CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If Kliff gets hired will that team set up a hotline for season ticket refunds?  Otherwise the hold time will be crazy long

Nah. Chicks will be all over that hire. They may suck on the field, and in the locker room, but chicks love Coach Bro.

7 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Ohio State had NO IDEA how to stop Purdue, which is probably  the closest Big 10 team to what he'll face in the Big 12.  I know Grinch was viewed as a rising star at Wazzu, but it will be interesting to see what he's able to do in this conference.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

Ohio State had NO IDEA how to stop Purdue.  I know Grinch was viewed as a rising star at Wazzu, but it will be interesting to see what he's able to do in the Big 12.

Yeah, pardon me if I don't shake in my boots at the thought of OU hiring Grinch. PAC 12 offenses are similar to the Big 12, but I don't know that Grinch faced the consistent week-over-week qualify of QB's that the Big 12 has in the PAC. I think he'll improve their defense, but past that I guess we'll just have to see. 

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Grinch is a good dude who everyone likes but an average hire. Not the homerun hire ou fans were expecting or will likely come tell us the got now that he is signed.

I think the narrative now will be that an average DC + Riley's offense will be good enough for a title.

I'm a little relieved by the Grinch hire.

OU and Riley were always likely to get a strong DC, but I remember hearing several times this year that without Bosa, tosu's defense just wasn't anything special. 

I think Grinch was a big step up for Leach and a slam dunk hire for wsu.  At ou, relative to some of the other names floated, it feels good not great.  Mostly I didn't want them getting the rising star from Bama they were rumored to be after. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

tOSU's Alex Grinch = OU's new DC.

I've been told he's a good coach. I haven't seen it with my own eyes. He coached the safeties at tOSU. The safeties weren't good. 

I'd like to see Schiano move on, too. Larry Johnson is the only coach on defense whose job should be secure. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I've been told he's a good coach. I haven't seen it with my own eyes. He coached the safeties at tOSU. The safeties weren't good. 

I'd like to see Schiano move on, too. Larry Johnson is the only coach on defense whose job should be secure. 

I mentioned in the recruiting thread that I'm surprised Ohio St let Grinch walk rather than cut ties with Schiano.  Were they not impressed?

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well him and the new LB coach you stole from Michigan.

17 minutes ago, Istian said:

Yeah, pardon me if I don't shake in my boots at the thought of OU hiring Grinch. PAC 12 offenses are similar to the Big 12, but I don't know that Grinch faced the consistent week-over-week qualify of QB's that the Big 12 has in the PAC. I think he'll improve their defense, but past that I guess we'll just have to see. 

In what way are Pac 12 offenses similar to the Big 12?

Washington - nope

Stanford - nope

Cal - nope

USC - nope

Utah - nope

Colorado - nope

ASU - nope

Arizona - yeah

UCLA - maybe

Oregon - not sure

Oregon State - hahaha

Washington State - yeah, but Grinch wasn't trying to stop that one.

40 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I would think "working wonders" would include a win over your rival. Did WSU's defense get noticeably worse after he left? Success on defense in the PAC-12 is a questionable accomplishment to begin with, even more so when USC and Oregon are both down. 

51 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Congrats @PittsburghTiger

38 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Thank you Jesus! It was a shit show of epic proportions!

I’m shocked that Shawn Watson still had a job. 

Whoever hires this clown next should just shut down their program 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's unclear to me how much of Ohio State's defense was controlled by Schiano and how much was Grinch.

It's unclear to me as well.  What is clear to me is that Grinch's position group (safeties) was a shitshow for most of the year.  Most Buckeye fans have no idea why it took a Jordan Fuller ejection for Brendan White to see the field and solidify the safety position.  Prior to White coming in it was nothing but poor run support, bad angles and missed assignments by the safeties.

28 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It should be noted that Washington St's defense was better this year than it was in any of Grinch's three seasons as DC (adjustedstats.com).

As a Wazzu fan I’ll give credit where credit is do.  Grinch built that D from the ground up and even recruited the players who contributed this year. Tracy Claeys even said it himself that he didn’t change anything because the system Grinch installed worked.  I can’t speak to his roll or impact at OSU, but he was very good in Pullman and should be an upgrade at OU. 

58 minutes ago, SDG said:

As a Wazzu fan I’ll give credit where credit is do.  Grinch built that D from the ground up and even recruited the players who contributed this year. Tracy Claeys even said it himself that he didn’t change anything because the system Grinch installed worked.  I can’t speak to his roll or impact at OSU, but he was very good in Pullman and should be an upgrade at OU. 

This is probably all that really matters. When you are driving a Yugo....a Hyundai is an upgrade even if you wanted a Lexus. Doesn't mean that OU's issues on defense completely go away but they probably won't give up 40 to terrible teams like Kansas anymore. 

Spoiler

The CEO of a business needs to make difficult decisions. Friday, Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi did something that he probably didn’t want to do.

Narduzzi made the decision to fire his friend and someone he’s referred to as a mentor, offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

When asked after the Sun Bowl his confidence level in Watson, Narduzzi said “high.”

Obviously, that wasn’t completely true and Friday’s news shows that Narduzzi is neither blind nor deaf. Watson has been the target of criticism since last year and the negativity reached an all-time high following another offensive disaster in El Paso on national television.

With many fans threatening on social media to not renew season tickets and likely pressure from unhappy donors, Narduzzi had no other choice but to fire Watson.

At the time of his hiring, Watson seemed like a lazy, convenient and bad hire for Narduzzi. Two years later, that’s proven to be the case.

Watson’s hire wasn’t just bad, it was a disaster.

Aside from the fact that he wasn’t an effective recruiter, Watson wasn’t particularly liked by his players and was an awful play-caller.

One of Watson’s former players said to Pittsburgh Sports Now, “it’s modern day football, all that running the ball is for the birds.”

That’s a sentiment shared by a few current players and one of the reason persistent rumors exist of unhappiness at wide receiver and of possible future transfers. Maybe the move of moving on from Watson and receivers coach Kevin Sherman will improve the mood and change some of their minds.

Even more important than that, Watson needed to go because Pitt couldn’t trust him with the future development of Kenny Pickett and Davis Beville. If neither of those two pan out, Pitt football is headed down the road of more mediocrity.

If Pickett would’ve performed and looked like the player most people, including Narduzzi, was expecting this season, there’s probably a good chance Watson is still Pitt’s offensive coordinator. However, that wasn’t the case for a large part of the year, as Pickett seemed to be robotic on the field and didn’t progress at all. In fact, a case can be made that he regressed.

Whether or not it’s fair or completely accurate, that’s on Watson. He was the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, so when struggles occurred, and there were a fair share of those, the finger deservedly goes to Watson.

Watson’s system was boring to watch and couldn’t be that much fun to play in if you’re a wide receiver or tight end.  As you know by now, tight end Travis Koontz didn’t commit to Pitt because he felt the tight end was essentially used as a third offensive tackle.

Recruits talk, and I’m sure that’s a sentiment that some skilled position players that are or were considering Pitt felt.

Narduzzi needs to change that with his next offensive coordinator.

Considering his philosophy on running the ball and stopping the run, there’s no doubt that Narduzzi had some sort of role in what we watched on game days and he needs to be open to change.

I’m not calling for a no-huddle system or a complete air-raid, but a deep and medium range passing game has to exist. It just has to. Enough with the bubble screens and rolling the quarterback out only to throw a five-hard out, which has to be a majority of Pickett’s completions in 2018.

I don’t have the name of a person I’d be looking at, that’s why Narduzzi makes the big bucks. All I know is that it’s 2019 not the 1980’s and Pitt needs to modernize things.

Although it was a no-brainer, I give Narduzzi credit for making the move of firing Watson. Now comes the hard move of finding an offensive mind that can take Pitt to the next level.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/01/04/vukovcan-pat-narduzzi-makes-smart-move-by-firing-shawn-watson/

In other news Watson still sucks!

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1