2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

20 hours ago, Fud said:

If he were a projected day one pick, he'd be in the draft this year 

ESPN came out with top 10 returning secondary players in the nation and Makuba was on the list. Not a guarantee he is 1st or 2nd day player, but likely a draft pick. Personally, I will root for Makuba to take Taaffe's job. I believe Makuba offers athleticism and versatility at safety beyond Taaffe's abilities. We will see how it works out. Either way this is not an issue like guard 2 years ago or Edge under Sark the first 2 years. These are 2 viable options. This isnt going to result in Ben Davis starting. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

ESPN came out with top 10 returning secondary players in the nation and Makuba Mukuba was on the list. Not a guarantee he is 1st or 2nd day player, but likely a draft pick. Personally, I will root for Makuba Mukuba to take Taaffe's job. I believe Makuba Mukuba offers athleticism and versatility at safety beyond Taaffe's abilities. We will see how it works out. Either way this is not an issue like guard 2 years ago or Edge under Sark the first 2 years. These are 2 viable options. This isnt going to result in Ben Davis starting. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

ESPN came out with top 10 returning secondary players in the nation and Makuba was on the list. Not a guarantee he is 1st or 2nd day player, but likely a draft pick. Personally, I will root for Makuba to take Taaffe's job. I believe Makuba offers athleticism and versatility at safety beyond Taaffe's abilities. We will see how it works out. Either way this is not an issue like guard 2 years ago or Edge under Sark the first 2 years. These are 2 viable options. This isnt going to result in Ben Davis starting. 

I salute you for your bold prediction

• Haha 1

Regarding S, they didn't bring Mukuba in for free. Williams and Filsaime aren't solely at Texas because, gee whiz, they just fell in love with the darned place. Taafe is held in the same regard, which is a bit eye opening. I don't think it will matter who is starting (other than to the four players) because they're all going to be rotating heavily. If anyone else works their way into the rotation, unrelated to injury, kudos to that player and to the program for finding that value. 

Taafe is a good instinctual player who also happens to be slower than preferred. While he's not Gideon or Adimora mediocre, I'd like to think that the other 3 guys are getting 90% of the snaps in 2024. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

The scheme (Fangio style heavy cover 4/6) helps lesser athletes at safety who know what they're doing due to time in the system, but optimally you prefer 5* freaks who know what they're doing 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Taafe is a good instinctual player who also happens to be slower than preferred. While he's not Gideon or Adimora mediocre, I'd like to think that the other 3 guys are getting 90% of the snaps in 2024. 

You are a few years younger than me, so I'm not sure you can relate, but I'm friends with his uncle. I was a very good athlete but small and he was taller but not as good of an athlete. So through all of our basketball, football, etc., it was pretty obvious we were gonna have to go pro in something other than professional sports. With all that said, we have to look at Michael as a better version of us. So, team MT.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Agree, let's get back on topic here.

What does everyone think our safety rotation will look like this season?

It will be equally exciting and perplexing. 

• Haha 1

Two Austin kids.

One chose to stay home. One chose to leave (even though legit reasons for doing so) and return when the gettin was good.

I’ll assume they’ll both play and maybe even at the same time. But if I’m hoping one to be more successful, I go with the one that stayed.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

JFC I would hope so.

Hey, I was a little short of 5'10" and could dunk and ran like half as fast as ctj - so I was like lightning. And we all went to Texas and dominated intramurals. Not that it matters but back when we sucked, a guy I started in front of in HS walked on at UT in football. God, we sucked back in the late 80s.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Agree, let's get back on topic here.
What does everyone think our safety rotation will look like this season?
200.gif
Everyone here has PTSD from Gideons dropped easy pick likely costing us a shot at the NCG in 08, and the Dylan Haines human hurdle experience. Michael Taafe has proven he doesn't drop the easy picks and is somehow more physical than Haines. Taafe will most likely still be in the rotation, but safety will be fine if Mukuba is as advertised and some of our young studs make their expected leaps.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Two Austin kids.

One chose to stay home. One chose to leave (even though legit reasons for doing so) and return when the gettin was good.

I’ll assume they’ll both play and maybe even at the same time. But if I’m hoping one to be more successful, I go with the one that stayed.

While I understand what you're saying, we better hope Mukuba is more successful - because that means Texas is impacted more positively at the safety position.

Mukuba has more upside than Taafe in probably every trait. So, I want his potential realized. If it is, that realized potential will generate very impactful production and Texas Football will be better for it.

That being said, Taafe provides very good depth and leadership in the safety room.

Edited by MuellerHorn

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Taafe is going to make really good money this cycle to be on the field, in the rotation, making plays.

Things are going so well we're even paying our walk-ons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Fud said:

The scheme (Fangio style heavy cover 4/6) helps lesser athletes at safety who know what they're doing due to time in the system, but optimally you prefer 5* freaks who know what they're doing 

OTF has said they're seeing some looks this year in spring they didn't see last year from Texas and experimenting with one high looks....they believe this is coming from Nansen.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

You are a few years younger than me, so I'm not sure you can relate, but I'm friends with his uncle. I was a very good athlete but small and he was taller but not as good of an athlete. So through all of our basketball, football, etc., it was pretty obvious we were gonna have to go pro in something other than professional sports. With all that said, we have to look at Michael as a better version of us. So, team MT.

A good kid from a good family, one might say?

• Like 1

Since there isnt much to discuss, what are we thinking with Ant Hill 0 and LB this season? Looking at depth chart it seems obvious to move him offball to replace Ford and maybe rotate with Blackwell and Gbenda (Lefau?)

LSU lived this same scenario with Perkins in 2023 and I didnt watch every LSU game but I remember their fans complaining about it

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Since there isnt much to discuss, what are we thinking with Ant Hill 0 and LB this season? Looking at depth chart it seems obvious to move him offball to replace Ford and maybe rotate with Blackwell and Gbenda (Lefau?)

LSU lived this same scenario with Perkins in 2023 and I didnt watch every LSU game but I remember their fans complaining about it

It's not like he was living on the edge last year. I imagine he's the one every-down LB with the names you mentioned all rotating situationally/for spells. Gbenda's my bet for the other week 1 starter to have a veteran presence in there, and because Michigan is going to be one of his higher snap count games.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It's not like he was living on the edge last year. I imagine he's the one every-down LB with the names you mentioned all rotating situationally/for spells. Gbenda's my bet for the other week 1 starter to have a veteran presence in there, and because Michigan is going to be one of his higher snap count games.

I would expect to see a healthy amount of Blackshire in that game. If you are going to bring in a 260 LB MLB, that is the game to use him

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I would expect to see a healthy amount of Blackshire in that game. If you are going to bring in a 260 LB MLB, that is the game to use him

What about the Bama transfer?

• Prepare your anus 1

23 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

LSU did a whole bunch of idiotic things last season on defense. They used Perkins as a spy multiple times to their detriment. They basically took him out of games. Using him as a spy against FSU rendered him irrelevant. 

Frankly, if you take out the Arkansas 2022 and Arkansas 2023 games, where Perkins went apeshit, his stats in both seasons are otherwise pedestrian. Maybe the new staff gets it right with him.

If you believe the Nansen hype, Hill is going to be all over the field as a 3 down LB this season. Here's hoping.

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

They didn't want him coming in at 260. 

I think expectations on Blackshire are unrealistic. He was never an excellent player in HS or at Bama, even though he looked the part. I'd be stunned if, outside of special teams, Blackshire was getting more than 10% of the snaps in any single game unless there are injury issues. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

LSU did a whole bunch of idiotic things last season on defense. They used Perkins as a spy multiple times to their detriment. They basically took him out of games. Using him as a spy against FSU rendered him irrelevant. 

Frankly, if you take out the Arkansas 2022 and Arkansas 2023 games, where Perkins went apeshit, his stats in both seasons are otherwise pedestrian. Maybe the new staff gets it right with him.

If you believe the Nansen hype, Hill is going to be all over the field as a 3 down LB this season. Here's hoping.

They didn't want him coming in at 260. 

I think expectations on Blackshire are unrealistic. He was never an excellent player in HS or at Bama, even though he looked the part. I'd be stunned if, outside of special teams, Blackshire was getting more than 10% of the snaps in any single game unless there are injury issues. 

He just fits the Michigan offense. I am not high on Blackshire, but he should decent from C gap to C gap in the run game. You dont want him covering Loveland. This should be the type of game suited for him. I can see him getting peak play time vs run oriented teams and watching from the sidelines vs passing teams, but we will find out. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He just fits the Michigan offense. I am not high on Blackshire, but he should decent from C gap to C gap in the run game. You dont want him covering Loveland. This should be the type of game suited for him. I can see him getting peak play time vs run oriented teams and watching from the sidelines vs passing teams, but we will find out. 

That is some wishcasting shit right there, Codaxx. It's a good new look for you, so have at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think I fucked up. Mea culpa.

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

How did he do vs Michigan just a few months ago?

While I understand what you're saying, we better hope Mukuba is more successful - because that means Texas is impacted more positively at the safety position.
Mukuba has more upside than Taafe in probably every trait. So, I want his potential realized. If it is, that realized potential will generate very impactful production and Texas Football will be better for it.
That being said, Taafe provides very good depth and leadership in the safety room.

There are many variables to this. I understand your view but don’t necessarily agree. I won’t bore/annoy you with 40 times for S that I’ve thrown out in the past several months, but it’s clear that even the NFL doesn’t hold athletic traits as the end all be all. For a S processing speed is critical. I don’t know how you measure that.

As fud referenced, if Mukuba had been fulfilling his potential, maybe he’s off to the NFL already. I do believe everyone matures differently so that’s not a knock on him. It’s very possible that he takes it to another level. Taafe logged significant snaps on a solid defense and top 5 team. You don’t do that particularly as an undersized, walk on without some traits albeit not measured with a stopwatch or measuring tape.

From reading others, it sounds as though Mukuba has some versatility. There’s probably some merit to getting Barron some run at CB. So drop Mukuba to the slot. For me an equal consideration is that Brooks needs to elevate his game or he logs more bench time. I’d bet if the opponent runs 4/5 wide then Mukuba is in.

My guess is we’ll rotate the back end quite a bit with different personnel groupings. Hell, I’d like to see a 6th DB on the field occasionally too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How do you define, "never excellent" in HS? 

I agree it never translated at Bama, but wasn't he a Top 20 prospect in Texas?

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There are many variables to this. I understand your view but don’t necessarily agree. I won’t bore/annoy you with 40 times for S that I’ve thrown out in the past several months, but it’s clear that even the NFL doesn’t hold athletic traits as the end all be all. For a S processing speed is critical. I don’t know how you measure that.

As fud referenced, if Mukuba had been fulfilling his potential, maybe he’s off to the NFL already. I do believe everyone matures differently so that’s not a knock on him. It’s very possible that he takes it to another level. Taafe logged significant snaps on a solid defense and top 5 team. You don’t do that particularly as an undersized, walk on without some traits albeit not measured with a stopwatch or measuring tape.

From reading others, it sounds as though Mukuba has some versatility. There’s probably some merit to getting Barron some run at CB. So drop Mukuba to the slot. For me an equal consideration is that Brooks needs to elevate his game or he logs more bench time. I’d bet if the opponent runs 4/5 wide then Mukuba is in.

My guess is we’ll rotate the back end quite a bit with different personnel groupings. Hell, I’d like to see a 6th DB on the field occasionally too.

It will be interesting to see Nansen's influence. Does Texas run more single high? Nansen had some dime looks. Difference between the 2 is you have 0 issues dropping Makuba down on a WR. Lot is going to depend on how they use the secondary this year. 

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Being ranked as a top 20 prospect by recruiting services and being an excellent hs football player aren’t always the same thing. 

Saban/bama saw his potential and thought they could get him there. They didn’t 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

OTF has said they're seeing some looks this year in spring they didn't see last year from Texas and experimenting with one high looks....they believe this is coming from Nansen.

PK ran a ton of single high at UW. I've been waiting for us to install it. When we hired him I actually thought that BJ Foster was going to kill it as the box safety (oof). I think he's just been limited by having so little reliable athleticism at DB so far. 

I'm hoping that the combination of corners who can be trusted more than 15 yards downfield and Derek Williams lets the defense evolve in similar way to the offense last year; that is, the coordinator can finally run their full playbook. 

Side note: I see people talking about Wisner being a good fit for the "Keilan role." The Keilan role isn't really a unique position. Sark is going to use a variety of motion and screen concepts for lots of his skill players. It was only limited to Keilan the first two years because X was our only good receiver, so he needed to be running down the field, and it was more important to use Bijan/Rojo as traditional RBs. Once we added Mitchell last year, X was able to eat up Keilan's snaps. Next year I'd expect Bond, Blue, Wingo and others to all be able to fill that. I hope Wisner gets some PT, but it won't because he's put into a special Keilan role position.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

PK ran a ton of single high at UW. I've been waiting for us to install it. When we hired him I actually thought that BJ Foster was going to kill it as the box safety (oof). I think he's just been limited by having so little reliable athleticism at DB so far. 

I'm hoping that the combination of corners who can be trusted more than 15 yards downfield and Derek Williams lets the defense evolve in similar way to the offense last year; that is, the coordinator can finally run their full playbook. 

Side note: I see people talking about Wisner being a good fit for the "Keilan role." The Keilan role isn't really a thing. Sark is going to use a variety of motion and screen concepts for lots of his skill players. It was only limited to Keilan the first two years because X was our only good receiver and it was more important to use Bijan/Rojo as traditional RBs. Once we added Mitchell last year, X was able to eat up Keilan's snaps. Next year I'd expect Bond, Blue, Wingo and others to all be able to fill that. I hope Wisner gets some PT, but it won't because he's put into a special Keilan role position.

I think the Keilan role refers to Keilan's skills on special teams and not necessarily offense.

15 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

He was kind of a tweener coming out of HS. Many thought he was going to end up at DE. 

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Side note: I see people talking about Wisner being a good fit for the "Keilan role." The Keilan role isn't really a unique position. Sark is going to use a variety of motion and screen concepts for lots of his skill players. It was only limited to Keilan the first two years because X was our only good receiver, so he needed to be running down the field, and it was more important to use Bijan/Rojo as traditional RBs. Once we added Mitchell last year, X was able to eat up Keilan's snaps. Next year I'd expect Bond, Blue, Wingo and others to all be able to fill that. I hope Wisner gets some PT, but it won't because he's put into a special Keilan role position.

I agree on that. Blue is similar to KR. Not really sure why you would take someone like Blue out to run a swing pass to Wisner. 

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Being ranked as a top 20 prospect by recruiting services and being an excellent hs football player aren’t always the same thing. 

Certainly not always a 1-to-1 relationship, but they typically don't rate complete JAGs (working in the thread title) as 4-Star, Top 20 prospects.  

Granted I never saw him play in HS, but I remember reading about him on the recruiting board.  But I know he was good enough for Jeff banks to recruit him twice.

38 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Mukuba was played at slot last year after having a more promising run at Safety, where he projects in the NFL. He was less effective as a slot and I have heard that he is being used at Safety primarily so far.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think the Keilan role refers to Keilan's skills on special teams and not necessarily offense.

In part, but he was also used as a space player and a guy they tried to get out on the edge. He was really good in the pony package as the second back. That is what he used to bust big plays versus Ok State in the B12 title game.

Mukuba was played at slot last year after having a more promising run at Safety, where he projects in the NFL. He was less effective as a slot and I have heard that he is being used at Safety primarily so far.

So where does that leave him in a 4/5 wide set? Assuming we want to run man.

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Hill already played off ball LB last year, so we’re not moving him. I’m sure he’ll still blitz plenty again this year, but his role isn’t changing. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

You’ve clearly never watched Blackshire play.  Blackshire was slow and couldnt move at 250ish. Now he’s over 260. He would get absolutely murdered by Michigan’s offense, and playing him significant snaps would be monumentally stupid. Blackshire was a culture take. He may get some run in goal line situations, but that’s pretty much it. 

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So where does that leave him in a 4/5 wide set? Assuming we want to run man.

Are you under the impression we don’t play safeties in dime sets? He’ll still be playing safety.  PK very rarely runs true man. He’s almost all quarters/matching, which is perfectly fine for Mukuba at Safety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Certainly not always a 1-to-1 relationship, but they typically don't rate complete JAGs (working in the thread title) as 4-Star, Top 20 prospects.  

Granted I never saw him play in HS, but I remember reading about him on the recruiting board.  But I know he was good enough for Jeff banks to recruit him twice.

I'm not an expert, scout or professional evaluator, but I do watch a fuckton of THSF, especially in the Metroplex, and Blackshire was surrounded by talent that made him look likewise, but he was very jaggy.  I am sorry we wasted a scholarship/NIL on him.  I'd much rather his snaps go to someone with upside, like Burrell, for instance.

• Hook 'Em 3

Are you under the impression we don’t play safeties in dime sets? He’ll still be playing safety.  PK very rarely runs true man. He’s almost all quarters/matching, which is perfectly fine for Mukuba at Safety. 

I’m under the impression we don’t run dime. The biggest drawback/benefit of slower/faster guy is man coverage. If he’s not great at playing the slot, then his upside is limited even if only slightly.

Last year, we had a problem, particularly with Houston, when they spread us out and got the safety down and into man, they fared well. I’d assumed this was a reason we brought Mukuba on board. Stay with base personnel and have more flexibility against offensive personnel in dropping a safety into the slot.

Blackshire is the same jag today that he was a few years ago.  Meh.
I'm reserving judgement until I see him in actual battle with live fire. (Wearing burnt orange and white)

And I admit to occasional idiocy, and own it.