The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

I played and watched just about every sport growing up but never grew up around hockey. My freshman year at Texas (2009-2010), I played a lot of NHL on XBOX with my suite mates at Jester and ever since have wanted to try to get into hockey and have been very intrigued with the game but have just never had the bandwidth to try to get into another sport. Before this current season, a friend of mine expressed the same sentiment and we vowed to be Stars fans and start getting into hockey this season but didn't follow through and didn't watch a single game this season. Never watched a full game before but I've watched the entirety of the last 3 Stars games now and I think im a hockey fan now. Idk how I'm so invested already but I'm pacing around my living room, yelling, stressing, like I've been a fan my whole life already. I still don't know shit, couldn't tell you what a forecheck is or what offsides is but I'm all in on this shit, playoff hockey is so much fun, go Stars!

• Hook 'Em 2

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

I played and watched just about every sport growing up but never grew up around hockey. My freshman year at Texas (2009-2010), I played a lot of NHL on XBOX with my suite mates at Jester and ever since have wanted to try to get into hockey and have been very intrigued with the game but have just never had the bandwidth to try to get into another sport. Before this current season, a friend of mine expressed the same sentiment and we vowed to be Stars fans and start getting into hockey this season but didn't follow through and didn't watch a single game this season. Never watched a full game before but I've watched the entirety of the last 3 Stars games now and I think im a hockey fan now. Idk how I'm so invested already but I'm pacing around my living room, yelling, stressing, like I've been a fan my whole life already. I still don't know shit, couldn't tell you what a forecheck is or what offsides is but I'm all in on this shit, playoff hockey is so much fun, go Stars!

And it's 100 times better in person.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

NHL playoffs are probably the most exciting, nail biting, everything counts sporting event in existence, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This. Glad to get the W, but Edmonton is damn good and can’t help but feel right now like they’re the better team.

They seem to always win on the boards, pass with excellence and their penalty units are ridiculous.

Gonna take a Herculean effort to take them down. 

We are fine. We’ve played terribly and are tied. I like us in 6. 

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah.  Edmonton is better than Colorado.  I underestimated their bottom 6.

As I was saying. 

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And it's 100 times better in person.

I actually have been to one NHL game before and loved it! Went to a game in Tampa a few years ago when they later won the cup, they played Montreal and if I remember correctly, I believe Tampa went down 3-0 and came back to win 5-4 and it was awesome, Amalie is a great arena.  I need to catch a Stars game next time I'm in Dallas. 

22 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

NHL playoffs are probably the most exciting, nail biting, everything counts sporting event in existence, IMO.

I have long heard of the allure of playoff hockey and I totally get it now.  I'm hooked now and am excited for this new journey of becoming a hockey fan.  Will be following this thread now and hoping to learn the game more.  Go Stars!

3 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

44 years and 3 months ago....  a lot of us on this board found hockey

abc has crystal clear tapes of every game but they are seemingly inaccessible

you can find decent highlights of the sweden & czech games, almost nothing for norway, romania and germany,, but close to complete games for cccp and the finns

this documentary is a quick recounting of those magical 2 weeks in February of 1980...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Without a doubt. Nothing is more nerve-jangling than playoff hockey if your team is involved.

Without a doubt. Nothing is more nerve-jangling than playoff hockey if your team is involved.

12 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Nothing is more nerve-jangling than playoff hockey when your team is involved. It’s so stressful that it’s almost not enjoyable.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Nothing is more nerve-jangling than playoff hockey when your team is involved. It’s so stressful that it’s almost not enjoyable.

when they lose, yes. but when they win, there are not many better feelings

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2024 at 10:35 AM, C-Man said:

the NBA last 4 minutes can be crazy but hockey is so different because

a) there can be nothing going on and then bam some puck luck or crazy shot changes everything in an instant.  

b) the action is basically non stop(1TO, limited penalties, etc). you have stoppages for icing but those are like jump balls in NBA so you aren't guaranteed the puck.

c) there is no real way to "stall" or foul to get the puck/ball back

d) there is some diving but 99% of the time there is a code the players follow.  If hockey were the NBA there would be 8 guys laying on the ice every possession.

the biggest though, is that there is a chance for either team to score in less than 10 seconds the entire game.  there really isn't another game like it.

On 5/26/2024 at 1:10 AM, wood said:

I'm guessing someone called someone else a cocksucker.

No it was:

- take off, hoser

-no, you take off or I’ll tell dad you drank all his Elsinore  

and then this all ensued. 

the NBA last 4 minutes can be crazy but hockey is so different because
a) there can be nothing going on and then bam some puck luck or crazy shot changes everything in an instant.  
b) the action is basically non stop(1TO, limited penalties, etc). you have stoppages for icing but those are like jump balls in NBA so you aren't guaranteed the puck.
c) there is no real way to "stall" or foul to get the puck/ball back
d) there is some diving but 99% of the time there is a code the players follow.  If hockey were the NBA there would be 8 guys laying on the ice every possession.
the biggest though, is that there is a chance for either team to score in less than 10 seconds the entire game.  there really isn't another game like it.

This. Especially d. The respect for the game by the players and everyone else is like no other sport imo. Love that.

Also the players are the toughest sobs on the planet.

Just now, C-Man said:

Distinct possibility

well they do have possibly the best player in the league.  we have a bunch of try hards that do a good job.  we don't have anyone save maybe the kid that puts ANY fear in you.

I'm very good with trading Robertson.  he's a complete non factor even when we play well.

And never looks like he’s giving much effort at all, no urgency to any part of his game.