Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)

Royalfan5

46 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

The first stuff was just stalling in NE this morning, I got .20 but my coworker that lives 20 miles north got 6.60 overnight. 

That's more rain than we had all of last year in one shot.

Posted (edited)

Local schools are letting out early due to the weather threat.  Probably more of a function of not having to use many snow days in our near non-existent winter, but still catches your attention.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Local schools are letting out early due to the weather threat.  Probably more of a function of not having to use many snow days in our near non-existent winter, but still catches your attention.

No need to concentrate the kids even if the schools are pretty well built. Was it this time of year when Parkersburg got drilled? I remember the school getting smoked in that one. 

Edited by Royalfan5

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

No need to concentrate the kids even if the schools are pretty well built. Was it this time of year when Parkersburg got drilled? I remember the school getting smoked in that one. 

Yes.  Memorial Day week is a notorious window for F5s throughout tornado alley.  Moore, Joplin, and Parkersburg were all within a 5 day window on the annual calendar.

Funny story about Parkersburg.  My in-laws have a boat slip on the Mississippi in Prairie Du Chien, WI and their slip neighbors are a couple from Parkersburg.  The first time we met them I asked "did you guys come out of the tornado ok?" and the wife goes "FUCK NO" and I respond, "sorry to hear that.  Can't imagine what it's like to lose your house".  She goes "no, we got spared.  I wanted a new fuckin' house like the rest of town!".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

The Hallam NE tornado in 2004 was right around Memorial Day too now that I think it, and destroyed a small town and a good sized consolidated suburban school but would have been way worse if the path had shifted just a bit north or south. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sounds like Greenfield, IA just got wiped off the map.  F4-5 potential based on some early indicators.

If I’ve learned anything tornados love to hit towns with Green in the name hard in tornado alley. Hopefully it can wrap up, unless a guy with good insurance who wants out of the hog business can sacrifice some empty barns to it 

Edited by Royalfan5

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yes.  Memorial Day week is a notorious window for F5s throughout tornado alley.  Moore, Joplin, and Parkersburg were all within a 5 day window on the annual calendar.

Funny story about Parkersburg.  My in-laws have a boat slip on the Mississippi in Prairie Du Chien, WI and their slip neighbors are a couple from Parkersburg.  The first time we met them I asked "did you guys come out of the tornado ok?" and the wife goes "FUCK NO" and I respond, "sorry to hear that.  Can't imagine what it's like to lose your house".  She goes "no, we got spared.  I wanted a new fuckin' house like the rest of town!".

Prairie Du Chien. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Used to visit Villa Louis on the reg (they offered classes on cooking on a wood stove) and loved the Ft. Crawford museum there. (the story about the doctor who treated the man with a window in his stomach was memorable) Pretty area with a lot of history.

Stay safe!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Txangel9910 said:
2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sounds like Greenfield, IA just got wiped off the map.  F4-5 potential based on some early indicators.

It looked like a walking person with the multiple vortices....scary

Yup. Dunno if it's correct or not, but my impression was that multiple vortices usually indicate a EF4- to 5-strength tornado.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Some of that footage just seems unreal.

Yeah, the new angles provided by drones (how in the hell is it flying in those winds?), along with the high-resolution imaging, just make it seem, like you said, unreal.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, the new angles provided by drones (how in the hell is it flying in those winds?), along with the high-resolution imaging, just make it seem, like you said, unreal.

I have a small drone I use on the farm to scout problem areas and take pictures of the farms for landowners.  That kind of wind would have bitch slapped it straight to the ground.

The strom chasing drones must be closer to the one we have on our fire department which is much larger and heavier, but I've never piloted that in mega-winds either.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Prairie Du Chien. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Used to visit Villa Louis on the reg (they offered classes on cooking on a wood stove) and loved the Ft. Crawford museum there. (the story about the doctor who treated the man with a window in his stomach was memorable) Pretty area with a lot of history.

Stay safe!

Yeah it is.  I live about 60 miles west and a little north of there, and really enjoy being down there for summer weekends.  Lots of fun bars, biking and hiking trails, and just cruising the Mississippi under the bluffs is always a good time.  This little corner of the world is one of America's best kept secrets.

"We're in it!  We're in the tornado!  What do I do?"

Not to diminish the power of a tornado, but oh, I don't know, maybe stop driving once you see shit flying horizontally across the road and back up?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

NWA got hit hard last night. Lot of folks in Bentonville for Bikefest, the grounds of which got obliterated by the storm (tents, exhibits, etc.). They’ve canceled the rest of the weekend and asked folks to leave (or just stay to help clean up).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Damn that bucees is less than a mile from both my mom and my sister's house

My mom just told me the tornado passed between her house and my sisters house. They live about 10 miles apart.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Been through there plenty of times (once every year or two), they have an amazing gun museum there (worth going through if you’re even an hour away), and a ton of Will Rogers stuff.

Home of the Will Rogers Memorial. Claremore is a great town, thankfully the damage wasn’t worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1