Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

Yesterday afternoon whilst driving around on a multitude of errands I was scrolling through some of the national sports shows on satellite radio to see what legs, if any, the Tom Herman story still had. The answer was a resounding none. Even SEC sycophant Barrett Sallee, who has poked at Texas numerous times, did not mention it in the hour or so I listed to ESPNU while they were spending most of the time discussing Urbs. I can only surmise that from a national perspective, this story died about the time Brett McMurphy issued an unequivocal denial that Herman was the source and the only ones still talking about it are Buckeyes, Longhorns, Aggies, and Sooners. Given that it appears Jeff Snook has never issued a rebuttal, McMurphy's text was the journalistic equivalent of a "pantsing" of Snook. 

With all of the information swirling around over the last couple of weeks, I have only been able to make 2 broad conclusions that may or may not be true

1. Ohio State is busy doing whatever they can to "legitimize" keeping Urban Meyer. Since there is no "smoking gun" that indicates Urban completely buried this, they are trying to figure out who the buck stops with. My guess is they will point to an internal compliance person or attorney who told them that if they fired Zach Smith, they could get sued and that was all they needed to justify the status quo. Compliance people and/or attorneys are expendable because they don't bring the University $ and no one likes them.

2. Urban Meyer is bad at being a human being. Even if technically he did what he was obligated to do, shouldn't we be about more (Forget whether he should have employed him in the first place for a second). How hard was it to say after the 2015 incident "Get help or you can't continue to work here." His wife Shelly was a psychiatric nurse...they couldn't have found a program that could have helped. The Meyers and the rest of The Ohio State University didn't give two shits about Zach Smith so long as he continued to recruit great talent and coach 'em up. They only dealt with the issue when it became a festering problem and it was to cut him loose. Had Urban said in the B1G Media Days that we had told Zach Smith to get help, we pushed him towards a program to deal with it, and told him unequivocally that any more incidents would result in his dismissal, not only would they actually have looked and acted like adults, but this issue would be gone and the DJ Durkin issue would have the full spotlight instead of having to share time with this one. As it is, because nobody gave a damn about this when it was going on, now everybody gives a damn about it and could conclude rightly, as I have, that Urban sucks at being a human being (and you could probably throw Shelley in there as well). 

Anyway, that's aIl I got on this. Will now wait to see whether conclusion #1 comes to fruition or not. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sejjr said:

But Snook said he was confirming with his source....then later said his source confirmed it. Is that not enough to make it true? 

For the record, I am waiting on confirmation from my source that Jeff Snook is a pederast and served 6 months in Chino for exposing himself to an eight-year-old. 

See all those "Likes" you got?  That's as good as confirmation from your source.  Run it!

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

When Meyer coached the Gators, some of us in the state media used to have a saying: “Urban will say whatever he needs to say to get him through the next five minutes of the press conference — no matter if it’s true or not.”

Sadly, this is why Meyer is in the predicament he’s in. If he had just told the truth at the press conference during Big Ten Media Days a couple of weeks ago, he wouldn’t be on administrative leave and would be in relatively good standing as the coach of the Buckeyes. 

Would this be a case where I can say that Urban was hoisted by his own petard?

I'm enjoying the possibilities of how the circus explodes if Ohio State cuts Urban loose. I am positive LSU would be the first school to call his agent. If Urban could end up at LSU, it would mean Urban and Saban got to slug it out every season, One of Urban/LSU's first games would be against Ton Herman in Austin, aggy would get knocked down a notch. Recruiting in Texas would spin off its axis.

Oh, the possibilities.

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Could LSU afford Urban Meyer?

Sure. Their financial problems are on the academic side and entirely related to a dysfunctional legislature. LSU athletics is one of the few athletics programs that subsidizes the academic side of the institution. Their athletics program is running a healthy surplus.

Plus, after the sorry state of their program over the past few years, the fact they haven't been competitive against Alabama in a while, that Georgia is rising as the only real competitor to Saban for a run at the conference, and that if Orgeron loses to Jimbo this season, the fans are going to go apeshit, LSU has motive and means to bring Urban into the circus.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I'm enjoying the possibilities of how the circus explodes if Ohio State cuts Urban loose. I am positive LSU would be the first school to call his agent. If Urban could end up at LSU, it would mean Urban and Saban got to slug it out every season,

Urban doesn't want to do that.  Much more likely he'd end up at U$C.

44 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

It's $8.5 if let go in calendar year 2018, $6.0 if let go in calendar year 2019.

https://ath-ems.lsu.edu/prr/contracts/Employment Contracts/Football/Ed Orgeron 11.28.16.pdf

Weird. By virtue of his communication style and demeanor, I would have expected Orgeron to be a much more shrewd negotiator. He might need to call Jimbo to help on his next contract.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Weird. By virtue of his communication style and demeanor, I would have expected Orgeron to be a much more shrewd negotiator. He might need to call Jimbo to help on his next contract.

Jimbo doesn't consult for position coach jobs.  

29 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Weird. By virtue of his communication style and demeanor, I would have expected Orgeron to be a much more shrewd negotiator. 

Ed Orgeron got someone to pay him millions of dollars per year to be a head coach in the SEC, and you don't think he's a shrewd negotiator????

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Actually, he has shown questionable ethics, with numerous edits of his posts after the fact, with no attribution that the post was edited.   The biggest example being his post that Zach was arrested for domestic violence.  Then he changed it to something like investigated .  And so the comment by Urban, per the Buckeye version, was Urban denying the McMurphy story that that Urban knew of an arrest for domestic violence (rather than an accusation by his now ex-spouse).    Then there is the fact that McMurphy reported that Zach had caused a problem - and an officer had to intervene in his dropping his son off at his wife's home.   Turns out, it was not a violation, but some cop with the redass, mad at him for not obeying the cop telling him that he could not do that.  Cops do not trump Domestic Court orders.     So this is a cluster fuck of reporting any way you look at.  

Was  Urban replying to a statement about McMurphy's story of an arrest?   I have no idea.   But no matter who you believe, if Urban did not report what he knew when he should have, his ass needs to be gone.   Think what you want, but I'd be hesitant to bet on McMurphy's veracity with real money.    He's trying to be the guy who uncovered a scandal and who got Urban fired, and to make bank on a better job.....or at least more clicks.

Fuck off with your bullshit.

Heres what Urban said:

In front of the assembled media in Chicago, Meyer said he knew about the 2009 incident, in which Smith was arrested for aggravated battery on a pregnant victim. As for 2015? “I got a text late last night something happened in 2015,” Meyer said that day. “And there was nothing. Once again, there's nothing—once again, I don't know who creates a story like that.”

There it is: The coach flat-out denied knowing anything about 2015. He doubled down a few hours later in a smaller media session, when Cleveland.com columnist Doug Lesmerises asked the coach to clarify his earlier words. Lesmerises took Meyer through almost every element of his earlier statement, piece by piece. “I can’t say it didn’t happen because I wasn’t there,” Meyer said of the ’15 allegations. “I was never told about anything. … I never had a conversation about it.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/03/urban-meyer-statement-tweet-zach-smith-interview-media-days

Urban Meyer is full of shit and it had nothing to do with whether or not McMurphy reported Smith was 'arrested' or 'under investigation'.  Meyer admits that he knew about the 2015 abuse allegations and says he 'reported them'.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:11 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

He didn’t kick anyone in the balls. Nothing he stated about offensive ineptitude and putting players in the best position (that aren’t defenders) to get drafted isn’t wrong.  

But please feel free to continue pulling the wool over your own eyes and crying in the corner.  Pussy.

And the part about him saying he'd be taking more recruits with him to Ohio State? #FahQ

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

I'm enjoying the possibilities of how the circus explodes if Ohio State cuts Urban loose. I am positive LSU would be the first school to call his agent. If Urban could end up at LSU, it would mean Urban and Saban got to slug it out every season, One of Urban/LSU's first games would be against Ton Herman in Austin, aggy would get knocked down a notch. Recruiting in Texas would spin off its axis.

Oh, the possibilities.

Also keep in mind, LSU’s permanent cross division game is......yep Florida. So we would get Urban -Saban, Urban-Jimbo and Urban-UF every year, oh lord ESPN/CBS would love that. 

Edited by jdhorn92

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Dennis, you really think she’s some kind of angel, don’t you? Why don’t you ask her OWN MOTHER what she thinks of her daughter. #CrazyDrunk But, I’ll bet you blame it on Urban, you lazy hack.

0 replies0 retweets0 likes
-----------------------------

The above was the first response to Dodd's post.

Retweet

• Like 1

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games