Georgia Sheriff uses Civil Asset Forfeiture Funds to buy 707 HP car for personal use

"Gwinnett County taxpayers may have to absorb the cost of a nearly $70,000 sports car Gwinnett Sheriff Butch Conway purchased earlier this year that is primarily being used to transport the sheriff to and from work.

Last week, the U.S. Department of Justice sent a letter to the sheriff demanding that the $69,258 Conway spent on the car — the money came from funds seized in federal drug cases — be returned by the end of the month, the FOX 5 I-Team reported.

The letter calls the 2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat, which has a 707 horsepower, supercharged 6.2-liter engine that reaches speeds of 200 mph, “extravagant” and said that law enforcement should spend seized drug money on items that do not create “the appearance of fraud, waste and abuse.”

Yup. He's a Republican. More fiscal prudence from the party of limited government.

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/local/doj-gwinnett-sheriff-must-return-k-used-to-purchase-sports/article_2890059b-eb3e-5057-9c9f-91f3080a11c5.html

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

"Gwinnett County taxpayers may have to absorb the cost of a nearly $70,000 sports car Gwinnett Sheriff Butch Conway purchased earlier this year that is primarily being used to transport the sheriff to and from work.

Last week, the U.S. Department of Justice sent a letter to the sheriff demanding that the $69,258 Conway spent on the car — the money came from funds seized in federal drug cases — be returned by the end of the month, the FOX 5 I-Team reported.

The letter calls the 2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat, which has a 707 horsepower, supercharged 6.2-liter engine that reaches speeds of 200 mph, “extravagant” and said that law enforcement should spend seized drug money on items that do not create “the appearance of fraud, waste and abuse.”

Yup. He's a Republican. More fiscal prudence from the party of limited government.

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/local/doj-gwinnett-sheriff-must-return-k-used-to-purchase-sports/article_2890059b-eb3e-5057-9c9f-91f3080a11c5.html

I had a debate about the use of public funds like this with a relative.

It was concerning the Alabama Sheriff that bought a $750,000 beach house with the surplus of funds that were allocated to feed prisoners. 

The debate was over if the Sheriff's use of the funds was ethical. 

What say you? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It was concerning the Alabama Sheriff that bought a $750,000 beach house with the surplus of funds that were allocated to feed prisoners. 

What say you? 

Of course it's not ethical. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What say you? 

Originally, I would have said unethical. But recent allegations make me think he might have raised most of the beach house money honestly, selling drugs and pimping teen girls.

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Of course it's not ethical. 

Yeah, I took the position it was unethical because it’s a betrayal of the public’s trust.

My uncle argued it wasn’t unethical because the sheriff was just gaming the system and more power to him.

Uncle is kind of a douche and not related to me by blood,  for the record 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, I took the position it was unethical because it’s a betrayal of the public’s trust.

My uncle argued it wasn’t unethical because the sheriff was just gaming the system and more power to him.

Your uncle's a fuckstick.  I wouldn't  let him into my house if I were you.  No telling what he'd steal from you. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Your uncle's a fuckstick.  I wouldn't  let him into my house if I were you.  No telling what he'd steal from you. 

Steal? I think uncle would just sit there in the Laz-E-Boy yelling "HEY DAHLIN! Bring me anuthuh beeuh!"

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Steal? I think uncle would just sit there in the Laz-E-Boy yelling "HEY DAHLIN! Bring me anuthuh beeuh!"

You put a mighty fine scald on this chicken.

• Like 1

"Gaming the system'

That's 100% the problem with Gov these days...it's a game.  And depending on who you know, bribe, or are related to you can get away with murder.  

The Alabama Sheriff...lost his job due to that bull shit FTR.

I'm guessing this GA dipshit will as well. 

I realize both were Republicans...but they'll pay the price. 

• Fuck You 1

On 7/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

legal =/= ethical

51 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Besides the fact that its a Dodge (ick), that isn't even the baddassest Challenger. That would be the Demon.

The Demon's more expensive by $17,000-$20,000 on average, for being .05 seconds on avg. faster on the 1/4 mile. 

Props to him for economizing and thinking of the public welfare.  :)

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You see everyone, when someone on their team does something absolutely despicable and they minimize it, that's okay. It's just a joke, can't you take a joke?

Not a joke at all, and he's been nailed for it. The asset forfeiture rules are a scam that fills the coffers of local PD's.

In the scheme of things, if you can't joke about this, I don't give a flying fuck if the guy's conservative, liberal, or fucking Shinto, you're a miserable person, probably.

But yes, I'll try to get outraged at a Dukes of Hazzard thing 1,300 miles away that means shit to my life and yours.  Because only on this goofy thread would anyone else give a shit.  LOL! 

#myteam means I make political shit out of nothing as well.

39 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The Demon's more expensive by $17,000-$20,000 on average, for being .05 seconds on avg. faster on the 1/4 mile. 

Props to him for economizing and thinking of the public welfare.  :)

Also, Gwinnett County is fairly congested and hilly, so who knows when he'd even find 1/4 mile of straight open track.

More $ for M113s.