Texas Basketball 2024-25

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You implied players like Mark and Larry are "low-hanging fruit" because they aren't 1st or 2nd team P5 players. They are very good players and generally the type of players you have to add from the portal. 

Whatever dude. You win Surly. I don't have time for arguing with people who can't see the big picture, which is to construct a championship caliber roster. Texas should always be able to add transfers from non-P5 schools, hence my "low hanging fruit" comment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Whatever dude. You win Surly. I don't have time for arguing with people who can't see the big picture, which is to construct a championship caliber roster. Texas should always be able to add transfers from non-P5 schools, hence my "low hanging fruit" comment.

I mean it's just a dumb comment. 

Another final 4 team (Alabama) just won with their top 3 players transferring from Ohio, South Dakota State, and Hofstra. Really good players come from non-P5 schools in college basketball. Those type players are not "low hanging fruit." 

Do you think Larry was an easy get simply because he went to a non-P5 school? You do know that schools like Duke, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, etc were all involved right? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Teryor said:

Mildly Texas relevant that things ended poorly enough that we're not getting listed as a previous stop

I didn't even realize he ended up at Southern Illinois last season. Wasn't there speculation that he was going into the agency world when he left Texas or something of that sort? It always felt a little fishy, especially when he left right around when the findings from the NCAA infractions case against Kansas were set to be released. 

20 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

So far we have picked the low hanging fruits imo. Getting the all 1st and 2nd team guys from power conferences is harder, but that's what we need to make deep runs in March.

So we should wait for every top 10 guy in the portal like last year? And when all but 1 say no have no role players to recruit. Let’s do that again! Stop commenting so much pal

21 minutes ago, Mattk8686 said:

So we should wait for every top 10 guy in the portal like last year? And when all but 1 say no have no role players to recruit. Let’s do that again! Stop commenting so much pal

You're a fucking idiot trying to make a strawman argument. I guess not every graduate of this fine university is meant to change the world.

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

If Pope is in, we look something like 

G - Pope, Larry

G - Johnson, Weaver

G - Mark

F - Kent, Codie

F - Shedrick, Onyema

Gotta go get an other big you’d think.  Garrison sounds out, there’s been talk of the Air Force kid close to committing. 

We need 2 bigs at least. Onyema should never play another minute here. Shedrick is a body

• Like 4

Garrison is visiting this weekend, and Kentucky and Arkansas are getting visits if he doesn't commit on the trip 

The Athletic has the stretch 5 ranked as their #23 portal player 

On 4/17/2024 at 8:34 AM, HookEm said:

Like I said, if a player was a contributor on a winning program, that is also a positive sign.  Tramon Mark checks a lot of boxes and he is exactly the kind of player we have been missing.  I would rather he had some accolades, but it isn't a deal breaker.

And the portal rankings are always imperfect.  Some sites do a better job than others.  Max Abmas was the #2 portal player last year (On3). Kadin Shedrick was #43.  Tramon Mark was #78 player. Weaver was #272.  Onyema was unranked.  

At some point, I'll put together a comparison of the top-35 portal players from last year and we can see who did the best job.

Go check out where Dalton Knecht was rated in last year's portal. I believe he was in the mid 30s and he turned out to be easily the best transfer this past season. Also we were in on arguably the 2nd best transfer last season, Cam Spencer, but he waited so long to jump into the portal that we had no chance of getting him due to Hunter coming back.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Garrison is visiting this weekend, and Kentucky and Arkansas are getting visits if he doesn't commit on the trip 

The Athletic has the stretch 5 ranked as their #23 portal player 

This is starting to feel like what @closetojumpingsaid in the recruiting thread that Garrison's handlers apparently have a high premium on his value. This feels like a recruitment that just comes down to if we value Garrison enough to pay him what he wants. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is starting to feel like what @closetojumpingsaid in the recruiting thread that Garrison's handlers apparently have a high premium on his value. This feels like a recruitment that just comes down to if we value Garrison enough to pay him what he wants. 

Garrison might be worth the premium 

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Garrison might be worth the premium 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think he might be. 

There are better guards/wings in the portal compared to bigs so that already naturally creates a premium. He's also a special athlete for a guy his size. 

If he’s worth the premium, then someone will pay it. Texas isn’t short on NIL for basketball. If they think they have to have him, they can afford him. They may have a different opinion than you guys, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If we do add Garrison, I wonder if Texas plans to play even more up-tempo next year. 

We are adding a lot of length and athleticism. This feels like a roster built to play in the open court. 

That was Haith's MO as a head coach, right?

16 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Terry that's not how you land recruits. You need to stand back to back and do some gay little country jig in slow motion while Garrison twirls the ball around. 

On 4/17/2024 at 11:15 AM, UTEE97 said:

I'll go with the coach's judgement over yours. How did that kid from Northern Colorado work out

last year?

