Texas Basketball 2024-25

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't get this. 

Mitchell is flawed but he can rebound and play defense at times. I would much rather have Mitchell back than Hunter. Mitchell can at least fill certain roles. I expect both to be gone though. 

He's a total non-threat offensively despite improving. He can't pass, dribble, or shoot well enough to be a threat in any of those ways so the only way to make him productive on offense is through fast-breaks despite him potentially having the worst dunk% I've ever seen in a player. If you have a center like Disu who can stretch the floor he's able to play the dunker spot and that damage is mitigated but he just shrinks the court for everyone else. Yes he's a good defender and rebounder, I'm willing to trade some of that off for the offensive end.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think grabbing Brandon Garrison from OSU would be a great start to portal szn. Great size, athleticism, can rebound and defend. His biggest issue is he couldn't stay out of foul trouble this year, but as a freshman that isn't super concerning long term.

Also have no offensive game.   If he and Mitchell are out there the defense would only have to defend three guys at best

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'm just a stubborn weirdo. I'd rather keep guys around who have already been here and contributed significant minutes. That includes Hunter and Mitchell. Glad Shedrick has already announced his intent to return.

100%. you can’t count on freshmen, and transfers are iffy. max abmas was the #3 guy in the portal last year while dalton knecht was no.13. ha ing guys who’ve been in the building for years is a good thing, especially if they have potential, however untapped it may be. that describes mitchell and tyrese.

fans tend to underestimate how valuable experience is. experience generally breeds consistency. yes, mitchell and tyrese have been consistently frustrating, but i’d rather keep them and hope for some growth then to just let them go and bring in some unknown to take their place. 

if dillon would dedicate himself to being an energetic rim runner he could be a really helpful player. if tyrese would mirror his shot chart with that of zion williamson he could average 17 ppg, maybe more with all of the FTA he would get. these guys ability and potential, and they have experience and comfortability here. i want them and all other potential returners to do just that- return.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I feel like Tyrese just needs to believe in himself. He can take over a game and dominate at times, when his confidence seems to be flowing, but that only happens like 1 in 5 outings.

He doesn't have to be that good all the time, but if he could find the happy medium ... his game would blossom.

If you ever read this stupid forum, Tyrese, ❤️ ya, man, and hope you hang around. But if you portal out and move on, we still ❤️ ya and wish you the best. The past two years have been much better than the previous 11.

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'm just a stubborn weirdo. I'd rather keep guys around who have already been here and contributed significant minutes. That includes Hunter and Mitchell. Glad Shedrick has already announced his intent to return.

depth, maturity and experience in the "system" is always a plus.  System refining/upgrading and player growth will be needed for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mitchell and Hunter had plenty of opportunities to improve over the last two years. It's not like their minutes were limited and didn'tget enough chances to showcase their talents. They just are not good players, and hoping for them to miraculously improve next year will only set us up for failure. Hopium is not a winning strategy. It may be a good coping mechanism for the fans (works for Aggy), but the coaches are paid millions to know better.

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Mitchell and Hunter had plenty of opportunities to improve over the last two years. It's not like their minutes were limited and didn'tget enough chances to showcase their talents. They just are not good players, and hoping for them to miraculously improve next year will only set us up for failure. Hopium is not a winning strategy. It may be a good coping mechanism for the fans (works for Aggy), but the coaches are paid millions to know better.

You still need 5 players on the floor and a guy that can handle the ball. Telling Hunter to walk when we have no one close to soak up his usage is an idiotic strategy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

They'd be good depth and can certainly fill a few roles, but agree their roles do not include offensive consistency (nor great ball handling for their respective positions).  Both are plus defenders who can start next year if the roster is rounded out with some shooters/scorers.  Both can have a double digit scoring game a good 30-50 percent of the time.  Both have their holes.  With them on the team next year, we will still need 3-4 more guys who can consistently get a good shot off and have the potential to more often than not get 12-17 points a game.

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

You still need 5 players on the floor and a guy that can handle the ball. Telling Hunter to walk when we have no one close to soak up his usage is an idiotic strategy. 

Hunter can't handle the ball. I know that's his position but he has shown no ability to fight off any kind of press. Even when nobody is pressing him, he would dribble into traffic and turn the ball over. I don't think PG is his natural position. Maybe he can play better off the ball.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

That’s the whole point. You let him walk so you can bring in someone who can be more efficient. 

Is there anything Hunter provided this year in his average games that couldn’t be replaced by a solid starting PG at Sienna or UMBC or some such? If he stays it’s not like his usage is going to increase. Tre Johnson is going to be the volume scorer/shooter and Weaver, Scott, Chris Johnson will all be taking on various roles at the guard spots. If the fear is if you let Hunter walk you can’t replace his uneven production, that’s a sad and lazy way for a coaching staff to think. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

That’s the whole point. You let him walk so you can bring in someone who can be more efficient. 

