Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The best part about this is that in their FY 2020 budget, the Democrats are offering no wall money and putting it in writing that no money appropriated for border security can be used to build any part of a wall.

The best part is the facts and stories presented in the speech. Shows that the CBP is doing the best they can to keep the population and the people crossing as safe as possible with the resources they have. They don't have enough resources to do their jobs. The cartels are making hundreds of millions in human trafficking. 

The local leadership is fed up, even Democrats.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrat-border-town-mayor-sick-tired-feds-illegal-immigration

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

The best part is the facts and stories presented in the speech. Shows that the CBP is doing the best they can to keep the population and the people crossing as safe as possible with the resources they have. They don't have enough resources to do their jobs. The cartels are making hundreds of millions in human trafficking. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrat-border-town-mayor-sick-tired-feds-illegal-immigration

Human trafficking becomes more lucrative for cartels when it is harder for people to get here via alternative means.

Just now, Zavala said:

A wall in conjunction with border patrols would put a stop to that.

• Like 3

Then maybe the Republican party and the President should actually act in good faith and take a nuanced approach to funding activities that will actually help with border security and immigration instead of making it into political theater by demonizing immigrants and clamoring for WALL!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Donald Trump had two years to do something about it.

He chose not to.

Now he has to work with Democrats. 

He chooses not to.

Just now, Longhornfan1024 said:

Then maybe the Republican party and the President should actually act in good faith and take a nuanced approach to funding activities that will actually help with border security and immigration instead of making it into political theater by demonizing immigrants and clamoring for WALL!

Maybe the democrats should fund whats already there to help these poor people out. Fuck the democrats letting these people living in squalor cause they are against even giving more beds, and more people to help with the influx of people coming to the border.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A wall in conjunction with border patrols would put a stop to that.

Considering the majority of foreign-born human trafficking victims enter the country with visas, how exactly would building and patrolling a wall on our border with Mexico stop that?

Just now, workswithseed said:

Maybe the democrats should fund whats already there to help these poor people out. Fuck the democrats letting these people living in squalor cause they are against even giving more beds, and more people to help with the influx of people coming to the border.

How about giving them a court date and releasing them. Is that too much to ask?

1 hour ago, Gravy Train said:

I'd argue work isn't the primary motive for a significant number of migrants who have yet to settle here. Asylum claims have risen 1,700 percent over the last 10 years due to gang violence and worsening economic conditions in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. Those nations haven't fostered educations or skills that could translate to much useful work here anyhow, making the U.S. just a slightly-nicer destination to continue persecution.

Where does the list of free shit conclude, since they must wait a minimum of 180 days for a work permit from USCIS, assuming their permit for residency passes at all?

I don't think you have a very good concept of just how much low-skilled labor this economy consumes.

Kevin McAleenan testifies at Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the border crisis that an expedited pilot program found that 90 percent of asylum-seekers did not show up for hearings.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6046988206001/#sp=show-clips

900,000 case backlog, with 350,000 of them asylum

90% received removal for not showing up in the recent sample of 7000 cases.

Full vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxnmloul0qE

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

The detention centers they're supposed to be moved to are sitting mostly-empty.

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

The Democrats are actually in favor of that as long as it's done intelligently (and humanely) and isn't tied to WALL! funding (as opposed to wall funding based upon data and expertise).  The problem is that the Republicans are acting in bad faith by lying about the threats imposed by immigrants and requiring that funding include WALL! funding that isn't supported by data simply because they think they can use WALL! to manipulate their ignorant, racist base.  

Edited by Longhornfan1024

Kevin McAleenan testifies at Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the border crisis that an expedited pilot program found that 90 percent of asylum-seekers did not show up for hearings.

Full vid:

Bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Full vid:

Do your homework before you pants yourself further.

On the May 10 edition of Fox News’ America’s Newsroom, Homan referenced congressional testimony that acting Executive Associate ICE Director Nathalie Asher gave two days earlier to comment that “almost nine out of 10” undocumented or asylum-seeking families “aren’t making it to court” for their hearings. However, the figure was only related to a Trump administration pilot program launched in late 2018 to expedite asylum cases; in contrast, per Asher’s testimony, the traditional program for these families “is effective in ensuring that its vetted participants show up to specified hearings” -- with just 27.4% of families failing to appear for their court dates. Multiple studies have also shown that over 90% of asylum-seekers in several categories actually do appear for their court hearings.

• Like 2

Yeah, the DOJ's most recent data puts the lie to that:

Recent data shows that asylum seekers continue to appear for immigration court proceedings at high rates. In fiscal year 2018, Department of Justice (DOJ) figures show that 89 percent of all asylum applicants attended their final court hearing to receive a decision on their application. When families and unaccompanied children have access to legal representation, the rate of compliance with immigration court obligations is nearly 98 percent.

Despite statistics showing that asylum seekers appear in immigration court at high rates, President Trump Administration has repeatedly falsely claimed that only 3 percent of asylum seekers and 2 percent of immigrants attend immigration court. Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen stated that asylum seekers “more than not” fail to appear in immigration court.

I'm sure they've bungled their new program because that's what these morons do, and I'm sure the "sample" he testified about was manipulated to produce the worst numbers they could possibly come up with. They're not interested in addressing the issue, they're interested in creating a crisis.

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Considering the majority of foreign-born human trafficking victims enter the country with visas, how exactly would building and patrolling a wall on our border with Mexico stop that?

Well the wall would reach 45,001 feet so no airplanes can fly over it. #winning

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, the DOJ's most recent data puts the lie to that:

I'm sure they've bungled their new program because that's what these morons do, and I'm sure the "sample" he testified about was manipulated to produce the worst numbers they could possibly come up with. They're not interested in addressing the issue, they're interested in creating a crisis.

This.  The new expedited program is a hot mess - gee, it's shocking that some slapdash bullshit put together by this admin isn't exactly a well-oiled machine.  SHOCKING.

We have an existing program.  It works well.  It needs more judges.  Which could be implemented at a tiny fraction of the cost of WALL!  But Trump and his simpering senate sycophants will only agree to those judges if.....WALL!

No solution -- not one -- can be implemented without giving Trump WALL!  Because he doesn't want a solution.  He wants a monument to his ego.  

There's a lot more white drug users and drug dealers in this country than there are illegal immigrant drug users and drug dealers. To keep law abiding Americans safe we need to round up all of the white people and put them in camps for an indefinite period of time, because that's apparently the proven effective method of combating drug-related criminal activity.

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

Sure, what is the solution?

Sure, what is the solution?

In your mind, being a heartless asshole, there is no solution.

The rest of us had no problem with the way things were before Trump started putting kids in, you know . . . concentration camps.

TL;DR  -- Fuck off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

So when children show up at the border just keep them with the people that brought them? What if they are human traffickers?

Where do we put them all? Keep children with other adults too?

Hundreds of thousands of people trying to come, what happens to them when they show up?

Do all the immigrants coming in legally (or waiting to) get skipped over?

It's a complicated issue, but clearly the crisis cannot be boiled down to "we're seperating families". 

Austin can’t house 3k homeless but this guy can’t believe a 100k arriving a month should be an issue. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Ask the democrats here in Portland how their homeless issue has been solved. 

Obviously it's more humane to them to imprison them in concentration camps forever than to risk them living homeless somewhere in America.

Edited by wildcat09

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Obviously it's more humane to them to imprison them in concentration camps forever than to risk them living homeless someone in America.

Why don't we just bring all the poor and sick to America? You seem to think that America is able to just take in everybody in with no bad consequences. Why do you think that? 

Edited by workswithseed
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Zavala said:

You are saying the Commissioner is lying? 

Man.  This reminds me of my worst cross examination ever (cut me some slack, I was like a 3rd year attorney).  I present my client's story on a particular motion by affidavit -- the affidavit denied him ever having been in Travis County, so venue couldn't be here.  He said all of this in a sworn affidavit (that is, under oath) - he represented all those facts to me, his lawyer, as true.  The other side showed up to testify live.....and completely destroyed his story.  Including photographic evidence of my client and him at recognizable locations in Travis County.

After he proceeds to EVISCERATE my client, his lawyer passes the witness.  I pause.  The judge looks at me, prompting me to get along with any cross.  So, I come up with this BRILLIANT follow-up: "So....are you calling my client a liar?"  "Yes."  Long pause.  Judge looks over the bench..." you about done there, counselor?"  "Yep, I think I am."

Sometimes, the answer to the question of "are you saying so-and-so is lying?" is "YES."  Don't ask it unless you're ready for the fucking truth.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

What if trump had 25 billion dollars all approved and waiting for his signature, but he walked away at the 11th hour because he couldn't stand to help out the DREAMers.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

It's literally on the Statue of Liberty.

download-3.jpg

Statue of Liberty law of the land! Jim Acosta, unbiased CNN reporter himself quoted this one when making a speech at a press conference.

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Scroll up. More than one poster has refuted his nonsense.

I've read the study up to 2017, haven't seen the numbers refuting what the commissioner is stating at this hearing. 

• Fuck You 2

Why don't we just bring all the poor and sick to America? You seem to think that America is able to just take in everybody in with no bad consequences. Why do you think that? 

I'm good with that. We're currently ranked 175th out of 230 countries in the world in terms of population density. The world is about to experience mass migration on an unprecedented scale and we're actually going to be one of the countries not completely fucked by climate change, so like it or not we're going to have to accept a lot more people. If we start getting too full, I'd rather start kicking you dipshit losers out than stop taking refugees in.

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Ask the democrats here in Portland how their homeless issue has been solved. 

Hahaha, so simple. I heard rent control does wonders as well.

If it looks like aggy, walks like aggy, and quacks like aggy...

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez