Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretty much. While I support their right to peacefully protest, doing much more harm than good is pretty much known going in. But foresight is not a strength in those circles.

• Hook 'Em 5

59 minutes ago, Captainant said:

from the article

but the charge and defendant were dismissed from the case after it was determined the group isn’t an organized legal entity subject to being sued.

With three named defendants defaulting in the case, and one settling out of court, a jury found the two remaining defendants, John Hacker and Elizabeth Richter, not liable for the attacks on Ngo. 

The case was dismissed because the court ruled you can't sue "Antifa".  which I will leave to the lawyers to discuss.

3 name assailants didn't show up, with no legal consequence.

1 settled with Ngo.

2 found not liable.

So not exactly a vindication of the people who are on video chasing and assaulting Ngo.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

from the article

The case was dismissed because the court ruled you can't sue "Antifa".  which I will leave to the lawyers to discuss.

3 name assailants didn't show up, with no legal consequence.

1 settled with Ngo.

2 found not liable.

So not exactly a vindication of the people who are on video chasing and assaulting Ngo.  

Your insistence on fellating a wannabe brown shirt is noted. He is a professional provocateur with a history of overstating and occasionally fabricating all the worst things you deeply believe about auntie-pho

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2021-02-08/andy-ngo-new-book-still-pretends-antifa-real-enemy

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/andy-ngo-right-wing-troll-antifa-877914/

From the Stones article:

In the hours following the mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, which took more than 20 people’s lives, Ngo was instrumental in promoting the conspiracy theory that antifa had played a role; when that was thoroughly debunked, he helped perpetuate the theory that the man behind the Dayton, Ohio shooting was a member of antifa, despite the fact that there is no evidence he was involved in local activism or organizing.

Edited by Captainant

Andy Ngo is quite literally a propagandist for a violent far right gang:

Ben says there are only about 15 core members of Patriot Prayer. It’s the group’s partnerships with other far-right organizations that boost their numbers during major protests.

“It doesn’t matter if you have different beliefs,” Ben says. “The only thing that matters to them is that you hate the left.”

Ben says he mostly “acts like himself” during protests—cracking jokes, fist-bumping protesters, and even subtly promoting liberal ideas with MAGA-hat-wearing members. The only lie he tells is that he’s a conservative.

He spends most of his time befriending people he calls “true believers,” or members who have nothing to gain from their involvement in Patriot Prayer. He contrasts these followers with people like Gibson or fellow Patriot Prayer organizer Haley Adams—two people who use their polished social media platforms to collect online donations from fans.

“I’ve intentionally avoided grifters like Joey and Haley because they are sharper about interacting with strangers like me,” says Ben.

Another person he includes in the “grifter” category: Andy Ngo, a conservative writer who’s built a Twitter persona around filming fights between antifa and right-wing extremists (that, and trying to convince people that hate crime allegations raised by LGBTQ+ Portlanders are simply “hoaxes”).

Ngo tags along with Patriot Prayer during demonstrations, hoping to catch footage of an altercation. Ben says Ngo doesn’t film Patriot Prayer protesters discussing strategies or motives. He only turns his camera on when members of antifa enter the scene.

“There’s an understanding,” he says, “that Patriot Prayer protects him and he protects them.”

Ben says that he paused his livestream to call Cider Riot and warn the staff about Patriot Prayer’s planned visit.

For the next 20 minutes, Ben films as the group loiters a few blocks away from Cider Riot, waiting for Gibson to show up.

As the group waits, they discuss their weaponry. A few men try to guess which way the wind's blowing to avoid getting "spray" in their eyes, presumably when they use it against members of antifa. Another man holds a thick wooden dowel, and practices swinging it like a baseball bat. A woman carries a red brick in her hand. Some don goggles, helmets, and tactical gloves.

"Who's texting Joey?" Someone asks when the group seems to be without a game plan. Another man says, “Tell Joey and them to hurry the fuck up.”

Ben captures someone telling a person on speakerphone, "There's going to be a huge fight," and gives them directions to Cider Riot.

Ngo doesn’t film any of the conversations, and smiles when the group cracks jokes.

“He overheard everything,” Ben recalls, “and said nothing.”

Ngo later posted videos of the violence at that event and framed it as if it had been instigated by leftists. He shouldn't be trusted and it's bullshit to post his edited videos and his commentary on them as some sort of neutral source of information. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

He is a professional provocateur

which i fucking said in my post, you fucking clown.

For years you and Wildcat have literally accused him of making, "kill lists".  Put up or shut up.  Nothing has happened to any of your leftist buddies because Ngo is taking their picture and publishing their arrest photos.  Although the leftists did get the Portland to stop providing  mugshots to the media for a while.

fucking clownworld.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Stop being shitheads. 

no one is checking their fucking twitter sources stop acting like your obscure fucking knowledge of who is a propagandist and is a shit poster in twitter is widely known or followed by everyone. 

keep the discussion focused on the campus events. Stop the extra discussion, this thread cannot handle it because tempers are too high. Stop the ad hominem attacks on each other and focus commentary on the events that are unfolding.  

• Hook 'Em 6

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, immamac said:

no one is checking their fucking twitter sources stop acting like your obscure fucking knowledge of who is a propagandist and is a shit poster in twitter is widely known or followed by everyone

It's a problem when the discussion is being led by musks Twitter algo because that's the only thing some folks are capable of posting in this thread. It's important to point out when people are shitting in the punch bowl. 

If you WANT a good discussion, you should at least be clicking the fucking profile of someone before taking their post and inserting it into the discussion. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Interesting possibility.

I wonder if there’s an equivalent to the Epps guy that got off easy Jan 6th after telling people to go to the Capitol?

Is there some Antifa looking guy who was like, “We should all bring our tents and wear masks!”?

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Captainant said:

It's a problem when the discussion is being led by musks Twitter algo because that's the only thing some folks are capable of posting in this thread. It's important to point out when people are shitting in the punch bowl

Just tell them and move on. We don’t need a whole god damned thread derail or subthread within a thread about it. Regardless of the intent behind the people posting the videos the videos unless that are ai generated or are not from a campus/the national protests then they may be edited to show the worst but that’s just part of it. There aren’t exactly many peaceful images at this time. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)

I'll reiterate my point since this is obviously going to scale more and more on campuses before the end of the semester.  We're seeing now in the mid double-digits in terms of campuses, thousands of arrests, etc.  

There's a lot of nuance to this issue for me, I'm staunchly more pro-Israel than most here, more pro-1A than most here (they think they are, but they're not in practice), many (not most or all) protests have gotten out of hand are in violation of otherwise clear policies/laws.  there does seem to be some bad actors/non-students afoot in many of these situations, that's for another thread derail to unpack as we get more and more solid information), many (not most or all) the law enforcement (be it campus PD up to Staties) are being fucking ridiculous and using this as a chance to rough up smaller people who they know aren't armed.  It's dividing administrations, donors, alums, and students over what has existed for decades on campuses (pro-Palestine/pro-Israeli demonstrations) with nobody getting hurt/arrested.  Hell we had a dozen of 'em over 6 months at UT with almost no issue or disruption to campus life at all.  And finally, there are two parallel sets of protests going on, one about humanitarian violations in Gaza which is futile and annoying, but should be protected (college Presidents or Chancellors don't set IDF policy).  And then one about university divestitures from defense contractor investments.  

Were I the students at UT right now, I'd differentiate myself from all the absurdity at all these other campuses.  Make it about the actual issue and not just a viral arrest video.  Our endowment's 'rails' are set by the Legislature and then implemented by UTIMCO.  You want to actually cast a light on the divestiture protest, be smart, be different.  Go march on the Capitol and on the UTIMCO HQ.  Because most of America thinks you're being crazy right now, and you're not.  But you are misguided and being stomped on and taken advantage of.  And most Americans, even those that went to college, don't understand how this all works.  Pen an article, do an interview, social media blast, and then physically march on these places. 

"UT-Austin" doesn't sit down and stroke checks to Northrop each year to supply the IDF with baby-killing missiles, but that seems to be what you think is happening.  Columbia University in NYC doesn't have a campus office that wires money to Lockheed to build bombers for the IAF. They have legally separated endowment managers/OCIO's that then deploy the money according to guardrails put in place by their Boards (privates) or Legislatures (publics) and then carried out in investment allocations.  Now explaining that isn't as viral as getting pepper sprayed on tiktok, but that's how real world shit gets done.  That's why we have ESG investment parameters, why we put more into conscious capitalism investments, why there are states that mandate a certain percentage of alt.investments go into funds run by managers of color or women.  We worked on this a really long time because there are quality returns to be made while still doing some good, but know how it works and explain it to people instead of putting up tents and being annoying.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'll reiterate my point since this is obviously going to scale more and more on campuses before the end of the semester.  We're seeing now in the mid double-digits in terms of campuses, thousands of arrests, etc.  

There's a lot of nuance to this issue for me, I'm staunchly more pro-Israel than most here, more pro-1A than most here (they think they are, but they're not in practice), many (not most or all) protests have gotten out of hand are in violation of otherwise clear policies/laws.  there does seem to be some bad actors/non-students afoot in many of these situations, that's for another thread derail to unpack as we get more and more solid information), many (not most or all) the law enforcement (be it campus PD up to Staties) are being fucking ridiculous and using this as a chance to rough up smaller people who they know aren't armed.  It's dividing administrations, donors, alums, and students over what has existed for decades on campuses (pro-Palestine/pro-Israeli demonstrations) with nobody getting hurt/arrested.  Hell we had a dozen of 'em over 6 months at UT with almost no issue or disruption to campus life at all.  And finally, there are two parallel sets of protests going on, one about humanitarian violations in Gaza which is futile and annoying, but should be protected (college Presidents or Chancellors don't set IDF policy).  And then one about university divestitures from defense contractor investments.  

Were I the students at UT right now, I'd differentiate myself from all the absurdity at all these other campuses.  Make it about the actual issue and not just a viral arrest video.  Our endowment's 'rails' are set by the Legislature and then implemented by UTIMCO.  You want to actually cast a light on the divestiture protest, be smart, be different.  Go march on the Capitol and on the UTIMCO HQ.  Because most of America thinks you're being crazy right now, and you're not.  But you are misguided and being stomped on and taken advantage of.  And most Americans, even those that went to college, don't understand how this all works.  Pen an article, do an interview, social media blast, and then physically march on these places.  "UT-Austin" doesn't sit down and stroke checks to Northrop each year to supply the IDF with baby-killing missiles but that seems to be what you think is happening.  Columbia University in NYC doesn't have a campus office that wires money to Lockheed to build bombers for the IAF. They have legally separated endowment managers/OCIO's that then deploy the money according to guardrails put in place by their Boards (privates) of Legislatures (publics) and then carried out in investment policy.  Now explaining that isn't as viral as getting pepper sprayed on tiktok, but that's how real world shit gets done.  That's why we have ESG investment parameters, why we put more into conscious capitalism investments, why there are states that mandate a certain percentage of alt.investments go into funds run by managers of color or women.  We worked on this a really long time because there are quality returns to be made while still doing some good, but know how it works and explain it to people instead of putting up tents and being annoying.  

Hacking Blah Blah Blah Blah GIF by Giflytics

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's a problem when the discussion is being led by musks Twitter algo because that's the only thing some folks are capable of posting in this thread. It's important to point out when people are shitting in the punch bowl. 

If you WANT a good discussion, you should at least be clicking the fucking profile of someone before taking their post and inserting it into the discussion. 

Hard to think of a single transaction that will have a bigger impact than Elon’s purchase of Twitter. 

Just now, lucious leftfoot said:

Hard to think of a single transaction that will have a bigger impact than Elon’s purchase of Twitter. 

All fueled by his financial fraud of a pump'n'dump of TSLA and cryptocurrency. Ah, nirvana. 

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Hacking Blah Blah Blah Blah GIF by Giflytics

Well it's a complex topic and stands to reason you don't understand most of it.  In the meantime, for your reading pleasure, may I interest you in this leaflet, "Famous Jewish Sports Legends"? /elaine

Just now, YGIFS said:

Well it's a complex topic and stands to reason you don't understand most of it.  In the meantime, for your reading pleasure, may I interest you in this leaflet, "Famous Jewish Sports Legends"? /elaine

Jay Fiedler FTW

After leading the Dolphins to a 28-20 victory that day, Fiedler,
who last Friday proudly wore a gray JEWISH SPORTS HALL OF FAME
T-shirt in the Miami locker room, heard his teammates kvelling
about his guts.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

All fueled by his financial fraud of a pump'n'dump of TSLA and cryptocurrency. Ah, nirvana. 

You’re right. A total sham company. I’ve heard he’s also a terrible businessman. Several people here know better than him. 

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Captain=Looch

IMG-0663.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Kristallnacht continues on

People who like to compare much less serious events to things like Kristallnacht or the Holocaust tend to do so in an attempt to persuade others that Kristallnacht, the Holocaust, or whatever else they're comparing a current event to wasn't as bad as most believe that it was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

I like it.  But if the artist had their collars popped, it would have won a Pulitzer.  Now it's just gonna lost in the shuffle of history.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Attempts to de-escalate at Northwestern, Brown, and Johns Hopkins through negotiations.

https://apnews.com/article/northwestern-students-israel-palestinians-protest-c3698198f13c986d6bc238ff96081f9d

Northwestern University administration agreed to form "a new advisory committee on university investments and other commitments."

On campus Tuesday, two unoccupied tents remained, surrounded by abandoned folding chairs, cases of bottled water and other supplies.

Some who are protesting the war in Gaza condemned the agreement as a failure to stick to the original demands of student organizers. Some supporters of Israel said the deal represented “cowardly” capitulation to protesters.

The harsh response and escalated protests elsewhere Tuesday suggest that the agreement at Northwestern is unlikely to spur similar deals, even if it quickly stalled protest activity in Evanston.

The agreement lets protests continue through June 1 but bars all tents except one for aid supplies. It also prevents people without ties to Northwestern from participating and requires school permission to use loudspeakers or similar devices, according to copies made public by the school and the student organizers.

Northwestern’s statement said it would enforce the deal, which includes possible penalties for students who did not comply, like suspension.

“This agreement represents a sustainable and de-escalated path forward, and enhances the safety of all members of the Northwestern community while providing space for free expression that complies with University rules and policies,” said a statement attributed to President Michael Schill, Provost Kathleen Hagerty and Vice President for Student Affairs Susan Davis.

The American Jewish Committee and the Anti-Defamation League Midwest were among critics of the Northwestern administrators, arguing that the deal “succumbed to the demands of a mob” and did little to make Jewish students on campus feel more secure.

Brown University on Tuesday became the second school to announce a deal aiming to end student protests.

Administrators and student organizers of the protest on the campus in Providence, Rhode Island said President Christina Paxson had committed to an October vote by the school’s governing board on the students’ divestment proposal. Protest organizers said they would end demonstrations by late Tuesday.

In Baltimore, leaders of Johns Hopkins University announced Tuesday morning that they had reached an agreement with student protesters who had started setting up an encampment Monday evening. After several hours of discussion, they said, the students agreed to clear the encampment and resume protesting only during daytime hours.

“Our conversations were frank and constructive,” university President Ron Daniels and Provost Ray Jayawardhana wrote in a message to the school community. “We are immensely relieved at this peaceful and productive resolution.”

But protesters with the group Hopkins Justice Collective released statements saying their demonstration continued through the night and wouldn’t end “until demands are met.”

“We are not letting Johns Hopkins shut down our encampment,” they wrote in a social media post. “We are still here.”

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

Just tell them and move on. We don’t need a whole god damned thread derail or subthread within a thread about it. Regardless of the intent behind the people posting the videos the videos unless that are ai generated or are not from a campus/the national protests then they may be edited to show the worst but that’s just part of it. There aren’t exactly many peaceful images at this time. 

Everyone should practice some good info hygiene around this, just as much as GWU protesters are admonished to wash their pits. 

The anger and demonstrations are legitimate and organic but that does not mean that elements embedded within them are all organic and that all the contours of what happens are shaped by good actors.  

People would do well to ponder who benefits from seeing Americans hit each other and who might be inciting and encouraging students to risk their futures to break into, vandalize and occupy a campus building. It’s very possible none of them give a shit about Israel, Palestine, or (what’s good for) the United States. The fact that all the people involved are online, dumb, and angry makes this easy. 

Russian intelligence successfully mobilized two dueling protests over culture war bullshit in Texas a few years back. That is pretty much recognized as a proof of concept run. Something to think about before mashing share. Again, I am not saying the students or even organizers are tools of a foreign power but I’m also not saying students and organizers have a good handle on whom they are welcoming to take part and help out. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/11/01/russian-facebook-page-organized-protest-texas-different-russian-page-l/

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

Stop being shitheads. 

no one is checking their fucking twitter sources stop acting like your obscure fucking knowledge of who is a propagandist and is a shit poster in twitter is widely known or followed by everyone. 

keep the discussion focused on the campus events. Stop the extra discussion, this thread cannot handle it because tempers are too high. Stop the ad hominem attacks on each other and focus commentary on the events that are unfolding.  

YEAH!  What is this, the CR?  Behave yourselves you bunch of whiny cunts.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Everyone should practice some good info hygiene around this, just as much as GWU protesters are admonished to wash their pits. 

"Have you seen them?  You know what I'm talking about.  Them GWU girls.  With them flat booties and the stink.  They need to wash they ass." /jonhammAsRedfox

I don't know about the rest of the campuses around the country involved with this shit and I'm no tinfoil conspiracy theorist.  I got enough weird shit rolling around my head without having to get onto the dark web.  But from my in-person experience on campus many times these past few weeks, there is absolutely something afoul from outside the student body/faculty/administration.  But then I watched some tremendous leadership telling the media that there's no way Putin would ever do anything to meddle in America's affairs or politics, and frankly I believe him.   

Why would you infiltrate and disrupt and internally divide America for a few million bucks in software and coders when you can spend hundreds of billions on military hardware that only brought us closer together as a country way back when?  

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The anger and demonstrations are legitimate and organic but that does not mean that elements embedded within them are all organic and that all the contours of what happens are shaped by good actors.  

People would do well to ponder who benefits from seeing Americans hit each other and who might be inciting and encouraging students to risk their futures to break into, vandalize and occupy a campus building. It’s very possible none of them give a shit about Israel, Palestine, or (what’s good for) the United States. The fact that all the people involved are online, dumb, and angry makes this easy. 

Russian intelligence successfully mobilized two dueling protests over culture war bullshit in Texas a few years back. That is pretty much recognized as a proof of concept run. Something to think about before mashing share. Again, I am not saying the students or even organizers are tools of a foreign power but I’m also not saying students and organizers have a good handle on whom they are welcoming to take part and help out. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/11/01/russian-facebook-page-organized-protest-texas-different-russian-page-l/

This.  The anger and outreach is organic, this violent escalatory shit doesn't seem to be.  Most certainly there are bad actors embedded in these from all aspects of the political spectrum.  I'm looking at you Lisa Fithian...

18 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

These are not serious people.

“You will not find it difficult to prove that battles, campaigns, and even wars have been won or lost primarily because of logistics.”

– General Dwight D. Eisenhower, USA.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

“You will not find it difficult to prove that battles, campaigns, and even wars have been won or lost primarily because of logistics.”

– General Dwight D. Eisenhower, USA.

A protest marches on it's stomach?

18 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm having a hard time believing this person is really a Columbia student. "Obligated to provide food to students who paid for a meal plan" -- seriously she will never get respectable job ever with this floating around the internet.

also...this reply... lol

image.png.561cc19834e5ba43820a62793e3f8754.png

the revolution will not be televised catered.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is DT, leave the CR out of this.....

He can’t help himself. He can’t not respond to a post. He also responds within minutes like he’s a fucking bot. I had to put him on ignore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

He can’t help himself. He can’t not respond to a post. He also responds within minutes like he’s a fucking bot. I had to put him on ignore. 

This thread

This site

7396be97-2bd1-4296-a799-07248cb5f057_tex

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

This thread

This site

7396be97-2bd1-4296-a799-07248cb5f057_tex

It’s overwhelming. The vocal CR minority (majority?) posting here has a lot more in common with protestors than me or the majority of UT alums. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, royiv said:

Honestly, that makes it worse. If you had a scintilla of intellectual curiosity, you would question the things that are being force fed to you by the algorithm. You are voluntarily being radicalized by Elon and you’re lapping it up just like he wants you to. You are the poster boy for the term useful idiot.

I think this is one of the most accurate posts on this topic. And it is really scary how right you are. 

Last week, I had a pretty happy Twitter place. Mostly sports stuff. But all centered around UT, Cowboys, or the Braves. 

the last week has been 99% political. And I don’t generally do Twitter for politics. 

It’s now video after video after video of campus violence or protest.  That’s probably why I got so heated last night. 

algorithms suck. I’d rather scroll past OUsux news than scroll past the campus insanity right now. Mostly because of what @bolverk said about sources and their motivation.  Insta news is not good. I use to think it was. But, you get a 15 second clip and “they” sum it up like it was a 3 day event that was pure chaos. 

9 hours ago, immamac said:

This thread needs to get back on topic. I don't have time to clean it up right now, but this is not a CR thread. This is about the national protests, their developments and the current status of them.

@PRONG HORN your tweets without the commentary are fine so long as the message in the tweet is not politically related/doesn't add political commentary. There is nothing wrong with posting videos of stuff that does not represent the protesters in a positive manner, that's not what this is about. It's about tying that somehow to the election or any political office or candidate. None of that is relevant to this discussion in this thread.

@HotSauce is on a vacation and if they go on another unhinged rant like this thread they are permabanned. 

Sorry boss. I think I derailed it. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Make it about the actual issue

They have been. The problem is that most of the olds on this board (by old I mean anyone over 30) are being spoon-fed by the MSM which has been instructed to cover this only from one side and to show you only a cherrypicked version of what's actually happening or they are being spoon-fed by Elon Musk's far-right algorithm (or Mark Zuckerberg's echo chamber algorithm where deep pockets are paying to put guys like Dan Bongino and Ben Shapiro on the front page).

Watch actual live streams if you want to see the truth.

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread