The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

36 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Practices been closed?  Was hoping to hear if roope has been participating. 

He skated but didn't practice yesterday. I've seen rumor/speculation about it being a finger/hand issue of some sort (with speculation something is broken).  He hasn't been on the ice in front of media I don't think which is fueling some of that.  If he can't go Thurs (10 days post injury) I'm starting to buy into that.  Hopefully whatever it is heals quickly and/or we keep playing long enough he can return. But if it is something causing an issue gripping a stick - not sure much he can do until better.  Seems kind of difficult to play through and be effective.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you are in luck. It really is Tuesday.

And we are favorites. If Jake does Jake things, we have 4 solid lines that can’t be beat. Yea their 1st is the best in the league but Conner and Leon have been playing 30 fucking minutes each as forwards. Unobtainable for 4 rounds. Plus, both their goalies are wedgewood but not nearly as pretty.

On 5/21/2024 at 8:06 AM, ztejas said:

Anyone wanna hit an away game?

Fuck no--the high temperature in Edmonton next week is probably still in the low 20s.

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Their barn back then played fast as shit and I loved watching Mo skate there. 

Yeah, it was.  That sheet was amazing.

That's one thing I hate about the "modern" NHL.  The NHL I grew up watching had little idiosyncrasies about each barn.  Edmonton had its high-speed ice.  Boston and San Jose had their tiny ice surfaces.  The Igloo had a retractable roof for some reason.  I mean, fuck--the ice at Reunion would famously melt this time of year.

Now everything's all standardized.  And I suppose that's good from a competition standpoint.  But it's just kind of boring.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5500369/2024/05/21/nhl-playoffs-round-3-predictions/

So, the scout either works for Oil, is related to the Oil goalie, or has been previously fired by Dallas.

yeah, that was biased as hell. Skinner has not had a good playoffs by any metric other than they're still playing - barely. Fatigue is definitely a factor. The last two times we got this far our health was our eventual undoing - we may eventually lost, but the series was shortened due to being depleted. We've already shut down a line as good EDM has. To me it's a toss up between Mac and Mc. They're 1A and 1B as far as top players. you pick. But again, as the chart I posted shows, shut down or at least handle their top 5 scorers and they have nothing else. Nearly 80% of their offense is in their top line. I just don't think they can play 30 minutes a night be effective. That's how we finally wore down the Avs - depth. We gots it. Now let's go get it.

On one hand, I hope we don't have storms hit that fuck up my commute home from downtown today. On the other hand, if we do, I'm hope it's right around the time the Edmonton plane is starting their approach and they have to circle Dallas another couple of hours before landing.

• Haha 1

I wonder if roope will be one of those things where after the playoffs are over you find out they were playing with some fairly serious injury.  And if the shot block or cross check that put him out of the lineup was a cause or made something worse. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if roope will be one of those things where after the playoffs are over you find out they were playing with some fairly serious injury.  And if the shot block or cross check that put him out of the lineup was a cause or made something worse. 

he's skating, so maybe they're just being cautious. I like the lack of desperation this time around. We just keep playing like we have all season. Grind it out and get it done. Let's go!

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And if the shot block or cross check that put him out of the lineup was a cause or made something worse. 

I'm pretty sure it's his hand/wrist from the cross check.   I've seen chatter to that effect (speculation broken finger) which would make sense that he's skating but not practicing.  Probably because he can't grip a stick (or doesn't want to while injury healing).  Whatever he was dealing with before seemed to be more in the hips as he didn't have his burst.  Maybe the time off has healed whatever he was playing through if we can get him back with this injury but who knows.   They acted like Hakanpaa was a possibility for the Vegas series yet here we are and he's still not skating.

23 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Dude is going to get paid with how he's show up for Dallas these playoffs. He's 34, I think he's got another 4yr deal in him. I'd love for him to retire a Dallas Star.

I think you'll be surprised at what he asks for to stay in dallas. I think he's at the point in his career where he'd rather win a cup than get big paid. so he'll accept medium paid and a new grill upon retirement. or should we get lucky enough to go all the way he might say fuck it a head elsewhere for a paycheck, but I don't think so.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think you'll be surprised at what he asks for to stay in dallas. I think he's at the point in his career where he'd rather win a cup than get big paid. so he'll accept medium paid and a new grill upon retirement. or should we get lucky enough to go all the way he might say fuck it a head elsewhere for a paycheck, but I don't think so.

So he is going to either stay in Dallas or not. 

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, markstanco said:

So he is going to either stay in Dallas or not. 

giphy.gif

I gave my opinion and which way I think he'll lean, It's not fact, but no one could possibly know what he will do, most of all him. don't be obtuse.

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I gave my opinion and which way I think he'll lean, It's not fact, but no one could possibly know what he will do, most of all him. don't be obtuse.

I was just fucking with you. 

Just now, markstanco said:

How many minutes will 97 and 29 play tonight? 28+? Yes if they score a few goals before we do it would go way down. I’m talking about the score being a 1 goal game the whole way.

Keep them off the power play. None of that 6 men on the ice and shooting it over the boards like the Avs did against us last series. 

Just now, SameSame said:

They looked like they were playing a little defensive on the power play, making sure they didn't pinch too much and give up a breakaway.

I'm fine with that. They probably think that they're the better team and we're more rested. 

Long series.