Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

He should have expected to answer those questions since he had fired Smith.  

Absolutely correct.  Which is why he is in this mess.  He didn't think that itthrough.  A better response would have been to deflect rather than lie about it.  That was the point I was trying to make (and apparently failed at).

54 minutes ago, elnimo said:

Absolutely correct.  Which is why he is in this mess.  He didn't think that itthrough.  A better response would have been to deflect rather than lie about it.  That was the point I was trying to make (and apparently failed at).

His problem is that he doesn't have Chris Del Conte as his AD, or anyone else with enough sense to realize he needed a sound bite for ZachGate.

Here's my worthless take:  Meyer wasn't properly prepared for the press conference and he made a mistake by lying.  He appeared to be genuinely caught off guard by the question, but he shouldn't have been.  This goes to he lack of preparation.  That said, I consider the infraction - getting an answer wrong in a press conference - minor.  The mob mentality wants to pin the guy as favoring his wife-beating assistant coach over condemning domestic violence, but that's not what this is.  There's too much mob-mentality BS going on today.  I'd like to see the tide turn on that and maybe this will be the case.  If he gets fired over this I think it will be a case of tOSU catering to the mob mentality and making a PR move.  The punishment will far outweigh the crime.  A lot of people will be hurt by it, including the university and everyone associated with it; a lot of innocent people.

• Fuck You 15

23 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Here's my worthless take:  Meyer wasn't properly prepared for the press conference and he made a mistake by lying.  He appeared to be genuinely caught off guard by the question, but he shouldn't have been.  This goes to he lack of preparation.  That said, I consider the infraction - getting an answer wrong in a press conference - minor.  The mob mentality wants to pin the guy as favoring his wife-beating assistant coach over condemning domestic violence, but that's not what this is.  There's too much mob-mentality BS going on today.  I'd like to see the tide turn on that and maybe this will be the case.  If he gets fired over this I think it will be a case of tOSU catering to the mob mentality and making a PR move.  The punishment will far outweigh the crime.  A lot of people will be hurt by it, including the university and everyone associated with it; a lot of innocent people.

What Meyer did, warrants him losing his job.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

If it's not Urban favoring his wife-beating assistant coach over condemning domestic violence, then what is it? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

What Meyer did, warrants him losing his job.  

I disagree.  This is a guy who is probably the second best head football coach of this generation making millions of dollars a year.  He has an entire staff of people and an entire program and fan base relying on him who would be hurt if he was terminated.  All because of a press conference gaffe?  You have to be perfect in this world or you pay the ultimate price?  I'm sorry, I just don't think that's the way it should be.

• Fuck You 12

18 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I disagree.  This is a guy who is probably the second best head football coach of this generation making millions of dollars a year.  He has an entire staff of people and an entire program and fan base relying on him who would be hurt if he was terminated.  All because of a press conference gaffe?  You have to be perfect in this world or you pay the ultimate price?  I'm sorry, I just don't think that's the way it should be.

Why on earth do you think this is about a press conference answer and not sheltering a wife beater?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

You take his salary, public status, and success as allowing him more leeway. I think it means he should be held to a higher standard. At the very minimum to the standard he claims to hold his players to. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Dude we are way past the press conference. It's a decade of Meyer keeping a domestic abuser on his staff that is the problem while spouting 'treat women with respect' as a core value that is a problem. 

Was the coach ever convicted of a domestic violence crime?  Was he ever even formally charged?  It does appear he put his hands on his wife, which is bad, I agree wholeheartedly with that.  But I also believe in forgiveness and reconciliation and second chances.  If that's what Urban was doing in his best judgment then I don't fault him for that.

• Fuck You 12

18 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

You take his salary, public status, and success as allowing him more leeway. I think it means he should be held to a higher standard. At the very minimum to the standard he claims to hold his players to. 

Not more leeway; paying a much heavier price and with a lot of collateral damage.

• Fuck You 3

19 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Was the coach ever convicted of a domestic violence crime?  Was he ever even formally charged?  It does appear he put his hands on his wife, which is bad, I agree wholeheartedly with that.  But I also believe in forgiveness and reconciliation and second chances.  If that's what Urban was doing in his best judgment then I don't fault him for that.

Holy.  Shit.

• Like 1

I laughed. I guess Urban is taking the LeBron "not one, not two, not three, ..." approach in the number of chances he'll give Zach Smith. 

There's nothing showing any forgiveness or reconciliation by anyone in this whole ordeal. In almost the decade in which is was going on. First incident in 2009, tipping point 6 years later in 2015. How many years exactly does Smith need to stop hitting/choking/cutting his wife? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Come on, that's not a wrong answer. That was a lie.

It was both.  But I think it was more of a mistake than a lie because he just fired the guy and he's not stupid enough to think that all of the truth was going to come out.  But even if it was a lie I just don't think it's as huge of a crime as most people are making it out to be.

• Fuck You 3

47 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

A lack of preparation doesn't manifest itself with a quote impugning the reporting of McMurphy. Had UM just told a little lie I could squint at your take, but he kept digging in his response and made the lie bigger and bigger. UM was pissed he got called on his keeping smith employed long after incidents took place, he is used to being God in Ohio and didn't like be questioned by those beneath him.

23 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Okayyyyyyy? Did you miss the whole this guy got a DUI that was wiped clean by an tOSU alum who was a judge? Because it would make sense that the Columbus legal system seems to have excused away everything this guy has done. And it wasn't one instance of abuse. So you believe in triple and quadruple chances?

Edited by mdmost

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Okayyyyyyy? Did you miss the whole this guy got a DUI that was wiped clean by an tOSU alum who was a judge? Because it would make sense that the Columbus legal system seems to have excused away everything this guy has done.

Got nothing to do with the domestic violence situation, for one.  And the conspiracy theory stuff - no way.  The judge happened to have a tOSU degree.  Lots of judges in Ohio do.  Is that why Smith got the result he did?

• Fuck You 2

25 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

"With great power comes great responsibility."

You know who said that?  Spiderman.  You seriously want to argue with Spiderman?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

A lack of preparation doesn't manifest itself with a quote impugning the reporting of McMurphy. Had UM just told a little lie I could squint at your take, but he kept digging in his response and made the lie bigger and bigger. UM was pissed he got called on his keeping smith employed long after incidents took place, he is used to being God in Ohio and didn't like be questioned by those beneath him.

That's a fair point.  I don't know that it comes from a God complex necessarily.  I don't like being questioned or called on the carpet either.  No one does.  Still, yes, he did make it worse.

• Fuck You 2

25 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

What reason do you have to believe that what Urban doing was in the name of "forgiveness and reconciliation and second chances?"  As opposed to "best interest of the football program?"

Why did Urban fire Smith on the same day that reports of the 2009 and 2015 incidents surfaced?  That doesn't sound like he was very interested in "forgiveness and reconciliation and second chances."

That's a fair point.  I don't know that it comes from a God complex necessarily.  I don't like being questioned or called on the carpet either.  No one does.  Still, yes, he did make it worse.

Texas Forever: Clear eyes. Full heart. Can't lose.

Ohio Forever: Red eyes. Full denial. Can't bruise.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What reason do you have to believe that what Urban doing was in the name of "forgiveness and reconciliation and second chances?"  As opposed to "best interest of the football program?"

Why did Urban fire Smith on the same day that reports of the 2009 and 2015 incidents surfaced?  That doesn't sound like he was very interested in "forgiveness and reconciliation and second chances."

I read that the Meyers were involved in the Smiths' counseling and it appeared they were pretty involved with them and the situation and trying to help them.  Smith was with Urban for a long time so I would think they had a fairly deep relationship.  You have the Earle Bruce connection.  Meyer is not an idiot.  He knew what the PR implications were of leaving Smith on his staff in the face of these domestic violence issues.  He stuck his neck out for the guy.  We'll find out more about why he did it, but he might have thought the allegations were not as serious as they are being taken by the public or he though Smith was worth the risk either as a coach or a person or both.

• Fuck You 3

I read that the Meyers were involved in the Smiths' counseling and it appeared they were pretty involved with them and the situation and trying to help them.  Smith was with Urban for a long time so I would think they had a fairly deep relationship.  You have the Earle Bruce connection.  Meyer is not an idiot.  He knew what the PR implications were of leaving Smith on his staff in the face of these domestic violence issues.  He stuck his neck out for the guy.  We'll find out more about why he did it, but he might have thought the allegations were not as serious as they are being taken by the public or he though Smith was worth the risk either as a coach or a person or both.

No, but he is a megalomaniac.

40 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

This logic is so fucking stupid it hurts.

• Like 2

Hey, whatever happened to the "bitch was drunk, and pissed the fuck OFF about him coming home smelling like that redheaded waitress - again - and took off on him, so he grabbed her arms and held her far enough away that she couldn't knee him in the nuts, then threw her on the bed" line?

The overall plot here seems to be that all of them are assholes, and they all deserve whatever the fuck happens. More revelations at Elevenews, stay tuned.

4 hours ago, elnimo said:

I should have put that in quotations.  I meant that he wasn't expecting to answer those questions.  Frankly it doesn't matter because he should have deflected.  Instead, he was an asshole and now he's paying the price.

Sometimes "Karma", is not a very tasty snack to digest...

30 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Art Briles never raped anybody. He shouldn't have been fired, either.

Oh lorty... (I get your point), but it's crazy in thinking Tennessee of the SEC, wanted nothing to do with a coach who might have been involved in wrongdoings; while Ohio State is looking for excuses to keep a coach likely involed in cover-ups...

41 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

He "stuck his neck out for the guy" as long as it was kept under wraps.  The very day that his actions became public, he fired him.

To me, that's not sticking your neck out for a guy.

That's cockroaches scurrying when the light comes on.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Not to self: Don’t inject a conversation with

”Here’s my worthless take”. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

If this is true, then it blows away any notion that Meyer had any claim to ignorance or plausible deniability for said beatings. If they were involved in the counseling, then not only did he know this was a systemic issue well beyond just two police reports, (one which he claimed not to know of until recently) but it also means he had enough information to be fully prepared for his press conference and have a better answer than just lying right to the face of the entire Big 10 media room. You can't have it both ways, dude. Either he was had plausible deniability for his complete ignorance, or he believed in second chances and was actively working to rehabilitate Smith and chose to overlook his criminal behavior for the sake of forgiveness. Which makes the lies even more egregious. So which one is it, as you've argued both in this thread.

By the way, your hinting that Meyer should keep his job because of the economic impact of many families and a region of the country several times in this thread is fucking disgusting and far beyond the pale of acceptance for any human being who considers themselves even remotely moral. Happy Valley and Waco see your point, however. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

10 minutes of Hail Marys and he's ready for a redemption gig at Notre Dame.

There was a brief period of a few weeks when we thought we had the better side of the deal hiring Charlie Weis over Urban Meyer (who listened to ND's sales pitch before choosing Florida).  We did not but at least the IF ONLY URBAN 😢 era of NDfandom is over

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games