Bay Area

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

They'll be in San Diego this Wednesday.  Maybe I can get him on the guest list if he'd like to check it out.  Or, there's ABQ tonight, Phoenix Tuesday, a couple of shows in LA soon thereafter and then Vegas.

All kinds of destinations!

That sounds like a pretty awesome tour for your girl.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve spent a fairly significant amount of time there. It’s empty and enshittified. It’s probably still pretty cool for a first timer but if you go often and saw it when it was exceptional it’s kind of just a sad shell of itself now. 

Go do tourist shit. 6th Street, Austin City Limits, craft beer, yadda yadda and tell everyone about your completely inane non unique experience and enjoy the weather and double priced everything. 

Wow. This is a fun game. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

ANYWAY, on to the wine country:  what are the best vineyards to visit?  I'm a red wine guy, wife doesn't drink.  She can drive.  Looking for tastings, setting, hotels, etc.

I like Consentino

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

ANYWAY, on to the wine country:  what are the best vineyards to visit?  I'm a red wine guy, wife doesn't drink.  She can drive.  Looking for tastings, setting, hotels, etc.

When I went to San Fran in 2016 (against immamac’s wishes) I took a day trip to Sonoma. I remember Twomy being a good vineyard. It you’re open to red zin, Seghesio is fantastic and there are some pretty good food spots in Healdsburg.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, South Austin said:

When I went to San Fran in 2016 (against immamac’s wishes) I took a day trip to Sonoma. I remember Twomy being a good vineyard. It you’re open to red zin, Seghesio is fantastic and there are some pretty good food spots in Healdsburg.

No problem with zin whatsover.  I like most varietals -- cab, pinot, whatever.  I'd like to buy a really good bottle or six to bring home.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No problem with zin whatsover.  I like most varietals -- cab, pinot, whatever.  I'd like to buy a really good bottle or six to bring home.

Healdsburg is our favorite wine country town. I recommend Ridge nearby. Iconic Sonoma producer and great views of their Lytton Springs estate. If you want to do Napa, we usually stay in Calistoga. Yountville has gotten absurdly expensive. Chappellet is a great experience imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Seconded for Healdsburg.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I’ve spent a fairly significant amount of time there. It’s empty and enshittified. It’s probably still pretty cool for a first timer but if you go often and saw it when it was exceptional it’s kind of just a sad shell of itself now. 

Go do tourist shit. Fisherman’s wharf, Alcatraz, wine country, yadda yadda and tell everyone about your completely inane non unique experience and enjoy the weather and double priced everything. 

Damn, Imma, show me where Nancy Pelosi touched you.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

If you go to Healdsburg skip Muir Woods and go to Armstrong Redwoods State Park. Way less crowded. 

Looking at a map, i guess one concern I'd have is that Armstrong doesn't abut the Pacific, but Muir Woods does.  That's kind of a thing for us.  Am I off base?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, immamac said:

Go do tourist shit. Fisherman’s wharf, Alcatraz, wine country, yadda yadda and tell everyone about your completely inane non unique experience and enjoy the weather and double priced everything. 

Stop being a dildo. You could say that stupid shit about a number of cities. Are you on your period again?

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looking at a map, i guess one concern I'd have is that Armstrong doesn't abut the Pacific, but Muir Woods does.  That's kind of a thing for us.  Am I off base?

You’re into abut stuff?

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You’re not going to see the ocean from inside Muir Woods. You can go west once you get over the Golden Gate bridge and drive along the ocean but neither park will have ocean views. 

We took a day trip from Santa Rosa to Armstrong State Park, went west to Sonoma Coast State Park, and then took the 1 down to Bodega Bay. Lots of ocean views from Sonoma Coast to Bodega Bay. Also plenty of awesome spots to tailgate and drink some wine and have a picnic. Stopped at a really cool brewery in Sebastopol for some live music and beer on the way back to Santa Rosa. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

You’re not going to see the ocean from inside Muir Woods. You can go west once you get over the Golden Gate bridge and drive along the ocean but neither park will have ocean views. 

We took a day trip from Santa Rosa to Armstrong State Park, went west to Sonoma Coast State Park, and then took the 1 down to Bodega Bay. Lots of ocean views from Sonoma Coast to Bodega Bay. Also plenty of awesome spots to tailgate and drink some wine and have a picnic. Stopped at a really cool brewery in Sebastopol for some live music and beer on the way back to Santa Rosa. 

Great, I appreciate the input.  Muir Woods has some ocean-viewing webcams, but that may not mean much.

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Stop being a dildo. You could say that stupid shit about a number of cities. Are you on your period again?

The title of the thread is “Bay Area” in the food and travel board. It isn’t “help me plan my trip to see my daughter play a show in the Bay Area” there are tons of threads like that. I can change the thread title but then so can jimmyjazz. 

my opinions are perfectly valid for a Bay Area thread. 

• Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great, I appreciate the input.  Muir Woods has some ocean-viewing webcams, but that may not mean much.

There's Muir Beach just down the hill from Muir Woods. It's decent but I'd imagine there are better beaches in the area if you head a little north. The beaches around Pacifica down south are nice. mdleast and I walked around Mavericks Beach while we were wasting time before Half Moon Bay Brewing opened. If you'd like some brewery recommendations, Russian River in Santa Rosa. In town, we liked Toranado in Lower Haight. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Recs for great restaurants in the area?  We aren't exactly high end diners -- The French Laundry ain't happening -- but Asian, seafood, bar food, Italian, other?

We'll be there on my birthday, so great pizza would not be a problem.  Cali-Mex (or whatever it's called), too.  Indian is a favorite of ours.  Tapas.  Whatever.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The title of the thread is “Bay Area” in the food and travel board. It isn’t “help me plan my trip to see my daughter play a show in the Bay Area” there are tons of threads like that. I can change the thread title but then so can jimmyjazz. 

Ah yes, the inaccurate thread title is the reason for the constant thread shitting. Thanks, Keep the hot takes coming. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Recs for great restaurants in the area?  We aren't exactly high end diners -- The French Laundry ain't happening -- but Asian, seafood, bar food, Italian, other?

We'll be there on my birthday, so great pizza would not be a problem.  Cali-Mex (or whatever it's called), too.  Indian is a favorite of ours.  Tapas.  Whatever.

See post #33. Not kidding, the next time I go to SF, that's the first place I'm going to eat as soon as I arrive. 

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

See post #33. Not kidding, the next time I go to SF, that's the first place I'm going to eat as soon as I arrive. 

Yeah, thanks, forgot about that.  It's on the list.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

@jimmyjazz, can you please change the thread title to "Bay Area and also, shut the fuck up, @immamac"?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Chinatown kinda sucks and is for tourists. It’s gotten better in the past few years. Z&Y, R&G during Dungeness season, Chong Qing Xiao Mian for noodles, Bund Cafe for soup dumplings, Capital for wings, Good Mong Kok for dim sum. Z&Y Peking Duck just opened and is great. Four Kings sounds like the hottest restaurant in town, but haven’t been yet. Casual spot from Mister Jiu’s people (which is one of the best restaurants in the city). 

Best Asian is on the west side, mainly on Clement and Irving. Dragon Beaux, PPQ Dungeness, Good Luck Dim Sum, Burma Superstar and Mandalay (Burmese is huge here), Lily, Spices. San Tung on Irving is prob my biggest rec - famous for the wings. The Tenderloin arguably has just as good spots, but I don’t recommend venturing around there unless you’re a die hard pho fan (and then I have recs!).

On 5/18/2024 at 12:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My wife and I want to visit the Bay Area 6/29 - 7/7.  Neither of us has spent any real time there.  We're looking for recommendations on hotels, B&Bs, restaurants, and places to see.  Some things on our list include:

-- Alcatraz

-- San Francisco proper

-- wine country (need advice on whether Napa or Sonoma might be better)

-- either Redwood or Sequoia National Park (need advice on which is "better")

-- other?

San Francisco is my favorite city to visit and do so once every 2 years, usually to catch a Warriors game. We stay around the Union Square area and take Muni (bus, light rail) everywhere. The city appears to be as clean and safe as before, however, many restaurants/businesses have closed down or are open fewer hours. First timer activities should include taking a cable car trip to Pier 39 area, visiting Alcatraz (purchase tickets in advance), catching the museums in Golden Gate Park. As already mentioned, rent a bike at Pier 39, and ride to Sausalito via the Golden Gate Bridge for lunch before taking the ferry back to where you began. 

Great and unique neighborhoods for drinks and food include Castro, Mission, Pacific Heights, and my two favorites, Chinatown and North Beach.  Great Chinese food at Hong Kong Clay Pot in Chinatown, and amazing Italian food in North Beach, including Golden Boy Pizza and Soto Mare for seafood. Plenty of hole in the wall bars all over town, and great food in every neighborhood. Grab a drink in the Tonga Room in the Fairmont, and a cocktail in the Top of the Mark across the street at the InterContinental for more of an upscale experience.

If you can't make it to Alcatraz, take a boat tour of the bay that will include getting you close to Alcatraz, and will take you under the Golden Gate Bridge for a unique view of that structure. Spend time around Pier 39 (Fisherman's Warf) too. It's touristy but a lot of sights to see, and its especially kid friendly. Catch a Giant's game at Oracle Park, but don't forget your cold weather gear if it's at night! 

There's no denying San Francisco is not the same city it was 5 years ago, but I've never felt unsafe anywhere, including being on public transportation at night. However, avoid the Tenderloin area and mid-Market Street and you be fine. You will see homeless, but nothing that you won't see in any other major city, and I have yet to see shit on the street. Can't wait for my trip in October. Enjoy yours next month!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Awesome recs, thanks!  Alcatraz is literally top of the list -- if my wife (a murder show aficionado) doesn't get there we'll be divorced by the time we land in Austin.

On Alcatraz, I usually pass on museum self-guided tour with headphones, as I like to go at my own pace. But the one at Alcatraz was awesome. I highly recommend it. Even my kids loved it.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

On Alcatraz, I usually pass on museum self-guided tour with headphones, as I like to go at my own pace. But the one at Alcatraz was awesome. I highly recommend it. Even my kids loved it.

Same here. I usually hate the recorded tours, but the Alcatraz one is really cool with the narratives from former inmates.

22 hours ago, Underdog said:

Monterrey aquarium was pretty cool as was Carmel.  We flew to San Diego… holla, @immamac and drove up the coast spending a few days in SD, LA in between.  

One r or you’re going to Mexico.  Can’t drive up from Santa Lucia but Big Sur just reopened this week at Palo Colorado.  There was a big slide earlier this year which shut it down.  

Monterey peninsula is great to visit but a couple of hours drive from SF, and probably it’s own visit.  I love it here since I live here but that’s a tangent.

A ton of good recommendations in this thread.  One I haven’t seen is the marine mammal center in Marin, it’s a really cool place with tours, and you can see baby elephant seals, sea lions, and harbor seals that they have rescued and are caring for.  It’s near the Bonita lighthouse and Sausalito is a cool place to grab lunch too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Concur on the Alcatraz audio tour. I normally hate audio tours but it is great and really puts you back when it was operational. Alcatraz has weirdly beautiful landscaping all around it. Some of the favorite pictures we took from our family trip were the flowers and plants around the grounds. Just watch out for seagulls shitting on you. 

One place I really enjoyed in Fisherman's Wharf was the Musee Mecanique. It's an old warehouse that has turn of the century to late century carnival games and arcade games. If you have a little extra time after Alcatraz, it's worth popping in. 

https://museemecanique.com/ 

Edited by mdmost

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Correct Armstrong is not on or near the beach but its an amazing park and usually far less crowded then Muir. The drive there from Healdsburg is one of my favorites, driving by world class pinot wineries on twisty roads then following the Russian river to Guerneville. You can make a 3/4 day trip out of it, stop at dry creek grocer for some sandwiches and hit up Armstrong in the morning, then head west following the Russian river to Jenner. That drive is amazing, as the hills hide the ocean and after a big sweeper its like bam there the Pacific. You can head a little north to Jenner our head south and stop at any number of beaches for amazing views like the one below.  Go south towards Bodega bay, stop and have lunch if our hungry or start heading back via Bodega highway and you'll pass by Potters school house, a building used in Hitchcock's the Birds then up to Sebastopol. Crooked goat brewing is really good as are any number of coffee shops plus there are plenty of wineries along the way.

If you guys are in Healdsburg on a Tuesday, we start Tuesday Tuesdays on the Plaza next week, each week its live music, people picnic on the square it can be a good time especially if the weather is nice. Obvious wine reigns supreme in these parts but if you're a beer drinker there are some outstanding breweries around too. Russian River has 2 breweries, the original in downtown Santa Rosa and the newer one in Windsor or you can just head to Healdsburg bar and grill on the square has it on tap 90% of the time, Big Johns Market or Olivers market has bottles for sale too if you don't want to go to the brewery.

Its a beautiful area out here with so much to see and experience so be careful as it might hook you like it did me and then you'll never leave

20180329_191510.jpg

20180206_120914.jpg

Edited by Smax
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Excellent.  Thank you so much.

I just realized that Lagunitas Brewing (Petaluma) is a bit north of SF, on the way to Healdsburg.  Their IPA is one of my favorite beers.  Their tap room is open Wed-Sun, have any of you visited it?  It looks like there are no brewery tours available when we're there, so is it worth the stop?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Excellent.  Thank you so much.

I just realized that Lagunitas Brewing (Petaluma) is a bit north of SF, on the way to Healdsburg.  Their IPA is one of my favorite beers.  Their tap room is open Wed-Sun, have any of you visited it?  It looks like there are no brewery tours available when we're there, so is it worth the stop?

If you've never had Pliny the Elder, you owe it to yourself to have one at Russian River in Santa Rosa. They also have a ridiculous brewery in Windsor. Either is just off the highway so it would be a quick drop in. Russian River does a brewery tour at the Windsor location. mdleast and I did that last summer. 

https://www.russianriverbrewing.com/windsor-location/

Edited by mdmost

Humble Sea Brewing in Pacifica is also really good. I liked that a lot more than Half Moon Bay Brewing. Half Moon has the better view but both the food and beer were just okay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

No, we never went further than Windsor. I mean, the world's your oyster on this trip. I always operate on trips out of the prism that if it's meaningful to you and you can make it work in your itinerary then do it. mdleast really wanted to go to Russian River so we worked it into our plans. My only stipulations were we go to Muir Woods on our way there because it's one of my favorite places in the world. I'm sure there are better places that are less crowded but it's a meaningful place for me. That's why we went early in the morning before it got too crowded. 

The other stipulation was I have to ride the cable car while I'm there. It's dumb, it's touristy but I really don't care. It was the thing I most associated with SF when I was a kid and wanting to visit. It's something that's fairly unique to the city. You can't get on a cable car and not have a good time. Plus, the views towards Alcatraz and the Bay Bridge are just incredible. 

Edited by mdmost

On 5/18/2024 at 3:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, it looks like Muir Woods has some big redwoods.  Is that a reasonable alternative to Redwood or Sequoia?  It's less of a drive.  (I don't MIND the drive necessarily, but it's nice to know any alternatives.)

Muir woods is amazing!

I go to SF every two to three weeks to visit clients. I stay in downtown, I run every morning down to the embarcadero, I walk all over the city for lunch and dinner meetings, it's an amazing city. I hope you have a great trip!!!

I echo what everyone else says about Muir Woods.  I went for the first time in 2002, and it wasn't that bad.  I went again in 2016, and as early birds we got there right when it opened and didn't have trouble parking, but as we were leaving the trails got more crowded and the parking lot was jam packed.  That was before the reservation system.  I think it's still a great stop (1) if you can get a reserved spot early in the morning, and (2) because it's much easier to get to than Redwood or Sequoia.  I've heard that those other two parks are absolutely fantastic, but are quite a drive from San Fran.

Just now, South Austin said:

I echo what everyone else says about Muir Woods.  I went for the first time in 2002, and it wasn't that bad.  I went again in 2016, and as early birds we got there right when it opened and didn't have trouble parking, but as we were leaving the trails got more crowded and the parking lot was jam packed.  That was before the reservation system.  I think it's still a great stop (1) if you can get a reserved spot early in the morning, and (2) because it's much easier to get to than Redwood or Sequoia.  I've heard that those other two parks are absolutely fantastic, but are quite a drive from San Fran.

It doesn't look like it will be difficult to get reserved parking if I arrange it soon.

I'm wondering where we should spend the night of July 4th -- does SF have a big event, are there others out in the surrounding areas?  I'm thinking that Lodge at the Presidio would be a wise choice by that point.