All Things Brisket

kevwun

8 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

I've never messed with tallow stuff.  I'm not trying to mess with my tried n true methods.

I held off for a while because reasons.  What a fool I was.  Toss your good trimmings in a pot on the stove and render it out.  Strain it into a zip lock, let it cool, clip the corner and pipe that beefy icing onto your brisket like a cinnamon roll while it's resting or when you boat/wrap it.  It's amazing and totally worth the effort.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

I held off for a while because reasons.  What a fool I was.  Toss your good trimmings in a pot on the stove and render it out.  Strain it into a zip lock, let it cool, clip the corner and pipe that beefy icing onto your brisket like a cinnamon roll while it's resting or when you boat/wrap it.  It's amazing and totally worth the effort.

This… huge positive for very little actual effort. It’s so easy to make and you can store it for a long time. I took an old olive oil bottle, poked a hole In the top, and just reheat it in a pot of water (think reheating syrup bottles)  to liquify it so I can give it a little skeet skeet all over my brisket before wrapping.

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2

What's the most briskets you've cooked at one time.  I'm committed to six this weekend and I think I might split that up over two days.  Not sure my smokers will even do that comfortably without rotatiing them a bunch. Definitely don't want to mess up folks Easter briskets. 

On 3/26/2023 at 11:04 PM, UTexasFight said:

I used to be Team wrap in butcher paper shortly before coming out of the stall. on the smoker the entire way.

I’ve now signed on with Team Foil Boat,  Oven finish so I can sleep.

Put on smoker at 5pm Saturday (18 lb, trimmed down to 13 lb). Smoked until ~11. Boat time in the oven at 225 (runs at about 215 actual) with small water pan. Sleep for ~8 hours. Done at ~7am.

rest in cooler for 2 hours.

back in oven at 170 (runs closer to 160) until served at 5pm Sunday.

8CB508C4-18F1-4461-B582-1D39D356A176.thumb.jpeg.24af99ad5a8946d9c5aa71d07a259c6f.jpeg

B23F617C-9C4E-4C5F-9BE8-F70C9644B9E3.thumb.jpeg.7d65d384f0d4ca38216e3ffafc9b130d.jpeg

7A2456BD-5E90-479E-A7B4-CB4A9B496DAE.thumb.jpeg.c6559c4041bf0f6b6940e4875a11daf0.jpeg

B8492CC1-90BD-423F-832F-ED67D52F8883.thumb.jpeg.661efa0ae80552bfb177ed7aff07545d.jpeg

52E5497F-B72A-4F25-9A7A-CDF108A1AABC.thumb.jpeg.4644fac4857bad2a031f451511d555c1.jpeg

Did you wrap in the oven or just leave in the foil boat?

Lulz made the mistake of reading an article on the foil boat.  I hate people.

smoked fat cap up , and the meat side will not have bark or at least the bark will be soft.
I think if I try this I will go fat cap down and be sure to keep the meat side basted ever so often.
I say this because usually after my brisket is done resting my what fat cap is left I scrap away.

• Rage+1 2

I don't know what possessed me, but I decided to do a brisket with the foil boat to see what all the fuss is about.  This is going to take the record for the most stubborn brisket I've ever cooked.  It seems like it stalls every 10 degrees or so ever since it hit 165.  I've bumped the pit temp a few times, but I don't want to go too high since it's not fully wrapped (I'm not a hot and fast cooking guy).  I'm over 19 hours at this point.  I've checked the probes and they're fine (I have two in it at the moment. 

Edited by dcbc

question about holding at home. talking about doing chopped brisket after church for a decent sized group of family/friends...

if i wanted to "hold" it in my oven or a cooler, if i chopped it, put it in a hotel pan, covered the top w/ 2 layers of plastic wrap + foil do we think that would work out ok? basically holding it either in a pre-warmed cooler w/ towels or oven

1 hour ago, NoName said:

question about holding at home. talking about doing chopped brisket after church for a decent sized group of family/friends...

if i wanted to "hold" it in my oven or a cooler, if i chopped it, put it in a hotel pan, covered the top w/ 2 layers of plastic wrap + foil do we think that would work out ok? basically holding it either in a pre-warmed cooler w/ towels or oven

Ideally, you'd chop it right before you serve it.  It's going to retain heat and moisture better that way.  If I were going to chop it before hand and try to hold it warm, I'd be tempted to put some liquid in the pan and wrap it up as tightly as possible with foil/plastic/both.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Ideally, you'd chop it right before you serve it.  It's going to retain heat and moisture better that way.  If I were going to chop it before hand and try to hold it warm, I'd be tempted to put some liquid in the pan and wrap it up as tightly as possible with foil/plastic/both.

yeah, guessing that is what i am going to end up doing...thank you!

have church, then serving it to folks...want to make it as easy as possible.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

It would be fine.  Yes in a perfect world you would chop right before you serve but what you are describing is what every place that caters would do for an event.  Chop, use the plastic wrap to hold the moisture and then foil.   Once you uncover it, stir it good and you should be fine.  You are serving for a big group at a church they aren't expecting Truth BBQ.   Could always add a little sauce if you are worried about moisture as well.    I promise it will be good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

It would be fine.  Yes in a perfect world you would chop right before you serve but what you are describing is what every place that caters would do for an event.  Chop, use the plastic wrap to hold the moisture and then foil.   Once you uncover it, stir it good and you should be fine.  You are serving for a big group at a church they aren't expecting Truth BBQ.   Could always add a little sauce if you are worried about moisture as well.    I promise it will be good. 

thanks man. probably will have some sauce on the side or do very minimal saucing to make it easier to scoop (serve yourselves)

38 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Sauce?

Fucking sauce?

He ain’t askin about bread. He asked about brisket.

It doesn’t take 5 minutes to chop it up. You can do that while people are showing up and nobody will notice.

...i am not chopping 2 full briskets for family and friends à la minute.

i'm sandbagging the hell out of it by cooking the night before + long rest.

nor am i going to get out of church, then go home to change, immediately chop 2 briskets, then go meet the rest of them where we are having this event.

5 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

When you set up your serving line put the sides and stuff first and your meat last so they don't have an empty plate to load a bunch of meat on.  They fill their plate with sides then get some meat at the end.  That will help your meat last longer.  Good luck!

Yup, catering 101 right there.

Also, if you long-slice the brisket off the flat, you can cut those in half or even thirds.  Women and children tend to leave a lot of uneaten meat on their trays, simply because slices are too long.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been covered upthread, but I couldn't stumble into it easily so will ask:

Smoking on Sunday, to take to fishing camp to be eaten either Wednesday or Thursday.

Instinct tells me to get it up to where I'd normally take it off to rest...but immediately into a plastic bag/wrap and on ice.  Then vacuum seal and keep in fridge.

On serving day, in a covered foil pan and into the oven at 170 ish until warm...then slice and serve.

Anyone got any input or revisions to this plan?

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

What was that cooler/boiling water trick someone used? They were driving to Dallas, picked up a frozen brisket from Franklin, and they put boiling water in their cooler.

Just throwing out an alternative if supplies are limited. 

It was Daniel Vaughn. I think it was exactly how you described and worked great for him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, thunderlounge said:

What was that cooler/boiling water trick someone used? They were driving to Dallas, picked up a frozen brisket from Franklin, and they put boiling water in their cooler.

Just throwing out an alternative if supplies are limited. 

A brisket that’s been frozen will need about 3.5 hours in a cooler with boiling water (at least 3 or 4 gallons) to heat back to good serving temp.  Just drop the vacuum packed brisket in there, pour the water in, then shut the cooler and wait.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick report and summary:

• Finished the cook in the oven overnight Sunday and pulled out around 5:00 AM Monday morning, right at the 195 mark;
  • Rested in foil-covered foil pan for an hour, and then into fridge;
  • Noon on Monday, into vacuum seal and into freezer;
  • Group declared that Brisket Night got moved up from Saturday to Wednesday (if I'd have known that, I wouldn't have frozen it);
  • Moved it into a cooler Tuesday night to begin slow-thaw;
  • Transported it on Wednesday;
  • About 6:00 PM took it out of bag and heated it in oven at 225 between 1.5 - 2 hours (I Googled "Reheating Aaron Franklin Brisket" and this was one of the options)
  • Sliced and served.

