2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

2-3? Go look at the entire season where he was picked on constantly. He's slow as fuck, takes shitty angles, gets burned, but I guess those 3 INT'S make up for it since they landed in his hands at the perfect time. 

4.45 40. competed in 4x200, 4x400, long jump, triple jump

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

It's more that he was a walk on and thus, theoretically, not athletic enough for a scholly.

I don't care that he's a walk-on. I don't care that he's white. Yes, he makes sure everyone is in place, but he's slow and gets burned. He's not athletic enough to start. He's a good kid, but he shouldn't be starting at a school like Texas. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Now do Jalen Catalon, Kitan Crawford, and Jerrin Thompson. Because they are all playing at various other colleges now for a reason. 

Fuck no. That entire rotation was an abortion. I'm done with the Taaffe talk. I'll just wait and see how he's progressed. I hope I'm wrong. 

4.45 40. competed in 4x200, 4x400, long jump, triple jump

Where’d you get the 4.45? I was curious when the in-season discussion happened about how slow we were.

Fans are morons when he comes to their perceptions of certain things. They can’t get over certain elements of some players including the walk-on status. But at least they double down and blame them for other players errors. Nevermind there are multiple former walk-ons running around the NFL.

15 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

One last failure we need to purge ourselves of is Michael Taaffe. He's unathletic, gets burned constantly, misses INT'S, catches what amounts to balls landing in his hands. If Mukuba can't unseat that dude, we're in trouble. 

And Duvernay has bad hands.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Fuck no. That entire rotation was an abortion. 

Yet, they somehow stumbled their way to the CFP...and you're bagging on the player who performed the best among them.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Nahlin’s insistence that Crawford is going to have a long and productive NFL career is his hottest take. The kid looks like a million bucks in shorts, but he has very low football IQ and is bereft of instincts. The football IQ thing can gradually improve while he’s playing football full time, but he’s going to have to make a team first. 

Catalon is just washed. I’m not sure what was promised when he transferred here, but he shouldn’t have been a starter. 

Taafe isn’t a bad option when those are your choices, but he shouldn’t be playing in front of the young 5 stars or Mkuba. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Catalon is just washed. I’m not sure what was promised when he transferred here, but he shouldn’t have been a starter. 

Aside from being injured all the time, when he played, I felt he contributed quite a bit.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Taafe isn’t a bad option when those are your choices, but he shouldn’t be playing in front of the young 5 stars or Mkuba. 

I think a mostly three man rotation of Mukuba, Williams, and Taaffe will be fine and a major upgrade from last year. Sounds like Jelani McDonald might break through as well, so we'll see on him.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

2-3? Go look at the entire season where he was picked on constantly. He's slow as fuck, takes shitty angles, gets burned, but I guess those 3 INT'S make up for it since they landed in his hands at the perfect time. 

Ok so you can’t point to any specific plays… do advanced stats show his deficiency? Are you willing to support your claim at all or are we just here yelling at clouds?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think a mostly three man rotation of Mukuba, Williams, and Taaffe will be fine and a major upgrade from last year. Sounds like Jelani McDonald might break through as well, so we'll see on him.

Agreed.

I get practice warrior vibes on McDonald, but he’s still very young. It’ll be interesting to watch him in games. 

16 minutes ago, B00M said:

Ok so you can’t point to any specific plays… do advanced stats show his deficiency? Are you willing to support your claim at all or are we just here yelling at clouds?

Yelling at clouds because I do not want to watch every single play of every game. I suspect he'll get better this season, but hope Mukuba is the starter. Regardless, he was not good they last 2 seasons, but payers grow and get better (even Jett Bush got better), and since Taaffe is a smart kid, I hope his athleticism catches up with his brain. He's not Gideon or Haines. 

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

And slow too.

IMG_9109.gif

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, B00M said:

I think he was poking fun at your unsupported hot take. We all know DD was legit

I know. I get the sarcasm. I just wanted to use a Ron Swanson gif because there's always a reason to use Ron Swanson gid

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Fucking iPhone auto correct
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nahlin’s insistence that Crawford is going to have a long and productive NFL career is his hottest take. The kid looks like a million bucks in shorts, but he has very low football IQ and is bereft of instincts. The football IQ thing can gradually improve while he’s playing football full time, but he’s going to have to make a team first. 

Crawford might make the USL if he's lucky 

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yelling at clouds because I do not want to watch every single play of every game. I suspect he'll get better this season, but hope Mukuba is the starter. Regardless, he was not good they last 2 seasons, but payers grow and get better (even Jett Bush got better), and since Taaffe is a smart kid, I hope his athleticism catches up with his brain. He's not Gideon or Haines. 

