CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If I were USC, I'd let KK interview for HC jobs but they're well within their rights to hold him.  They made a commitment to him and he signed a contract.  Part of that commitment is USC chose not to hire another OC.  How would everyone fell is the fired KK a moth after hiring him because a better OC came along?  Same difference.

I don't have a problem either.  Contracts are made to be broken, that is what the penalty is for.  No one is legally bound to employ or be an employee because of a contract, just pay the penalty.  Just as KK would expect to be paid if USC fired him.

Rooting for chaos.  I don't know if KK ever wielded ridiculous power in a player transfer from Tech, but if so the karma is a bitch.

We have two winning scenarios in the USC/KK situation.  Either he gets an NFL gig and pays his own buyout, and USC is scrambling to find another offensive coordinator.  Or some NFL teams really want to interview him and USC remains steadfast in blocking that process, and USC is left in 2019 with a bitter OC who's already demonstrated that he has eyes elsewhere. 

40 minutes ago, South Austin said:

We have two winning scenarios in the USC/KK situation.  Either he gets an NFL gig and pays his own buyout, and USC is scrambling to find another offensive coordinator.  Or some NFL teams really want to interview him and USC remains steadfast in blocking that process, and USC is left in 2019 with a bitter OC who's already demonstrated that he has eyes elsewhere. 

The likelihood of at least one of these occurring would seem considerable.

48 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't have a problem either.  Contracts are made to be broken, that is what the penalty is for.  No one is legally bound to employ or be an employee because of a contract, just pay the penalty.  Just as KK would expect to be paid if USC fired him.

Rooting for chaos.  I don't know if KK ever wielded ridiculous power in a player transfer from Tech, but if so the karma is a bitch.

He did hold power over a transfer in the Baker Mayfield case.  Mayfield wasn't even on scholarship and KK was trying to prevent him from transferring.  Karma is indeed a bitch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Clicking on the links above makes it look like Day is not sitting around and keeping Urbs' people in place.  Schiano may be SOL if temple doesn't want him.

Speaks volumes about Meyer's/Day's opinions on Grinch if they were willing to let him walk, while knowing they were canning Shiano.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Speaks volumes about Meyer's/Day's opinions on Grinch if they were willing to let him walk, while knowing they were canning Shiano.

There are reports that Grinch's recruiting efforts were much less than desired.  As in, he didn't even stay in touch with a 5* 2020 DB from Texas who has very high interest in Ohio State.

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

Thinking of guys that could call plays or be a better eye-in-the-sky than Beck. I don't have strong opinions of these guys. Have Fedora, Canada or Tee Martin landed new jobs yet? I guess Locksley official takes over for Maryland tomorrow, right?

Tee Martin wouldn't be an improvement over Beck.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Are you sure? He certainly had down year this year but he's an ace west coast recruiter. Not lobbying, I'm just looking for guys that fit the profile that haven't found new jobs yet.

He's a fantastic recruiter and poor playcaller. Beck 2.0 as an OC.

Obviously he would be great as a WRs coach / passing game coordinator.

Just now, Machinator said:

He's a fantastic recruiter and poor playcaller. Beck 2.0 as an OC.

Obviously he would be great as a WRs coach / passing game coordinator.

What do you think of the other two? I know Canada has a reputation of being difficult, but he can probably be trusted from a scheme standpoint. Fedora seems well liked but with more of a track record than Beck.

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

What do you think of the other two? I know Canada has a reputation of being difficult, but he can probably be trusted from a scheme standpoint. Fedora seems well liked but with more of a track record than Beck.

I like Canada. He reminds me a lot of Harsin, actually. I'm not sure if Herman would look in his direction.

I don't know much about Fedora as an OC, honestly. I just remember people floating his name as a "safe" hire after Strong and being thoroughly unexcited.

• Like 1

What are the odds that Michigan guys are jumping ship because they think Harbaugh might be done in Ann Arbor?  If I was an assistant, regardless of whether my HC was going to be fired or not, I would almost always be looking to jump from a stale situation to one with a new HC (if I wasn't being promoted to HC at some school).  Day's shelf life is 4 years.  Who knows how long Harbaugh is going to be at UM?  As an assistant you might buy yourself an extra year or two of paychecks by making even a lateral move.

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

What are the odds that Michigan guys are jumping ship because they think Harbaugh might be done in Ann Arbor?  If I was an assistant, regardless of whether my HC was going to be fired or not, I would almost always be looking to jump from a stale situation to one with a new HC (if I wasn't being promoted to HC at some school).  Day's shelf life is 4 years.  Who knows how long Harbaugh is going to be at UM?  As an assistant you might buy yourself an extra year or two of paychecks by making even a lateral move.

Could be that.  Or could be that he's insufferable to work for. 

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Da fuq are you talking about?

I'm guessing it's a joke about the fact that your school employed a serial wife-beater and covered it up which caused your former head coach to fake another health condition to get out of a challenging situation. But I'm just spitballing here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I'm guessing it's a joke about the fact that your school employed a serial wife-beater and covered it up which caused your former head coach to fake another health condition to get out of a challenging situation. But I'm just spitballing here. 

Well don't forget they also employed (until today) a guy that couldn't get a head coaching job because he helped cover up kid rape.