Non political Topics that still make you argue...

1. National League making pitchers bat vs the wiser decision of having a DH.

2. Roth vs Hagar

3. Brand X vs Brand Y, and people's allegiances.

4. Regional BBQ and people's shitty sauces

5. Sweet/ Unsweet tea

6. The way people mispronounce pecan

Edited by slorch

Yeah, the DH was the right move. Baseball being the most rigidly protective of tradition naturally has been on the fence about it since day one, but to survive into the 21st c. it really should be played in both divisions.  

Scoring runs is what gets people to the parks. Pitchers whiffing at pitches is funny for about 2 pitches.

Yeah, the DH was the right move. Baseball being the most rigidly protective of tradition naturally has been on the fence about it since day one, but to survive into the 21st c. it really should be played in both divisions.  

Scoring runs is what gets people to the parks. Pitchers whiffing at pitches is funny for about 2 pitches.

Then why make any fielder bat? Just put your best 9 hitters out there. While you’re at it move the fences in to about 250 feet. That should give morons who don’t understand strategy plenty of runs.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Then why make any fielder bat? Just put your best 9 hitters out there. While you’re at it move the fences in to about 250 feet. That should give morons who don’t understand strategy plenty of runs.

Well, pitchers tend to be the players that aren't on the field but once every 4-6 days, so the position makes the most sense.  that and their mechanics make pitching and hitting a bit mutually exclusive at that level.  You're not trying to change the game.

I agree many folks don't get the strategy of a game. I love situational baseball, but the fans are changing, and a game has to address those changes without destroying itself.  

6 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Then why make any fielder bat? Just put your best 9 hitters out there. 

I would never have guessed that you're Huck's sock.  Or vice versa.  

Because I have literally never seen anyone else bring up that strawman.

40 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Sports talk radio personalities talking about anything other than sports. They are all invariably wrong about practically everything.

Most of them are wrong about sports as well.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t see how applying the logic of the DH consistently is a strawman. 

Because you/Huck/NMAS are applying your "logic," not "the" logic of the DH.

No one in favor of the DH wants to see the 9 best hitters come to the plate, like Huck claims they should.   

The people in favor of the DH recognize that there is one position in baseball that is so specialized that its members not only play only once every 5 days, but they're also so incredibly terrible at hitting compared to the other 8 positions, that allowing someone else to hit for them improves the game.  

I have literally never heard any other DH advocate argue that there should be DHs for other positions.

But for some reason, Huck argues that's what should happen, and he repeatedly builds this gigantic strawman any time the DH is brought up.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Because you/Huck/NMAS are applying your "logic," not "the" logic of the DH.

No one in favor of the DH wants to see the 9 best hitters come to the plate, like Huck claims they should.   

The people in favor of the DH recognize that there is one position in baseball that is so specialized that its members not only play only once every 5 days, but they're also so incredibly terrible at hitting compared to the other 8 positions, that allowing someone else to hit for them improves the game.  

I have literally never heard any other DH advocate argue that there should be DHs for other positions.

But for some reason, Huck argues that's what should happen, and he repeatedly builds this gigantic strawman any time the DH is brought up.

Meth is a helluva drug.

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

102 degrees.  "Ha! That's Texas for you."

108 degrees.  "Ahhhh!  We're all going to die!!!!!"

6 degree difference.

102 in Houston is a lot different than 102 in Phoenix...or even Lubbock.

For the cold weather folks, it's like comparing 25 degrees,  with a 45 mph gale blowing in from the north; versus 25 degrees while calm and clear.

Edited by slorch

On 7/20/2018 at 7:53 PM, slorch said:

1. National League making pitchers bat vs the wiser decision of having a DH.

2. Roth vs Hagar

3. Brand X vs Brand Y, and people's allegiances.

4. Regional BBQ and people's shitty sauces

5. Sweet/ Unsweet tea

6. The way people mispronounce pecan

1DH, why get a pitcher injured..?

2 DL Roth...

3 Coke is it..?

4 Texas/ southwest beef ribs...

5 Sweet tea, otherwise it's just flavored water...

6 I say it as: Pee-con

Bonus: Tupac vs Biggie..? 

Tupac_Amaru_Shakur2.jpg

23 hours ago, slorch said:

102 in Houston is a lot different than 102 in Phoenix...or even Lubbock.

For the cold weather folks, it's like comparing 25 degrees,  with a 45 mph gale blowing in from the north; versus 25 degrees while calm and clear.

Those of us who live in places that have all the weather can relate to all sides of this.

It was 100 degrees on Memorial Day, but low humidity.  Not too bad at all.  On 4th of July, it was 92 with high humidity and MUCH more uncomfortable than Memorial Day.

By the same token, a calm 10 degree day is much less miserable than a raging wind 25 degree day.

comedians and actors

seriously, i have been in and seen some pretty heated arguments if someone is funny or not.  from steven wright to kimmel.  same thing about actors (for example, i think timmy olyphant is a horrible actor...watch everyone get triggered now)