2024 Masters

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is the pickem on the masters website "pick 4 golfers"?

Yes - the link is to the Masters site, it will take you to their pickem, and the Surly group I created.  I am currently in first place (and last place)

• Haha 1

But the Masters Tournament is almost certain to extend a streak this week that it's not terribly happy about.

Severe wind and rain is in the forecast for Thursday's opening round of the 88th edition of the Masters at Augusta National Golf Club. If play is affected – which feels like a certainty at this point – it would mark a fifth consecutive Masters that has had to stop play due to weather delays.

Unfortunately, the tournament's Wednesday afternoon forecast says that a band of thunderstorms with wind gusts of up to 45 mph is expected to cross through the area, starting at 7 a.m. and lasting until 1 p.m.. It's a 40 percent chance of rain after 4 p.m. In all, up to 1 3/4 inches of rain is forecast.

The weather outlook for Friday has no rain, but winds up to 30 mph, with much better conditions expected for the weekend.

1 hour ago, LonghornJones said:

Koepka's wife is a golfer!

That special selection kid from Japan - his gf has a sweet swing. She stuck it to 8 ft. And if Asians are your thing..... Worth a Google that I won't do for you.

Posted (edited)

giphy.gif

Norman is a Damn Snake!!!

Also saw this on number in the field

"89 of the invitees are listed as competing as of April 7. "

Much smaller field, so a late start not nearly as difficult to make up. 

Found this:  "Tour field size each week varies, depending on a number of conditions. Some weeks, there are 156 players. Some weeks, there are 144. Sometimes a tournament has 120 players."

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yes - the link is to the Masters site, it will take you to their pickem, and the Surly group I created.  I am currently in first place (and last place)

I joined.  3 now, if it stays that way we are all guaranteed a podium finish.

Posted (edited)

I joined some fantasy  gambling website in the fall because of a huge overlay they had in a season long NFL pickem. I had kind of forgotten about the site, but I checked it and they have a Masters 6 tier pick'em contest with a guaranteed $100K pool payout ($25 entry). As of now, they have about $50K in entry fees, so they will be chipping in a good chunk by tomorrow I would guess. Pays out top 600 places whether the contests fills up or not.  website is app.splashsports.com if anyone is interested.  Payouts in the spoiler. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a23393a96200c1f59747c8a84f8a63bd.png

1st place        $10,015.95
2nd place        $5,001.75
3rd place        $4,001.40
4th place        $3,001.05
5th place        $2,000.70
6th - 10th place    $1,000.35
11th - 50th place    $500.17
51st - 100th place    $350.12
101st - 150th place    $200.07
151st - 175th place    $150.05
176th - 205th place    $100.03
206th - 299th place    $50.01
300th - 600th place    $40.01

In this contest, if two or more entrants end up with the same score or position, they will share the payout amount for the positions they tied for. For instance, if two entrants tie for the first position, they will each receive half of the first place payout amount along with the second place payout amount. The prize will be divided equally among all tied participants.

This is a guaranteed contest. The payout amounts will not change if the contest does not fill.

Edited by Blotto

No favors done for Tiger by making him late (now 3:54)/early (10:18) tee times - he will likely have to play about 27 on Friday, depending on how slow play is around a wet track today.
Hopefully all the money spend on drainage will pay off today and they get most of the round in today (footnote - sunset in Augusta today is 7:56 - they are not going to play 3 hour rounds)

Posted (edited)

First group goes off at 10:30am ET.  Late afternoon groups may be screwed since they won't finish 18 -- also harder to judge distances and reading putts late in the day with more shadows.

At times wind may be a significant factor today as well.  Wonder when the better scores will happen?

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

It appears that AGN avoid the brunt of the storm, getting only about half an inch of rain overnight, so the course conditions should be pretty good. High winds today and tomorrow should also help dry it out so weekend setup should be close to ideal. 

• Like 1

I have to say that the Masters has the best traditions with the Champions dinner and the honorary starters.
I wonder who will fill the spots for Gary & Jack when they can't hit a tee shot anymore - they are more than past champions, they are icons

Gary (88) stripes one, hope I am still swinging a club at his age
Jack (84) looks like he can barely walk, putting the ball on a tee is accomplishment, but he finds the fairway (which is pretty wide at 150 yards off the tee
Tom (74) is a youngster in this threesome, hell he almost won the British only 15 years ago

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Gary (88) stripes one, hope I am still swinging a club at his age
Jack (84) looks like he can barely walk, putting the ball on a tee is accomplishment, but he finds the fairway (which is pretty wide at 150 yards off the tee
Tom (74) is a youngster in this threesome, hell he almost won the British only 15 years ago

I think Jack is about done. Gary will do it until he’s dead and Tom has several years left in him. Crenshaw should be the replacement when Jack hangs it up. He's very popular , absolutely loves the place and would be a great ambassador. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2024 at 4:50 PM, Wally Fairway said:

9 days until the Ceremonial first shot, the field is set (barring a non-invitee winning the Valero this week), the website has their fantasy game ready to go and The Big Cat is spending a week getting his game back into shape.  The most anticipated event in golf is right around the corner

https://www.masters.com/index.html

Can't wait to see what this years drama is - someone going low from back in the pack, someone throwing it away, someone seeking a breakout first major (only to sink under the pressure of the back 9 on Sunday)

I just picked a foursome. Not seeing how I can find the Surly group. Too late to get in there? (That's what she said.)

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

not sure if you can still sign up

Woo-hoo. I got my team in under the wire 25-30 mins ago and was in GenPop. But your link let me move over into the Surly group.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

How has this not been posted yet.

Only tour event that we know what it means when AGNC pin placements are posted

image.thumb.png.13b75326be4e73aa971f9bf4f457db8b.png

13 & 15 balls will be in the water, 11 in the front is a tough pin/chip from the bail out area

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Masters app 🔥🔥🔥🔥

I don't know why it amazes me every year,  but it does. Maybe it just makes me more angry at all the other shit sports apps out there. But it is the gold standard. Only thing that even comes close is MLB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That Georgia Peach Ice Cream Sandwich slams and goes hard late in the afternoon after walking all day.

you know it

everyone should make the trip once. Seeing the course in person, it’s just a damn great experience 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, pops said:

I don't know why it amazes me every year,  but it does. Maybe it just makes me more angry at all the other shit sports apps out there. But it is the gold standard. Only thing that even comes close is MLB. 

Except if you want to watch your local team 😡😡😡😡

id pay for a pga app if it was Set up like the masters app

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Rickie Fowler looks healthier than in the past.  Would be fun to see him in the hunt for the win on Sunday.

RIckie threw that chance away yesterday, with the Par 3 jinx - nobody who has won the Par 3 has gone on to win the Green Jacket in that year.  No way Rickie is going to have the mojo to break that kind of voodoo. 
All that being said, I am okay if they get some good shots of Mrs Fowler

Edited by Wally Fairway