Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

On 6/21/2019 at 7:42 AM, EMAWesome said:

No, they are not and you insult anyone whose relatives were actually in concentration camps during WWII by saying they are.  No one is being worked to death here.  No one is being put in these due to their race or their politics.  No one is having their heads turned into ash trays here.   Everyone that enters a shower here walks out of the shower.  I truly have no idea how anyone can debate this, at least anyone with any knowledge of world history.  Saying these are concentration camps is every bit as stupid as proclaiming the earth is flat.

Not all concentration camps were death camps, you ignorant, racist cunt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Steve King can fuck himself !

when will repubs stop tweeting at AOC ? Her clap back game is elite level 

They don’t know what a clap back is. They get retweeted by the MAGAidiots and the bots and think they are crushing it 

What was wrong with "internment camps" again?  Trump's a fucking wanna-be despotic asshole.  But if we are gonna call shit out, let's remember that waterboarding is torture and that there are still people alive and well that were in "interment" camps which means a sports or affinity-based facility near a body of water that takes place "over a period of time, or intern-ment camp.  

Trump will answer for all of this in due time.  Bush still needs to a large extent.  And FDR needs his ass dug up and hung.  And then remind me what Obama did to shut down Gitmo.  And then we need to talk to Truman.  And then also beat the shit out of Cheney.  

I 100% agree on the GOP tax scam. That money could have been better allocated. She needs to keep hammering that point.

free college is dumb. I’d rather see assistance for those that qualify and can maintain grades. Also needs to apply for trade schools but first trade school tuition needs to be throttled back and regulated. Kids are finishing two year trade schools with Way too much debt. Lot of good trade schools out there pumping out very productive new hires. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

When it comes to how we educate our population in the digital information warfare age,  we probably need wholesale changes to our education system.  

Many college courses should be taught in high schools and higher education should be more specialized IMO. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Also needs to apply for trade schools

Sanders’ plan would make two- and four-year public colleges and universities tuition- and debt-free. Trade schools and apprenticeship programs would be tuition-free, as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/24/bernie-sanders-has-a-plan-to-forgive-all-student-debt.html

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The moment you make it free, schools will start rubber stamping the process to speed up invoicing 

This doesn't make any sense at all.

If anything, making a profit from every student would lead to grade inflation/rubber-stamping because you want to protect the revenue stream.

On 6/20/2019 at 6:36 AM, Mojo Hand said:

The argument was a little more nuanced than that and was apart of an appeal process going back a few years. Seems our government has struggled with these facilities for some time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/why-sarah-fabian-argued-against-giving-kids-toothbrushes/592366/

The government’s “safe and sanitary” argument did not arise from a new case generated by Trump-administration policies. It arose in 1985, during the Reagan administration,

They filed the motion now at issue in 2016, during the Obama administration, arguing that ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and CBP (Customs and Border Protection) were violating the Flores Agreement by, among other things, confining minors in facilities that are not “safe and sanitary.”

It's almost like this issue is more complex than calling people Nazis. I am sure most government employees did not start their career thinking I cannot wait to withhold toothbrushes, dry towels, and soap from children. Yet here we are and have been for awhile. 

It is right and fit to condemn the Trump administration for its argument and its treatment of children. But it’s wrong to think the problem can be cured with a presidential election. Trump will depart; the problem will not depart with him. This administration is merely the latest one to subject immigrant children to abusive conditions. It’s been 35 years since Jenny Flores was strip-searched in an adult facility. Before Sarah Fabian defended concrete floors and bright lights for President Donald Trump, she defended putting kids in solitary confinement for President Barack Obama.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

The argument was a little more nuanced than that and was apart of an appeal process going back a few years. Seems our government has struggled with these facilities for some time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/why-sarah-fabian-argued-against-giving-kids-toothbrushes/592366/

It's almost like this issue is more complex than calling people Nazis. I am sure most government employees did not start their career thinking I cannot wait to withhold toothbrushes, dry towels, and soap from children. Yet here we are and have been for awhile. 

What nuance undercuts anything in the tweet you quoted?   I read the article you link earlier today, and I notice you skipped over this part in your quotes, which goes precisely to the current uproar:

And even though the litigation began under the Obama administration, it was the Trump administration that elected to bring this appeal and ask the court to bless these inhumane conditions as “safe and sanitary.” That’s an extremely aggressive legal argument, and one that suggests that the disturbing conditions being reported at confinement centers are intentional, not a sign of mere neglect.

• Like 1

Perhaps it comes from the revelation (to me at least) that the Trump administration is continuing the status quo. Perhaps our other twitter warrior, AOC, should look to change the systemic issues that have plagued our border facilities. Maybe sponsor or cosponsor a bill providing budgetary considerations to resolve these shortcomings. Or she can tweet some more about it causing outrage over words that won't solve anything.

The border is simply another political tool used to fire up the respective bases. AOC or anyone else could give a shit. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Perhaps it comes from the revelation (to me at least) that the Trump administration is continuing the status quo. Perhaps our other twitter warrior, AOC, should look to change the systemic issues that have plagued our border facilities. Maybe sponsor or cosponsor a bill providing budgetary considerations to resolve these shortcomings. Or she can tweet some more about it causing outrage over words that won't solve anything.

The border is simply another political tool used to fire up the respective bases. AOC or anyone else could give a shit. 

LOL, pretty sure AOC, like me, would gladly prefer 1000 immigrants over 1 trump supporter. They do give a shit, you're BUT OBAMA doesn't absolve anyone of the issue. They used it then, even though it wasn't to anywhere near the same degree, and they shouldn't have. AOC hasn't specifically gone out of her way to praise the way Obama's admin handle immigration, you're trying to obfuscate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

LOL, pretty sure AOC, like me, would gladly prefer 1000 immigrants over 1 trump supporter.

Hell yes.  Give me 1,000 immigrants and I get to ship one of the mouth-breathers south of the border?  It's a net gain.  At least the immigrants fucking work.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Except the Trump administration isn't merely continuing the status quo.   It's taking the worst abuses and neglect of previous administrations, intentionally ratcheting up their cruelty, and making them part of a broad, high-level strategy to punish refugees and immigrant children with horrible conditions. 

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can simultaneously believe that Obama was a no-borders amnesty, catch-and-release pushover who Trump is finally cleaning up after, on the one hand, and that all of Trump's big mean immigration policies are just continuations of what Obama was doing, on the other. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

LOL, pretty sure AOC, like me, would gladly prefer 1000 immigrants over 1 trump supporter. They do give a shit, you're BUT OBAMA doesn't absolve anyone of the issue. They used it then, even though it wasn't to anywhere near the same degree, and they shouldn't have. AOC hasn't specifically gone out of her way to praise the way Obama's admin handle immigration, you're trying to obfuscate.

The BUT OBAMA retort is tiresome. Reasonably sure this issue precedes Obama's tenure as well. 

Where have I tried to absolve the issue? Merely making an argument that AOC's tactics are solely for political gamesmanship. She is in Congress and actually can make a difference but instead chooses to ratchet up the shock value (as if it needed any more) and further entrench two sides who already think the worse of each other.

• Fuck You 1

Why does AOC get so much more scrutiny from the right for her perceived shortcomings as a political animal when guys like Lindsey Graham get a permanent pass?  Gosh, it's just so hard to figure out.  Somebody help me here.  </Telegraph_it>

• Like 5

Holy shit at saying she's doing nothing when she, Omar, and Talib are literally trying to use their power in the House over the congressional budget to not fund emergency bills for CBP and ICE in addition to bringing this issue back to the spotlight like it deserves.

They are doing the exact opposite of nothing, the problem is that they aren't taking some stupid bi-partisan "middle of the road" approach and you don't like it.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

When it comes to how we educate our population in the digital information warfare age,  we probably need wholesale changes to our education system.  

Many college courses should be taught in high schools and higher education should be more specialized IMO. 

Nah, we need to bring back cursive writing classes

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez