All Things Brisket

kevwun

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Easiest way to tell when you go to slice it, is to have pre-sliced a corner before cooking. 

Then there’s no question once it’s done. 

I used to take a pic of my meat when it's raw.  So I can reference it to check the grain direction after my meat is coated in bark.

Now I just know....no pics.

It doesn't matter which way you slice a flat if the end product is cubes, which was the plan all along. I was trying to replicate this and obviously it was a colossal fail on multiple levels, but once they were sauced, battered, and fried they were pretty well received. I'm going to try it again the next time I see whole packers on sale.

The points he is using in this video look like flats, which is why I bought flats.

Just threw this 12 pounder on for tomorrow.  

Question- last time the flat was drier than I was hoping for.  I'm going to cook it at 250.

Is there anything I can do to help it retain some moisture?  I plan on spritzing. 

should I put a loose piece of foil around the flat after the bark has set?

foil boat?

thx

PXL_20230908_140302210.thumb.jpg.eb10651e9a221d0ef831c95aea3dec39.jpg

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Just threw this 12 pounder on for tomorrow.  

Question- last time the flat was drier than I was hoping for.  I'm going to cook it at 250.

Is there anything I can do to help it retain some moisture?  I plan on spritzing. 

should I put a loose piece of foil around the flat after the bark has set?

foil boat?

thx

PXL_20230908_140302210.thumb.jpg.eb10651e9a221d0ef831c95aea3dec39.jpg

re: foil like terry black style?

45 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

My brisket has been on for about 6.5 hours and already at 185.  Cooking it at 250-270.  Guess it won't take as long as I thought.

I tend to cook around that temp and I’ve definitely hit stalls at really weird times before, but YMMV. Sometimes I’ll blow right through 160-170 and still end up taking around the same time. I can only think of a couple times where it’s actually finished in less than like 10.5 hours.  

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I tend to cook around that temp and I’ve definitely hit stalls at really weird times before, but YMMV. Sometimes I’ll blow right through 160-170 and still end up taking around the same time. I can only think of a couple times where it’s actually finished in less than like 10.5 hours.  

Same here.  No telling what temperature it will happen at -- but there is always a stall.

7 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

I think the foil boat just takes the place of the wrap.  I'm guessing 170ish you could foil boat.  I'm not sure if it makes a big difference what temp if the bark is set, etc.  But I have a long history of mid briskets soooooooo.

Yeah, I’ve gotten in the habit of smoking on the WSM for 6 hours from 6p-12a and foil boat regardless of the temp at midnight and throw in the oven at 225 overnight. 
done early to mid morning. Let it rest in a cooler until the temp drops to 170 (about 2 hours) and then just throw it back in the oven on “warm” (170 degrees) until ready to serve.

I’m 4 hours in to that process tonight targeting serving just before kickoff tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

For the last Friday of my 40s, I got my brisket on.  I wasn't pleased with the quality of the brisket I found, but, apparently. there's a bit of a shortage.  But the cook was good.  I also found some strips of pork belly, which I just hit with rib rub and tossed on for about 4 or 5 hours.  Delicious all the way around.

b65a0234d485ba5032ba451def8a3ff7.jpgc8613010338c91bd16e531c609b25c9f.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

For the last Friday of my 40s, I got my brisket on.  I wasn't pleased with the quality of the brisket I found, but, apparently. there's a bit of a shortage.  But the cook was good.  I also found some strips of pork belly, which I just slathered with rib rub and tossed on for about 4 or 5 hours.  Delicious all the way around.

b65a0234d485ba5032ba451def8a3ff7.jpgc8613010338c91bd16e531c609b25c9f.jpg

HBD

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I had to scroll way too far back to find this Brisket thread.  Okay going to go home over Christmas and smoke some briskets (that's the plan) anyway I have a question for those of you who hold in an ice chest after smoking them.  Once you pull them how long do you let them rest before putting them in the ice chest as a warmer?  Or do you pull them and go straight into the ice chest?    Also have any of you pulled (I usullay use paper to wrap) then wrapped them in plastic wrap before going in the ice chest?  I assume folks do this to prevent big clean up issues.

I have seen several restaurants with their briskets paper wrapped then wrapped in plastic when they pull them from the warmer.

How long do you usually leave your brisket in the ice chest?  I'm hoping to pull it at night say 9:00-10:00 and put it in the ice chest.  Can I leave it until morning? I would assume it would be fine.  Thanks

Me neither.  It’s about time for a new oven in the not too distant future. I’m hoping to find one more accommodating.

Cooler works though, so theres that at least.

I can’t remember but I thought someone was going to try vac sealing once rested, then into a sous vide setup as a warmer. If there was and they did, I don’t remember the outcome. 

17 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

I been pulling and resting in the oven but lowest oven temp is 170 and honestly I think that's maybe too warm from the research I've done.  I know most places have professional warmers at 150 but that's not an option for me. 

Some ovens have a function where you hold the bake button and you can offset the display temp by 30 degrees. Ex: mine goes to 170 as the lowest but I use the setting to drop it to -30 and it’s worked pretty well. Idk if yours does this though

5 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Some ovens have a function where you hold the bake button and you can offset the display temp by 30 degrees. Ex: mine goes to 170 as the lowest but I use the setting to drop it to -30 and it’s worked pretty well. Idk if yours does this though

I tried this with my older oven.  The problem was there was still a pretty big temperature swing.  My new oven will hold steady at 145F but shuts off after 3 hours.  Still, I almost always opt for a preheated cooler, particularly if I'm holding for more than three hours and will be away from the house and am unable to restart the warming cycle on the oven.

21 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

I had to scroll way too far back to find this Brisket thread.  Okay going to go home over Christmas and smoke some briskets (that's the plan) anyway I have a question for those of you who hold in an ice chest after smoking them.  Once you pull them how long do you let them rest before putting them in the ice chest as a warmer?  Or do you pull them and go straight into the ice chest?    Also have any of you pulled (I usullay use paper to wrap) then wrapped them in plastic wrap before going in the ice chest?  I assume folks do this to prevent big clean up issues.

I have seen several restaurants with their briskets paper wrapped then wrapped in plastic when they pull them from the warmer.

How long do you usually leave your brisket in the ice chest?  I'm hoping to pull it at night say 9:00-10:00 and put it in the ice chest.  Can I leave it until morning? I would assume it would be fine.  Thanks

Chud or one of the YT folks have talked about the importance of letting it cool some off the pit before putting it in the cooler. Guessing there is a temp you want to hold on to.

Goldees i THINK does that double wrap to hold, or used to at one point.

you can rest in the oven at the lowest it will go. this gives me more faith in the temp hold - then you pull and cool on the counter. i always do this, mini oven will go down to 140 but reg oven is 170.

it makes a huge difference to rest it vs just smoke/cool/cut i believe.

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

How long do you think you can/should hold a brisket in a prewarmed ice chest. 

ive held for up to 10-12 and had fine luck. i know there is a point of diminishing returns but if you are doing it 10-12 should be absolutely fine

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

ive held for up to 10-12 and had fine luck. i know there is a point of diminishing returns but if you are doing it 10-12 should be absolutely fine
I can't remember if it was that John Lewis interview, but I recall that he or Aaron said that they saw diminishing returns past the 11 hour mark.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The rest on the counter helps set the bark by cooling off and letting it harden up a bit. Like said above it just turns to mush if you put it away hot.  It took 8-12 hours to get it to 205, so an hour on the counter doesn’t cool it all the way down in the least. 
I usually cut the butcher paper to vent it while resting it on the counter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, dcbc said:
19 hours ago, NoName said:

I can't remember if it was that John Lewis interview, but I recall that he or Aaron said that they saw diminishing returns past the 11 hour mark.

i'd believe it and they have forgotten more about brisket than i'll ever remember haha

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...