Ohio State Urban Meyer Retired (for now) Ryan Day
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired Matt Wells
Utah State Matt Wells Move to Lubbock  
Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Fired Tyson Helton

Walt Bell went to UMass.

Charlotte hired Healy from Austin Peay.

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if Kliffy should have waited to visit with tOSU for open OC position??

I am thinking that Kliff's options probably weren't as good as were being speculated. The only real NFL tidbit we got was a consultant role with the Rams. Might have turned into something better, but that doesn't seem like an obviously better gig than OC at USC. He may be really intent on staying in the college game, but I have a feeling the real NFL options weren't that enticing or never really materialized in any concrete form. (LOL at him being considered for NFL HC jobs!)

Still confused about KK being an offensive savant.  He had Johnny Cocaine where he wasn't really calling plays but rather Manziel adlibs and then Mahomes, who is one of the better young QB's in years.

Outside of that, it's a typical spread offense that doesn't run the ball well at all.  USC gets NFL lineman and RB's.  How does that fit?

23 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Not a shock.  Wonder what happened?  On the surface it appears fired, but there were reports that Gus wanted him gone but AU was going to make Gus keep him.  Wonder if Lindsey just didn't feel wanted/comfortable.

And it happens the day before Kelly Bryant is announcing.

From what I've read the AU admin told gus that he needs to make changes but all changes have to be revenue neutral.  So Gus couldn't fire Lindsey (buyout) and can't hire above Lindsey's pay grade.  Lindsey also had a buyout with AU so he couldn't leave unless it was a mutual decision and both parties waived their buyouts.  Two thoughts here, 1. given how Au acts, I'm surprised they didn't hear that Lindsey was willing to walk and try and charge him on a buyout and 2. Knowing that gus effectively lowered the price to fire him to get one more season I would be getting the fuck off that ride ASAP if I was an assistant.  Not a chance the guy sticks around on anything more than a year by year basis.  He could win the natty next year and 5 games the following and they'll Chizik his ass.

34 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Still confused about KK being an offensive savant.  He had Johnny Cocaine where he wasn't really calling plays but rather Manziel adlibs and then Mahomes, who is one of the better young QB's in years.

Outside of that, it's a typical spread offense that doesn't run the ball well at all.  USC gets NFL lineman and RB's.  How does that fit?

The fit isn't with personnel on the team necessarily.  The fit is that helton is desperate to keep his job and that KK see's a prime spot to land as the interim 6 games into the season next year for a nice audition for another HC job.  Even if Helton sees 9-11 wins next year then it will all be placed on Kliff's shoulders and he'll be back under the head saddle within a year or two at some school.  Maybe a school in the south given how Bama has turned to the forward pass to advance the ball.

I think the truth is that this firing might be a great launching of Kliff's career as an overpaid and under performing coach.  He was never going to be highly successful at tech and they were going to play every card to never let him leave.  Now he is out and into the most high profile job available that has future opportunities because of the visibility.  Its genius really.  Win and you will be the reason given USC's woes.  Lose and you'll likely get an audition unless you're offense is worse than last year's offense.

Edited by Jhawk

I dont think KK operates a proper air raid offense. For one, his lineman are not split wide enough. Second, hes too predictable when it comes to fourth down play calling, going for it. It's a simple offense to run and Leach is the best at keeping you off bounce. KK keeps you right there in front... not that you know where the qb is going all the time, you're much more comfortable against him then you are Leach and some of the others who run that offense. You got to coach and call plays like your hair is on fire.

47 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You spelled "Clooney" wrong.

If you slap-dicks insist on perpetuating this endless string of gay jokes about kliff, can you at least try to make them funny? Because this shit is more tired than your Dad's asshole after a night with Kliff Kingsbury and George Clooney.

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

If you slap-dicks insist on perpetuating this endless string of gay jokes about kliff, can you at least try to make them funny? Because this shit is more tired than your Dad's asshole after a night with Kliff Kingsbury and George Clooney.

Damn queen, get a run in your hose or something?

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If I were a HC with options, I'd never consider Auburn.  Rural outpost and the boosters are Real Housewife type drama queens.

There are a lot of schools that overemphasize athletics, but they take it to a different level.

The administration/Board at Auburn seriously acts like the point of the university is so that they can have an NCAA football team.  

(I'll also add that there are two professors I've ever talked to (at conferences/wherever) who said they were pressured by their dept chair to change a grade they had given a football player.  Want to guess what university both of them used to work for?)

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If I were a HC with options, I'd never consider Auburn.  Rural outpost and the boosters are Real Housewife type drama queens.

Kliff KIngsbury to Auburn could have leveled the playing field vs in state rival Alabama... #AndNowBackToReality...

On 12/3/2018 at 7:31 PM, closetojumping said:

I am guessing Virginia, but that's all I got. I feel like I pay a lot of attention to the sport of CFB. Also, I don't know where Old Dominion and East Carolina are. I presume VA and NC somewhere, respectively, but that's as close as I can come to getting them right. There really aren't many others in the FBS that I don't think I could nail. Good trivia item at a bar, really.

Old Dominion is in Norfolk, VA. The others I'd have to Google. I would've guessed Philly area for Liberty

7 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Somehow I totally missed Tyson Helton being named head coach of the Hilltoppers.  Didn't feel like he lit the world on fire as OC for Pruitt.

Man, if that family lacks in excellence they make up for it in volume.

Clay heltons dad was also a terrible coach batting somewhere around .300 as a coach at cougar high

On 12/3/2018 at 6:31 PM, closetojumping said:

I am guessing Virginia, but that's all I got. I feel like I pay a lot of attention to the sport of CFB. Also, I don't know where Old Dominion and East Carolina are. I presume VA and NC somewhere, respectively, but that's as close as I can come to getting them right. There really aren't many others in the FBS that I don't think I could nail. Good trivia item at a bar, really.

I think ECU is in Wilmington, NC, where my aunt lives. She's got season tickets to all the games of whatever school is there because there isn't much else to do in Wilmington.

I guess because it's a Commonwealth and not a state, and because the Commonwealth of Virginia has nicknames, Virginia schools have odd naming conventions. You'd think Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth were privates, but they are biggish-city publics: ODU in Norfolk and VCU in Richmond. On the other hand Richmond U is a private. And then they have their aggyesque cow college in VT and their flagship UVA which acts more like a private. Liberty is an ultra-Baylor somewhere in the hills. 

I guess it would break down like this:

UVA = UT

VT = aggy

VCU = UH

ODU = Tech

Richmond = SMU / TCU. Or maybe that would be Washington & Lee. Or maybe Washington & Lee is their Rice. 

I think ECU is in Wilmington, NC, where my aunt lives. She's got season tickets to all the games of whatever school is there because there isn't much else to do in Wilmington.
I guess because it's a Commonwealth and not a state, and because the Commonwealth of Virginia has nicknames, Virginia schools have odd naming conventions. You'd think Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth were privates, but they are biggish-city publics: ODU in Norfolk and VCU in Richmond. On the other hand Richmond U is a private. And then they have their aggyesque cow college in VT and their flagship UVA which acts more like a private. Liberty is an ultra-Baylor somewhere in the hills. 
I guess it would break down like this:
UVA = UT
VT = aggy
VCU = UH
ODU = Tech
Richmond = SMU / TCU. Or maybe that would be Washington & Lee. Or maybe Washington & Lee is their Rice. 
Not a state. Hahaha.

Virginia is a state. So are the other three states that stylize themselves as commonwealths in their name.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not a state. Hahaha.

Virginia is a state. So are the other three states that stylize themselves as commonwealths in their name.

Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth, too. But it's a territory. Pedantry ftw.

Also props to the guy who thought Liberty was in Philly - the thought of that student body interacting with that city was a quality morning laugh.

The latest...

School Out Why? In
Akron Terry Bowden Fired  
Appalachian State Scott Satterfield Move to Louisville  
Bowling Green Mike Jinks Fired Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan John Bonamego Fired Jim McElwain
Charlotte Brad Lambert Fired Will Healy
Colorado Mike MacIntyre Fired  
East Carolina Scottie Montgomery Fired Mike Houston
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson Retired  
Kansas David Beaty Fired Les Miles
Kansas State Bill Snyder "Retired"  
Liberty Turner Gill Retired  
Louisville Bobby Petrino Fired Scott Satterfield
Maryland DJ Durkin Fired Mike Locksley
Massachusetts Mark Whipple Fired Walt Bell
North Carolina Larry Fedora Fired Mack Brown
Ohio State Urban Meyer Retired (for now) Ryan Day
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired Matt Wells
Utah State Matt Wells Move to Lubbock  
Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Fired Tyson Helton

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

There's a new Mexico?

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/672401957/new-mexico-id-temporarily-rejected-as-foreign-by-d-c-clerk

New Mexico Resident's ID Temporarily Rejected as 'Foreign' By D.C. Clerk

A New Mexico man applying for a marriage license in Washington, D.C., this month had his state driver's license rejected as a form of identification because a clerk and her supervisor believed New Mexico was a foreign country.

Gavin Clarkson, a Las Cruces, N.M., resident, said he was at the District of Columbia Marriage Bureau on Nov. 20 applying for a license to wed his then-fiancée when their nuptial plans hit a brief snag. The clerk told him he would need an international passport on the apparent belief that he wasn't a U.S. citizen.

"She thought New Mexico was a foreign country," he said of the clerk as quoted by the Las Cruces Sun-News. "All the couples behind us waiting in line were laughing."

Clarkson was a recent candidate for New Mexico secretary of state and is a member of the Choctaw Nation. He said he protested the clerk's decision to her supervisor, who also failed to recognize New Mexico as a state.

"You know you are from flyover country when you are applying for a marriage license, give them your New Mexico driver's license, and they come back and say 'my supervisor says we cannot accept international driver's licenses. Do you have a New Mexico passport?' " Clarkson tweeted.

It wasn't until Clarkson went back to the clerk again, insisting that his state driver's license was a legal form of identification, that the clerk finally agreed to accept it and issue him a marriage license.

A spokeswoman for the District of Columbia Courts acknowledged the error.

"We understand that a clerk in our Marriage Bureau made a mistake regarding New Mexico's 106-year history as a state," said Leah H. Gurowitz, director of media and public relations for D.C. Courts, in an email to the Sun-News. "We very much regret the error and the slight delay it caused a New Mexico resident in applying for a DC marriage license."

Clarkson and his now-spouse, Marina, a naturalized citizen from Argentina, said the whole encounter lasted about 20 minutes and ultimately they were married with a good story to tell about the process.

Clarkson's citizenship was not the only thing questioned by the clerk. Marina Clarkson speaks fluent English, but with a slight accent. However, the clerk complimented Gavin, not Marina, for his command of the language. That left Marina wondering: "Why are you complimenting him on his English?"