CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Under Snyder they thrived on JUCOs and an offensive system that didn't much include the option at all. Again completely different from Nebraska.

They're from a neighboring state, that's pretty much it. Still a terrible take.

Neighboring states with little to no recruiting bases who punched above their weight class anyway. Devaney was able to pass the torch to Osborne; Snyder is Devaney and Osborne rolled into one. Both will never reach such great heights again. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that back when KSU had Michael Bishop and Ell Roberson the modernized option was a big part of the scheme. 

We are at cross-purposes. I wasn't talking about scheme, anyway. And the JUCOs are comparable to Nebraska's partial qualifier program, or whatever that was. I am just saying that in the big picture they are two programs that face similar built-in challenges and they managed to transcend them for a very long time, and that Nebraska did it for longer and better than K-State, and that I believe the happy days are over for both programs, forever. Unless one of them finds another Bill Snyder. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

33 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This isn't getting discussed enough.  This is a killer hire, assuming Mack lets them practice tackling in practice.  Bateman is one of the up-and-comers on the defensive side of the ball.

Mack is putting together a badass staff at UNC.

With the exception of GDGD, Mack always had up and coming or highly respected coordinators.  He's always been great at that.  

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

With the exception of GDGD, Mack always had up and coming or highly respected coordinators.  He's always been great at that.  

Yup. Of all 30-40 coaches that came through here during his time, Mack pretty much had a badass staff at all times during his tenure (minus maybe 1-2 coaches).

2 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

It's not a big secret that Bill Snyder took Ozborns offense.  Other than that I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

I don't get what you and Huck don't get. Two plains states schools with no recruiting bases to speak of manage to punch above their weight class for decades. Nebraska for much longer than KSU, hence KSU is mini-Nebraska. 

9 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

with all their mini Big 6, Big 8, Big 12 titles along with mini heismans and mini national championships.  Got it.

Also, KState could beat Texas, Nebraska could not.  Not even close to the same.

Yeah, that is part of my point. KSU didn't quite get any of that, but they came close to Heismans and NCs a couple of times. Again, hence why I called them mini-Nebraska. The vs UT thing is a salient point against my argument, I'll grant you that. 

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I don't get what you and Huck don't get. Two plains states schools with no recruiting bases to speak of manage to punch above their weight class for decades. Nebraska for much longer than KSU, hence KSU is mini-Nebraska. 

I'm young, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like Nebraska is much less of a red-headed-stepchild than you think it is. 

They made the best/highest profile coaching hire in the country last season. They have had a shitty stretch but they aren't some also-ran. Nebraska will be back. Probably not 3 titles in a decade back, ever, but they will have more 10 win seasons and CCG appearances. Their tradition is simply too deeply rooted for that team to be this bad for that long. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I'm young, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like Nebraska is much less of a red-headed-stepchild than you think it is. 

They made the best/highest profile coaching hire in the country last season. They have had a shitty stretch but they aren't some also-ran. Nebraska will be back. Probably not 3 titles in a decade back, ever, but they will have more 10 win seasons and CCG appearances. Their tradition is simply too deeply rooted for that team to be this bad for that long. 

I am no Husker hater, but I think their time has come and gone. Same for K-State. Either one or both of them may prove me wrong, of course, but it's been long years since either was elite and they've lost their mystique to recruits. Frost has a tall order to bring the Huskers back to a semblance of what they once were. 

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am no Husker hater, but I think their time has come and gone. Same for K-State. Either one or both of them may prove me wrong, of course, but it's been long years since either was elite and they've lost their mystique to recruits. Frost has a tall order to bring the Huskers back to a semblance of what they once were. 

KState was a game away from playing in the national title in 2012. What in the absolute fuck are you talking about? Can you get your facts straight before commenting further?

Nebraska went 67-27 under Pelini. That's not "elite" but it's pretty damn good, .700 ball. Nebraska will easily return to that under Frost (they almost won 6 straight to end the season for Christ's sake). They currently have a #16 recruiting class. 

If anything, Nebraska will recruit much better going forward as recruiting continues to become more national and as they further develop relationships in hotbeds like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio. 

You're taking a lull of a historical powerhouse as a sign that they will never return to being a good football team. 

That's like saying Indiana will never be good at basketball again. 

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This for sure^^^. It's highly unlikely that Nebraska will be 10 game winners anytime soon, maybe never and they reside in one of the easiest divisions in P5 football.  K-State has been circling the drain for a few years now.

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

They were, but the point is, programs rise and fall, and some that fall never get back up. 

I'm not continuing this conversation until you've read at least most of this page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football

Where is the parallel here between Nebraska and Minnesota? Or K State for that matter?

Memorial Stadium, home of the Cornhuskers since 1923 and the location of an ongoing NCAA-record 368 game sellout streak, provides one of the most exciting game-day experiences in all of college football. The "Sea of Red," as it is known, becomes the "third-largest city in Nebraska" on game days, as its capacity exceeds that of every Nebraska town except for Omaha and Lincoln.

The sellout streak dates back to November 3, 1962, during Bob Devaney's first season at Nebraska. The first game in the streak was a 16–7 loss to Missouri with 36,501 in attendance.[34][35] The streak reached 300 games with a win over Louisiana–Lafayette in front of a then school-record crowd of 86,304 on September 26, 2009.

The stadium completed a major expansion to its east side in 2013, bringing the official capacity to 85,458,[36] though crowds regularly exceed 90,000. Nebraska played in front of the largest crowd in Memorial Stadium history on September 20, 2014 against Miami, with an announced attendance of 91,585.

Vanderbilt has an 8-3-1 record against Texas. We haven't played them since 1928, though. Rice was salty in the 1950s -- my dad used to peddle Cokes in the stadium and remembers it well. GA Tech did win that natty back in 1990 (I think) but they were a juggernaut at one time, beating Cumberland College 220-0. The whole aggy 12th man legend is based on a game against then-powerhouse Centre College from up in Kentucky. Just recently all of the big three Florida schools have fallen off. The service academies used to dominate. (Special case because of war / draft.) Arkansas was a beast under Broyles, Holtz and Hatfield and they suck now. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not continuing this conversation until you've read at least most of this page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football

Where is the parallel here between Nebraska and Minnesota? Or K State for that matter?

Memorial Stadium, home of the Cornhuskers since 1923 and the location of an ongoing NCAA-record 368 game sellout streak, provides one of the most exciting game-day experiences in all of college football. The "Sea of Red," as it is known, becomes the "third-largest city in Nebraska" on game days, as its capacity exceeds that of every Nebraska town except for Omaha and Lincoln.

The sellout streak dates back to November 3, 1962, during Bob Devaney's first season at Nebraska. The first game in the streak was a 16–7 loss to Missouri with 36,501 in attendance.[34][35] The streak reached 300 games with a win over Louisiana–Lafayette in front of a then school-record crowd of 86,304 on September 26, 2009.

The stadium completed a major expansion to its east side in 2013, bringing the official capacity to 85,458,[36] though crowds regularly exceed 90,000. Nebraska played in front of the largest crowd in Memorial Stadium history on September 20, 2014 against Miami, with an announced attendance of 91,585.

Sure they are beloved. It's the mainspring of state pride. There is nothing else up there to compete with them in sports except Creighton hoops.  But if they don't start winning again soon it won't be for much longer. We've had our down periods. So has LSU and OU and Bama, but the difference is it's easier to get off the mat down here with all these recruits on your doorstep. Nebraska has to beg borrow or steal recruits to get them to Lincoln and that was a lot easier when they were always in the NC picture. 

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Vanderbilt has an 8-3-1 record against Texas. We haven't played them since 1928, though. Rice was salty in the 1950s -- my dad used to peddle Cokes in the stadium and remembers it well. GA Tech did win that natty back in 1990 (I think) but they were a juggernaut at one time, beating Cumberland College 220-0. The whole aggy 12th man legend is based on a game against then-powerhouse Centre College from up in Kentucky. Just recently all of the big three Florida schools have fallen off. The service academies used to dominate. (Special case because of war / draft.) Arkansas was a beast under Broyles, Holtz and Hatfield and they suck now. 

Wow you are really trying to dig a hole to China aren't you. 

You start with the KState/Nebraska comparison, which, while not particularly accurate, I at least understand your line of thinking.

Now you are comparing Nebraska to Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Rice, Georgia Tech, Arkansas and the service academies.

I'm done. I tried. 

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Nebraska has to beg borrow or steal recruits to get them to Lincoln and that was a lot easier when they were always in the NC picture. 

Yeah and it seems like it's working pretty fucking well considering they are back to clawing for top 15 recruiting classes. That is more than good enough to win 10 games and your division. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

That’s not how you do it. 

Goddammit that would sting.  Come on CDC, pay the man. 

Yeah, I guess you're right, you do have a point.  I mean look at the growth of some of our receivers this year under Mehringer's tutelage.....hell LJH has blossomed into one of the best receivers in the country, you can't tell me a large part of that wasn't the expertise that Mehringer brought to the WR room.  I think he could be a great young leader as the head coach for an up and coming team, would be tough to see him go. 

4 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

It's not a big secret that Bill Snyder took Ozborns offense.  Other than that I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

The moment Kansas State grabbed for the Nebraska game plan: (of gaining a coach who has won a non-CFP national title at previous school)

7 minutes ago, seven said:

Total gut punch. The AD already ruined the basketball program, now we don't even have enthusiasm for football. 

I'm a t-shirt sip now I guess. 

youll be satisfied. i know it isnt your dream hire like UNT or troy..but CK is a top coaching prospect that plays real mans football

5 minutes ago, seven said:

He's the lowest paid coach in the league and still overpaid by half. We can't even do the budget option correctly. Totally incompetent AD

gene taylor will right the ship that old man began to sank 5 yrs ago. your biggest blunder was holding onto him instead of becoming ndsu jr in 2013.

thats on you.

58 minutes ago, seven said:

He's the lowest paid coach in the league and still overpaid by half. We can't even do the budget option correctly. Totally incompetent AD

You could always hire our old AD. He was a tater at one point. Also, didn’t Currie hire Weber?

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

its official..klieman to kstate per feldman.

its a step down program, but hes getting a 1.8 million dollar raise, 200k bump for 6 yrs...no brainer. his football brand is going to pop the b12 in the mouth

giphy.gif

The North Dakota State Bison football program represents North Dakota State University in college football at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivisionlevel and competes in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. The Bison play in the 19,000 seat Fargodome

KState In the B12 is a better job.....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Campbell is ready.  I hate (but respect) both NDSU and KSU.  I think it's a hire with a lot of potential.  K State definitely staying in their lane.

Agree that with Snyder still hanging around Kstate.... probably the best solution to a messed up environment.  Good thing that this new Coach and the AD have worked together before..... 

Will Bill Snyder's son get a coaching job on this new Staff??

Edited by LTtxfan