Are you saying he’s better or worse than Gideon and Haines?

19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Interesting that you call out a dude who is tied at 5th for career interceptions here at DBU. Only played 3 years.

Great. He makes interceptions, but he also gets torched and picked on for good reason. Hopefully in his final year he'll not get picked on, or he's running second team. Just admit he has serious flaws and should not be a starter. Yes, he gets guys lined up, but now they shouldn't need it since they're been in the system long enough. And if you've noticed, a lot of those INT'S literally just fell into his hands. I pray he's taken a  jump and gets his deficinces cleared up so he's not the weak link back there now that Crawford is at North Texas probably getting torched, too. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Great. He makes interceptions, but he also gets torched and picked on for good reason. Hopefully in his final year he'll not get picked on, or he's running second team. Just admit he has serious flaws and should not be a starter. Yes, he gets guys lined up, but now they shouldn't need it since they're been in the system long enough. And if you've noticed, a lot of those INT'S literally just fell into his hands. I pray he's taken a  jump and gets his deficinces cleared up so he's not the weak link back there now that Crawford is at North Texas probably getting torched, too. 

You're an idiot. Most of the season, when you've seen Taaffe get burned, it was actually another DB getting burned and Taaffe trying to make a play from behind. He isn't an eraser at safety, but he has been consistent. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

You're an idiot. Most of the season, when you've seen Taaffe get burned, it was actually another DB getting burned and Taaffe trying to make a play from behind. He isn't an eraser at safety, but he has been consistent. 

I'm sorry for hurting your sons feelings, Mrs. Taaffe. I understand your need to defend him. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't care that he's a walk-on. I don't care that he's white. Yes, he makes sure everyone is in place, but he's slow and gets burned. He's not athletic enough to start. He's a good kid, but he shouldn't be starting at a school like Texas. 

And yet he still gets burned and takes bad angles. Speed means nothing when you take bad angles and get burned over the top. 

Hold on, I want to see if I understand your position: Are you trying to say that you think he's slow? That he takes bad angles? That he gets burned?

Just want to be clear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Hold on, I want to see if I understand your position: Are you trying to say that you think he's slow? That he takes bad angles? That he gets burned?

Just want to be clear.

I just made the assumption he's slow, but someone corrected me on that. But he gets burned and takes bad angles. Just go to the football threads for the games and his name will pop up a hundred times. I don't want to hear it's another DB who's getting burned. They all were, but there's a difference in the caliber of athlete/player in Muhammed/Brooks/Watts/Barron/Williams than Taaffe. And no, it's  not because he's white. It's because they have better instincts. He was a walk-on for a reason. It's a feel good story that he's on scholarship now, but Mukuba is the kind of athlete we need back there. He's instinctual. 

If you're in the Taaffe camp, we'll just agree to disagree. I'm honestly burned out talking about it. It's dumb, and people are acting like it's ruining their lives because I'm not part of some hive-mind who all of the sudden believes he's always been some great DB. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

You know it's the offseason when we drink the kool-aid and compare former walk-ons to all time greats. Then the season starts and we bitch about why our DBs are the worst.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Would Taafe even sniff the 3-deep at UGA or Bama? 

Well, Bama has 4 dudes at the last two NFL combined that ran some S. The fastest was 4.55 and slowest was 4.60. Georgia had a S last year that ran 4.62. Now Georgia did have mid-4.4 guys this year. Demani Richardson was 4.6.

And this year, the two fastest S were from the Big 12. Neither was Tyler Owens either.

To answer your question, hell if I know. There aren’t a ton of 220 pounders running 4.4s however.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Fuck no. And anyone who says otherwise is regarded 

Cash Jones

crop.webp.5f51e8684cf025cc901320746fe85c85.webp

Position:
    RB

Height:
    6-0

Weight:

Class:
    Junior

Hometown:
    Brock, Texas

High School:
    Brock

2023: Played in all 14 games for the Bulldogs…rushed for 161 yards and one touchdown on 22 attempts, adding 11 catches for 92 yards and one TD...Caught 27-yard touchdown pass in win over Ball State...ran for 13-yard touchdown in win over South Carolina, also catching an 11-yard pass...recorded three carries for 65 yards, including a 57-yard rush, in win at Vanderbilt...had two tackles and a forced fumble in win over Florida State in the Capital One Orange Bowl.

