Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

A hidden lesson in this is how easily AOC manipulated conservative media by saying something borderline provocative and Pelosi see this as a liability instead of an asset. 

AOC’s power via her influence grows and Pelosi’s weakens.  The Democratic Party leadership is slowly shifting to some actual leaders.

Also, we need to get the kids and their families out of the concentration camps.  This is disgusting. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

45 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Nsiap

used especially in reference to camps created by the Nazis in World War II for the internment and persecution of Jews and other prisoners

Especially and exclusively don’t mean the same thing. Should we google those definitions for you too?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Well, it's what they are.

No, they are not and you insult anyone whose relatives were actually in concentration camps during WWII by saying they are.  No one is being worked to death here.  No one is being put in these due to their race or their politics.  No one is having their heads turned into ash trays here.   Everyone that enters a shower here walks out of the shower.  I truly have no idea how anyone can debate this, at least anyone with any knowledge of world history.  Saying these are concentration camps is every bit as stupid as proclaiming the earth is flat.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah this doesn’t sound like a concentration camp at all.

6dd0297afd5397fefb3c9af9ec0b0df5.jpg
98cd7e889c06eab9ba819d10b4744726.jpg
d2c89240cbb35482ace4db9bd6296701.jpg
a82a7468157d365f7c9578ebf22f892a.jpg
4b351b6c67c46e7a25ab35a1a1fba42c.jpg
e24ae82ed9aceefe3deb4795f2dcfade.jpg
13c3cf11af0ba124d43c609fba40a902.jpg
39aede78a4ae321601b7a1e72e888832.jpg
4695f17ebf93cc6b7c37063e0c964b6c.jpg

Maybe these conditions would have been improved if the Democrats in Congress wouldn't keep voting against the funding for these facilities that these facilities have been screaming they need all during this issue.  The Democrats in Congress have the power to end this tomorrow and have had that power since they won the House.  They don't want to end this because it helps them more politically by keeping this in the public eye and trying to put the blame on Trump than it does to actually fix the problem.  

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 2

If you're still arguing semantics, you've already lost the argument. 

"They aren't concentration camps"

"Yes, but you are cramming them in underfunded facilities that are too small, not giving them access to soap or toothbrushes, meager food and they are dying at an alarming rate."

"YES BUT IT ISNT A CONCENTRATION CAMP"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A hidden lesson in this is how easily AOC manipulated conservative media by saying something borderline provocative and Pelosi see this as a liability instead of an asset. 

AOC’s power via her influence grows and Pelosi’s weakens.  The Democratic Party leadership is slowly shifting to some actual leaders.

Also, we need to get the kids and their families out of the concentration camps.  This is disgusting. 

With leaders like AOC who needs enemas?  Don't let me stop you though.  The more the left promotes the idea's that airhead has the more votes Trump will get in 2020.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

If you're still arguing semantics, you've already lost the argument. 

"They aren't concentration camps"

"Yes, but you are cramming them in underfunded facilities that are too small, not giving them access to soap or toothbrushes, meager food and they are dying at an alarming rate."

"YES BUT IT ISNT A CONCENTRATION CAMP"

Yep we should be doing better as a nation to temporarily house these folks (better than our own homeless apparently). The thing is I'll bet a $20 many of them are living in better conditions than the ones they're fleeing from.  Cue the fuck you cabal !!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep we should be doing better as a nation to temporarily house these folks (better than our own homeless apparently). The thing is I'll bet a $20 many of them are living in better conditions than the ones they're fleeing from.  Cue the fuck you cabal !!!

That's really not much of an argument. People seeking asylum are usually leaving very bad circumstances. I don't think the United States should use the conditions of  a lawless, violent state as a standard for detention centers.

"It's awful but at least nobody is trying to kill and rape me" would not be an encouraging yelp review.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's really not much of an argument. People seeking asylum are usually leaving very bad circumstances. I don't think the United States should use the conditions of  a lawless, violent state as a standard for detention centers.

"It's awful but at least nobody is trying to kill and rape me" would not be an encouraging yelp review.

It's not an argument for justifying the conditions they're experiencing at all, it's just a fact.

