CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Doesn't look like Mehringer is their first option.

It think we floated the interest on Drew and Drayton to help Coach Herman's story in singing the to new contracts this off-season. Anwar coming out with the quote of good staffs generating coaching interest confirms it for me.

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

It think we floated the interest on Drew and Drayton to help Coach Herman's story in singing the to new contracts this off-season. Anwar coming out with the quote of good staffs generating coaching interest confirms it for me.

Is this english?

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, Machinator said:

Good for Curt.

He was the head guy at Elon. I was getting tour of their facility a couple months ago when I stopped to visit with the German cousin's boy who plays some soccer at Elon. I walked up the stairs and Curt walked around the corner and both said "what are you doing here?". I first met Curt when he was the QB/TE coach and in charge of recruiting recruiting for Coach Majors, his second stint, at Pitt.

His dad, Frank, was the head coach at WVU after the Hoopies ran some failed dope named Bobby Bowden out of town.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

On 12/12/2018 at 2:35 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

There is undoubtedly a tidal wave of folk who will disagree with me, but I think Manny has the makings of a pretty good mid-major coach. He would probably fail at a bigger school, but I can see him succeeding at Temple.

Its a good spot for him. He is best at game planning and concepts type with a team. He can hire other coaches for tackling and fundamentals. I think he is going to be a good head coach/manager type.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, LTtxfan said:

Bump.... In case yah missed this article on Coaching Changes

Merry Christmas.....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

More interesting is that they may fire Major anyways... Who goes to UH now if they can Applewhite and Holgo is just fishing for a raise? 

Does it make any sense for Littrell at UNT (who plays UH in 2019) or Brown at Troy to leave after the quick trigger UH is looking to have?

Problem with firing Major now, is any recruits that signed NSD1 might be able to ask for an immediate release from UH.

Major is a good position coach; maybe a coordinator. He's a good recruiter. He got this job because he was there on staff, recruited well, could run an offense similar to what Herman ran, so didn't need to completely switch the offense, and he said he wouldn't leave for 5 years. 

I don't recall any other school having interest in him as HC. 

30 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Major is a good position coach; maybe a coordinator. He's a good recruiter. He got this job because he was there on staff, recruited well, could run an offense similar to what Herman ran, so didn't need to completely switch the offense, and he said he wouldn't leave for 5 years. 

he got the job because he is the only one that did not laugh in tilman's face when offered $1.4 million a year combined with a buyout to leave that was equal to the amount remaining on his contract plus any assistants and coordinators under contract

everyone else worth a shit openly mocked those requirements

and after last night it is pretty clear Holgerson sucks and his plateau is 8 wins at a P5 program (with a one year exception)

WVU will be glad to get rid of his ass and move on they have little experience coming back next year and what they have is not ready for prime time because Holgerson comes from the coaching stump that believes that season stats matter so you leave starters in as long as possible and enter the next year with inexperience and repeat

Major as a position coach might be interesting.  I don't think we'd want him as an OC... or at least I hope not.  He wasn't that good at it at the P5 level.  He did recruit well here, but he also did it when Mack still had a lot of good will within the state.  

13 hours ago, Snacks said:

Major is a plus recruiter. I would absolutely take him as a position coach. Plus he already has Texas connections in terms of recruiting.

Not saying it's happening but Applewhite, Beck, Beaty on the same offensive staff would be a  salty recruiting group on the offensive side of the ball. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 hours ago, South Austin said:

Going from WVa to Houston seems like an odd move, but maybe Holgo really is unhappy in Morgantown.

Holgo has finished T-5th, T-7th, T-4th, T-5th, T-2nd, T-4th, T-3rd in the Big 12. This was the year he needed to compete for a Big 12 title with the roster he had or it it's never going to happen. 

One bad year at WV and Holgo could be on the hot seat. Hell, there were discussions he was on the hot seat last year. There might be more stability at school like UH but they are in the business of firing coaches 2 years in.....so who knows. 

Edited by texasstrong12