CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

I would contribute to the GoFundMe to get the Pirate back in the Big 12. And WVU would actually be an awesome fit for his personality. I can't think of a better school for a "Fuck it, we're going on 4th and 29 from our own goal line with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter" kind of coach.

And seeing thousands of drunken hillbillies sporting blue and gold CJK5H sweatshirts would be worth the price of admission.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

I would not be surprised to see Major get mentioned as a potential UM OC.

Surly already ahead of yah...... Major has been brought up as possible OC for Manny by Surly Folks......

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I realize a lot of people love Orlando on this site, but I’d be fine with him getting hired away. Watching undersized 3 man fronts get buttfucked repeatedly this year grew tiring. I understand all of the yada yada about losing NFL guys and so forth, but there were many instances of weak personnel choices matched against bad defensive front calls. 

TCU was the only game this year I thought Orlando called well. The disguised coverages got us at least two picks and reduced Robinson to a mental shambles. After that Orlando was at best meh. 

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not if they do background checks. I’ve got friends inside the regime at one of his recent last stops and they said he’s an alcoholic beyond anything else they’ve seen in the coaches who’ve gone through their program. It’s apparently hard for him to be sober by sundown. He’s a fucking burnout with problems. So I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts to support why college programs will give him a second look. 

Everybody knows Sark was pickled daily at USC, at practice and even at games. I can't imagine that his subsequent employers don't know this. Sark probably has to bring a sackful of AA chips to every job interview. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

TCU was the only game this year I thought Orlando called well. The disguised coverages got us at least two picks and reduced Robinson to a mental shambles. After that Orlando was at best meh. 

Everybody knows Sark was pickled daily at USC, at practice and even at games. I can't imagine that his subsequent employers don't know this. Sark probably has to bring a sackful of AA chips to every job interview. 

Orlando called a great game against Iowa State. I’m hoping he does something similar against Georgia 

• Like 2

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/12/31/west-virginia-assistants-in-the-dark-as-holgorsen-talks-with-houston/

Reported that Part of Dana's issues at West Virginia was gty's on his Contract.....

"In the runup to the Camping World Bowl, Lyons offered Holgorsen a one-year extension through 2022. But Holgorsen’s agent Trace Armstrong wanted the buyout fully guaranteed — as opposed to the school being on the hook for only 60 percent of the remaining salary should Holgorsen be fired."

An industry source said Armstrong was seeking a buyout befitting “a coach who’s winning 10 or 11 games a year and conference championships.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One article on West Va Head Coaching options.  

http://dubvnation.com/if-holgorsen-leaves-then-what/

Current WVa AD Shane Lyons was once upon a time the Deputy Director of Athletics at Alabama.  Lyons has spearheaded several multi-million dollar improvements to nearly every athletic facility on campus and the growing feeling is that Lyons wants better returns on his investments.  Holgorsen wasn’t his hire and Lyons my have been underwhelmed with how things have shaken out while Dana has been in charge.

Holgorsen leaving could be better for the school financially than it would to keep him. If he made it to the final year of his contract, his $4 million salary would rank in the top-25 for all division one coaches. For most fans, and athletic director Shane Lyons, Holgorsen has yet to prove he’s worth that type of money. Along with that, if Holgorsen rides away to Houston on or after January 1st, West Virginia would be owed $1 million to buyout his contract.

Odds are Lyons would be happy to let him walk. 

Neal Brown and  Dan Enos are mentioned in article as possible candidates.  No doubt Shane Lyons will want to make a big splash with this new Head Coaching hire.....

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

An industry source said Armstrong was seeking a buyout befitting “a coach who’s winning 10 or 11 games a year and conference championships.”

Who else does this guy represent?

Because Holgo’s record in the Big XII certainly doesn’t merit that kind of buyout.

Big XII record (overall): 51-38 (avg. 7-5)

Total wins by year: 7, 4, 7, 8, 10, 7, 8

Big XII record (conf): 33-30 (avg. 5-4)

best finish: T-2nd

bowl record: 1-5

I was surprised how mediocre his record was when looking him up. I suppose one could say that he might be better in a non-P5 conference, but given how much noise UH and the frittata made about them being P5 (and in particular big XII) worthy, it seems more like a move that feels splashy at first but maybe not so much once it’s looked at more closely.

They basically have to hope that a step down in competition will let him bump up his results a notch or two.

So perfectly fitting for UH I guess. 

1 hour ago, Jebus said:

Who else does this guy represent?

Because Holgo’s record in the Big XII certainly doesn’t merit that kind of buyout.

Big XII record (overall): 51-38 (avg. 7-5)

Total wins by year: 7, 4, 7, 8, 10, 7, 8

Big XII record (conf): 33-30 (avg. 5-4)

best finish: T-2nd

bowl record: 1-5

I was surprised how mediocre his record was when looking him up. 

Part of Holgy's desire for UH is a better recruiting rich area (7x7) where he knows he has a greater opportunity to put together more talented teams than he could at West Virginia.  Juco's and the grad transfers were necessities to survive in recruiting for WVU..... that's a hard route for consistency year to year.

Edited by LTtxfan

19 hours ago, Whitman said:

Not in a million years.  It wasn't that he left, but how he left.

C'mon, Rich Rod is such an upstanding human being...

Some of the juicy facts that accompanied his firing at Arizona detailed his juggling of numerous extramarital affairs.

For example, he invited his then-mistress to the sideline of an Arizona home game, knowing that both, his wife Rita as well as his daughter, an Arizona pom girl, would be down there as well. In order to avoid any tension or fight between Rita and his mistress, he ordered his female assistant, whom he also had an ongoing affair with, to stand between the two women throughout the game and keep them separate.

That guy is one hell of a scumbag.

Just spun through the UH board, and they are about 90/10 jubilant over Holgo.

Here's the hottest take:

this is the most amazing thing this administration has done. We talked big and carried a little stick with the applewhite thing. This is awesome. We just took a coach from the big 12. Not to mention he beat Herman this year. And we fired a longhorn. This is just not our MO. This is setting expectations high and is not what I expected. Wow! Wow! Wow! Go Coogs!

(Is that positive enough? This is amazing!!!)

They hate us. They really, really hate us. I've come to lump in their little brother syndrome fanbase right down there with aggy and Rapelor.

They also believe that the Thamel "Clownshow" piece was orchestrated by shadowy forces in Austin. Specifically, Tom Herman, who they claim is Thamel's mancrush. Herman was protecting his boy Opie by calling the administration a shitshow. And others say that the anonymous Big 12 sources quoted in the article just wanted to keep UH in its place.  

14 minutes ago, Netzer said:

Some of the juicy facts that accompanied his firing at Arizona detailed his juggling of numerous extramarital affairs.

For example, he invited his then-mistress to the sideline of an Arizona home game, knowing that both, his wife Rita as well as his daughter, an Arizona pom girl, would be down there as well. In order to avoid any tension or fight between Rita and his mistress, he ordered his female assistant, whom he also had an ongoing affair with, to stand between the two women throughout the game and keep them separate.

How did he have time to coach?  I guess that explains his record this year.

Edited by Big Frog II

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

OK State OC to tOSU? Heard the possibility on the radio, saying Day reached out. Not from particularly reliable sources. I have no clue. Just reporting what I heard. 

I think he is headed somewhere. Interesting if he goes to buckeye. 

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

OK State OC to tOSU? Heard the possibility on the radio, saying Day reached out. Not from particularly reliable sources. I have no clue. Just reporting what I heard. 

Another destination rumored for Okie Lite OC is Tennessee??  

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

51 minutes ago, Netzer said:

Play on, Playa!

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Part of Holgy's desire for UH is a better recruiting rich area (7x7) where he knows he has a greater opportunity to put together more talented teams than he could at West Virginia.  Juco's and the grad transfers were necessities to survive in recruiting for WVU..... that's a hard route for consistency year to year.

He's not going to land many blue-chips at UH. It doesn't happen at non-P5 programs. Recruiting won't be any better at Houston than it was a WV. Houston isn't going to win recruiting battles with Texas, OU, A&M, LSU, Baylor, TCU and so on. 

Granted, talent disparity will be different because of Big 12 vs AAC. 

people like to say it is hard to recruit to WVU, but that is really not true......they have many areas along the east coast to pull from and sure there is competition, but there is competition for a G5 program to recruit in Texas too

WVU is a school where a lot of students from up and down the east coast go to be in a "college town" people forget that especially in the north east most of their public universities are not amazing schools with the exception of Pitt and Penn State that are both hard to get into directly (Penn State especially runs a large BlinnTeam type deal with their smaller system schools) and what makes Rutgers that much better than WVU and some of the SUNY schools are good, but many are in shit holes and are filled with kids that go home for the weekend...and Rutgers is in pretty much a shit hole too

I am not saying that UMass or UConn are bad at all, but they are far from keeping up with what most people think of NE higher ed which is all those private schools

and as for the expectations of WVU for winning sure they were in the BE, but some of their better years in the BE matched up with years when other BE schools were also winning 9+ games and WVU finished some of those seasons beating some damn good teams in bowl games like #3 OU and a highly ranked UGA and it is hard to make the argument those teams should have been let down to be in a BCS game or that WVU snuck up on them

is the Big 12 better week in and week out than the BE I think the clear answer is yes especially with the stupid nine conference games, but there is no reason that a wVU team like the one this year should not have finished ranked and probably up in the top 15.....they got fucked missing the NC State game that would have most likely been a good win for them, but they still finished the season like shit and if Baylor and TCU can have runs of multiple years ranked to end the season in the Big 12 then WVU can and should expect the same

Holgar is not in it to win it all he is in it until it no longer pays well or until he is sent packing as a head coach and being a coordinator stops being fun and this is the first step to being sent packing as a head coach because his contract demands were stupid relative to his wins and any coach that makes the argument "pay me because it is hard to win here" is a fucking pussy

he will most likely eat shit in Houston because he is not a great recruiter and because their next season starts out like shit for them and the fans might try and blame Major for next year, but the media is not going to let it go that easily especially with 8 or fewer wins and they have what should be 3 guaranteed losses next year and probably more like 5 and holgar shits the bed in bowl games

$4 million per year for one less win will have the media on them mercilessly