CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

All 4 of those coaches are better than Matt Wells.  WTF Tech?

Holgerson sucks, Littrell has won nothing meaningful and Wells team thumped north Texas state in every aspect of the game and leach is still an idiot

Tech was extremely wise to avoid Littrell and Holgar and Tech will thump UH again when they meet in a couple of years with or without Holgar and will thump north Texas state in 2024 and 2025 with or without Littrell

New York Jets: Manish Meta tweets to “keep an eye” on Baylor’s Matt Rhule as the Jets look to fill their head coaching opening. Rhule has spent the past two seasons in Waco (1-11 in year one and 7-6 this past season), and prior to that was the head coach and Temple for four years (28-23 overall including 10-win seasons in 2015 and 2016). Prior to that, he spent a year on staff as the assistant offensive line coach for the NY Giants, and was a part of the Temple staff as an assistant or coordinator from 2006-11.

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think Neal Brown would be a pretty damn good hire for the Mountaineers.

Agreed. Then I thought maybe in a year, or two, he could get an SEC job but most of them seem pretty good with coaches. Although, I think Alabama may have an opening in a couple seasons. South Carolina could open. Maybe even AU as they are never happy.

Michigan LB Coach Al Washington will accept a job with Michigan’s arch rival Ohio State.

While Jim Harbaugh is vacationing after a blowout bowl loss, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day just stole away one of Michigan’s best recruiters in his 1st day on the job.

Chess. Not checkers.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:25 PM, Laxtonto said:

For those of you that have forgotten, Baylor received a NOI from the NCAA in October. There is a reason why you keep seeing Rhule’s name mentioned with all of these job openings 

That, plus he is a good coach with NFL ties. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think Alabama may have an opening in a couple seasons.

Boy, that's a hiring search team that I would not want any part of. Replacing a guy that's won 5 national championships (6 overall) for your school and is in the championship game again this year and is pretty much indisputably the best coach in college football right now? Yeah, there's so many ways you could fuck up that hire it aint even funny.

2 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Boy, that's a hiring search team that I would not want any part of. Replacing a guy that's won 5 national championships (6 overall) for your school and is in the championship game again this year and is pretty much indisputably the best coach in college football right now? Yeah, there's so many ways you could fuck up that hire it aint even funny.

If they're smart they promote from within. That way if the guy keeps the momentum going then great. If not then you can fire him or convince him to resign "in the interests of a clean start" after a year or two. The only downside is if you're too loyal to him and let him stay past the point where Saban's last class are now sophomores even if he's not doing well. You have to be prepared to make a quick decision on his longevity.

Promote from within and accept that he'll either be the long term answer (unlikely) or be prepared to make him a sacrificial lamb when nobody decent from the outside wants to be Saban's immediate replacement.

Edited by Huckleberry

3 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Jimbo just to watch Aggy reaction. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Jimbo just to watch Aggy reaction. 

Funny thing is - if that happened, it would be the first coach that has willingly left A&M for another job since... Bear Bryant went to Alabama in 58. Full circle and all that.

Edited by relapse98

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Agreed. Then I thought maybe in a year, or two, he could get an SEC job but most of them seem pretty good with coaches. Although, I think Alabama may have an opening in a couple seasons. South Carolina could open. Maybe even AU as they are never happy.

Why not both. I think he is a great hire at WVU and will likely leave to SEC if they come calling with money bags.

54 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Why not both. I think he is a great hire at WVU and will likely leave to SEC if they come calling with money bags.

We were paying Dana $3.8 MM/yr, so unless it is stupid money or a blueblood program, we have the resources and willingness (thank you Big12 $$$) to pay to keep someone we want. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitman said:

We were paying Dana $3.8 MM/yr, so unless it is stupid money or a blueblood program, we have the resources and willingness (thank you Big12 $$$) to pay to keep someone we want. 

But SEC guarantees he will have 37 assistants all making $1mil+ off the books, not to mention the players.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

If they're smart they promote from within. That way if the guy keeps the momentum going then great. If not then you can fire him or convince him to resign "in the interests of a clean start" after a year or two. The only downside is if you're too loyal to him and let him stay past the point where Saban's last class are now sophomores even if he's not doing well. You have to be prepared to make a quick decision on his longevity.

Promote from within and accept that he'll either be the long term answer (unlikely) or be prepared to make him a sacrificial lamb when nobody decent from the outside wants to be Saban's immediate replacement.

So you think Dabo won't want the challenge right away and would rather be the guy who replaces the legend? Because Dabo will be the first call.  Come home and all that.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So you think Dabo won't want the challenge right away and would rather be the guy who replaces the legend? Because Dabo will be the first call.  Come home and all that.

I've been saying it will be Dabo for years now, but he has built such a program at Clemson, I'm not so sure now.  He may turn out to be the "Roy Williams" (remember he didn't replace Dean), and have to come save the program if the in-house replacement fails.

15 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

This exactly. I don’t think Dabo is the first replacement. But he will eventually be the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I'm Dabo, I'd rather walk into a program that just won 87 national championships in a row than whatever the "replacement" does in 3-4 seasons.  Unlike Mack, I don't think Saban will leave Alabama with so much rot under the floorboards that Dabo would immediately fall into the basement walking into the door.  It's hard to say if there's a Lincoln Riley/Ryan Day/Jimbo Fisher waiting in the wings already at Bama.

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Michigan LB Coach Al Washington will accept a job with Michigan’s arch rival Ohio State.
While Jim Harbaugh is vacationing after a blowout bowl loss, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day just stole away one of Michigan’s best recruiters in his 1st day on the job.

Chess. Not checkers

"Al Washington might have the most unique perspective of anyone on the Michigan football team when it comes to its rivalry with Ohio State.

Washington, the Wolverines' first-year defensive assistant, grew up in Columbus, Ohio. His father, also named Al Washington, played for OSU and its infamous head coach Woody Hayes.  And yes, Washington candidly admits, he wanted to play for the Buckeyes growing up.  Michigan linebackers coach Al Washington: "I mean, yeah," As you grow up, from an early age, that's a high standard. So, yeah, I would say I did. But it wasn't like an obsession.  But absolutely. You carry that with you a little bit."

Washington ended up attending, and playing, at Boston College, where he later returned to coach alongside Michigan's current defensive coordinator Don Brown.