Is there anything Hunter provided this year in his average games that couldn’t be replaced by a solid starting PG at Sienna or UMBC or some such?

If he stays it’s not like his usage is going to increase. Tre Johnson is going to be the volume scorer/shooter and Weaver, Scott, Chris Johnson will all be taking on various roles at the guard spots. If the fear is if you let Hunter walk you can’t replace his uneven production then that’s a sad way for a coaching staff to think.

Would I rather have a 4th year guard (3rd year in our system) to play a reduced role than a mid tier transfer? Absolutely. 

Hunter had some bad turnovers against Tennessee but he also got to the bucket at will for layups to bring us back in the game. It’s not like he was unplayable. He shot 6-11, the rest of the team was 14-44. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Would I rather have a 4th year guard (3rd year in our system) to play a reduced role than a mid tier transfer? Absolutely. 

Hunter had some bad turnovers against Tennessee but he also got to the bucket at will for layups to bring us back in the game. It’s not like he was unplayable. He shot 6-11, the rest of the team was 14-44. 

Okay so this brings up the next question. Do we think Hunter would happily accept a reduced role after starting 106 college games? That doesn’t seem like a great career trajectory.

Why should we as a program be having to cover up a guy who has started 106 games? It’s like having a 3 year starter in football at QB who has been inconsistent and thinking changing out the skill players will make things better.

Edited by Hookem2147

14 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Can always bring back Rowan Brumbaugh

Why does it not surprise me you continue to pound the table for a guy who a) isn’t coming back here and b) had a worse year than Hunter in pretty much every meaningful category

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Both can have a double digit scoring game a good 30-50 percent of the time. 

Well, Mitchell hit double digits in 17 games out of 34 this year, so he's already at the upper end of your range.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't continue to improve at least a marginal amount.  People are underrating him because they don't see an NBA starter.

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'd rather keep guys around who have already been here and contributed significant minutes. That includes Hunter and Mitchell.

Tyrese: Third in scoring, tied for most in assists, tied for most in steals, lead in turnovers, shot pretty well.
Dillon: Fourth in scoring, highest in rebounds, fourth in turnovers, third in blocks, shot well (dunks).

players24.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

With a solid point guard joining the team, how quickly we'd forget the endless frustrations of watching Hunter. Now, before anyone asks, I haven't even tried to figure out who that replacement should be. All I know is that the NCAA tournament always showcases quite a few guards better than him, and a decent SEC-to-be program should be able to find one. 

13 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

we need at least 3 starters to change this team's trajectory.  Adding role players will have us fighting to just make the tournament again.

At least the conference change should provide a few more easy wins.

While I don't disagree, this is a big puzzle and all the pieces have to fit together. You can't just bring in 5 transfers who all expect to play 25+ minutes a night. It's what makes the portal a delicate game. We really wanted Cam Spencer last year but by the time he entered the portal, we had already landed Abmas, Weaver and Hunter had announced he was returning. We couldn't sell the ball-handling minutes he was looking for. 

We know Johnson, Weaver and Scott will all be expecting to play heavy minutes in the backcourt next year. They can probably add one more guard so they better be sure it is someone they really like. After that point, no more selling heavy guard minutes. Frontcourt is probably a different story because Shedrick is a 15-18 minute guy so there are lots of minutes available. 

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

While I don't disagree, this is a big puzzle and all the pieces have to fit together. You can't just bring in 5 transfers who all expect to play 25+ minutes a night. It's what makes the portal a delicate game. We really wanted Cam Spencer last year but by the time he entered the portal, we had already landed Abmas, Weaver and Hunter had announced he was returning. We couldn't sell the ball-handling minutes he was looking for. 

We know Johnson, Weaver and Scott will all be expecting to play heavy minutes in the backcourt next year. They can probably add one more guard so they better be sure it is someone they really like. After that point, no more selling heavy guard minutes. Frontcourt is probably a different story because Shedrick is a 15-18 minute guy so there are lots of minutes available. 

I think we need two guards. 

I would not be confident at all if we are reliant on two FR next year in the backcourt. Also, you can probably play Johnson or Scott at the 3 and Weaver played there with the small lineup including Abmas/Hunter. 

What we really need is a playmaking guard off the dribble. I'm not sure that's really Johnson, Weaver, or Scott. 

Johnson is 6'6 and Scott is 6'5. 

Both these guys have similar size and more length than guys we played minutes at the 3 last year in Weaver and Cunningham. I think we can definitely sell 2 more guards because a couple of Johnson, Scott, and Weaver are going to play significant minutes at the 3/wing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think we need two guards. 

I would not be confident at all if we are reliant on two FR next year in the backcourt. Also, you can probably play Johnson or Scott at the 3 and Weaver played there with the small lineup including Abmas/Hunter. 

What we really need is a playmaking guard off the dribble. I'm not sure that's really Johnson, Weaver, or Scott. 

I think Johnson will be able to create off the dribble, but you are correct that it should be a high portal priority. Go find us a RayJ Dennis to pair with our star freshman guard (JaKobe Walter for Baylor, Tre Johnson for us). Baylor was also able to get Jayden Nunn so maybe that is the sort of blueprint to follow. 

Maybe they can get one starter-level guard and then get someone who can fill more of a complimentary role (better IT Horton) 

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think Johnson will be able to create off the dribble, but you are correct that it should be a high portal priority. Go find us a RayJ Dennis to pair with our star freshman guard (JaKobe Walter for Baylor, Tre Johnson for us). Baylor was also able to get Jayden Nunn so maybe that is the sort of blueprint to follow. 

Maybe they can get one starter-level guard and then get someone who can fill more of a complimentary role (better IT Horton) 

I think a playmaking guard off the dribble can be found in the portal. We don't need a crazy scorer or shooter. Just somebody that can get downhill with quickness and create for others. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Tyrese Hunter has started all 106 games of his college career. And as a starter, his team has won 6 tournament games (a Sweet 16, an Elite 8 and a Round of 32).  On the ISU Sweet 16 team, he lead the team in assists and was 2nd in scoring and minutes. On last year's Elite 8 team, he was 3rd in scoring, 3rd in assists and 3rd in minutes.  On this year's team he was tied for 1st in assists, 1st in steals, 3rd in scoring, 2nd in minutes.

TJ Otzelberger and Chris Beard both thought enough of him to make him a starter - and he has proven he can start on an elite team that has success in March.  Just about anybody you get in the portal to replace him is going to carry way more risk than they bring in upside.  Hunter also has a lot of "dog" in him and can be a defensive menace.

By far his biggest issue is the turnovers. My goodness the turnovers.  We have had a lot of players who have had similar turnover metrics, but it isn't really the number of turnovers, it is when and how they happen. For the year, he averaged 2.6, which isn't terrible considering that at their BEST, TJ Ford had 2.5 a game. DJ Augustin had 2.8. Matt Coleman had 2.6.     

I still mainly blame our roster composition. We had to have Hunter handling the ball to try to free up Abmas to move off the ball as our primary scorer.  I love Weaver, but wouldn't trust him as a primary ball handler against a team like Tennessee.  And Horton was also not the answer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Tyrese Hunter has started all 106 games of his college career. And as a starter, his team has won 6 tournament games (a Sweet 16, an Elite 8 and a Round of 32).  On the ISU Sweet 16 team, he lead the team in assists and was 2nd in scoring and minutes. On last year's Elite 8 team, he was 3rd in scoring, 3rd in assists and 3rd in minutes.  On this year's team he was tied for 1st in assists, 1st in steals, 3rd in scoring, 2nd in minutes.

The advanced stats look much different. 

For example, Hunter finished 9th on the team in BPM in '23 and 7th in BPM in '24. He's been an average player surrounded by a legit team in '23 and a good team in '24. Hunter is simply not a guy you can count on to be one of your best players. 

Perhaps, but Shedrick is #2 on the team in BPM and for me he had at least as many cringe moments as Hunter.  Mitchell was #3 on the team and half the people on this thread want him to hit the portal.

6 minutes ago, MrX said:

I wouldn’t run off either Hunter or Mitchell but Hunter has to play off the ball next year…

Yeah but we already have several of those type players in Scott, Johnson, and Weaver. 

We need a more prototypical PG or somebody that can create off the dribble. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The 247 comp is Devin Booker. 

does he have a mid range game like booker? because that would be amazing. every year when i watch the tourney i see guards winning games by creating their own shot and hitting midrange jumpers. we haven’t had someone like that in a while.

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

does he have a mid range game like booker? because that would be amazing. every year when i watch the tourney i see guards winning games by creating their own shot and hitting midrange jumpers. we haven’t had someone like that in a while.

This is his scouting report on 247.

"He’s most effective when he’s able to operate in space, whether that be in the open floor or attacking a close-out. He’s a dangerous shooter off the dribble and while he can make tough threes, his favorite spots are in the mid-range area. He can pull-up over top of contesting defenders, step-back to create some space, and even bring smaller defenders into the mid-post and operate with his back to the basket."

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i haven’t followed recruiting super closely in forever. who is a good tre johnson comp? keyontae george? rob dillingham? someone else?

Derka, yourself, one handed from half court.

#showmealoss

• Haha 1