always percolate to the top.  And many a morning, I reply the same, "So long as you're happy and kind, do whatever you want.  But get busy building your dreams or somebody else will pay you to build theirs."  

Well, they don't.

Know why?

Because you need one to VOTE.  And we can't have that.

Took my daughter -- with a funny-sounding "not American" name -- forever to get a damned TDL, and THREE FUCKING TRIES to register to vote.  ME?  I got my TDL with minimal effort and was able to register to vote without much effort either.  Yeah, no idea why her generation thinks there's fuckery afoot.

My youngest had to make several attempts to register to vote and numerous attempts to get his license. He also has a non-American name. He had no issues getting a passport.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And many a morning, I reply the same, "So long as you're happy and kind, do whatever you want.  But get busy building your dreams or somebody else will pay you to build theirs."  

You forgot to tell her the secrets to success in America, according to the Cum Rockets who dominate our society: "Also, be mean, and treat other people like shit.  If you don't, you're a failure."

You forgot to tell her the secrets to success in America, according to the Cum Rockets who dominate our society: "Also, be mean, and treat other people like shit.  If you don't, you're a failure."

You should read all your posts and assess where you fall on the meanness versus kindness spectrum. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

On 3/20/2024 at 3:12 PM, Thetexashammer said:

Or, instead posting tweets, you could figure out what her actual arguments are and respond to them. She makes valid and thoughtful points. It' pretty hard to criticize an argument with which you have no familiarity.

If someone tweets stupid bullshit, why would I be expected to sift through all that to find any valid and thoughtful points that person may have? 

• Hook 'Em 1

You know what their solution is, right?  Pay ATCs even less.  Treat them even more like shit.  And demand 2X the work out of them that they're currently doing.  Oh, and call them crybaby pussies when they have to hang it up because all their hair is falling out from the stress.

Or try to privatize them like a good capitalist. NAV Canada is so horrendous those controllers would stroke out sitting in at NY or Chicago TRACON.

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If someone tweets stupid bullshit, why would I be expected to sift through all that to find any valid and thoughtful points that person may have? 

Because what they have to say in a long form interview is thought provoking, unique, and a valuable contribution?

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

You should read all your posts and assess where you fall on the meanness versus kindness spectrum. 

I confess that I have a weakness: I think that mean people suck.

I guess they really are the poor, mistreated portion of our society.  We should definitely treat them with kid gloves, and empower their shittiness.

Naah, I'll keep on loathing people who don't give a shit about others/have zero empathy for their fellow human beings, who celebrate cruelty, and champion being shitty.  I'm good with that.  The one group I'm not very tolerant of is that group.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

So we are at the point in the game where people are actually, seriously and earnestly trying to equate government work and bureaucracy as equally efficient as the private sector.

And people wonder why we can't ever have any constructive conversations that build on each other, because you have people who truly believe things based on emotion and "experience" (first, second, third, 50th-hand) and we can't even align on the most basic of obvious things.

As an aside, I've noticed the attempt to reframe and reset the narrative around the government--and when I say government, I mean as a machine and general entity to create and execute on strategies and ideas, NOT the party politics, but as a "business"--  and try to sell people on the government and the government workers (and politicians) aren't actually inefficient and wasteful and full of below-average people and is good at implementing.

Serious question, is this POV people trying to be political? Short-term memory of young and naïve people who haven't been around for a while? Trolls? People trying to be provocative? 

Edited by BeardIP

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You really wanna play the post history game, Johnny deacon?

It's okay that he occasionally gets drunk and harasses our resident transgender posters because he listens to the Gospel on his long morning walks. #findyourownhappiness

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I confess that I have a weakness: I think that mean people suck.

I guess they really are the poor, mistreated portion of our society.  We should definitely treat them with kid gloves, and empower their shittiness.

Naah, I'll keep on loathing people who don't give a shit about others/have zero empathy for their fellow human beings, who celebrate cruelty, and champion being shitty.  I'm good with that.  The one group I'm not very tolerant of is that group.

You're the hero we need.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Because what they have to say in a long form interview is thought provoking, unique, and a valuable contribution?

Oh, so you are familiar with the writings of J Stang?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

are you under the impression that the cost of a burger relative to how much money you make personally over time is the conversation that we're having?

There is a certain type of person who can only see any given topic in terms of how it does or does not affect them personally 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Why would I waste time trying to figure out if they have something substantive to say when what they put out for quick public consumption is such ridiculous tripe?