CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He said knee-jerk tweets by dipshit national media don't count.

Outside of footballscoop (if you even consider them national media) I think most of the national media sucks in terms of coaching searches. 

Generally speaking, the local media is much better. The national media just throws out random names and frames it as "these are the top targets". If you list 10 names you are probably going to guess correctly. 

Here's more context from footballscoop on Temple's search. Sounds like Schiano and Orlando did interview. They also hint at just promoting Brown who came over with Diaz. 

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-temples-second-head-coaching-search-2018/

"For starters, he’s not exactly starting from scratch. Kraft conducted a national search just one month ago, interviewing a number of other Power 5 defensive coordinators in addition to Diaz: Mike Elko (Texas A&M), Don Brown (Michigan), Greg Schiano (Ohio State) and Todd Orlando (Texas). He could re-engage with any of those options should he so choose. Kraft is also well positioned to broaden the search, with a reported $4 million buyout payment coming his way from Miami."

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Here's more context from footballscoop on Temple's search. Sounds like Schiano and Orlando did interview. They also hint at just promoting Brown who came over with Diaz. 

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-temples-second-head-coaching-search-2018/

"For starters, he’s not exactly starting from scratch. Kraft conducted a national search just one month ago, interviewing a number of other Power 5 defensive coordinators in addition to Diaz: Mike Elko (Texas A&M), Don Brown (Michigan), Greg Schiano (Ohio State) and Todd Orlando (Texas). He could re-engage with any of those options should he so choose. Kraft is also well positioned to broaden the search, with a reported $4 million buyout payment coming his way from Miami."

Fran Brown only has 8 years of coaching experience and has never been a Coordinator.  Thats a pretty big jump - and seems like the kind of risk Temple wouldn't want or need to take.  If they were a down program looking to build I could see that - but they've had recent success.

I hope that if Brown does get the job its because everyone thinks he's ready - and not just because it is most convenient.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Fran Brown only has 8 years of coaching experience and has never been a Coordinator.  Thats a pretty big jump - and seems like the kind of risk Temple wouldn't want or need to take.  If they were a down program looking to build I could see that - but they've had recent success.

I hope that if Brown does get the job its because everyone thinks he's ready - and not just because it is most convenient.

I don't know. Losing a coach every 2 years can't be desirable. Francis Brown checks a lot of boxes with the Temple/Northeast connections and he's probably not a coach that will be poached for a few years. 

Coaches like Orlando, Elko and Schiano are almost certainly just looking for a spot they can advance their careers. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I realize a lot of people love Orlando on this site, but I’d be fine with him getting hired away. Watching undersized 3 man fronts get buttfucked repeatedly this year grew tiring. I understand all of the yada yada about losing NFL guys and so forth, but there were many instances of weak personnel choices matched against bad defensive front calls. 

• Like 3

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

College teams will be after Sarkisian.

Not if they do background checks. I’ve got friends inside the regime at one of his recent last stops and they said he’s an alcoholic beyond anything else they’ve seen in the coaches who’ve gone through their program. It’s apparently hard for him to be sober by sundown. He’s a fucking burnout with problems. So I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts to support why college programs will give him a second look. 

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

MHver3 is one of the least credible twats on twitter.

Is he the same guy that would blog several years ago as something like "thedudefromWV" when the conference realignment stuff was going on?  Damn if he didn't get a lot of internet traction with no knowledge and throwing mountains of shit on a wall.   Never seen someone so wrong so many times.  

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not if they do background checks. I’ve got friends inside the regime at one of his recent last stops and they said he’s an alcoholic beyond anything else they’ve seen in the coaches who’ve gone through their program. It’s apparently hard for him to be sober by sundown. He’s a fucking burnout with problems. So I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts to support why college programs will give him a second look. 

Rumors Tennessee is interested. I saw rumors about FSU having interest from some national media folks before they hired Briles.

Edited by texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Rumors Tennessee is interested. I saw rumors about FSU having interest from some national media folks before they hired Briles.

I assume that’s lazy speculation by someone expected to have an opinion. If Pruitt hires Sarkisian, he knows exactly what he’s getting his program into and I’ll be fascinated. Sark was a less competent version of Shooter from Hoosiers during his stint in Tuscaloosa. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Cristobal is kind of an odd fit on the west coast because he comes from the Saban school of throwing bags of money at recruits. 

he has it good there fill night can just provide players 40 pairs of jordans including limited edition ones for "training" as part of the school equipment donation and then when they are well used (worn one day going to class when the weather was perfect) the players can just sell them on craigslist

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

MHver3 is one of the least credible twats on twitter.

anyone got a greg flemguar from Minnesota tweet?

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

College teams will be after Sarkisian.

get him with Rummy at AU and they can win the collegiate butt chugging championship

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

he has it good there fill night can just provide players 40 pairs of jordans including limited edition ones for "training" as part of the school equipment donation and then when they are well used (worn one day going to class when the weather was perfect) the players can just sell them on craigslist

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Orlando leaving wouldn't be a bad thing - opposing Big 12 defenses have figured out his scheme and are now exploiting its weaknesses. Plus our DL recruiting is inadequate for trying to run a 3-man front. 

We don’t have the right personnel to run a 3-man front but he keeps doing it.   I don’t get it.

Edited by Horn80

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

And apparently Matt Campbell declined to interview with the lowly Jets.

Cleveland Browns is best current opportunity for Campbell if he is interested in NFL now.

If Cincinnati could get their act together, he might consider that as well...... for family reasons, he seems to prefer smaller towns......

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have no idea if these guys have a clue, or not, but this having to be first with breaking news is ridiculous.

What's funny is that most of us are pretty ambivalent about whether he stays or goes, so maybe that should be a sign that it is time for him to move on, especially if the UH big cigar wants to money whip him.  One can buy a lot of Red Bull with $20MM. 

Edited by Whitman

My buddies and I are now leaning that Dana is going to go, but what the fuck do we know.  The fun will be who his replacement will be.  This will be our AD's first big shot here to show what he has or can do.  Oliver Luck got us into the Big12 and brought us Dana.  Shane Lyons came to us when Luck left.  He was the asst. AD at Alabama.  

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it for any reason other than some guy tweeting that it won't happen. That's kind of like washing your car and then parking under a grackle-filled oak tree.

the southeast corner of 21st and Speedway by Jester West can make that happen for you

8 minutes ago, Whitman said:

My buddies and I are now leaning that Dana is going to go, but what the fuck do we know.  The fun will be who his replacement will be.  This will be our AD's first big shot here to show what he has or can do.  Oliver Luck got us into the Big12 and brought us Dana.  Shane Lyons came to us when Luck left.  He was the asst. AD at Alabama.  

Saban is a native West Virginian. It's happening!!!

13 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Nick Saban to WVU?  

edit; Huckleberry beat me to it.  

Edited by SDG

22 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Steve Sarkisian???    /s

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2018/12/31/atlanta-falcons-steve-sarkisian-fired-coordinator-marquand-manuel/2450807002/

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

They should hope not

I would guess we are going to head in the "non-drunken frat boy" direction this time.  NTTIAWWT

PS;  Also, if this goes down, this will be our first major hire while since being in the Big12, as both Huggins and Dana were here before we joined in 2012. 

Edited by Whitman