Texas Basketball 2024-25

3 hours ago, KingBobo81 said:

FWIW, Dillon Mitchell tweeted about the Texas One Fund an hour ago...seems odd for somebody who is thought to be leaving?

Seems normal for a player who is being paid to post about the Texas One Fund at pre-determined dates?

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Where was Dalton Knecht on this list last year?

Heading into last year's portal I really wanted Grant Nelson,  but his time at Bama proves that,  although he's a decent player,  he was no where near the difference maker that I thought he'd be.  The basketball portal isn't necessarily the exact science it claims to be. Counterintuitively the college football portal rankings seem to be much more predictive than its college basketball equivalent. Typically predicting football player quality is more of a hit or miss excercise than basketball,  but not in this area. 

The Athletic's portal rankings. Vecenie is involved with the list, so it should be good

Vecenie from the athletic has a running ranking of portal players

1) Tucker DeVries- Drake

2) Malik Mack- Harvard

3) Kanaan Carlyle- Stanford

4) Cade Tyson- Belmont

5) Terrence Edwards- James Madison

6) Clifford Omoruyi- Rutgers

7) Ja'Kobi Gillespie- Belmont

'8) Zeke Mayo- South Dakota State

9) Brandon Garrison- Oklahoma State

10) Kobe Johnson- USC

11) Gibson Jimerson- Saint Louis 

12) Maxime Raynaud- Stanford

13) Dug McDaniel- Michigan

14) Tarris Reed- Michigan

15) Saint Thomas- Northern Colorado

16) Darlinstone Dubar- Hofstra

17) JP Pegues- Furman

18) Igor Milicic Jr- Charlotte

19) Frankie FIdler- Omaha

20) Andrej Stojakovic- Stanford

21) Amari Williams- Drexel

22) Tony Perkins- Iowa

23) Brandon Johnson- East Carolina

24) Rytis Petraitis- Air Force

25) Malik Dia- Belmont

https://theathletic.com/5360188/2024/03/27/ncaa-transfers-portal-rankings-list/

• Hook 'Em 2

Saint Thomas (great name) is a stud, wonder if he’s wanting to go back home to Creighton/Nebraska or somewhere else. Was very underrated out of high school even though he played with 5 star Hunter Sallis and put up numbers on a top team. Tough to match what Knecht just did at Tennessee, but Thomas went in and pretty much replaced DK’s 2022-2023 production at UNCo this season. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in a power conference. Preferably not for an SEC opponent though.

Hope we reach out to Fidler too as an Omaha high school basketball homer. Our Nebraskan representation has been severely lacking since Matt Hill graduated.

13 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The basketball portal isn't necessarily the exact science it claims to be.

I don't think the portal claims to be anything. The folks that think the portal is a simple pick and win endeavor that only fails if you don't "work it" hard enough are the fools you're looking for.

20 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I don't think the portal claims to be anything. The folks that think the portal is a simple pick and win endeavor that only fails if you don't "work it" hard enough are the fools you're looking for.

*basketball portal rankings**

13 hours ago, Fud said:

The Athletic's portal rankings. Vecenie is involved with the list, so it should be good

Vecenie from the athletic has a running ranking of portal players

1) Tucker DeVries- Drake

2) Malik Mack- Harvard

3) Kanaan Carlyle- Stanford

4) Cade Tyson- Belmont

5) Terrence Edwards- James Madison

6) Clifford Omoruyi- Rutgers

7) Ja'Kobi Gillespie- Belmont

'8) Zeke Mayo- South Dakota State

9) Brandon Garrison- Oklahoma State

10) Kobe Johnson- USC

11) Gibson Jimerson- Saint Louis 

12) Maxime Raynaud- Stanford

13) Dug McDaniel- Michigan

14) Tarris Reed- Michigan

15) Saint Thomas- Northern Colorado

16) Darlinstone Dubar- Hofstra

17) JP Pegues- Furman

18) Igor Milicic Jr- Charlotte

19) Frankie FIdler- Omaha

20) Andrej Stojakovic- Stanford

21) Amari Williams- Drexel

22) Tony Perkins- Iowa

23) Brandon Johnson- East Carolina

24) Rytis Petraitis- Air Force

25) Malik Dia- Belmont

https://theathletic.com/5360188/2024/03/27/ncaa-transfers-portal-rankings-list/

Three guys from Belmont?

5 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Semi-relevant to us, Alabama just made the elite 8 and their roster is almost entirely mid-major transfers and freshmen. 

And they have Nate Oats as their coach.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pancho said:

And they have Nate Oats as their coach.

Yet this is their first time making the elite 8 with him, despite being a 1 seed and a 2 seed in two other tourneys.  Tommy Floyd has the same issue. A lot of regular season success without the tourney success to show for it. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

this is oats’ fifth year at alabama and his third trip to (at least) the sweet 16 in four trips to the dance. id call that tourney success.

edit: he also won tourney games each of his last two years at buffalo.

pancho’s point remains: you can build a team using the portal, but having a top 10 coach in cbb makes all the difference in the world.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Who would you say are the current top-10 coaches (ranked preferably)?

i was just thinking about this. gonna take some time to compile a list, but there’s defintely a changing of the guard taking place. i still have bill self way up near/at the top, but the recent/semi-recent order with names like coach k, roy williams, tom izzo, jay wright, tony bennett etc being at the top is changing. names like hurley, oats, beard, lloyd, otzelberger are climbing, while guys like barnes, sampson, and pearl are still doing their thing at a high level. it’ll be an interesting exercise to try and rank these guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Everybody always forgets about Scott Drew, but he is probably in the top 5. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah but also to be fair fuck him.

Why fuck him?!?? 

maybe I’m missing something but I would love to have him as a Texas coach. He’s been great in Waco

• Fuck You 3

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i was just thinking about this. gonna take some time to compile a list, but there’s defintely a changing of the guard taking place. i still have bill self way up near/at the top, but the recent/semi-recent order with names like coach k, roy williams, tom izzo, jay wright, tony bennett etc being at the top is changing. names like hurley, oats, beard, lloyd, otzelberger are climbing, while guys like barnes, sampson, and pearl are still doing their thing at a high level. it’ll be an interesting exercise to try and rank these guys.

And then how do you rank coaches like Lloyd, who suck ass in March (and Shaka)

58 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he also has the easiest path to the S16 of any team in this tournament. 10 seed colorado will be the best team he beats on his way to the elite 8. 

I know you hate Shaka, but no he didn’t have the easiest path. 

UConn did. 

21 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I know you hate Shaka, but no he didn’t have the easiest path. 

UConn did. 

15 seed wku > 10 seed colorado > 11 seed NC State who had to win five straight SECT just to get in. it’s one of the easiest paths to the EE i’ve ever seen. maybe the actual easiest.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Who would you say are the current top-10 coaches (ranked preferably)?

This might help discussion... Barnes ranked behind Shaka is hilarious

College basketball coaching rankings: The Top 25 And 1 coaches as the 2023-24 season gets underway

By David Cobb    Nov 1, 2023 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-rankings-the-top-25-and-1-coaches-as-the-2023-24-season-gets-underway/

The And 1

And 1: Chris Beard, Ole Miss

The off-court issues which led to Beard's dismissal at Texas last season have tainted his reputation, but he's proven himself to be a winner at Little Rock, Texas Tech and Texas. Don't be surprised if he wins at Ole Miss, too. Beard will look to join Barnes and Smart as coaches on this list who have found life after Texas to feature plenty of success with less stress. (13)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

15 seed wku > 10 seed colorado > 11 seed NC State who had to win five straight SECT just to get in. it’s one of the easiest paths to the EE i’ve ever seen. maybe the actual easiest.

ACC, but yes.

Marquette has had an easy path. Still, tourney wins are tourney wins. 

Shaka has shown tournament improvement every year at Marquette. 

2021: Round of 64

2022: Round of 32

2023: Sweet 16 (at least)

I don’t like him because he was an idiot of a coach at Texas who grossly underutilized and underdeveloped his talent. However, he has adapted some at Marquette, and it’s showing. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Mark Few and Scott Drew should be on that list.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The year Beard went to the finals they opened with northern Kentucky and then 15 seed Buffalo.  Luck can help many

Tournaments have always been about luck. Unless you’re running through a bunch of 1s and 2s, a lot of teams get some favorable paths. You still have to win the damn game 

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

I'm going to hold off on further comments about Shaka choking until he bows out this year.  He beat the hell out of us and very well could be in the Elite 8 by this time tomorrow.

OK. Now we can make fun of Shaka again.  Whew!

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I take that back—Duke has had the easiest route to the EE (and prob FF)

31 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I take that back—Duke has had the easiest route to the EE (and prob FF)

lol wut? duke had to play houston, who they would have lost to had ahead not gotten hurt in the 1h. how is that an easier path than 15 seed wku > 10 seed colorado > 11 seed NCState? get real man.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol wut? duke had to play houston, who they would have lost to had ahead not gotten hurt in the 1h. how is that an easier path than 15 seed wku > 10 seed colorado > 11 seed NCState? get real man.

13 seed vermont

11 seed JMU

1 seed without their best player

11 seed NC State

Seriously?

21 minutes ago, Pancho said:

13 seed vermont

11 seed JMU

1 seed without their best player

11 seed NC State

Seriously?

uh, yes, seriously. jamal shead was not injured heading into that game. there is no way in hell that you’re convincing me or anyone else that vermont > jmu > HOUSTON is an easier road than wku > colorado > nc state. on path faces all double digit seeds, the other faces the no.2 overall seed in the entire tourney. this is not even an argument.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

uh, yes, seriously. jamal shead was not injured heading into that game. there is no way in hell that you’re convincing me or anyone else that vermont > jmu > HOUSTON is an easier road than wku > colorado > nc state. on path faces all double digit seeds, the other faces the no.2 overall seed in the entire tourney. this is not even an argument.

Well of course because it goes against Shaka, which you prefer.

Ha Ha Lol GIF

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

It’s the weakest if you include the Shead injury, which Pancho is.

Of course it’s not the weakest if you don’t include the injury.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s the weakest if you include the Shead injury, which Pancho is.

Of course it’s not the weakest if you don’t include the injury.

this conversation started before the games were played and before shead was injured. shaka faced three double digit seeds, duke faced the no.2 overall team in the field and the #2 most popular pick to win the title. of all the disingenuous arguments around here lately this one might take the cake.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

this conversation started before the games were played and before shead was injured. shaka faced three double digit seeds, duke faced the no.2 overall team in the field and the #2 most popular pick to win the title. of all the disingenuous arguments arriving here lately this one might take the cake.

Obviously the Duke point is in hindsight. You overuse the word disingenuous.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Transfer alert:

I do not think RT was a big fan of those small guards. We were just tiny with Hunter and Abmas. Then even smaller when we played 3 guards with Weaver. 

The big difference I see between the women's and men's teams are length/size. We just have length/size all over the court on the women's team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Transfer alert:

Ironic though probably only means something to the olds - on the day Louis Gossett, Jr dies (RIP), a dude named Zeke Mayo transfers.

MY GRANDMOTHER WANTS TO FLY JETS, MAYO-NAISE!

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2