Why Can't I Quit You, Austin?

texasdago

On 4/27/2024 at 11:55 PM, mchookem said:

if Austin wasn't in Texas, i would have stayed put forever. 

This.

I used to do a thought experiment that was “if I won the lottery and didn’t have to work, where would I live?” And it used to be Austin (and using the executive airport over Bergstrom!)

Now it’s not anywhere in Texas. 

But I still enjoy what we have here. Was out for my anniversary on Friday night at Underdog on South 1st. Food was great, wine was great, company was great (especially without our kids!), and the people watching was great. Then went downtown after for a night cap and went to a few places, did a little tourist-in-your-own-town type of thing. It was awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't quit Austin, in the sense that I really can't leave.  I'm anchored here for many reasons, at least until I retire, which hopefully will be before 65.

First, my career.  My legal network is pretty much confined to Central Texas, and at almost 50 and practicing for over 25 years, it would be really damn hard to relocate to a new city/state and replicate my client base and steady stream of business.  And I actually really love my law firm.

Second, my kids.  My youngest is finishing up seventh grade, and he loves his school, his friends, and this town.  I'm not going to fuck that up for him and move.  Same for my newly-acquired stepdaughter.  And even when the last one leaves the nest, we still want Austin to be a home base as they get through college.

Third, my friends.  Similar to my career, I have over 25 years of adulthood in Austin that has built a pretty spectacular group of close friends, many of whom have showed up in huge ways during the shittiest of times.  Sure, my wife and I would likely make a lot of new friends in a different city.  But it would be damn hard if not impossible to replace the bonds we've built here.

Fourth, my parents.  They lived on the other side of the country as their parents, and as a result, didn't see much of them in their last couple of decades on earth.  But my folks now live 40 minutes away, and I like being there for them, inviting them over for a nice meal on holidays, and, when they really start fading, caring for them as best I can.  

Is there a lot to bitch about when it comes to Austin, and the State of Texas (climate, politics - #nocloakroom)?  Sure.  Am I sad that the college town I moved to in the mid-1990's looks and feels radically different and so many restaurants, bars, retail establishments, etc. are long gone, and now I look out my downtown office window and I see a bunch of high-rise condos that all look like they were designed by the same lifeless uninspired architect?  You bet.  And do I like to fantasize about moving to a city like Seattle or Asheville, and getting away from the blastfurnace and Texas politics (sorry, just a little bit CR)?  Yeah. 

But, this thread is a nice reminder that there's still a lot to love about this city.  And if I'm stuck here for another 15 years or so, or for the rest of my life, that's not a bad thing, and certainly better than a lot of other options in this state, and even beyond.  I think I'll grab a burger at Crown & Anchor this weekend.  

• Hook 'Em 5

My daughter developed a very typical "this town sucks, I can't wait to leave" attitude towards the end of high school.  She had the chance to go to Chicago with her percussion ensemble and came back very enthusiastic -- "those people were fantastic, they're a lot like you Dad".  (I grew up in the midwest and lived in Chicago a short while.  The earnestness is real.)

Fast forward a year or two, with insane amounts of touring in her rock band, and suddenly her perspective has shifted.  She's seen the shitty side of a lot of cities and now sees Austin as better than most.

For my wife and I, we'd like to leave, but it's hard to imagine any location that checks all the boxes (weather, food, art/music, no oppressive politics).  Hitting 3 of 4 is possible in plenty of places, but something is always lacking (so far).  We'll probably end up much farther from a beach than we'd like and move to Santa Fe or some such with frequent trips to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc.  Maybe Ashville.  

Or, we may just stay in Austin, because on a day to day basis, it's still pretty damn good.

Man, I think we all have the same perspective... I love Austin, I hate where it is located, I want to leave but we're kind of stuck for a while for various reasons.  At least while we're all here, we see the good side of Austin and do our best not to bellyache because Player's or Dry Creek is gone.  Every town changes, every town evolves... some things get better, some things get worse.  We're still in the best city in Texas.  Fight me.  I'll meet you by the diving board and Barton Springs Pool.  I'm the one doing a can opener.

Ah belly flops...

Diving board is one of the best parts of BSP.  So, last summer these two guys were doing some amazing dives and wowing the usual spectator crowd.  Anyway, towards the end, one guy signaled to the other that he was ready to go so they talked about one last dive.  Guy #1 goes and stands in line while Guy #2 waits to the side, by the ladder, with his camera phone.  Anyway, its finally Guy #1's turn.  I'm behind him in line so next up.  He jumps up, gets an amazing amount of air and lands flat and I mean F L A T onto the water with his arms to his side.  

Picture this (below) but coming from about 10 feet in the air and landing straight down on the water.  I cannot describe the sound of him hitting the water and the crowd's reaction.  It was brutal.  I could not even climb up the stairs for a good 30 seconds.  Really hard to describe.  The guy finally came up the ladder looking like he was two tone... red on one side, white on the other.  Unbelievable.

image.png.bbcaaa9fb47f292c9a17ef22a1d0b4f8.png

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

cannonball > can opener

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

preacher seat > cannonball

(prepare your nads)

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Belly flop or GTFO.

I was always more of a Nestea Plunge guy myself...that momentary feeling of falling while looking up into the sky was euphoric.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wife & I did a loop on the hike & bike trail.  Got a little steamy by noon.  (The weather, not us.)

We went to Guero's afterwards to grab a bite and it is full on summer

It only opened in 2020 (or 2021, I think) but Meanwhile is one of my favorite "something for everyone" places in Austin.  Four food trucks, great beer, other drinks for those who don't want beer, lots of shade, a soccer pitch for the kids, playground and a big stage for live music and a massive TV.  Parking can be a bitch but its worth it.

https://www.meanwhilebeer.com/

Go check out a show or something... https://www.meanwhilebeer.com/events

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, texasdago said:

It only opened in 2020 (or 2021, I think) but Meanwhile is one of my favorite "something for everyone" places in Austin.  Four food trucks, great beer, other drinks for those who don't want beer, lots of shade, a soccer pitch for the kids, playground and a big stage for live music and a massive TV.  Parking can be a bitch but its worth it.

https://www.meanwhilebeer.com/

Go check out a show or something... https://www.meanwhilebeer.com/events

Thanks for posting.  Meanwhile is one of my current favorite IPA's.  Not as turbo-hopped as some of the others.  I live on the other side of town (NW . . . yeah, username and whatever), so it's a bit of a haul for me, but I might check it out this summer.

24 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Thanks for posting.  Meanwhile is one of my current favorite IPA's.  Not as turbo-hopped as some of the others.  I live on the other side of town (NW . . . yeah, username and whatever), so it's a bit of a haul for me, but I might check it out this summer.

If you haven't been, yet, its worthwhile.  Has a nice indoor space today when it is broiling outside.

Posted (edited)

Anyone know where you can find a good map showing all parkland, conservation easement land, watershed land, etc in Travis County?  

This is old - looks like 2006 - https://www2.traviscountytx.gov/citizens_bond_committee/pdfs/Maps/Travis County GreenPrint Map.pdf

I've found this but it shows only Balcones Canyonlands land - https://traviscountytx.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d8b33239c2af46ab81442a1941e518eb

Doesn't show watershed land, conservation easement, etc.  

This seems to be the closest option - you just zoom in - https://site.tplgis.org/NCED/planningapp/

I will say that the Travis County / Greater Austin's efforts towards conservation are really impressive compared to other cities in the state.

image.thumb.png.8f4fe121b84a7f0c3f4970b1769b3dae.png

Feels like the greatest concentration of conservation efforts to keep us from losing valuable wildlands.  

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2024 at 5:56 AM, hornian said:

This.

I used to do a thought experiment that was “if I won the lottery and didn’t have to work, where would I live?” And it used to be Austin (and using the executive airport over Bergstrom!)

Now it’s not anywhere in Texas. 

But I still enjoy what we have here. Was out for my anniversary on Friday night at Underdog on South 1st. Food was great, wine was great, company was great (especially without our kids!), and the people watching was great. Then went downtown after for a night cap and went to a few places, did a little tourist-in-your-own-town type of thing. It was awesome. 

Austin is special to me.  Texas football, great food, great people it's my home.  I've thought about coming back, but the weather, and outside of about a fifteen mile radius, I feel Texas is too conservative for me.  Still, I've thought about moving back to be closer to family and some friends.  There's really nothing like Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 9:44 AM, utee94 said:

I love the idea of this thread, @texasdago.  Hopefully it can stay clean. :)

How 'bout:

image.png.574ef12eeac8d5c9efe18186f938ebe1.png

And

image.png.738fa7effcb990e54397c58ed8bc4b9b.png

Anytime someone visiting NYC asks me about visiting Texas I tell them the first stop needs to be Austin and Barton Springs pool. What a relaxing place to hangout at and enjoy a hot spring or summer day.

Edited by UpperWestside

12 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Anytime someone visiting NYC asks me about visiting Texas I tell them the first stop needs to be Austin and Barton Springs pool. What a relaxing place to hangout at and enjoy a hot spring or summer day.

Thinking back to last year when it was 100-something or other and I was at BSP with the family... just hanging out, enjoying a midweek evening swim.  Anyway, we're in line for the diving board and we start talking to these two Irish guys who were passing through the city.  The couldn't stop talking about the pool and how much they loved it.  Its really the best... can't visit Austin without going there on a hot summer day.   Nothing like it.  

My son took our visiting Brit friend to BSP then to Deep Eddy. 
He said DE was just another pool, but BSP was a big highlight for his stay here. 
He wants to go back when he’s here over Thanksgiving.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My son took our visiting Brit friend to BSP then to Deep Eddy. 
He said DE was just another pool, but BSP was a big highlight for his stay here. 
He wants to go back when he’s here over Thanksgiving.

Agreed.  Deep Eddy is essentially a cold pool which serves a purpose but BSP is special.  

I like Deep Eddy Pool because it’s walkable to Deep Eddy Cabaret. We used to go with another couple and our kids and it was great to sneak off with my buddy every hour or so for a round or two. Then the ladies would do the same at Pool Burger. 

BSP is great too though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’ve never understood the love for deep eddy. 

It's cold.  Not warm soup like most of the smaller pools.  I grew up near Patterson park.  That pool was a piece of work in the summer.  There was a nature preserve place nearby that had summer camps I went to as a kid so we'd cool off in the pool after they hiked us around all day in the heat.  They had this one crow that was "interned" at the camp because it stole everything shiny the swimmers had.  Keys.  Sunglasses.  You name it.  Can you imagine how pissed you'd be if a GD bird stole your car keys!  The bird was either going to be euthanized or kept at the center FT.  I think his name was "Paco"?  

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2024 at 8:31 AM, texasdago said:

Thinking back to last year when it was 100-something or other and I was at BSP with the family... just hanging out, enjoying a midweek evening swim.  Anyway, we're in line for the diving board and we start talking to these two Irish guys who were passing through the city.  The couldn't stop talking about the pool and how much they loved it.  Its really the best... can't visit Austin without going there on a hot summer day.   Nothing like it.  

Or those psychopaths that polar plunge in it new years day.  Nope.....