The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

Posted (edited)

Just flipped to ESPN for the end of the 2nd. No announcer commentary for the last several minutes since I tuned in. I’m assuming a technical glitch?

edit: maybe my shit’s just borked. Was weird though cuz in-arena audio was there

Edited by LonghornSean

33 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Sigh. So many stupid offsides tonight. 

Yeah but the one on the odd man rush wasn't offsides. Amazing that they blew that call. Strange, one might say.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yeah but the one on the odd man rush wasn't offsides. Amazing that they blew that call. Strange, one might say.

From the goal line cam it looked like the player most likely to offsides was Robo himself skating in ahead of the puck as he passed it along the line.  Couldn’t see his feet from the half ice view though. 

Frustrating start to the playoffs.   Refs were a joke, Harley played terrible, Otter off night, etc. etc.   Not sure we were ready for their physical play.  Played better as the game went on so hopefully a big wake up call.   Sidenote - fuck 9PM weeknight starts.  Damn near 1AM before I got in bed.  Ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Frustrating start to the playoffs.   Refs were a joke, Harley played terrible, Otter off night, etc. etc.   Not sure we were ready for their physical play.  Played better as the game went on so hopefully a big wake up call.   Sidenote - fuck 9PM weeknight starts.  Damn near 1AM before I got in bed.  Ridiculous.

Yeah, that's some bullshit alright.

I've been really, really critical of Robo's postseason play but he was OK last night and scored a really nice goal. I still don't think he'll ever be the alpha dog on a Cup winner but he's a nice guy to have on the team. His "off" nights should seem less obvious due to the surrounding offensive talent.

I'm still incredulous about that Marchment call.

I'd forgotten that we dropped Game 1 in all three series we played last year. Overcame Minnesota and Seattle but not Vegas.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

We just dominated possession, but Vegas was really good last night at just not allowing us any space.  I don't remember them being that good defensively, even last season.

Top line was complete ass.  

They pretty much doubled us up in hits.  It was pretty damn clear in the arena that Vegas came to play playoff hockey from the puck drop. Obviously that will never be the Stars style and we don't have their size but I was rooting for someone to risk a boarding call just to send a statement.   The start from the Stars seemed similar to the Mavs game where they thought they could just ease into the playoffs.  We played better as the game wore on and advanced stats had it as pretty much a 50/50 game from an expected goals perspective but obviously need a better start on Weds.   Also, special teams was supposed to be a big Stars advantage in this series statistically and that clearly didn't play out last night.   

But yeah - I definitely recall losing game 1 at home to both MN and Seattle last year then playing much better game 2.  Hopefully that repeats.

• Hook 'Em 1

They pretty much doubled us up in hits.  It was pretty damn clear in the arena that Vegas came to play playoff hockey from the puck drop. Obviously that will never be the Stars style and we don't have their size but I was rooting for someone to risk a boarding call just to send a statement.   The start from the Stars seemed similar to the Mavs game where they thought they could just ease into the playoffs.  We played better as the game wore on and advanced stats had it as pretty much a 50/50 game from an expected goals perspective but obviously need a better start on Weds.   Also, special teams was supposed to be a big Stars advantage in this series statistically and that clearly didn't play out last night.   
But yeah - I definitely recall losing game 1 at home to both MN and Seattle last year then playing much better game 2.  Hopefully that repeats.

Yea in the 2nd I made a comment that Jaime needed to crank Stone and go to the box over it to get the crowd going.

Also, STFU fans every time Stone touches the puck. That does nothing but motivate an opposing player when he is in your house and in your head.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

We just dominated possession, but Vegas was really good last night at just not allowing us any space.  I don't remember them being that good defensively, even last season.

Top line was complete ass.  

The fact that Vegas went six-deep (at least) in the d-corps is pretty much the #1 reason Vegas won the Cup last year. They're big, bad and good. It was mentioned several times last night that even this year Vegas is the #1 team in the NHL in limiting shots from the slot. They pack it in there with these huge d-men and make you do something about it.

I take a little solace in the fact that we looked better equipped to attack Vegas in the second half of the game but the Knights were pretty much playing a typical, defend-a-2-goal lead on the road for the final 30+ mins.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Vegas isn't going to be deterred by something like that and as you mention, it's not really our style.

Stars' Game 1 analytics. Suter, Marchment, Benn, Seguin and Stankoven were DAL's top five skaters last night according to this. Lundkvist, Miro, Roope, Pavs and Harley were the bottom five skaters (with Harley being last). Otter was our worst "graded" player. He was not good but I'm not sure he was worse than Harley or even Roope.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 12.38.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 12.41.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 12.42.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 12.42.32 PM.png

23 hours ago, Hermanator said:

4 goals on 11 shots and really Otter hasn't been terrible. Vegas is getting inside and getting screens on him way too successfully 

Dude he was bad last night. This was mid season Otter. He must be better or we won’t get out of this series. 

Dude he was bad last night. This was mid season Otter. He must be better or we won’t get out of this series. 

I had to go back and find last year’s Stars postseason thread to remind myself where I got the advanced stat “report cards” and reading some of those comments by us was interesting. Otter was not very good in last year’s playoffs either (he allowed 4+ goals in seven of 19 starts). Then he struggled quite a bit with his form this season until the last month or so. Not a good trend.