Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Except nobody actually believes that struggling financially is ALWAYS due to acting irresponsibly. Speaking of straw men, she totally slayed that one. 

44 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Of course.  But anyone by following those steps can not be poor.  

Do those steps and have bad luck, maybe you’re struggling some.  But less than you would if you didnt follow those steps. 

Follow those steps and teach your kids to do the same with some luck and you could get rich.  Or your kids could. 

The other option is just to make shitty choices and vote for politicians who tell you that you’re not at fault. 

I was assured that nobody believed this. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

It's not true. The greatest predictor of financial security in this country is who your parents are. Not what you do or the decisions you make.

It's luck more than anything.

We are talking about two different things.  I’m talking about not being poor.  Which any healthy American can do if they make the right choices.  You’re talking about financial success.  Which most of the time will take a generation or two from not being poor.  

My great grandfather came from nothing. But he worked hard, made good decisions and wasn’t poor.  Had two sons.  One a doctor who died with a 9 figure estate.  Another was my granddad who built a company from scratch into one with 20k employees and over $2 billion in annual revenue.   

Any American born healthy that makes the right choices can go from nothing to not poor.  And then it’s on their progeny to see about being a financial success. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

We are talking about two different things.  I’m talking about not being poor.  Which any healthy American can do if they make the right choices.  You’re talking about financial success.  Which most of the time will take a generation or two from not being poor.  

My great grandfather came from nothing. But he worked hard, made good decisions and wasn’t poor.  Had two sons.  One a doctor who died with a 9 figure estate.  Another was my granddad who built a company from scratch into one with 20k employees and over $2 billion in annual revenue.   

Any American born healthy that makes the right choices can go from nothing to not poor.  And then it’s on their progeny to see about being a financial success. 

And any American born healthy who makes the right choices can remain poor. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And any American born healthy who makes the right choices can remain poor. 

Odds are very low if you use my definition of right choices.  Which aren’t asking much.  

Graduate high school

Don’t abuse drugs or booze

Don’t commit felonies

Work at least 40 hours a week

Do not have kids until you can afford them

marry or cohabitate with someone who does all of the above

very few poors in the USA who do those things

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Of course.  But anyone by following those steps can not be poor.  

Do those steps and have bad luck, maybe you’re struggling some.  

You are profoundly and unrepentantly  disconnected from reality.

Odds are very low if you use my definition of right choices.  Which aren’t asking much.  

Graduate high school

Don’t commit felonies

Millions of Americans are not "very few."

You are an enabler.  Whose politics and philosophy harms the people you claim to want to help. 

And your politics and philosophy tells them that it's their fault if they are poor, thus removing any responsibility on your part.

How convenient.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Graduate high school

Don’t commit felonies

define "abuse".

and "cohabitate."

On 5/11/2019 at 8:04 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

(Follow up tweets)

Now I’m going through a huge income transition compared to living off tips (which diff pay every week, very hard).

& I have HEALTH INSURANCE, which now means I have fewer expenses.

According to banks, I’d be more “responsible,” but my character hasn’t changed. Just my math. /3

The myth that bad credit or struggling w bills = irresponsibility is a heinous myth.

Paying people less than what’s needed to live is what’s actually irresponsible.

GDP + costs are rising, wages are not. That doesn’t mean YOU’RE bad. It means working people are set up to fail.

It’s a big part of what makes this Chase tweet so bad.

It’s the idea that if you choose to have any expense beyond mere animalistic survival - an iced coffee, a cab after a 18hr shift on your feet - you deserve suffering, eviction, or skipped medicine. 

You don’t. Nobody does.

D6TbGUzW4AAWsnO?format=jpg&name=medium

US GDP is at an all-time high. As a nation, we are more prosperous than we ever have been.

But that’s simply not the lived truth. Even now, I’m paid similar to a doctor or corporate lawyer - many who‘d think they are “rich,” but it’s nowhere near what we actually mean in policy.

When we say “tax the rich,” we mean nesting-doll yacht rich. For-profit prison rich. Betsy DeVos, student-loan-shark rich.

Trick-the-country-into-war rich. Subsidizing-workforce-w-food-stamps rich.

Because THAT kind of rich is simply not good for society, & it’s like 10 people.

Ultimately, living in a moral society, a good nation, means establishing some basic standards of dignity:

- healthcare as a right

- a living wage

- public education that prepares for civil society + economy (which now shld incl college)

- all people having power in the economy

And in the meantime, as we continue fighting for Medicare for All, a living wage, & more:

Unionize your workplace.

Demand a raise.

And don’t stop until you get one. 💪🏽

Fuck this.  BA in Economics and she's living on tips?  Jhfc

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I was assured that nobody believed this. 

Even Johnny's words which you quote acknowledge that there are cases where struggling financially may not be the result of acting irresponsibly but may be the result of bad luck. I mean, I know you want the gotcha, but come on.  People here can read. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Graduate high school

Don’t commit felonies

This is correct, and it isn’t even that hard given all the resources available. 

I came from a very poor and uneducated family.  Outside of my dad almost no one held a job for any length of time. Many preferred to use the system and sit around watching tv all day.  I broke the cycle when I was the first to graduate high school.  I then finished college and grad school.  The opportunities are there you just have to take a little responsibility.  After me, my little sister and several cousins have followed and we are significantly better off for it.  

Candace Owens said it best when she said “the Dems assume that black people are too stupid to have ID.” 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, SDG said:

This is correct, and it isn’t even that hard given all the resources available. 

I came from a very poor and uneducated family.  Outside of my dad almost no one held a job for any length of time. Many preferred to use the system and sit around watching tv all day.  I broke the cycle when I was the first to graduate high school.  I then finished college and grad school.  The opportunities are there you just have to take a little responsibility.  After me, my little sister and several cousins have followed and we are significantly better off for it.  

Candace Owens said it best when she said “the Dems assume that black people are too stupid to have ID.” 

That is an anecdote. 

Anecdotes make for terrible public policy.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Even Johnny's words which you quote acknowledge that there are cases where struggling financially may not be the result of acting irresponsibly but may be the result of bad luck. I mean, I know you want the gotcha, but come on.  People here can read. 

"Anyone" following his steps will not be poor. And he literally said the poor just need to make better decisions. Seriously, I'm beginning to think that you're the one that cant read. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

AOC is good because AOC is great

owns owns owns

owns owns owns

I'm glad she is my representative in the People's House. I have said before I am not a card carrying Democrat, but I like that she is out there pursuing an aggressive agenda that can help change the lives for the better of so many folks who need it. 

She will always have a legion of detractors thanks to Fox News, but she seems to take it in stride and stays focused. I wish more Democrats would take such aggressive stances for causes they believe in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Graduate high school

Don’t commit felonies

This guy has his fucking finger on the pulse of american life. just ask him. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That is an anecdote. 

Anecdotes make for terrible public policy.

No they just explode your bizarre world of make believe.  Anecdotes often illustrate what the issues truly are.  No education almost guarantees people locked in a cycle of poverty.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It sure as hell isn't local in Texas.

It is in most locales. Not saying it's right, but when you have the highest paid school administrators, and the lowest graduation rates (ex. Richmond, Va.), maybe there's a reason why it stays local in so many places. 

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No they just explode your bizarre world of make believe.  Anecdotes often illustrate what the issues truly are.  No education almost guarantees people locked in a cycle of poverty.

Again, no one said education isn't important. 

11 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Warren will be long gone by then.  She just doesn't want to risk upsetting people by endorsing Bernie.  It's all about what's best for AOC.

Can you translate that into English, because I have no fucking idea what is being said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can you translate that into English, because I have no fucking idea what is being said.

That, as a putative demsoc, there's no reason for her to delay her endorsement of the only demsoc in the field besides careerism.  

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

That, as a putative demsoc, there's no reason for her to delay her endorsement of the only demsoc in the field besides careerism.  

That's the kind of bullshit intra-party garbage that's gonna let Trump win again.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's the kind of bullshit intra-party garbage that's gonna let Trump win again.

I think letting Biden win the nomination would be more likely to let Trump win than having a real primary for the Dem nomination.  Instead of doing nothing AOC could support the candidate with the best shot of beating Biden and the one who allegedly shares her ideology, but AOC gotta AOC.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez