Henry Cuellar, C’mon Down!

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/03/politics/henry-cuellar-indictment-doj/index.html

Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas and his wife have been charged with accepting nearly $600,000 in bribes from two foreign entities, according to an indictment in federal court in Texas.

The alleged scheme took place from late 2014 through at least November 2021, the indictment says. The Justice Department declined to comment on the indictment, which was first reported by NBC News.

In a statement on Friday, Cuellar said: “I want to be clear that both my wife and I are innocent of these allegations. Everything I have done in Congress has been to serve the people of South Texas.”  Cuellar said in his statement that actions he took in Congress were “in the interest of the American people” and vowed to continue his bid for reelection in November.

In his statement, he suggested his wife, Imelda, was involved. “On top of being an amazing wife and mother, she’s an accomplished businesswoman with two degrees. She spent her career working with banking, tax, and consulting,” Cuellar said. “The allegation that she is anything but qualified and hard working is both wrong and offensive.”

Cuellar also said that before he took any action, he “proactively” sought legal advice from the House Ethics Committee and an opinion from a national law firm, and sought a meeting with federal prosecutors “to explain the facts.”

“The actions I took in Congress were consistent with the actions of many of my colleagues and in the interest of the American people,” Cuellar said. “Furthermore, we requested a meeting with the Washington DC prosecutors to explain the facts and they refused to discuss the case with us or to hear our side.”

Cuellar’s home and campaign office in Laredo, Texas, were raided by the FBI in 2022. The charges against Cuellar are not yet publicly available.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently the laws regarding acting as an unregistered foreign agent either need much more aggressive prosecution or much longer prison sentences or both… and yes, I understand that he’s a legislator and not a lobbyist, but I’m fucking tired of seeing these stories affecting both chambers of Congress, in lobbying firms, and in the executive branch (Paul Manafort, Michael Flynn, many others).

There doesn’t seem to be enough deterrence from doing treasonous things.  

I also think presidential pardon powers need a serious overhaul - like if your friends are getting fabulously wealthy from treasonous acts, you don’t get to pardon them.  

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

C'mon down, Jessica Cisneros, and take the seat you should already be occupying. 

You don’t know Laredo and South Texas. The seat would most likely flip Republican before someone like Jessica Cisneros would ever be elected. Republicans have made historic gains in the RGV and South Texas.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Marry a woman named Imelda, you're gonna be led down a dark path.

Drowning in shoes, absolutely drowning.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

You don’t know Laredo and South Texas. The seat would most likely flip Republican before someone like Jessica Cisneros would ever be elected. Republicans have made historic gains in the RGV and South Texas.

Maybe.  Costing the Dems a much-needed seat in the House.

I DON'T CARE.  Criminals who abuse the public trust with their criming should hang.

Again, see how easy that is?  And see how nobody, not one single person of consequence in the modern GQP, actually believes that?

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe.  Costing the Dems a much-needed seat in the House.

I DON'T CARE.  Criminals who abuse the public trust with their criming should hang.

Again, see how easy that is?  And see how nobody, not one single person of consequence in the modern GQP, actually believes that?

Longhorn Love will be by shortly to tell you how you are not outraged enough and it is tantamount to supporting this person for re-election.   And how if you really cared, you would be locking up Hillary Clinton for using aborted fetus pituitary glands to make her and her Bohemian Grove elites immune from the fake virus they spread around the world.  That was also a real virus.  

• Hook 'Em 3

600k over 7 years for 2 groups to buy a congressman separately? That means you can buy a congressman for just a shade under than 43k a year. Think I might get me one of those…

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

44 minutes ago, Covri said:

600k over 7 years for 2 groups to buy a congressman separately? That means you can buy a congressman for just a shade under than 43k a year. Think I might get me one of those…

Do that transaction with Lauren Boebert -- you'll get multiple handjobs in return, too.  Maximize the value of your transactions, dude.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pelosi and Clyburn rallied for Henry (an anti-choice conservative) against a progressive pro-choice Latina—while knowing he was under Federal investigation. AIPAC spent $2 million to defeat the progressive Latina. 

Centrist dumdums claim it's a conservative district—so they ran a corrupt conservative against a hard-right conservative. Dummies. 

IMG_1101.thumb.jpeg.2cc4e1cd45b432661bdf6451fae6444b.jpeg

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

An Azerbaijani energy company and a Mexican bank walk into a bar...

Well? What's the punchline, this sounds like the best set up to a joke I've heard in weeks (FIFY).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Covri said:

It’s not a surprise that our government can be bought, it’s a surprise just how cheaply it can be done.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

It’s not a surprise that our government can be bought, it’s a surprise just how cheaply it came be done.

Exactly. 50k could get me 500k in business I could otherwise not get and it’s a win-win and likely peanuts compared to the shit that actually happens. Only risk is I’m small enough to be held accountable if caught.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And see how nobody, not one single person of consequence in the modern GQP, actually believes that?

I don't for a second believe you do either.  It's easy to talk shit on the internet.   Or maybe I've missed you calling out Pelosi's 99% ability to time every single trade she makes.  600k? pffft.  She somehow hits the peak on six figure trades several times a year.  I know, her husband is a financier yada yada.  Or maybe she just has the best luck of any trader of all time. 

I don't for a second believe you do either.  It's easy to talk shit on the internet.   Or maybe I've missed you calling out Pelosi's 99% ability to time every single trade she makes.  600k? pffft.  She somehow hits the peak on six figure trades several times a year.  I know, her husband is a financier yada yada.  Or maybe she just has the best luck of any trader of all time. 

I’ve loathed Nancy and her lifetime hold on her office for better than 20 years. Her standing in the way of the POS Trump (and the fact that as much as I don’t like her, she was hyper-competent at her job, I couldn’t argue with that) finally gave me a reason to like something she did.
But she gets no love from me. Hell, I’ve given Lloyd Dogget shit for 35 years; he’s always held public office, yet is a multi millionaire. Hell, he sent me a newsletter touting him being named “the taxpayers best friend”…paid with the franking privilege. I actually called his office and gave them shit about that.
Try again, dude. Some of us think crooks should go.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve loathed Nancy and her lifetime hold on her office for better than 20 years. Her standing in the way of the POS Trump (and the fact that as much as I don’t like her, she was hyper-competent at her job, I couldn’t argue with that) finally gave me a reason to like something she did.
But she gets no love from me. Hell, I’ve given Lloyd Dogget shit for 35 years; he’s always held public office, yet is a multi millionaire. Hell, he sent me a newsletter touting him being named “the taxpayers best friend”…paid with the franking privilege. I actually called his office and gave them shit about that.
Try again, dude. Some of us think crooks should go.

Well, we’ve got a thread for her. And 600k is a ho-hum quarter or two for her trades. See you there!  

Wouldn’t let me edit. 
eta: picking on her because she’s the biggest name.  Captain eyepatch and plenty of Rs on that list as well.   Need some serious reform on enrichment for these stains.  

Cisneros hit him on this 2 years ago in the primary and the runoff.  Hakeem should tell him to fuck off immediately. Cisneros can easily win the district as much as people want this to be a competitive district. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Cisneros hit him on this 2 years ago in the primary and the runoff.  Hakeem should tell him to fuck off immediately. Cisneros can easily win the district as much as people want this to be a competitive district. 

Eh, that district isn't exactly a bastion of liberalism. There was a reason Cuellar leaned to the right.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, F250 said:

Eh, that district isn't exactly a bastion of liberalism. There was a reason Cuellar leaned to the right.

He only won by .6 percent against her.

• Hook 'Em 1