CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

http://www2.philly.com/college-sports/temple/temple-football-head-coach-ed-foley-mike-elko-manny-diaz-search-geoff-collins-20181212.html

Two names that have fueled speculation are Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko and Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz.

A source said that Elko interviewed on Tuesday and confirmed a Miami Herald report that Diaz had interviewed on Monday.

Elko, 41, has local ties, having graduated from Penn. He also attended high school at South Brunswick, N.J. One source suggested he is a viable candidate.

Another person who interviewed, according to a different source was Don Brown, the Michigan defensive coordinator.

Early in the process interim head coach Ed Foley said he would be interviewing for the job and a different source confirmed that he has indeed interviewed for the job.

Foley became a sensation while representing Temple in Shreveport, La., during a Monday news conference for the Independence Bowl. Temple (8-4) will meet Duke (7-5) in that bowl on Dec. 27. Foley’s excitement for Temple and playing in the bowl that he displayed during the news conference drew national attention with several outlets.

Also known to interview has been former Temple assistant and Baylor assistant head coach/corners Francis Brown, who interviewed on Monday.

Other have interviewed as well, from eight to 10, according to a source.

Just now, Tex Long said:

Is Beaty set to replace Mehringer, if the JMU deal goes through?

Does MensaTom really want him? Beaty has WR, passing game coordinator, and recruiting chops, right? 

Mehringer isn't the favorite to get the JMU job, but I would assume Beaty would be the favorite to replace him. I think we'll see Beaty on the staff in some form or fashion.

Yes.

Yeah, I was thinking he could be an add-on even if Mehringer stays. If I read the NC2A regs rightly, the only limitation is that he can't "actively" coach players. But it seems fairly easy to circumvent... Certainly he could coach coaches, and I'd think he could sit in the box and talk with at least coaches on the sidelines, if not players as well. 

I realize whatever input he had for the CCG bore little or no fruit, but as I pointed out prior to the game, the XII would almost certainly referee us out of a victory since the real point was to try to make the playoffs which we had zero shot at... gotta admit I was surprised at the sheer obviousness, though.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:35 PM, LTtxfan said:
8257312.png
Florida State has been in contact with several candidates to fill its vacancy at offensive coordinator following the departure of Walt Bell on Monday.

Names of LarryFedora and Kendal Briles have emerged in recent days. 

FSU was rumored to have had interest in both  Kliff Kingsbury, and Hugh Freeze but both have recently taken other coaching positions....

Some at FSU unsure on whether to hire Kendal Briles due to his past.....

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2018/12/12/18137935/florida-state-offensive-coordinator-kendal-briles-fsu

Edited by LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, Southernthunder said:

I may have miss quoted the tweet. I’m trying to find it. It was something I read earlier this week. 

Read this..... It mentions the OL Coach question at the end, and discusses background check on Kendal Briles.....

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2018/12/12/18137935/florida-state-offensive-coordinator-kendal-briles-fsu

Mike Jinks joins Kliff at USC.      State of Texas recruiting.

USC announced two additions to Clay Helton’s coaching staff Tuesday afternoon, as Chad Kauha’aha’a will be joining the Trojans as defensive line coach and Mike Jinks as running backs coach.

Jinks got his start as a high school football coach in Texas, which should give the Trojans a significant recruiting advantage in the Lone Star State. He was the head coach at Steele High in Cibolo from 2006 to 2012. He went 76-18 at Steele and became a national coach of the year finalist while winning the 2010 Class 5A Division II state championship.

Jinks went 7-24 at Bowling Green. He had much more success in his role at Texas Tech, where he was associate head coach in 2015.

In 2014, running back DeAndre Washington became the first Red Raider to rush for 1,000 yards since 1998. That season, Texas Tech, known primarily for its prolific passing offense in Kingsbury’s “Air Raid” system, rushed for 153 yards per game.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-chad-kauhaahaa-20181211-story.html

The carousel is almost stopped:

School Out Why? In
Akron Terry Bowden Fired  
Appalachian State Scott Satterfield Move to Louisville Eli Drinkwitz
Bowling Green Mike Jinks Fired Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan John Bonamego Fired Jim McElwain
Charlotte Brad Lambert Fired Will Healy
Colorado Mike MacIntyre Fired Mel Tucker
East Carolina Scottie Montgomery Fired Mike Houston
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson Retired Geoff Collins
Kansas David Beaty Fired Les Miles
Kansas State Bill Snyder "Retired" Chris Klieman
Liberty Turner Gill Retired Hugh Freeze
Louisville Bobby Petrino Fired Scott Satterfield
Maryland DJ Durkin Fired Mike Locksley
Massachusetts Mark Whipple Fired Walt Bell
North Carolina Larry Fedora Fired Mack Brown
Ohio State Urban Meyer Retired (for now) Ryan Day
Temple Geoff Collins Move to Atlanta Manny Diaz
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired Matt Wells
Utah State Matt Wells Move to Lubbock Gary Anderson
Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Fired Tyson Helton

Kubbie made the right call on not hiring any of those 4 Tech needed a clean break from the past

and I wonder if there will be any firings after the bowl games like if Auburn loses to Purdue (especially badly which for Auburn any loss to Purdue would be badly)

most of the other 6-6 teams do not look like the programs that give a shit or they have a coach that is not on the hot seat for one bad season (TCU, VT, OkState)

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

The carousel is almost stopped:

School Out Why? In
Akron Terry Bowden Fired  
Appalachian State Scott Satterfield Move to Louisville Eli Drinkwitz
Bowling Green Mike Jinks Fired Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan John Bonamego Fired Jim McElwain
Charlotte Brad Lambert Fired Will Healy
Colorado Mike MacIntyre Fired Mel Tucker
East Carolina Scottie Montgomery Fired Mike Houston
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson Retired Geoff Collins
Kansas David Beaty Fired Les Miles
Kansas State Bill Snyder "Retired" Chris Klieman
Liberty Turner Gill Retired Hugh Freeze
Louisville Bobby Petrino Fired Scott Satterfield
Maryland DJ Durkin Fired Mike Locksley
Massachusetts Mark Whipple Fired Walt Bell
North Carolina Larry Fedora Fired Mack Brown
Ohio State Urban Meyer Retired (for now) Ryan Day
Temple Geoff Collins Move to Atlanta Manny Diaz
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired Matt Wells
Utah State Matt Wells Move to Lubbock Gary Anderson
Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Fired Tyson Helton

Good Update.... Thanks!!

Unless you don't want to mess with FCS.... May want to add NDSU opening..... I think their DC may fill that job