47 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I'll go with the coach's judgement over yours. How did that kid from Northern Colorado work out

last year?

Sorry I should have fallen in line with "trust the corches" during the offseason and save my criticisms for the in-season when we fail to live up to our expectations. Then we will say, if only we are able replace a few underperformers, we would be elite. Wait till next year! That is the Aggy, I mean the surly way now.

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Sorry I should have fallen in line with "trust the corches" during the offseason and save my criticisms for the in-season when we fail to live up to our expectations. Then we will say, if only we are able replace a few underperformers, we would be elite. Wait till next year! That is the Aggy, I mean the surly way now.

clutch the pearls.gif

41 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

No one is telling you to fall in line. Just don't make comments about kids you 

know nothing about. If they don't play up to your expectations next year, then bitch away.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

No one is telling you to fall in line. Just don't make comments about kids you 

know nothing about. If they don't play up to your expectations next year, then bitch away.

First of all, I never said I didn't like the "kids" that committed to us. I acknowledged in one of my posts that they were upgrades over what we lost in Mitchell and Hunter. What I also said was that we still needed to replace our top players in Disu and Abmas and that first or second team all P5 conference guys are what we needed for those replacements. Abmas was lighting it up in a non-p5 conference but that didn't translate well to big 12. You can be pleased with the new guys and still want better players to round out the roster. Only RT fanatics would take such comments as attacks on him or the "kids" who probably make more on NIL than most adults on this board except the nurses.

Edited by UTEE97

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, we need a 1/2 all-conference guy to replace Abmas, a non-P5 guy?  

That don't make no sense.

You seem like someone who needs everything to be spelled out for you to understand. We need better players to replace Disu and Abmas' production, if we hope to be equal or better than this year. Meditate on what I wrote for a few days and then maybe it will make sense.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

You seem like someone who needs everything to be spelled out for you to understand. We need better players to replace Disu and Abmas' production, if we hope to be equal or better than this year. Meditate on what I wrote for a few days and then maybe it will make sense.

You seem like someone who struggles with the definition of "replace".  Meditate on that, and write better.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You seem like someone who struggles with the definition of "replace".  Meditate on that, and write better.

If you struggled to understand the intent of my post, then I have a fairly good idea of how successful you're in life. Stop wasting my time. I don't want to engage with you.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If you struggled to understand the intent of my post, then I have a fairly good idea of how successful you're in life. Stop wasting my time. I don't want to engage with you.

LMAO.  Yeah, I struggle to be successful.  Oh how I wish I was UTEE97, a person who routinely brings shame on the UT Cockrell School of Engineering.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO.  Yeah, I struggle to be successful.  Oh how I wish I was UTEE97, a person who routinely brings shame on the UT Cockrell School of Engineering.

I bring so much shame that the dean is pleading to join their innovation center as an advisor. You should quit while you're behind, moron. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I bring so much shame that the dean is pleading to join their innovation center as an advisor. You should quit while you're behind, moron. 

I'll check in with my friend who directs what is probably the same group.  Your random, illogical and confrontational hot takes might be interesting.

My legacy among UT engineering grads is not only beyond solid but is in the process of blowing the roof off Austin startups.  Pay close attention to huge international business publications over the next month for a clue. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll check in with my friend who directs what is probably the same group.  Your random, illogical and confrontational hot takes might be interesting.

My legacy among UT engineering grads is not only beyond solid but is in the process of blowing the roof off Austin startups.  Pay close attention to huge international business publications over the next month for a clue. 

Screenshot_20240421_154940_Gmail.thumb.jpg.459f50c60dc9906255106c91d951b974.jpg

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Lucky for you, different group.  Not that I'd actually dox you, but be careful how you insult people.  It could backfire with someone who isn't as nice as I am.

I get along fine with people who matter. I have low tolerance for people who like to argue for the sake of arguing or try to defend the status quo when the status quo is subpar. I just tried to defend my position that you and few others took different from what I intended. You can't make positive change if you're not willing to take risks or be unpopular. Anyway, enough thread derailment and I apologize to other posters for this back and forth. 

2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

First of all, I never said I didn't like the "kids" that committed to us. I acknowledged in one of my posts that they were upgrades over what we lost in Mitchell and Hunter. What I also said was that we still needed to replace our top players in Disu and Abmas and that first or second team all P5 conference guys are what we needed for those replacements. Abmas was lighting it up in a non-p5 conference but that didn't translate well to big 12. You can be pleased with the new guys and still want better players to round out the roster. Only RT fanatics would take such comments as attacks on him or the "kids" who probably make more on NIL than most adults on this board except the nurses.

You're backtracking faster than a Port Lavaca sand crab. You never answered my question about the kid

from Northern Colorado. You probably thought that he was low hanging fruit.