This actually turned out VERY good, and would do it exactly the same way again.  Feedback was that it was better than the one I last did with the same group that was served in the evening after it came off the smoker earlier that same day.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cooked 2 briskets for a friend's 50th.  Was able to fit them both on the big Joe.  I started it way too early in the evening for a 7pm party the next day.  I couldn't help it, needed to start drinking around dark and couldn't control myself 🤣.  They were done in the morning, just as my hangover woke me up.  So I put them in an aluminum pan with some chicken broth & covered with foil, 190 degrees all day.

At the party, was told by many folks it was the best brisket they'd ever had.

20230519_201604.jpg

20230520_065500.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

@dcbc I haven't cooked brisket since last year's school fair. I'm putting ~ 100 lbs on tonight. What's the latest? Render the trimmings and pour over flat before wrapping after room temp rest I gather?

What's worked best for me lately is to wrap in paper at the stall, cook until done, cut open the paper and  let it rest, at which point, I apply the rendered tallow like it was a PIllsbury cinnamon roll from the tube.  Once it's rested for about an hour, I wrap in foil, and put it in a cooler with towels filling up the headspace.

*Once I've rendered the tallow, I pour  it into a ziplock and let it congeal.  When it's go time, I cut the corner of the bag, and pipe it on like icing.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

What's worked best for me lately is to wrap in paper at the stall, cook until done, cut open the paper and  let it rest, at which point, I apply the rendered tallow like it was a PIllsbury cinnamon roll from the tube.  Once it's rested for about an hour, I wrap in foil, and put it in a cooler with towels filling up the headspace.

*Once I've rendered the tallow, I pour  it into a ziplock and let it congeal.  When it's go time, I cut the corner of the bag, and pipe it on like icing.

I trimmed these guys up pretty good but I had a metric ton of fat. A full stock pot full plus a 14" cast iron skillet. I have lids on both and have the burners set to 3. How long am I doing this? Do these large trimmings break all the way down or is it going to look more like grandma's dried up lady parts with some liquid under.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I trimmed these guys up pretty good but I had a metric ton of fat. A full stock pot full plus a 14" cast iron skillet. I have lids on both and have the burners set to 3. How long am I doing this? Do these large trimmings break all the way down or is it going to look more like grandma's dried up lady parts with some liquid under.

The latter.

c33ff3b0-3149-4fbd-bbd5-d800a041e216_scr

But you just want the juice.  I toss mine in a pot, watch when it starts to bubble, then put it on just above low or thereabouts.  I leave it on all night (induction stove; so no worries about the flame).  The next morning, I bag it and let it congeal

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Ha, I don't even have a working vent. My kitchen is getting torn apart for a complete remodel in ~ 2 weeks. Guess we will have to live with the stench. Large meats are on, hoping to change out the fuel basket on the offset in an hour or so and get 4-5 hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you have a lidded pot that you don't mind getting dirty on outside, just put it in your smoker to render with your cook! Holding 250-300 for hours is going to render your tallow perfectly, and no need for any indoor cooking or smell.

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

If you have a lidded pot that you don't mind getting dirty on outside, just put it in your smoker to render with your cook! Holding 250-300 for hours is going to render your tallow perfectly, and no need for any indoor cooking or smell.

Bruh I got on 108 lbs of brisket, 50 lbs of pork shoulder and 5 racks of spares, I ain't got no room for a lidded pot! Got that stuff bagged and tagged in the fridge hopefully gelling up. I thought I might try the same with my rib trimmings but that didn't go so well, even at very low temps the drippings burn up. 

• Hook 'Em 1