CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's not going to land many blue-chips at UH. It doesn't happen at non-P5 programs. Recruiting won't be any better at Houston than it was a WV. Houston isn't going to win recruiting battles with Texas, OU, A&M, LSU, Baylor, TCU and so on. 

Granted, talent disparity will be different because of Big 12 vs AAC. 

Agree that the Talent disparity he'll have at UH vs his conference will be much stronger than WVU vs B12. Also expect that his skill position recruit pool much better in Texas area.

But Holgy probably will recruit better at UH than Major right??

2018.... UH had 22 Commits   19 were 3-Star

2018...WVU had 23 Commits.. 2 4-Star  21 3-Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019.... UH has 15 Commits...    14 3-Star

2019... WVU has 16 Commits.. 2 4-Star  14 3-Star

Getting more great players to WVU is harder than UH imo..... Have to use more Jucos & grad transfers to survive at WVU

Edited by LTtxfan

That's pretty crappy on Holgie's part, if true.

-------------------

Another source told ESPN that Holgorsen has not been in touch with his coaching staff since the 34-18 loss to Syracuse in the Camping World Bowl. Holgorsen stayed in Orlando after the game instead of returning to the team.

ESPN's Jake Trotter and Adam Rittenberg contributed to this report

Edited by PittsburghTiger

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That's pretty crappy on Holgie's part, if true.

-------------------

Another source told ESPN that Holgorsen has not been in touch with his coaching staff since the 34-18 loss to Syracuse in the Camping World Bowl. Holgorsen stayed in Orlando after the game instead of returning to the team.

He's been known to stay after the bowl games, not sure about communication with the staff in past years. 

If WVU gets Neal Brown, I think this is a long term win for the hillbillies. 

I'll be very curious to see if Coach goes after any coog players now that Major is gone.

5 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Probably celebrating getting paid!

Guitar-Marquee-Header.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

He's been known to stay after the bowl games, not sure about communication with the staff in past years. 

If WVU gets Neal Brown, I think this is a long term win for the hillbillies. 

I'll be very curious to see if Coach goes after any coog players now that Major is gone.

To me, that's shitty if he's done it before. I believe you should always travel back with your team.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Part of Holgy's desire for UH is a better recruiting rich area (7x7) where he knows he has a greater opportunity to put together more talented teams than he could at West Virginia.  Juco's and the grad transfers were necessities to survive in recruiting for WVU..... that's a hard route for consistency year to year.

The recruit pool on the east coast is no different from what he's going to find in Houston. 

Not sure if posted here, but read that Holgorsen is going to hire recently former Texas Tech DC David Gibbs to be his DC.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In the 3-4 years he's been at Tech, he may have had 5 or 6 good defensive halves. Not games. Halves. 

Good luck with that, UH.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Not sure if posted here, but read that Holgorsen is going to hire recently former Texas Tech DC David Gibbs to be his DC.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In the 3-4 years he's been at Tech, he may have had 5 or 6 good defensive halves. Not games. Halves. 

Good luck with that, UH.

Uh, do you know where Gibbs came from? He was successful at Houston under Levine, especially at creating turnovers.

How much longer does Franklin get at Penn State before they realize he's an awful head coach? He's now 7-14 in games against UM, MSU, OSU, B1G champ games, and bowl games.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

WVU fan forum saying he is a big Snow White fan allegedly

Shicking. The guy likes to hang in Houston with Tilman, blow is the least of his worries. I'm curious to see how the talented recruits who went to uh for Coach and Major react. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

yikes...thats a shot.  I can't blame the dude for wanting to be in Texas.  he'd get his ass handed to him recruiting in Fl and probably Cali.  I could see him gunning for a lower level SEC gig at some point.  maybe Ole Miss?  He's probably seeing Herman going from Houston to Texas, Frost going from UCF to Neb, peterson Boise to Wash and thinking his best route to a better gig than WVU is to go 12-1 or better a couple of years in a row at a Houston. the guy is a perennial 8 win coach an probably doesn't see it getting better the next few years.

that WVU gig has got to be tough recruiting wise.

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

How much longer does Franklin get at Penn State before they realize he's an awful head coach? He's now 7-14 in games against UM, MSU, OSU, B1G champ games, and bowl games.

I think he's done pretty good considering that he had to overcome that whole "child sodomy" stigma at his job.

pedogif.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

people like to say it is hard to recruit to WVU, but that is really not true......they have many areas along the east coast to pull from and sure there is competition, but there is competition for a G5 program to recruit in Texas too

WVU is a school where a lot of students from up and down the east coast go to be in a "college town" people forget that especially in the north east most of their public universities are not amazing schools with the exception of Pitt and Penn State that are both hard to get into directly (Penn State especially runs a large BlinnTeam type deal with their smaller system schools) and what makes Rutgers that much better than WVU and some of the SUNY schools are good, but many are in shit holes and are filled with kids that go home for the weekend...and Rutgers is in pretty much a shit hole too

I am not saying that UMass or UConn are bad at all, but they are far from keeping up with what most people think of NE higher ed which is all those private schools

and as for the expectations of WVU for winning sure they were in the BE, but some of their better years in the BE matched up with years when other BE schools were also winning 9+ games and WVU finished some of those seasons beating some damn good teams in bowl games like #3 OU and a highly ranked UGA and it is hard to make the argument those teams should have been let down to be in a BCS game or that WVU snuck up on them

is the Big 12 better week in and week out than the BE I think the clear answer is yes especially with the stupid nine conference games, but there is no reason that a wVU team like the one this year should not have finished ranked and probably up in the top 15.....they got fucked missing the NC State game that would have most likely been a good win for them, but they still finished the season like shit and if Baylor and TCU can have runs of multiple years ranked to end the season in the Big 12 then WVU can and should expect the same

Holgar is not in it to win it all he is in it until it no longer pays well or until he is sent packing as a head coach and being a coordinator stops being fun and this is the first step to being sent packing as a head coach because his contract demands were stupid relative to his wins and any coach that makes the argument "pay me because it is hard to win here" is a fucking pussy

he will most likely eat shit in Houston because he is not a great recruiter and because their next season starts out like shit for them and the fans might try and blame Major for next year, but the media is not going to let it go that easily especially with 8 or fewer wins and they have what should be 3 guaranteed losses next year and probably more like 5 and holgar shits the bed in bowl games

$4 million per year for one less win will have the media on them mercilessly

every coach gets at least a one year mulligan. it will be funny if he goes 7, 8, 7, 8 for 4 Mil per.

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

every coach gets at least a one year mulligan. it will be funny if he goes 7, 8, 7, 8 for 4 Mil per.

well when you fire a guy making $1.5 million a year for winning 8 games two years in a row and pay him about $2 million to go away and pay $1 million to get a coach bought out then $20 million for 5 years while talking about "showing UT" and "should be P5" and "will dominate Houston recruiting now" you have pretty much already taken your mulligan

7, 8, 7, 8 would be funny, but if he only wins 7 next year Houston is going to get ripped by the media mercilessly especially if WVU can go 6-6 and win a bowl game to go 7-6

Just now, ButtFumble said:

well when you fire a guy making $1.5 million a year for winning 8 games two years in a row and pay him about $2 million to go away and pay $1 million to get a coach bought out then $20 million for 5 years while talking about "showing UT" and "should be P5" and "will dominate Houston recruiting now" you have pretty much already taken your mulligan

7, 8, 7, 8 would be funny, but if he only wins 7 next year Houston is going to get ripped by the media mercilessly especially if WVU can go 6-6 and win a bowl game to go 7-6

agreed they will get ripped but only for a short while.  its hard to understand how much no one gives a shit about Houston.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The Jets, I get. Their management has done everything under the sun to prevent them from winning anything dating all the way back to when Broadway Joe left. But I thought the Cardinals were smarter than this. Guess not.

Matt Rhule interviewed with the Colts last year. Sometimes it's just about the candidates getting their feet wet with the process.

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I can tell you that a year from now, the Cowboys will be happier about this move than you will.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

is Kliff a black guy or something....I have seen him dance in practice so I don't think there is a drop of black in him, but fuck the NFL must have some "quota" to fill with interviewing Kliff

personally I think he should take the Cardinals AND Jets jobs

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

agreed they will get ripped but only for a short while.  its hard to understand how much no one gives a shit about Houston.

I agree with that somewhat, but the whole coaches pay thing is getting pretty out of control with the guarantees and buyouts

what will really set it in motion for a big time discussion is if Jumbo fucks up at aggy and cannot win more than 8 next year

the media outside of Houston (where no one really gives a shit) has been picking up on Houston pretending like they belong and how much they subsidize athletics and if this shit fails it could be really bad for them...Petey T and some of the others are not going to forget the comments in their articles ripping Houston for firing Major they are waiting to write the follow up to this even more so if it fails

15 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Yurcich to Columbus.  Tell me about this guy.  What's his thing?

Born in Euclid Ohio.  Scorpio.  QB Whisperer...  Likes Romance Novels, Jazz, and sleeping on the 18th Green of Okie Lite golf course.

(Yurcich, Age 43, spent last 6 years at Okie Lite OC/QB Coach; previously spent two seasons at Division II Shippensburg (Pa.) as offensive coordinator and QB Coach........Yurcich helped Shippensburg rank first nationally among Division II schools in total offense and second nationally in scoring offense at more than 46 points per game. His offense also led the nation in passing yards at 387.7 yards a game.)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

is Kliff a black guy or something....I have seen him dance in practice so I don't think there is a drop of black in him, but fuck the NFL must have some "quota" to fill with interviewing Kliff

personally I think he should take the Cardinals AND Jets jobs

I agree with that somewhat, but the whole coaches pay thing is getting pretty out of control with the guarantees and buyouts

what will really set it in motion for a big time discussion is if Jumbo fucks up at aggy and cannot win more than 8 next year

the media outside of Houston (where no one really gives a shit) has been picking up on Houston pretending like they belong and how much they subsidize athletics and if this shit fails it could be really bad for them...Petey T and some of the others are not going to forget the comments in their articles ripping Houston for firing Major they are waiting to write the follow up to this even more so if it fails

Kliff is the flavor of the month for NFL with the Rams O/Mcvay going bonkers and Mahomes success.  

SC/Arky/Ole Miss are going to need to step it up for Jimbo to win 8 or less. one year with no playoff down.  if we get to year 4 with no playoff the cliff will be pretty dramatic assuming Bama doesn't fuck up when Saban steps down and Gus/Ogre can keep recruiting well.

its  the ultimate long game lollercoaster

36 minutes ago, Parliament said:

OSU fans weren't a huge fan of his play calling from what I could tell, but that won't be his job in Columbus.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Uh, do you know where Gibbs came from? He was successful at Houston under Levine, especially at creating turnovers.

Douche Franklin is perfect for Crappy Valley. He strokes the GodPaCult's collective ego and the GodPaCult in turn strokes his massive ego, even though he doesn't win the important games.

It is, in essence, a State Pen Circle Jerk.

Bill O'Brien, I believe, was sickened by the GodPaCult and got out as soon as he could.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, I know he came from UH.  Look at his numbers, before UH, at UH, and at Tech cumulatively.  He's not very good.