2024 NCAA Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight Games

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, JGrayDBU said:

I knew there was something about this game that reminded me of something.  The NC State FG% is eerily similar to Villanova's % in the best, biggest upset in Final game history...I remember exactly where I was to watch that game. I mean 2nd half % for NC State, over 70%.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

dj burns is america’s player.

I think he is a good contrast to what I was saying earlier about Edey...Burns is too fat to be a good rebounder but his post moves and touch are miles ahead of Edey, where Edey is more just huge without great moves/touch but he's so huge he's just naturally a great rebounder.

That looked like a clean block

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Aidoo was absolutely terrible offensively for three straight games, sending him to the bench should have happened sooner. him going to the bench has nothing to do with the outcome.

Benching the team’s third highest scorer for second half in elite eight game was significant.

7 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Our favorite has always been, “Send it in, Jerome!”.

Raftery's trademark calls include "Send it in big fella!" when a big man dunks — such as Pittsburgh's Jerome Lane backboard-shattering slam in 1988. "With a little kiss!" when a player makes a bank shot (my personal favorite). "A little nickel-dimer!" when a weak foul is called. "Get the puppies organized!" when a player displays good footwork and "A little lingerie on the deck!" when a player leaves a defender in the dust.

There is one Rafteryism that stands above the rest, however.

"Onions!"

Similar to Breen's "Bang", "Onions!" is used when a player hits a clutch shot late in the game. How did Raftery come to associate big shots with a cheeseburger's best accessory?

----------------------------------------------

The Story Behind Bill Raftery's Signature "Onions!" Call

"Onions!" graced basketball fan's ears for the first time during a New Jersey Nets broadcast in 1995. Nets guard Kevin Edwards hit a shot late in a game against the Orlando Magic. How did the former Seton Hall coach react? That's right, "Onions!"

Ian Eagle, who was the Nets play-by-play man alongside Raftery for eight years, explained his initial reaction to ESPN.

"I always thought I was pretty good at translating what Raftery was getting at," Eagle said. "So Kevin Edwards hits a shot and he says, 'Ohhh, onions!' We go to break and I say to him, 'What was that? So good you had to cry?'

And Bill says to me, 'No, big balls!'"  😋

Raftery is the best.

Good read...

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/bill-raftery-onions/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

As a Duke fan, those dudes played like ass today.  I hope Flip doesn’t decide to come back.  And on bright side, he doesn’t have Edey tape to plummet his draft status next week. He would have gotten dominated. 

Now Burns/Edey should be fun.  

On 3/30/2024 at 1:24 AM, TreatyOak said:

Blue Devils think they are better than everyone else cause, well, they are. It’s my younger daughter’s school. Amazing school, amazing campus. Go Blue Devils. 

image.jpeg.001a2a1fcaeb3b103fe200c89ddc2098.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Raftery's trademark calls include "Send it in big fella!" when a big man dunks — such as Pittsburgh's Jerome Lane backboard-shattering slam in 1988. "With a little kiss!" when a player makes a bank shot (my personal favorite). "A little nickel-dimer!" when a weak foul is called. "Get the puppies organized!" when a player displays good footwork and "A little lingerie on the deck!" when a player leaves a defender in the dust.

There is one Rafteryism that stands above the rest, however.

"Onions!"

Similar to Breen's "Bang", "Onions!" is used when a player hits a clutch shot late in the game. How did Raftery come to associate big shots with a cheeseburger's best accessory?

----------------------------------------------

The Story Behind Bill Raftery's Signature "Onions!" Call

"Onions!" graced basketball fan's ears for the first time during a New Jersey Nets broadcast in 1995. Nets guard Kevin Edwards hit a shot late in a game against the Orlando Magic. How did the former Seton Hall coach react? That's right, "Onions!"

Ian Eagle, who was the Nets play-by-play man alongside Raftery for eight years, explained his initial reaction to ESPN.

"I always thought I was pretty good at translating what Raftery was getting at," Eagle said. "So Kevin Edwards hits a shot and he says, 'Ohhh, onions!' We go to break and I say to him, 'What was that? So good you had to cry?'

And Bill says to me, 'No, big balls!'"  😋

Raftery is the best.

Good read...

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/bill-raftery-onions/

I met him a few times while working the Big East Tournament. My encounters with him were always very pleasant. And, I am friends with Jerome so that one always makes me smile.

• Haha 1

• Pancho unpinned this topic