Georgia provided Jones with a preferred walk-on opportunity, one that the back found too good to pass up. “Coach McGee, he did a good job throughout my recruitment process. He called me quite a bit,” Jones said. “I felt like I had the best opportunity to really grow more and into my full potential here.Sep 21, 2023

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Cash Jones

crop.webp.5f51e8684cf025cc901320746fe85c85.webp

Position:
    RB

Height:
    6-0

Weight:

Class:
    Junior

Hometown:
    Brock, Texas

High School:
    Brock

2023: Played in all 14 games for the Bulldogs…rushed for 161 yards and one touchdown on 22 attempts, adding 11 catches for 92 yards and one TD...Caught 27-yard touchdown pass in win over Ball State...ran for 13-yard touchdown in win over South Carolina, also catching an 11-yard pass...recorded three carries for 65 yards, including a 57-yard rush, in win at Vanderbilt...had two tackles and a forced fumble in win over Florida State in the Capital One Orange Bowl.

Georgia provided Jones with a preferred walk-on opportunity, one that the back found too good to pass up. “Coach McGee, he did a good job throughout my recruitment process. He called me quite a bit,” Jones said. “I felt like I had the best opportunity to really grow more and into my full potential here.Sep 21, 2023

So he doesn't start and hardly plays 

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

people want to point to someone like CJ Goodwin (special teams ace, iffy DB who played <2% of defensive snaps) who has earned over $8m during his 9 year career as an example of what a very good ST guy can be but those dudes are few and far between.

was Nahlin the one who said he thought Crawford would get drafted too?

51 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Fuck no. And anyone who says otherwise is regarded 

Well he might start on a top-3 team. So I'm going to guess that, yes, he would be in the three deep at Bama or Georgia.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

So he doesn't start and hardly plays 

ATHENS — Cash Jones had no idea what to do with his hands. The redshirt sophomore had just scored a critical touchdown in Georgia’s game against South Carolina, as his 13-yard fourth-quarter touchdown pushed Georgia’s lead to 24-14.

So Jones, whose first name is short for his mother’s maiden name Cashion, thought quickly and decided to imitate a similarly undersized Texas football player as he rubbed his fingers together to celebrate.

“Johnny Manziel,” Jones said of his inspiration for the touchdown. “He carried the legacy of the celebration.”

Jones is not going to be a Heisman Trophy winner they make Netflix documentaries about. But he’s become an important piece of the Georgia offense so far this season. Injuries have decimated the running back room, as Branson Robinson is out for the season and Georgia could very well be without Kendall Milton and Roderick Robinson this weekend.

“I just try to control the controllables,” Jones said. “I hate it for them, so I’m just trying to do the best for me and the team and just try to help us win whichever way possible.”

Jones earned rave reviews during fall camp, emerging as one of the true bright spots at the running back position for Georgia. His pass-catching ability was something that separated him from Georgia’s other running backs.

Those skills were on display during Georgia’s win over Ball State, when Jones made a nifty 27-yard touchdown grab on a pass from Carson Beck.

Through the first three games of the season, Jones has 7 carries for 29 yards and 7 receptions for 67 yards, to go along with his two touchdowns. His touchdown against South Carolina was a big moment for the walk-on, who at one point during his recruitment was committed to New Mexico State before deciding to walk on at Georgia.

“Coach (Dell) McGee, he did a good job throughout my recruitment process,” Jones said. “He called me quite a bit. He said that the scholarship spots were full. I felt like I had the best opportunity to really grow more and into my full potential here. It’s definitely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I couldn’t be more blessed than to be in this situation.”
Daijun Edwards removes all doubt as he powers Georgia football offense on career day

Jones was a four-sport athlete in high school, playing baseball, basketball and track at Brock High School in Brock, Texas. Jones says baseball was his second best sport but he also won a state championship as a sprinter. He arrived at Georgia ahead of the 2021 season but was injured and needed ankle surgery.

His first moment in the sun came against Vanderbilt in 2022, scoring his first touchdown on a 36-yard run. Jones has shown an uncanny ability to find the endzone, scoring 3 touchdowns on his 19 career touchdowns to this point.

“He’s awesome. He’s one of the hardest working people on our team,” offensive lineman Dylan Fairchild said. “He comes in everyday and gets the job done. He’s been a really good player and a good teammate.”

But his latest touchdown felt different, Jones admits. It didn’t come during garbage time but at an important junction in an SEC game.

Jones is no longer just another successful walk-on for Georgia with a cool name. He’s a key player at a position of need for the Bulldogs.

and for completeness - https://www.si.com/college/georgia/football/kirby-smart-details-the-importance-of-walk-ons-within-the-georgia-program

Edited by Bevo