Attempted Assassination of Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Doesn't anyone remember what happened the last time a Balkan head of state was assassinated?

AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT HISTORY?

The Big Lebowski Walter Sobchak GIF by PeacockTV

TIL that Slovakia is in the Balkans, lol

Are you thinking of Slovenia?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Slovakia, Slovenia, whatever it takes.

Damnit. Have to be quick around here. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I feel there is going to be quite the rush to bullshit facts from both sides to tie this dude to the other. 

That is the only thing about this story about which I have 100% certainty.

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That is the only thing about this story about which I have 100% certainty.

I already saw tweets about "his dad was served under sergi something or other from the nkvd!"  Yeah, no shit.  He grew up in a Warsaw Pact country.  Everyone is sprinting to the propaganda machines.  "His 2nd cousin had blue and yellow flowers at his wedding!"

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I'd bet money the GQP somehow finds a way to blame Biden's Ukraine policy.

Anyone what to be against Trump saying, within the next 24 hours, "This wouldn't have happened if I was still president.  I was bigly strong, and these things just didn't happen when I was in charge?"  That would be a dumb, dumb bet.

[Shinzo Abe, rolling over in his grave]

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Anyone what to be against Trump saying, within the next 24 hours, "This wouldn't have happened if I was still president.  I was bigly strong, and these things just didn't happen when I was in charge?"  That would be a dumb, dumb bet.

[Shinzo Abe, rolling over in his grave]

I think you are off base.  It has to be more disconnected than that.  He will tie it not just him being strong, but also to our policies on windmills and keeping court rooms cold.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

i learned geography in an American public high school

i should not be expected to know where things actually are

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Close enough for Bismarck’s quote to count

“one day the great European war will come out of some damned foolish thing in the Balkans."

• Hook 'Em 1

This will have zero to no impact on neighbors, who have relegated Slovakia to embarrassing relative (Czechs, Poles) or playground for autocratic stress tests (Hungary).

Fico is an autocrat at heart and he (he will likely live) will not let the crisis go to waste. His party and Allies are already upping the calls to clamp down on “liberal” media and claiming they fostered the atmosphere of hate. 

The shooter is least important, he is likely to be revealed as disturbed. He has some history of racist writings and potentially unclear endorsement of a defunct paramilitary,  but his recorded statement cited some common “liberal” complaints.  The interesting thing will be how far the government can push this opening to attack the opposition and liberal structures.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This will have zero to no impact on neighbors, who have relegated Slovakia to embarrassing relative (Czechs, Poles) or playground for autocratic stress tests (Hungary).

Fico is an autocrat at heart and he (he will likely live) will not let the crisis go to waste. His party and Allies are already upping the calls to clamp down on “liberal” media and claiming they fostered the atmosphere of hate. 

The shooter is least important, he is likely to be revealed as disturbed. He has some history of racist writings and potentially unclear endorsement of a defunct paramilitary,  but his recorded statement cited some common “liberal” complaints.  The interesting thing will be how far the government can push this opening to attack the opposition and liberal structures.

Honest question.  What drove you to aggy? 

17 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I think you are off base.  It has to be more disconnected than that.  He will tie it not just him being strong, but also to our policies on windmills and keeping court rooms cold.  

Never would have happened if he would have been allowed to trade Puerto Rico for Greenland.

• Haha 1