5 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

No, they are not and you insult anyone whose relatives were actually in concentration camps during WWII by saying they are.  No one is being worked to death here.  No one is being put in these due to their race or their politics.  No one is having their heads turned into ash trays here.   Everyone that enters a shower here walks out of the shower.  I truly have no idea how anyone can debate this, at least anyone with any knowledge of world history.  Saying these are concentration camps is every bit as stupid as proclaiming the earth is flat.

Why are you considering concentration camps a term of art? As in they can only mean one thing?

Honest question, when you write “truly have no idea how anyone can debate this”, then read the DICTIONARY tweet, how do you reconcile the cognitive dissonance? Because there is no debate on the definition, and the flat earth comparison is apt but I’m wondering if you realize, in my opinion, that you are the flat earther in this situation.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Why is forced unsanitary, unamerican housing the only option? What specifically was wrong with the prior approach that makes it worse than the concentration camps now? Seems like it was better since 8 children weren’t killed through our malfeasance, but hey, That’s just me.

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

No, they are not and you insult anyone whose relatives were actually in concentration camps during WWII by saying they are.

Oh please, go fuck yourself.  Imposed vacation time disallows me from elaborating, but let me just reaffirm how much of a shitstain you are.  Go back to your shitty school's website and jack off to your Trump photos with your trisomy brethren.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

No, they are not and you insult anyone whose relatives were actually in concentration camps during WWII by saying they are.  

I don't feel insulted...by him.

I do feel insulted by you.

Kindly fuck off.

person 1 - they're not concentration camps, nobody is being gassed and killed.

person 2 - by the actual definition of concentration camps, that's what these are.  it's possible that the word got misused to describe the atrocities during the holocaust, and now people are just unfamiliar with what things actually mean.

person 1 - well that definition is the one i'm used to, so i stand by my argument.  nobody is being killed.  on purpose.

i feel like i'm seeing/hearing way too much of this argument.  when you find yourself on the side of arguing and defending anything that could possibly be labeled a concentration camp, it might be time to stop and look around.

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

...underprivileged anyway, so this is working out very well for them.  Thanks, Barbara.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Being worked to death is not part of the concentration camp definition. They are being put there because of their race.

They are concentration camps by definition.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

person 1 - they're not concentration camps, nobody is being gassed and killed.

person 2 - by the actual definition of concentration camps, that's what these are.  it's possible that the word got misused to describe the atrocities during the holocaust, and now people are just unfamiliar with what things actually mean.

person 1 - well that definition is the one i'm used to, so i stand by my argument.  nobody is being killed.  on purpose.

i feel like i'm seeing/hearing way too much of this argument.  when you find yourself on the side of arguing and defending anything that could possibly be labeled a concentration camp, it might be time to stop and look around.

There are still people who claim Jessie Smollet is a victim of racism.  Would it be time to stop and look around if you defended the Chicago Police Department against his claims?   If you are trying to win a debate by saying any time some particular word or phrase is used the debate is over then you are losing the debate.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Being worked to death is not part of the concentration camp definition. They are being put there because of their race.

They are not being put there because of their race.  They are being put there because there isn't any place else to put them.  If you put Mexico where Sweden is on a map and put Sweden where Mexico is on a map and Sweden's political and economic structure was the same clusterfuck as Mexico's  and millions of Swedes were overwhelming the border trying to claim political asylum you would still have the same situation and the same problems that have come with it.  Only it would be Swedes in the centers while Mexicans would be making Volvos.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

There are still people who claim Jessie Smollet is a victim of racism.  Would it be time to stop and look around if you defended the Chicago Police Department against his claims?   If you are trying to win a debate by saying any time some particular word or phrase is used the debate is over then you are losing the debate.

When you bring up Smollet in a discussion about the concentration camps on our southern border, the debate is over and you lost.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Maybe these conditions would have been improved if the Democrats in Congress wouldn't keep voting against the funding for these facilities that these facilities have been screaming they need all during this issue.  The Democrats in Congress have the power to end this tomorrow and have had that power since they won the House.  They don't want to end this because it helps them more politically by keeping this in the public eye and trying to put the blame on Trump than it does to actually fix the problem.  

There was a bipartisan bill in 2017 that funded the border to the tune of $25 billion.

Donald Trump rejected it because it gave Dreamers a path to citizenship.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

If we’re still playing the dictionary gotcha game...maybe I’m naive but I’m still thinking they are there because of their immigration status and not because of their race. 

By your definition, if they were being kept at a 5 star hotel and pampered, it would still be a concentration camp because you believe they are being out there because of their race. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we’re still playing the dictionary gotcha game...maybe I’m naive but I’m still thinking they are there because of their immigration status and not because of their race. 

By your definition, if they were being kept at a 5 star hotel and pampered, it would still be a concentration camp because you believe they are being out there because of their race. 

This wouldn't be happening if the thousands coming to the southern border were considered white.

After this week, if Warren and AOC aren’t working in cahoots, they should be. 

Look at how this played out:

Early in the week AOC dismayed the media, mainly conservative media, with the concentration camps rhetoric.  This brought the human rights abuses at the border to the forefront.

Elizabeth Warren doesn’t really weigh in on it during the week but on Friday she releases her plan to ban private prisons.  This caused the stock prices of private prisons to tank.  

I don’t think they planned it that way but they easily could have.   AOC’s ability to drive the right wing media conversation is such a powerful asset.  

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, do you think they put Europeans who get caught overstaying visas in similar camps?

24 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah, do you think they put Europeans who get caught overstaying visas in similar camps?

Does anyone ever get caught overstaying visas?  White Europeans or Africans or Indians or Persians or anyone?

btw in case I’m not being clear, nobody should be detained in conditions anywhere near as poor as what is happening. Shame on us. I’m just not ready to conclude that they are only set up like that because the thousands of people that need processing are brown. I’d lean more towards Stanford prison experiment (which may now be obsolete, idk) in that the jailers see the prisoners as subhuman due to the social and psychological dynamics at play. And the government certainly isn’t efficient or caring enough to intercede. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does anyone ever get caught overstaying visas?  White Europeans or Africans or Indians or Persians or anyone?

btw in case I’m not being clear, nobody should be detained in conditions anywhere near as poor as what is happening. Shame on us. I’m just not ready to conclude that they are only set up like that because the thousands of people that need processing are brown. I’d lean more towards Stanford prison experiment (which may now be obsolete, idk) in that the jailers see the prisoners as subhuman due to the social and psychological dynamics at play. And the government certainly isn’t efficient or caring enough to intercede. 

Yes, people get caught every day overstaying visas.  They go through the typical deportation process.

I agree with the Stanford prison experiment assessment, but what you are missing is that it is intentional.  The primary finding of the experiment was that people behave like animals when they are treated like animals.  If you kick a dog enough, it will eventually bite you.  What the Trump administration wants to do is point at the evil biting dog while ignoring the fact that it only started biting after he kicked the shit out of it.

LEOs and jailers also exacerbate the problem.  They aren't the right people for the job.  These detention centers call for compassionate oversight by people who actually give a shit about people.

• Like 2

But the fact is that more illegal immigration stems from visa overstays than illegal border crossings. In fiscal 2017, for instance, the most recent year for which both metrics are available, the Border Patrol apprehended just over 310,000 undocumented border crossers. But more than 700,000 foreigners overstayed visas (out of a possible 52.7 million people issued temporary visas for tourism, business, education, etc.), according to the Homeland Security Department, and more than 85 percent of them were thought still in the United States at the year’s close.

This hasn’t always been the case. For instance, the government is catching far fewer immigrants at the border today than throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, when apprehension totals regularly eclipsed 1 million. But a 2017 report by the nonpartisan Center for Migration Studies estimates the overstay population has outnumbered border-crossers every year since 2007.

About 4.5 million of the 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States, or 42 percent of the total undocumented population, overstayed visas, according to the report.

Does that answer your question?

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Does that answer your question?

If I’m reading it right, they only process 15% of the 700,000 overstayed visas?  105,000 is a good sized number. I’m assuming they don’t send the black and brown ones to detention facilities like are being discussed in this thread, while quickly deporting the white folks. But assuming is a dangerous game. 

I’m actually surprised that they get as many as they do, I figure there’s not a lot of resources expended. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez