Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

33 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No they don’t. They incentivize not following the law and process. You have Nancy saying dangerous things like “what is the point of internal immigration enforcement” and Harris saying its America’s obligation to provide for their health care. She told him if you can make it in by any means necessary we won’t send you home. 

No side has the moral high ground on that

Thanks for the laugh, Trumpy 

On 6/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, GSU&UT said:

Holy shit at saying she's doing nothing when she, Omar, and Talib are literally trying to use their power in the House over the congressional budget to not fund emergency bills for CBP and ICE in addition to bringing this issue back to the spotlight like it deserves.

They are doing the exact opposite of nothing, the problem is that they aren't taking some stupid bi-partisan "middle of the road" approach and you don't like it.

A approach that will not work is almost like doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You’re being pretty ignorant about what she’s doing right now.  

AOC is in the process of burying Pelosi’s dead and worthless corpse.  

This is the last House Nancy will ever be the speaker of. 

Then she's doing the lords work.......

She wasn't in the public spotlight during the Obama presidency so we don't have an account of her thoughts then. 

So no, she's not explicitly attacking Obama here, but there are a lot of differences between Obama's immigration policy and what Trump is doing currently. 

I know most of you well-traveled and well-heeled Surlians have been, but having just recently last week visited Auschiwitz I and II and spending a day oscillating between walking/touching the remains of the horror show and having a panic attack, I feel well positioned to respectfully give an opinion:

It's clearly an attempt to emotionally and psychologically manipulate by using the term "concentration camp" knowing that 99.999% of people associate it with the aforementioned and cannot draw an intellectual distinction and associate the word with it's technical definition (and she's not wrong if we were talking about academic definitions). The differences and gulf is so immensely wide that people who want to seriously compare and draw similiarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program and what's going on at the border in 2019 are either very ignorant or not very bright (and I'm not saying that what we are doing at our border today is NOT atrocious). Or, politcally inspired and motivated, which I'm starting to think is mostly the case.

I'm just saying there really isn't a way to sanely compare a systematic initiative to root out and find every existing of a specific race and put them through the best human death factory ever designed and executed (no pun intended) in an effort to erradicate the very last chromosome from the planet with sloppily and unempathically holding a bunch of a specific race in what are essentially jails because they are proactively trying to come into your country as non-citizents because they actually want to live and work next to you.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The differences and gulf is so immensely wide that people who want to seriously compare and draw similiarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program and what's going on at the border in 2019 are either very ignorant or not very bright (and I'm not saying that what we are doing at our border today is NOT atrocious).

Who is doing this?

12 minutes ago, Skyline said:

She wasn't in the public spotlight during the Obama presidency so we don't have an account of her thoughts then. 

So no, she's not explicitly attacking Obama here, but there are a lot of differences between Obama's immigration policy and what Trump is doing currently. 

Exactly. She’d hadn't yet had her brother sign her up for the audition to play a congresswoman. 

Wed have to interview her regulars to see if she was waxing poetic back then. 

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

Who is doing this?

People who are saying what is going on at our border are concentration camps...because-- did you read what I wrote?-- they are trying to tap into an innate comparison to Nazi Germany's concentration camp by using the term and then when called on it doing their best impression of the first line of a valedectorian speech, "um, well, websters dictionary defines concentration camps as..."

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

People who are saying what is going on at our border are concentration camps...because-- did you read what I wrote?

I read what you wrote, which was "people who want to seriously compare and draw similiarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program and what's going on at the border in 2019 are either very ignorant or not very bright."  

I am asking for the name of a person who is seriously comparing and drawing similarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program, that's all.

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

People who are saying what is going on at our border are concentration camps...because-- did you read what I wrote?-- they are trying to tap into an innate comparison to Nazi Germany's concentration camp by using the term and then when called on it doing their best impression of the first line of a valedectorian speech, "um, well, websters dictionary defines concentration camps as..."

No. They are calling them what they are. They are concentration camps. Republicans are trying to compare them to Nazi concentration camps.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No. They are calling them what they are. They are concentration camps. Republicans are trying to compare them to Nazi concentration camps.

Talk about fucking gaslighting.  

Jesus...AOC is directly upthread defending the comparison to Jake Tapper.

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

No, that's not what she's doing. She's calling them what they are. They are concentration camps.

Fuck right off with your definition parsing horseshit.  There is no common delineation between “Nazi    concentration camps” and other concentration camps.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, that's not what she's doing. She's calling them what they are. They are concentration camps.

It's clearly an attempt to emotionally and psychologically manipulate by using the term "concentration camp" knowing that 99.999% of people associate it with the aforementioned and cannot draw an intellectual distinction and associate the word with it's technical definition (and she's not wrong if we were talking about academic definitions). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

It's clearly an attempt to emotionally and psychologically manipulate by using the term "concentration camp" knowing that 99.999% of people associate it with the aforementioned and cannot draw an intellectual distinction and associate the word with it's technical definition (and she's not wrong if we were talking about academic definitions). 

Which is exactly why it's brilliant politics.

21 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I read what you wrote, which was "people who want to seriously compare and draw similiarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program and what's going on at the border in 2019 are either very ignorant or not very bright."  

I am asking for the name of a person who is seriously comparing and drawing similarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program, that's all.

Anyone calling them concentration camps are drawing similiarities to Nazi's concentration camp program; that is the postulate.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Which is exactly why it's brilliant politics.

Oh no, I agree with you there, for sure. I'm just saying, that's what it is; politics and it's effective. You have guys like Hornius Emeritus trying to be coy or play dumb about the connection and ploy, still on this thread, though for some reason.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

They're fucking concentration camps. If they're not, please give me a proper, accepted name for what they are. Because if they're not concentration camps, then we as Americans, have created a newer, equally cruel series of facilities to house marginalized people. Freedom Camps? Will that make you feel better about innocent children dying?

• Like 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

They're fucking concentration camps. If they're not, please give me a proper, accepted name for what they are. Because if they're not concentration camps, then we as Americans, have created a newer, equally cruel series of facilities to house marginalized people. Freedom Camps? Will that make you feel better about innocent children dying?

I'm actually shocked some dumbass right winger hasn't suggested this yet.

20 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

It’s not a stretch to believe that people on the left are referring to these camps as nazi concentration camps when they continuously call republicans Nazis. 

This brings up another quibble that came to me after touring Auschiwitz and thinking about our modern day Republicans and issues as a country: why do we call American's Nazi's instead of making up a more unique word that better describes what's going on? Nazism is a very specific ideology and political party-- you'd think a better political play to villianize and shame what is going on in America is to depart from cartoonish hyberbole (e.g. comparing the border with Nazi concentration camps) and call out by a new name what is going on. Maybe Amerikazi or Republicazi would be two options?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Maybe dentention camp? Similiar to what was going on in Cuba in Miami? How about good old-fashion jails? 

Also, what we have is not equally cruel (as you suggest) to facilities that are commonly known as concentration camps (again, associated with Nazi Germany), even in the slightest. I'm not approaching this as feeling better about innocent people dying or trying to quiet the conscious as children suffer or whatever it is your last sentence dreams up, but more from having actually spent a day walking among and seeing what concentration camps and extermination camps are and more importantly why they existed. 

The camps at the border are in reaction to an event, they aren't a proactive and supporting resource. I'd argue Guantanomo Bay is more of a "Nazi Concnetration Camp" or "concentration camp" to those who want to cloak themselves in plausible deniability about the emotional manipulation of the term, than what's going on at the border. 

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

This brings up another quibble that came to me after touring Auschiwitz and thinking about our modern day Republicans and issues as a country: why do we call American's Nazi's instead of making up a more unique word that better describes what's going on? Nazism is a very specific ideology and political party-- you'd think a better political play to villianize and shame what is going on in America is to depart from cartoonish hyberbole (e.g. comparing the border with Nazi concentration camps) and call out by a new name what is going on. Maybe Amerikazi or Republicazi would be two options?

Combination of shock value and laziness.

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Combination of shock value and laziness.

Maybe I'm just sufficiently enlightened having spent a day at an actual concentration camp and extermination camp and it's just the flip side of the Idoicracy coin to label things that have nothing to do with ethnic cleansing and eugenics in America, "Nazism" and to call jails at the border where you are keeping people you don't want to enter your country, "concentration camps" for manipulated emmotional and political effect. Regardless, just one man's experience and opinion, I'm not saying I have all the answers. I'll let David Dennison be the political mastermind and I'll go back to digging ditches.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

It’s funny how conservatives are all up in arms about “scary semantics” now.

Y’all didn’t seem to give a fuck when your side was hollering about death panels and gun grabs and Jade Helm and Muslim fist bumps and after birth abortions and the Clinton Murder Machine and lord I cannot even list all the hysteria peddled about what gay marriage was going to bring about.

These facilities are concentration camps. And calling them death camps isn’t inaccurate either, considering six children - that we know of - have died in them over the last year.

And I find the outrage over Nazi references hilarious considering the fact that literal Nazis have been emboldened during this administration and have proudly marched and chanted at conservative gatherings and Trump events.

If you’re linking all these horrible things together and feeling defensive about it, maybe there’s a really fucking good reason for that.

None of these things are happening in a vacuum. This is Trump’s America.

• Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez