ESPN: Al Gore's Texas Wishbone Turns 50 This Year

TreatyOak

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Well, yeah. The wishbone forever changed football as we know it. The internet didn't have nearly that kind of impact. 

Oh, okay.  I was also thinking that both used to work, but are now old and ineffective.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Yeah, I think he won the popular vote, but lost the electoral, by a few thousand votes... He should have invented a better way to accurately calculate votes placed at the ballot...

You're right, which is why I said it.

Those wondering what an Akers offense looked like, let me help

1st - I formation, running back.for 2 yards

2nd - I formation, running back for 1 yard

3rd - I formation, pass, incomplete

Punt

This was before my time but, whenever I watch older games on LHN, I am amazed at how uncreative the offense used to be.  

On 7/24/2018 at 7:41 PM, BornOrange said:

Leach was wrong in that article when he said no one ever truly learned how to stop the Wishbone.

Jimmy Johnson showed you need to have a big athletic line that can shut down the fullback dive without having to stuff the box and enough speed at linebacker and in the secondary to string out the option. Miami was able to shut down the Wishbone because of the talent they had on defense.

To be fair, those Miami teams would have shut down any offense.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This was before my time but, whenever I watch older games on LHN, I am amazed at how uncreative the offense used to be.  

Even more amazing is that for years, we've had fans that wanted to return to that era under the faulty presumption that it will somehow magically help the defense.

4 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Even more amazing is that for years, we've had fans that wanted to return to that era under the faulty presumption that it will somehow magically help the defense.

What assumption was most likely based on wanting to run a "ball controlled" offense, which theoretically keeps the defense fresher, with less snaps taken on that side...

Just now, kopp0e said:

What assumption was most likely based on wanting to run a "ball controlled" offense, which theoretically keeps the defense fresher, with less snaps taken on that side...

That may have been tenable when everyone was running the same type of equally "uncreative" offense as Knoxhorn put it, but that's a universe apart from today's environment. I liken that whole dynamic to, and I admit this is a bizarre comparison, a back and forth from Vice City: "The families can't keep their backs turned while our enemies reap the rewards." Besides, fewer snaps are taken today than were in the 70's, so again, that wasn't an assumption: it was a wish upon a star.

4 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

That may have been tenable when everyone was running the same type of equally "uncreative" offense as Knoxhorn put it, but that's a universe apart from today's environment. I liken that whole dynamic to, and I admit this is a bizarre comparison, a back and forth from Vice City: "The families can't keep their backs turned while our enemies reap the rewards." Besides, fewer snaps are taken today than were in the 70's, so again, that wasn't an assumption: it was a wish upon a star.

Ohh, I wholeheartedly understand and agree with you... I was pointing out a stance from the perspective of a past tense analysis...

I remember when Mack wanted to run the "Alabama" offense toward the end of his time here.  The problem I've always had with the ball control offense is that it shortens the length of the game per number of plays both teams run.  IMO, this would help the underdog.  Texas should be a team that wants as many plays as possible in a game because they should be more talented than the majority of teams they play.  Of course there are exceptions to this philosophy.  

• Like 1

They were running around 100 plays a game in the 70s for each side? Bullshit.

30 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I remember when Mack wanted to run the "Alabama" offense toward the end of his time here.  The problem I've always had with the ball control offense is that it shortens the length of the game per number of plays both teams run.  IMO, this would help the underdog.  Texas should be a team that wants as many plays as possible in a game because they should be more talented than the majority of teams they play.  Of course there are exceptions to this philosophy.  

Lulz. I forgot about that. 

Edited by TreatyOak
Kate Beckinsale.

18 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

They were running around 100 plays a game in the 70s for each side? Bullshit.

No one runs 100 plays a game in the present era. Hell, no one even runs 90 per game. Yeah, those 100's do happen in today's era, but those are outliers and are usually done by teams on the very high end of offensive efficiency (none of those MAC schools do that).

Last year, Syracuse led the nation in plays per game at 88, UTEP was at the bottom at 58, and if you look closely at the list, there's very little separation between teams and is a steady drop from top to bottom. In other words, it's safe to assume that the mean and the median are roughly the same. Since that's the case, the actual number for today is around 73 plays per game (88+58=146, /2=73). 

In 1970, it was around 76-77 plays per game. I'll grant you it's not a huge difference, but it was still a greater number. In fact, Texas ran 84 plays per game with its wishbone offense, which would put them at 4th place nationally in 2017, ahead of the fucking Washington State Mike Leaches at 82.9.

So no, it's not "bullshit" by any means other than one's own preconceived perceptions.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yup.  Big guys on rivers of coke were pretty damn formidable.

On 7/24/2018 at 7:41 PM, BornOrange said:

Leach was wrong in that article when he said no one ever truly learned how to stop the Wishbone.

Jimmy Johnson showed you need to have a big athletic line that can shut down the fullback dive without having to stuff the box and enough speed at linebacker and in the secondary to string out the option. Miami was able to shut down the Wishbone because of the talent they had on defense.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

To be fair, those Miami teams would have shut down any offense.

Yeah, Jimmy Johnson didn't figure out how to stop the wishbone.  He had an entire defense of 1st and 2nd round picks and future HOF'ers.

He did put more of an emphasis on speed, though.  Go watch classic games from the 80's and you'll see LB's with thick necks who weight 250 lbs.  Jimmy got smaller ones who could run sideline to sideline and that's what they all look like now.

“ Three things are possible when you throw the ball and two of them are bad.” Sounds like something you’d say when your QB can’t throw, and most wishbone QBs had questionable arms, at best. I like the current wave of passing offenses and strong arm QBs.

Also I assume the three things are complete, incomplete, interception. The QB can also get sacked or fumble, or he can scramble and gain yards. A QB doesn’t need to be in a wishbone to be an effective runner in key situations.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, Jimmy Johnson didn't figure out how to stop the wishbone.  He had an entire defense of 1st and 2nd round picks and future HOF'ers.

He did put more of an emphasis on speed, though.  Go watch classic games from the 80's and you'll see LB's with thick necks who weight 250 lbs.  Jimmy got smaller ones who could run sideline to sideline and that's what they all look like now.

He changed the game as far as defense, and it wasn't until the air raid offense picked up that neutralized, the speed with wider gaps for routes...

I think eventually it will evolve again with dual threat qb's who can scramble & run the option on the fly...

Yep. A team with superior S&C and defensive depth should go fast tempo.

Happy Birthday Wishbone!!

Here are some highlights from the late 60s. BTW, I became a Longhorn fan during that period. Not that I had a choice, I was born into a family of Orangebloods. 

1968 Texas Football Highlights

1969 Texas Football Highlights

This offense was literally unstoppable when it first came out once the kinks were worked out.  It literally demoralized opponent by just running over them and trouncing them.

Edited by RC Horn

9 hours ago, RC Horn said:

Here are some highlights from the late 60s. BTW, I became a Longhorn fan during that period. Not that I had a choice, I was born into a family of Orangebloods. 

This offense was literally unstoppable when it first came out once the kinks were worked out.  It literally demoralized opponent by just running over them and trouncing them.

Watching the '68 highlights reminds how potent the Wishbone was.

Side note: the simultaneous catch against aggy. Kind of remember them bitching. Should it happen in today's world they would go ape shit crazy. Would be good times.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well when it's included in the thread title and then dumbasses give the OP props for it that tends to happen.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well when it's included in the thread title and then dumbasses give the OP props for it that tends to happen.

The props to op were well earned. People need to lightened up. Football is on the horizon.

btw: Al also invented global warming.

8 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

The props to op were well earned. People need to lightened up. Football is on the horizon.

btw: Al also invented global warming.

Thanks, my man. Repped. And Al Gore did invent the wishbone and global warming, as this photo clearly confirms. Street_Bertelsen_Worster_Gore.jpg  

I would lighten up if I didn't think it was going to open up the floodgates to more partisan political jokes that eventually will get everybody pissed off. It is the thin edge of the wedge.

There is no room for that crap here.

Especially as the joke is decades old and stale and unfunny. That makes it worse.

10 hours ago, RC Horn said:

Thanks for posting. Did anyone else notice the touchback rule change in the 1968 video? The Horns punt and the ball lands deep in the end zone, and rolls back out to the 2 yard line, where the Horns down it.   

43 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I would lighten up if I didn't think it was going to open up the floodgates to more partisan political jokes that eventually will get everybody pissed off. It is the thin edge of the wedge.

Especially as the joke is decades old and stale and unfunny. That makes it worse.

People seem to be enjoying the thread.  

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Checked some of your posts in other threads. A lot of things seem to make you angry.