Bay Area

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't look like it will be difficult to get reserved parking if I arrange it soon.

I'm wondering where we should spend the night of July 4th -- does SF have a big event, are there others out in the surrounding areas?  I'm thinking that Lodge at the Presidio would be a wise choice by that point.

Don't base any plans on July 4th. Yes they do fireworks on the Bay and some idiots spend all day camped out at the Marina Green and near Ghirardelli, but the whole thing turns into a shit show of traffic and crowds. Not to mention half the time it's cold and foggy and you can't see anything. 

If you must, Fort Mason and Crissy Field are ok I guess. 

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't look like it will be difficult to get reserved parking if I arrange it soon.

I'm wondering where we should spend the night of July 4th -- does SF have a big event, are there others out in the surrounding areas?  I'm thinking that Lodge at the Presidio would be a wise choice by that point.

Everyone goes to Tahoe or the wine country. And yes, as mentioned you can’t see the fireworks through the fog. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We did SF in 2015 with our younger girls.  Stayed at a VRBO on the cable car line up the hill from Chinatown.  Did a combination tour of Alcatraz and Muir Woods.  Rented bikes and road around town and across the Golden Gate Bridge.  Other touristy stuff.

Wife and I went to Sonoma in 2016.  Rented road bikes and biked through the wine country during the morning and visited vinyards in the afternoons.  Healdsberg was great for dining.  We stayed at a B&B in Cloverdale and participated in that small town's 4th of July festivities.  Armstrong Woods was a great place to see tall trees.  As suggested above, spend a day hitting Armstrong and then out along the coast.  I would highly suggest taking Boehieman Highway from near Armstrong to Occidental and Coleman Valley Road from Occidental to the coast.  The views of the ocean are great.  

One of the best rides we did, twice, was south out of Healdsberg to Wohler Road (left), across the Russian River and back north to Healdsberg through the Dry Creek area.  Several really cool vineyards, including one in an old hop kiln.  It would be a great drive as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like Carmel and Big Sur more than Napa if you're going to hit some countryside for a day or two outside SF.  Really enjoyed lunch at Ventanas, which is right across PCH from Post Ranch Inn.  Spectacular views from a cliff above the Pacific.  And very reasonably priced.  Liked Clint's place for dinner or Happy Hour, Mission Ranch in Carmel.  And Le Biceclette for dinner in Carmel.  That entire area south of SF Bay is pretty awesome.

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Recs for great restaurants in the area?  We aren't exactly high end diners -- The French Laundry ain't happening -- but Asian, seafood, bar food, Italian, other?

We'll be there on my birthday, so great pizza would not be a problem.  Cali-Mex (or whatever it's called), too.  Indian is a favorite of ours.  Tapas.  Whatever.

Nari

Lily

https://www.theinfatuation.com/san-francisco/reviews/nari

https://www.theinfatuation.com/san-francisco/reviews/lily

• Hook 'Em 1

If you want an awesome place to grab a glass of wine and some snacks and watch the world go by, I highly suggest Union Larder in Russian Hill. My wife and I kill a couple of hours there every time we’re in town. We love it so much that we bought it out and had our rehearsal dinner there when we got married. 

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=140]mdmost[/mention] have you visited Sierra Nevada's brewery in Chico?  Again, their Pale Ale is one of my main brews.  Obviously it's super ubiquitous at this point but they still do a good job.
Sierra Nevada is one of my favorite breweries, I've been there several times as I also love the town of Chico. Sierra has amazing food too, I've never done the tour, just stopped in to eat and drink. I love how they have 3-5 acres next door where they grow experimental hops.

Lagunitas is good if you love their beer worth a stop. Henhouse brewing In Santa Rosa is incredible as well. Several ipas and if you can get your hands on Big Chicken, do it. I love their saisons as well

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Chico isn't close to San Francisco.

Yeah, I started to get a little map creep there.  It's very unlikely we'd go that far given the recs for places closer like Muir Woods.

If you go to Napa, make sure you go to Inglenook (Coppola's) and Peju.

Sausalito is an awesome place to chill and relax by the water with views of the golden gate and skyline. 

Angler, Water bar, and Perbacco are three of my favorite places to eat in town.

• Hook 'Em 4

Re Sausalito, I stopped there for lunch and a stroll during my first trip to San Fran in 2002, and had what at that time was one of the best burgers in recent memory at this place, which is just called "Hamburgers."  No indoor seating, just grab it from the counter and find a park bench.

spacer.png

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

If you want a picture with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background make sure to stop at either the Dana Bowers rest area or Golden Gate View Point on the north end of the bridge. 

I prefer the Moore Road pier just down the hill from that so you're getting an upwards shot of the bridge. Also Fort Baker is pretty cool. You can hit both on the way back from Sausalito. 

IMG_9205.jpeg

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We're thinking about the rec for Lodge at The Presidio -- is that too far from the bridge for photo ops?

No, not at all. Presidio has some of the best views of the bridge, and the new Presidio tunnel tops has an incredible vista. You can walk down from them hotel and get coffee in the morning. 

Also, Tiburon > Sausalito. Specifically, Mai Tai’s at Sam’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

And make sure to pull up Otis Redding's The Dock of the Bay.

Regular rotation, my man.  Regular rotation.

Scratch vocal track, too.  Otis died 3 days later.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We're thinking about the rec for Lodge at The Presidio -- is that too far from the bridge for photo ops?

I can’t recommend the Inn enough.  We take our dog and the combination of the nearby trails and the view of the golden gate from the park is spectacular.  Staff is awesome and accommodating and their wine and cheese welcome in the evening is great.  I don’t stay anywhere else when I visit.  I’ve never stayed at the lodge but it’s a quarter mile away and in an arguably better location .

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you want a picture with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background make sure to stop at either the Dana Bowers rest area or Golden Gate View Point on the north end of the bridge. 
A few years ago I was working in Sonoma county for a couple months. My first weekend I drove to SF and I've always loved the Golden Gate bridge so I was pumped. Got this amazing pic from the Marin headlands.0fd008b40b07f8494c26188cf77ec2d8.jpg
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Golden Gate Park is not to be missed. The museums are great, the park is beautiful, and the food around it is amazing. If you like Puerto Rican food, you have to go to Parada 22 in Haight Ashbury!

Going to Haight Asbury for lunch and then walking over to Golden Gate Park for the rest of the afternoon is a life well lived. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Going to Haight Asbury for lunch and then walking over to Golden Gate Park for the rest of the afternoon is a life well lived. 

If you’re in Haight Asbury and thirsty (for beer nerdy beer in particular), you certainly need to stop by my favorite bar: Toronado

0649a076ae01b2b29ae98739bf0cbd8c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, mdleast said:

If you’re in Haight Asbury and thirsty (for beer nerdy beer in particular), you certainly need to stop by my favorite bar: Toronado

0649a076ae01b2b29ae98739bf0cbd8c.jpg

This is a must stop every time I go to SF. 

• Like 2

A couple of additional questions:

-- anybody know anything about The Argonaut Hotel?  It's close to Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli Square.  We'll still probably do a couple of nights at The Presidio (Lodge).  Argonaut

-- it looks like we might try to catch a night at Lake Tahoe.  All things equal, we'd prefer to stay on the California side.  Any recommendations for which towns are best to visit or stay in?