Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

4 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Cry me a fucking river. She craves the attention. She’s not very intelligent and she deserves to be called out on it. Just like Trump does.

Maybe she'll get her own show when she washes out like sarah palin

11 hours ago, happyfunball said:

*heads explode*

this is the kind of thing we need.  there should be some basic principles on which we all can agree that would make this a better place.  this is one of those examples.  Hope they can get it done.  if they would add term limits to it these two would solve untold number of problems we face as a country, most of which is foisted upon us by career politicians who have no idea what it is like in the "real world".  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

If you hear what bar she is going to be at in NY 14, let me know please. Seems like this bartending thing's location is going to be a last second surprise. 

Agh, it’s frustrating they are releasing last minute. I mean I get it but shit, I really want to go Check it all out. Turns out I know (by way of the gf) her district manager (I think that’s her title) so contacting her since when I met her was a wedding and she was a really fun, charming person. Also gonna call the Jackson heights office in a bit to see if they’ll either say where or at least tell me when/how they’ll announce the location. 

this is the kind of thing we need.  there should be some basic principles on which we all can agree that would make this a better place.  this is one of those examples.  Hope they can get it done.  if they would add term limits to it these two would solve untold number of problems we face as a country, most of which is foisted upon us by career politicians who have no idea what it is like in the "real world".  

Totally agree but I’ll bet you $1 million that McConnell will block it from ever reaching the senate floor.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, you know, we could require lobbyists be registered, too.

Maybe she should try that then instead of this idea which is so obviously silly and ineffective that Ted Cruz has latched onto it to market himself.  I don't know, maybe she's interested in pushing this idea for the same careerist reasons as Ted's.  

10 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

It's not "whataboutism".  She and everything she says is held under a microscope, and the amount of scrutiny she receives from the conservative propaganda media in particular is totally disproportionate to the scope of her errors (when she makes them) and to her general importance in Congress.  Of course, a major bit of this is just a tactical long game smear, but as in most GOP PR strategies, they pursue this particular line with her as they know it doesn't take much to convince white males in flyover states that a young Puerto Rican woman is crazy or doesn't have common sense or whatever it is.  They already believe this about all young women and Latina women; no evidence required. If she spouted even one thing as bizarre as one of Trump's crazy old man absurdities that would be embarrassing coming out of the mouth of the crazy uncle no one wants to sit next to at Thanksgiving much less the president, Fox News would explode.

giphy.gif

54 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Agh, it’s frustrating they are releasing last minute. I mean I get it but shit, I really want to go Check it all out. Turns out I know (by way of the gf) her district manager (I think that’s her title) so contacting her since when I met her was a wedding and she was a really fun, charming person. Also gonna call the Jackson heights office in a bit to see if they’ll either say where or at least tell me when/how they’ll announce the location. 

Not sure they will release it at all. I think they want a "whoever happens to be there" situation rather than having a million people waiting in line to get in. 

The dm just got back to us, she said she doesn’t think it is open to the public. Hopefully that isn’t the last word On it, but I think that’d be shitty since it is a fundraiser and she claims to be of the people. So as of now, looks like only rich people will see her serving? Which is a bad optic for a couple reasons but whatever. 

Thinking of where it’ll be, I’m guessing that since it isn’t open to the public she won’t have the balls or doubts rich folk will head to Roosevelt/Northern/Corona since the decor and neighborhoods are a little too ethnic there. And because most of ASTORIA isn’t her district and there isn’t much east of Steinway, I’d wager it’ll be off ditmars since it’s close to the airport with nice gentrified bars or sunnyside/woodside but I don’t know the bars there real well. 

Damn would have been fun to at least see the scene but not a fan of rich folk only invites. Gonna call in a sec so crossing fingers that they change their mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, achooloco said:

The dm just got back to us, she said she doesn’t think it is open to the public. Hopefully that isn’t the last word On it, but I think that’d be shitty since it is a fundraiser and she claims to be of the people. So as of now, looks like only rich people will see her serving? Which is a bad optic for a couple reasons but whatever. 

Thinking of where it’ll be, I’m guessing that since it isn’t open to the public she won’t have the balls or doubts rich folk will head to Roosevelt/Northern/Corona since the decor and neighborhoods are a little too ethnic there. And because most of ASTORIA isn’t her district and there isn’t much east of Steinway, I’d wager it’ll be off ditmars since it’s close to the airport with nice gentrified bars or sunnyside/woodside but I don’t know the bars there real well. 

Damn would have been fun to at least see the scene but not a fan of rich folk only invites. Gonna call in a sec so crossing fingers that they change their mind.

Edit:  As I was typing up my guess, it was announced.  Queensboro restaurant in Jackson Heights.  Today.  Looks like a new restaurant catering to gentrifiers in what is/was a Latino area of Northern Blvd.  As much as she is a person of the people, her core support during the election and now continues to be the people who are doing the displacing rather than those who are being displaced.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

Well I was wrong on the area. But lol at that bar! Lyfted and ubered many times past it, always thought it looked out of place as fuck. Literally looks like the only white bar in an area that has Ecuadorians, Colombians, Peruvians, etc drinking and eating until 5am most nights of the week. Lame. 

• Haha 1

Don't think it will be open to the public, but how could it be really?  It would be a complete shitshow out front and probably still will be anyway.  However, it should have been announced in advance and accessible via lottery only to people who reside in her district.  If the invite list only includes handpicked Brooklyn hipsters, political activists, and city council members, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Oh I agree opening it would be tough and on the lottery. but still personally disappointed since it sounded like it was open to the people. If it’s closed then don’t announce, just have it be a regular rich folk thing and leak the bartending  video later to tmz. 

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I guess the gentrification of AOC has begun.... pity....I like her fire, and spirit.

Huh?  She was always with the gentrifiers.  They are the ones who canvassed for her, won the primary for her, and continue to be active for her.  Keep in mind there were less than 30,000 votes cast in that primary.  Turnout is/was anemic overall and minority turnout was even more anemic.  Hipster activists got out the vote for her while Crowley didn't seem to realize that an election was going on.

The difference between her and the rest, like city council member Jimmy Van Bramer, is that she seems to actually support both the gentrifiers and the gentrified.  Like a representative is supposed to do.  We need a place for both the displacers and the displaced.  When a "starving" artist from the Midwest who can magically afford 3k a month rent moves in, you also need to find a place for the people who have been living there, but can't afford it.  To be sure though, her core constituency is that artist who is living at the edge of or beyond their means and wants more affordability rather than the family who used to live in that artist's apartment, but is now looking at moving to Rockland County or East Stroudsburg, PA.

But her area of Queens is a little different.  It is historically lower middle class and not historically poverty stricken like most of gentrified Brooklyn.  While it is being gentrified, it is being gentrified primarily by people with middle to upper middle class salaries who may want to live in Brooklyn, LIC, or Flushing, but can't afford it.  Most of the affordability problems in her district stem from outward pressure coming from LIC and Flushing.  Neither of which is in her district.  LIC gets a lot of press because it attracts Wall Street people, but Flushing doesn't because it mostly attracts wealthy Chinese people.  But Flushing is booming at almost the same level as LIC and that is resulting in wealthy, but not wealthy enough for Flushing, Chinese people driving up rents in Corona which had been one of the last truly affordable neighborhoods with easy transit access in Queens or Brooklyn.

The Bronx part of her district has entirely different problems that really need more focus than Queens.  Yet she has given most of her attention to Queens precisely because it has hipster activists looking out for it.  The Bronx has nobody.

Edited by FondrenRoad

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Huh?  She was always with the gentrifiers.  They are the ones who canvassed for her, won the primary for her, and continue to be active for her.  Keep in mind there were less than 30,000 votes cast in that primary.  Turnout is/was anemic overall and minority turnout was even more anemic.  Hipster activists got out the vote for her while Crowley didn't seem to realize that an election was going on.

The difference between her and the rest, like city council member Jimmy Van Bramer, is that she seems to actually support both the gentrifiers and the gentrified.  Like a representative is supposed to do.  We need a place for both the displacers and the displaced.  When a "starving" artist from the Midwest who can magically afford 3k a month rent moves in, you also need to find a place for the people who have been living there, but can't afford it.  To be sure though, her core constituency is that artist who is living at the edge of or beyond their means and wants more affordability rather than the family who used to live in that artist's apartment, but is now looking at moving to Rockland County or East Stroudsburg, PA.

But her area of Queens is a little different.  It is historically lower middle class and not historically poverty stricken like most of gentrified Brooklyn.  While it is being gentrified, it is being gentrified primarily by people with middle to upper middle class salaries who may want to live in Brooklyn, LIC, or Flushing, but can't afford it.  Most of the affordability problems in her district stem from outward pressure coming from LIC and Flushing.  Neither of which is in her district.  LIC gets a lot of press because it attracts Wall Street people, but Flushing doesn't because it mostly attracts wealthy Chinese people.  But Flushing is booming at almost the same level as LIC and that is resulting in wealthy, but not wealthy enough for Flushing, Chinese people driving up rents in Corona which had been one of the last truly affordable neighborhoods with easy transit access in Queens or Brooklyn.

The Bronx part of her district has entirely different problems that really need more focus than Queens.  Yet she has given most of her attention to Queens precisely because it has hipster activists looking out for it.  The Bronx has nobody.

14,000 votes to become the face of the Democratic Party. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Oh I agree opening it would be tough and on the lottery. but still personally disappointed since it sounded like it was open to the people. If it’s closed then don’t announce, just have it be a regular rich folk thing and leak the bartending  video later to tmz. 

The other option would be no announcement at all.  Just start bartending for an hour for whoever is at the bar.  By the time someone there virally tweets about it, she will be done and it will have been too late for people to get there from Manhattan.

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

14,000 votes to become the face of the Democratic Party. Lol

16,898 to be exact.  She's only the face of the Democratic Party because the GOP/Fox made that happen because they thought she'd be an anchor.  Instead she became the opposite, and owned Fox and you because she's better at this than y'all are.  For that reason, she should be the face of the Democratic Party that you tried to make her be.  The Dems had been getting destroyed by conservative social media and editorialized programming.  So far, she is the only Dem who can play that game just as well if not better.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Well I was wrong on the area. But lol at that bar! Lyfted and ubered many times past it, always thought it looked out of place as fuck. Literally looks like the only white bar in an area that has Ecuadorians, Colombians, Peruvians, etc drinking and eating until 5am most nights of the week. Lame. 

Hey man.  There is a Denny's over there, you know.  But yeah, that area is one of the bigger Latino bar and club areas in the 5 boros.

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Edit:  As I was typing up my guess, it was announced.  Queensboro restaurant in Jackson Heights.  Today.  Looks like a new restaurant catering to gentrifiers in what is/was a Latino area of Northern Blvd.  As much as she is a person of the people, her core support during the election and now continues to be the people who are doing the displacing rather than those who are being displaced.

https://goo.gl/maps/de8vFDuPNBoQz64S7

microgreens and fried eggs on everything!

edit: not to say it doesn't look good, i'd totally eat this (though i'd want escabeche salet under the milanesa)

2019-05-31-11-26-46.jpg

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

16,898 to be exact.  She's only the face of the Democratic Party because the GOP/Fox made that happen because they thought she'd be an anchor.  Instead she became the opposite, and owned Fox and you because she's better at this than y'all are.  For that reason, she should be the face of the Democratic Party that you tried to make her be.  The Dems had been getting destroyed by conservative social media and editorialized programming.  So far, she is the only Dem who can play that game just as well if not better.

This was a good laugh. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

I dont know if Id call Fox obsessed but they do call her out on all her stupid shit so shes on there a bunch

we might have different definitions of "obsession" if this isn't obsession, then what is?

and i know this is "but trump" but i'm sorry, no conservative or foxnews can EVER say a politician might have misspoken. ever. that ship is sailed forever after they haven't called out trump for every stupid shit and lie he says multiple times a day. 

we might have different definitions of "obsession" if this isn't obsession, then what is?
and i know this is "but trump" but i'm sorry, no conservative or foxnews can EVER say a politician might have misspoken. ever. that ship is sailed forever after they haven't called out trump for every stupid shit and lie he says multiple times a day. 

Haha, “misspoken” yeah okay (jlaw gif) sarah sanders.
Not saying trumps not a bafoon but aoc holds her own

She does make honest errors, she is human. And she has been called out on it by some posters here. But all I’m saying is, we’d have a stronger country if everyone who supported trump was made to defend all the dumbshittery he says. Every. Time. Let all the posters that defend him take their licks after each economically retarded tweet he makes. Same here, if she says some dumb shit, take her to task.

For instance yesterday, I think she has a good ideas and I’d listen to some of them on living wages for service industry people but to go support that idea at the one gentrified bar in the middle of 40-50 Latino bars/restaurants is dumb as fuck. Like approaching sell out, coconut level. She lost points with me for that. I’ll try to check back when she posts stuff but in the end, this thread only exists bc Fox News is obsessed with her. And since I’m not all that invested in what she says bc her power is limited, this isn’t really one of the threads I check that much. Hell, my district is adjacent to hers and her views don’t really affect my area.

So with that in mind, I think the first few posters were right way back in the beginning of the thread that it’s pretty ridiculous that a freshman rep from nyc has any traction on a UT board. To focus on her and not all the dumb shit much more powerful and UT/Texas relevant politicians say is kinda crazy. 

23 minutes ago, achooloco said:

She does make honest errors, she is human. And she has been called out on it by some posters here. But all I’m saying is, we’d have a stronger country if everyone who supported trump was made to defend all the dumbshittery he says. Every. Time. Let all the posters that defend him take their licks after each economically retarded tweet he makes. Same here, if she says some dumb shit, take her to task.

For instance yesterday, I think she has a good ideas and I’d listen to some of them on living wages for service industry people but to go support that idea at the one gentrified bar in the middle of 40-50 Latino bars/restaurants is dumb as fuck. Like approaching sell out, coconut level. She lost points with me for that. I’ll try to check back when she posts stuff but in the end, this thread only exists bc Fox News is obsessed with her. And since I’m not all that invested in what she says bc her power is limited, this isn’t really one of the threads I check that much. Hell, my district is adjacent to hers and her views don’t really affect my area.

So with that in mind, I think the first few posters were right way back in the beginning of the thread that it’s pretty ridiculous that a freshman rep from nyc has any traction on a UT board. To focus on her and not all the dumb shit much more powerful and UT/Texas relevant politicians say is kinda crazy. 

The problem with a “living wage” for the service industry is the economics don’t work. (More so for the employee)

The profit margin is razor thin and a huge amount of restaurants would be forced to close or do part time only labor (and who wants three hour shifts?). Restaurants or bars have limited blocks of money making time. 

Good luck finding help for a three hour lunch shit at $15 a hour. Or $20. It would make the industry even less of a living wage providing job, as it is not sustainable 

bright side would be many more Chili’s and McDonalds

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The problem with a “living wage” for the service industry is the economics don’t work. (More so for the employee)

The profit margin is razor thin and a huge amount of restaurants would be forced to close or do part time only labor (and who wants three hour shifts?). Restaurants or bars have limited blocks of money making time. 

Good luck finding help for a three hour lunch shit at $15 a hour. Or $20. It would make the industry even less of a living wage providing job, as it is not sustainable 

Fair points. So then what’s the next option? Just not pay enough to keep the job? Doesn’t seem sustainable (although your critiques sound reasonable and her option doesn’t seem that sustainable either). 

Raise rates like Australia/nz? How’s that working for them? Not trying to be a dick, just not sure what our options are but I’d hope the politicians take the lesser of two evils, since it seems like there isn’t a good answer either way. 

Sounds like making sure we run all of the Mexicans out of the country is the answer.

I mean, it really doesn’t matter what the question is, “get rid of hardworking brown people” is the answer.

Ive been saying AOC is just a brown PALIN.
I liked that george lopez palin is latina bit. Has a kid and a grand kid the same age? Grown kids still living at home? Trying to live in govt. housing (whitehouse) Latina!

She is a feisty lil thing, bless her heart.

Well if you said it, it must be true!

Amazing how some restaurants here in the US and abroad have managed to do this.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Fair points. So then what’s the next option? Just not pay enough to keep the job? Doesn’t seem sustainable (although your critiques sound reasonable and her option doesn’t seem that sustainable either). 

Raise rates like Australia/nz? How’s that working for them? Not trying to be a dick, just not sure what our options are but I’d hope the politicians take the lesser of two evils, since it seems like there isn’t a good answer either way. 

First to admit I don’t know the answer, but possibly the most important aspect is to acknowledgment that the majority of these jobs are not “careers” and will never be able to support a family of 4. The do offer relatively high hourly pay compared to hours worked, allowing for a lot of free time or a second part time job. (Of course there are exceptions to every rule). 

I only see a few possibilities regardless of the path chosen. This is one industry where you Don’t have the owners making exponentially more than their employees like others  

A drastic option would be to use sales tax on all meals to cover payroll expense to increase the wages of employees while keeping expenditure flat.  I don’t see the city tax collectors getting on board with this  

1. Easiest option is a new reality in prices. Passing on the price increase directly to the consumer and watch what happens to citizen trends on eating out. Hope and pray habits don’t change and carry on. 

Most likely it will be drastically reduced as families won’t be able to justify the significant difference between eating out or eating at home. We lose a bunch of decent flexible jobs, tons of affordable eating options and most of all variety and diversity of options as the already high cost of entry (60% of restaurants don’t reach year 2) becomes exponentially higher. Less individuals will be willing to take on this high cost and the major corporations will step in to replace the mom and pop restaurants as they are better equipped to handle the potential costs. 

2. The other option is purely part time employees while trying to keep demand for your product and maximize your money hours. The problem here is the quality of employee.  Only a small percentage of the potential labor pool will find this arraignment advantageous, and many others will leave the field. Come in from 11-2  go home and then come back from 6-10 please  

Often she talks about these wages while completely ignoring the rising costs for the owner operator on the back end without corresponding increases in revenue.  I’d hate to see the rent and taxes her bar’s owners pay in city taxes and fees.  Take that number and divide it by number of employees and add that to their current wage.  It’s easier to just say pay them more, but without direct government intervention they simply cease to be a viable business.

I believe the dense high cost of living population centers (see downtown ATX) are previewing the model of restaurants to come. The smaller individual places are slowly being run out by taxes or landlords. The affordable options are chain only, and the restaurants have high price point as the only sustainable model (and you damn well better be popular)

Add in forced paid sick time and all of the projections only get worse. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Amazing how some restaurants here in the US and abroad have managed to do this.

Yes, usually family run establishments where they are the owner operator. 

Please list these restaurants in America that can sustain this model and still have a $10 per customer price point?  Corporate owned or fine dining most likely. 

Please list these restaurants in America that can sustain this model and still have a $10 per customer price point?  Corporate owned or fine dining most likely. 

Sounds like we need some really cheap labor.

I wonder where we could find that? Oh wait...these businesses ALREADY found it, because that’s the way the market works? Man, that’s CRAZY!

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I wonder where we could find that? Oh wait...these businesses ALREADY found it, because that’s the way the market works? Man, that’s CRAZY!

Exactly. America’s addiction to tacos won’t be thwarted by the government. The black market will fill the void 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wouldn’t that make illegal labor the only labor?  Because the second you bring it to light it comes with the same cost and regulations as legal labor. 

Or do they pass laws allowing to pay some sets of people less than others? (Citizen vs non?). What countermeasure do you offer to not penalize lower skilled American labor?

a cost of living wage makes more sense than a minimum wage, as long as you are prepared for the blow back from the business that close because they are no longer sustainable. How many $20 Bud Lights do you think she could sell?  

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

You get rid of tipping entirely and raise the price to $12. It works out the same because that $10 per customer price point has always been $12 with tip.

The real change needed to make a no-tip environment successful is in customer psychology.  The consumer is drawn in by and "feels" only the list price and later pays tax and tip on top of that without even thinking much about it. It's similar to the feeling the consumer gets from a $4.99 price tag versus a $5.00 price tag. 

It's all a moot point though because a living wage simply doesn't work without eliminating tips and there are almost zero industry workers who would prefer a higher wage to tips. In actuality, tipping works out more like profit sharing.  A 20% cut of all sales you make minus tipouts is a pretty good deal. Plus it provides an incentive to upsell.  AOC was for sure doing pretty well as a bartender. Better than some retail wage earner or entry level office wage earner. The big difference is that the growth potential for bartender versus an entry level office worker is limited. 

The true people who are getting fucked in the restaurant industry are the cooks who provide nearly all the produced value at nearly minimum wage. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

And some are failing because of it. 

Considering the rates of turnover and closure within the restaurant industry, it would welcome to see how this is parsed in a scholarly article.  

21 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Why is $10 the price point?  The restaurants I heard on NPR hardly sounded like family owned restaurants and why would that exclude them from the model?  Do they get special discounts on supplies that corporate or other private entities do not qualify for?

The under $10 price point (think dinner entrees) is the majority of restaurants/small business in the industry. 

Fine dining makes up about 1.7% of the restaurant population. 

https://www.chd-expert.com/blog/press_release/the-white-tablecloth-segment-chd-expert-evaluates-the-fine-dining-landscape-of-the-united-states/

This is lazy.

You mistyped “this is national policy.”

Seriously. Find me a fucking ill that ISN’T blamed on brown people by our current leadership. If we’d just get rid of em all, we’d be drug-free, crime-free, swimming in all those freed-up tax dollars, living in a modern paradise.

Or...it’s possible...that could all be bullshit used to rile up the rabble, because the easiest political move in the book is to rile up and unite voters AGAINST a “foreign enemy.” Hmm...I wonder if that’s it...

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez